Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 01:03 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen

As for the GT cars, while they are certainly more enthusiast minded they are virtually unobtainable and out of reach financially for most.

Plus the dealer games with the GT cars are a joke. Porsche playing allocation and scarcity games with these so dealers can charge $20K-$100K++ over MSRP isn't looking out for the enthusiasts.

Does one need to spend almost $200K for a GT3 to get a "real" sports car?? Even then, it's overpriced for what it is. Should be a $150K car.

You've got $150K+ 992 Carrera S builds floating around here. That's nuts.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:11 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Name:  photo599.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  621.4 KB

How many times can they say "enthusiasts" in one email??
Old 12-21-2018, 01:43 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Plus the dealer games with the GT cars are a joke. Porsche playing allocation and scarcity games with these so dealers can charge $20K-$100K++ over MSRP isn't looking out for the enthusiasts.

Does one need to spend almost $200K for a GT3 to get a "real" sports car?? Even then, it's overpriced for what it is. Should be a $150K car.

You've got $150K+ 992 Carrera S builds floating around here. That's nuts.
Was talking to a guy with a 997 Turbo yesterday who has over 50 days at the track. He said good drivers in Miatas still kicked his *** because they are faster in the corners. So you can get a real "sports" car for about $30K (disclaimer - I have a Fiata Abarth and love it). I have a well optioned $115K 991.2 C2 on a ship right now and I don't think I will ever be good enough driver to need more power or better handling. Not that I'd turn down a GT3 But how many of us actually have the skills to handle such a car - I surely don't. Even the Fiata keeps me plenty on my toes...
Old 12-21-2018, 01:44 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Originally Posted by bonn72
Agree with what you say, Lucky Luke!

I miss those comics. Used to read them as a child in Germany (I'm in US now). I think you're the first person I see that knows about these and lives in the US.
Yes, I grew up with them as a child in Europe as well

And Asterix and Tin Tin!
Old 12-21-2018, 01:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,860 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
Was talking to a guy with a 997 Turbo yesterday who has over 50 days at the track. He said good drivers in Miatas still kicked his *** because they are faster in the corners. So you can get a real "sports" car for about $30K (disclaimer - I have a Fiata Abarth and love it). I have a well optioned $115K 991.2 C2 on a ship right now and I don't think I will ever be good enough driver to need more power or better handling. Not that I'd turn down a GT3 But how many of us actually have the skills to handle such a car - I surely don't. Even the Fiata keeps me plenty on my toes...
Pretty sure those Miatas aren't stock. If he's getting his *** kicked on the track in his 997T by stock Miatas, he's doing it seriously wrong. A Kia Stinger laps Laguna faster than the current Miata.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:54 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

It's raining in NorCal today, however did I possibly make it to work alive without wet mode???

Oh right by just not hamming the throttle like a moron when it's wet out. I think wet mode will cause more crashes when people think they can just do what they do in the dry and then go around a corner too fast and no wet mode on earth can save them.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:11 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Pretty sure those Miatas aren't stock. If he's getting his *** kicked on the track in his 997T by stock Miatas, he's doing it seriously wrong. A Kia Stinger laps Laguna faster than the current Miata.
YEs, you are probably right - I hadn't considered that. My Abarth Fiat isn't stock either.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:39 PM
FactoryMatt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
I don't agree and being part of that niche segment myself, I can say that I don't believe they are catering to our group properly because Porsche currently does not make a single new vehicle I'm interested in ( or able to ) purchase. Not being susceptible to marketing and valuing these cars purely on content is where they are falling very short in my opinion.

The 991.2 "T" was a sad half a$$ed attempt at a "purist" car because they made NO significant changes over the base car. It was the same muffled, over complicated government mandated engine. The suspension and chassis was also virtually identical. They also pretended to cater to the manual trans crowd but botched that as well by keeping the clumsy 7 speed manual with the economy minded tall gearing not offering an option to completely defeat the auto rev matching feature.

Porsche needs to learn that true enthusiasts aren't sold with fancy naming schemes, a few options and of course marketing and decals proclaiming the car is something that it isn't....

As for the GT cars, while they are certainly more enthusiast minded they are virtually unobtainable and out of reach financially for most.
hear hear. the new 718 T comes with PASM and active drivetrain mounts. cloth door pulls don't make up for that. that's not a T. less complexity pleaseee. Germans gonna German.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:44 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
It's raining in NorCal today, however did I possibly make it to work alive without wet mode???

Oh right by just not hamming the throttle like a moron when it's wet out. I think wet mode will cause more crashes when people think they can just do what they do in the dry and then go around a corner too fast and no wet mode on earth can save them.
Amen. I get that we need stability/traction control, but why is Porsche trying to sell us Wet Mode so much? So the car retards the throttle and raises computer control thresholds, but really do we need the deployed spoiler?
The problem I usually have in the rain is other drivers, not my car.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:46 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Received 670 Likes on 321 Posts

And Asterix and Tin Tin!
Nice! I read those as well. Good stuff.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:52 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FactoryMatt
hear hear. the new 718 T comes with PASM and active drivetrain mounts. cloth door pulls don't make up for that. that's not a T. less complexity pleaseee. Germans gonna German.
You can always get a 4C.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:08 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by dkhm3
Amen. I get that we need stability/traction control, but why is Porsche trying to sell us Wet Mode so much? So the car retards the throttle and raises computer control thresholds, but really do we need the deployed spoiler?
The problem I usually have in the rain is other drivers, not my car.
Because in China they're pure consumers. Not creators or innovators.

"CHING CHANG CHONG, *floors it in in the rain". AHHHHHHHH *crash*"

Sounds about right.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:16 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

And Asterix and Tin Tin!
I am in US - I love Asterix and Tin Tin comics....I have the full collection
Old 12-21-2018, 04:17 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by captainkirk
I am in US - I love Asterix and Tin Tin comics....I have the full collection
Old 12-21-2018, 04:19 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Because in China they're pure consumers. Not creators or innovators.

"CHING CHANG CHONG, *floors it in in the rain". AHHHHHHHH *crash*"

Sounds about right.
wtf?

Quick Reply: Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.