Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Mandatory Low Jack

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 06:16 PM
Amir1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Mandatory Low Jack

My TTS is scheduled to arrive at the dealer in the next week or so. (Southern CA). The Sales Rep advised me that the dealer is installing low jack. Its "Mandatory" ie, this dealer installs it on all new Porsches and I can't say no! Its $1200. (Obviously, Its a money grab) They are also "Mandatorily" charging $220 for a free key replacement. (I checked and the free key replacement can be ordered from any dealer). Basically they are adding about $1500 in "Goods". I couldn't get them to waive the Low Jack. I offered to buy $1200 worth of goods at their store instead, but that's a no go as well. I'm considering calling Porsche after a month or so and claim I lost my key and get the free replacement. Heck, if i'm paying for a free third key, might as well get it. As to the Low jack, it comes with 5 years service activation. Since I can't opt out, is there any value to it? The rep stated it also has geofencing etc, but doesn't Porsche offer that already thru its onboard systems? Anyway, it sucks, and its very unprofessional in my opinion, but then again, i'm getting my TTS for "ONLY" 5K ADM, so I guess I can't complain that much. On a side note, I thought 5K ADM back in July was crazy. But given all the problems Porsche and the VW group are having right now, it turned out OK for me after all. (Shipping delays, chip shortages, boat sinking, production shut downs since their wire harnesses are made in Ukraine, and... it looks like the 2024 TTS will be a hybrid, and based on how things are going right now, not to many additional TTSs will be built by then. So my 2022 TTS is a keeper despite the dealer getting greedy)
Old 03-09-2022, 06:27 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 555 Likes on 408 Posts

Yeah, totally sucks when dealers insist on charging for things you can happily do without. Maybe you qualify for a lower insurance cost on the car with the Low Jack installed?

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 03-09-2022, 07:01 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,237 Likes on 712 Posts

They have a factory version of lojack installed (its not lojack, it's porsche's own proprietary tracking). This is a PURE SCAM on behalf of the finance department and should be absolutely illegal. Again, this is ALL finance department scams so they can live the highlife.
The following 4 users liked this post by 911dude41:
Highline-Autos.com (03-09-2022), lucycan (03-10-2022), ONEOFNONE (03-16-2022), SB27 (03-12-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 07:22 PM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 174 Likes on 108 Posts

Back in the day, you would have told them you won't take it with the added "features" and they would have removed them before delivery.

Today, if you say you won't take it unless they remove those extra "features", they'll just turn around and sell it to the next guy at a premium.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:48 PM
Engro
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 170 Posts

Are you financing with Porsche or bank arranged through the dealer? I find it hard to believe a lowjack is required for a car paid off or financed with another bank Non Porsche
Sucks either way
Old 03-09-2022, 07:51 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,364 Likes on 636 Posts

Doesn't Porsche offer their own theft recovery system through My Porsche Connect?
Your dealer is therefore forcing you into a system that is directly competing against Porsche. You should indeed report them to Porsche USA.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:57 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Originally Posted by DES GTS
Back in the day, you would have told them you won't take it with the added "features" and they would have removed them before delivery.

Today, if you say you won't take it unless they remove those extra "features", they'll just turn around and sell it to the next guy at a premium.
Yup, it totally blows knowing that they're gonna hack your car installing some crappy 3rd party aftermarket components that are not designed for your car. They have you by the ***** unfortunately. Offer to pay and buy it but tell them not to install it on your car because you don't want it to be molested.

What's next? VIN etching in the glass?
Old 03-09-2022, 09:17 PM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 262 Likes on 133 Posts

Mine is going to try to require PPF/tint and/or PMSP and I am not looking forward to that strong arm conversation but at least I have no ADM on top of it. I already have my PPF guy set up. Maybe the PMSP ends up being a wash at is more livable than LoJack.

darn shame it’s a bad situation but at least you are still in the money on the car.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:40 AM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 160 Posts

Assuming you're not paying an ADM, I'd happily pay for some dealer add-ons. I've managed to find a "no-ADM" dealership who will be able to secure me at GT3 within the next 1-2 rounds of allocations, but they were up front and told me they require about $10K of add-ons, including low-jack, full PPF (for Turbos and GT cars, just front PPF for Macans etc), and some kind of "interior protection." Personally, I'd rather pay $10K for services which are of some value.

If you don't want low jack, perhaps you can ask if you can PPF the car instead or purchase other high-margin finance dept junk like an extended warranty. I told my dealer I wouldn't want the low-jack on the hypothetical GT3 because I'm afraid of electric gremlins, and they said other dealer-supplied options (tinting, etc.) would be fine as long as the total package value is the same or higher.

What sucks is they didn't tell you this up front. And yes, it's a money grab and they overcharge vs getting PPF at a detail shop, but I think it's better than an ADM IMO.
Old 03-10-2022, 03:51 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Amir1
My TTS is scheduled to arrive at the dealer in the next week or so. (Southern CA). The Sales Rep advised me that the dealer is installing low jack. Its "Mandatory" ie, this dealer installs it on all new Porsches and I can't say no! Its $1200. (Obviously, Its a money grab) They are also "Mandatorily" charging $220 for a free key replacement. (I checked and the free key replacement can be ordered from any dealer). Basically they are adding about $1500 in "Goods". I couldn't get them to waive the Low Jack. I offered to buy $1200 worth of goods at their store instead, but that's a no go as well. I'm considering calling Porsche after a month or so and claim I lost my key and get the free replacement. Heck, if i'm paying for a free third key, might as well get it. As to the Low jack, it comes with 5 years service activation. Since I can't opt out, is there any value to it? The rep stated it also has geofencing etc, but doesn't Porsche offer that already thru its onboard systems? Anyway, it sucks, and its very unprofessional in my opinion, but then again, i'm getting my TTS for "ONLY" 5K ADM, so I guess I can't complain that much. On a side note, I thought 5K ADM back in July was crazy. But given all the problems Porsche and the VW group are having right now, it turned out OK for me after all. (Shipping delays, chip shortages, boat sinking, production shut downs since their wire harnesses are made in Ukraine, and... it looks like the 2024 TTS will be a hybrid, and based on how things are going right now, not to many additional TTSs will be built by then. So my 2022 TTS is a keeper despite the dealer getting greedy)
You should be happy Amir that you are getting a 100% ICE Turbo S. The 2024 911 Turbo S may be a hybrid which is unappealing to me.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:51 PM
Amir1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 115 Posts

I offered the dealer to give me $995.00 (The price of the low jack) in store credit instead. Those item in the store are high margin items. But so far no luck. Then again, i'm one of the few lucky ones to get a TTS and it was "ONLY" 5K over. Keep thinking positive....
Old 03-10-2022, 07:46 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnauto
You should be happy Amir that you are getting a 100% ICE Turbo S. The 2024 911 Turbo S may be a hybrid which is unappealing to me.
what is the problem that you have with the possibility that the 2024 (992.2?) TurboS/Turbo may be a hybrid - particularly without knowing its specs?

i ordered and purchased my (ICE-only) 992TTS in 2020-2021 but would certainly be open to adding or substituting a hybrid 992TTS when the specs are known.

Last edited by peterdouglas; 03-10-2022 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:36 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by peterdouglas
what is the problem that you have with the possibility that the 2024 (992.2?) TurboS/Turbo may be a hybrid - particularly without knowing its specs?

i ordered and purchased my (ICE-only) 992TTS in 2020-2021 but would certainly be open to adding or substituting a hybrid 992TTS when the specs are known.
More weight, more complexity, less agile, less nimble, and even more cost.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:47 PM
911dude41
Drifting

The 992 TTS is heavier than the 991/2 and it's more complex, agile, and nimble.. No?
The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 08:59 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

i was curious how you (or anyone, for that matter) could have developed an unsubstantiated negative bias against a TTS-hybrid without knowing any specs.

do you have any objective facts you would like to share with the group about the next-gen TTS?

(or any other objective facts that support your negative view)

Quick Reply: Mandatory Low Jack