Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Cold feet -- Anyone regret their TT/S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 06:18 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Calbenzo
Beautiful!! As I see GB here, I like it more and more!
If you like what you are seeing here online, just wait til you see a GB in the flesh…..
That’s what sold me away from my initial choice!
Old 08-25-2021, 07:18 AM
pdk992turboS
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=wintershade;17614310]So I accepted an allocation for a TTS yesterday, but I was up all night tossing and turning. Kind of getting cold feet. My concerns are:
1) Is the car just too fast? (You know... "more fun to drive a slow car fast... than a fast car slow..."). My 992 C4S is pretty damn fast. Would I really want more power on the street? Is the acceleration really even accessible / usable? I don't look good in orange stripes.
2) I worry I'll miss the engagement / fun factor of the MT in my Carrera. The PDK is no doubt a technical marvel in its own right.
3) Money isn't really a factor here (I'm not stretching my budget for the TTS), but I could trade my C4S for a GTS (there are some options I'd like to change) and have enough budget to pick up a GT4 for track work or a Spyder for top down cruising. Two cars vs 1 super car....
4) I worry a little bit about parking the TTS, wanting to baby it too much, etc. given the price tag. Will be my most expensive car purchase. That said, I used to feel that way about some of my more expensive Langes and Journes (babied them at first) and now rock them on the sailboat like they're a Rolex.

Get it. You have nothing to lose ... literally. I was offered 40 more after taxes due to the lack of inventory at dealers and chip shortage. Even if it sits in your garage for 6mo to a year, you can sell it for more. I always get cold feet when buying cars like these. No regrets, its an incredible engineering feat, so solid, super fast, sounds amazing with sport exhaust at full throttle, superb fit and finish (they've come a long way since the 996's quality), lightning fast shifts.
The following users liked this post:
typehxr1 (12-04-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 10:34 AM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by riotgear
The 992 TTS has become one of my favorite cars of all time.
That's a pretty strong statement given the cars in your stable!
Old 08-25-2021, 10:38 AM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ss2z06
Thank you
Nice!! I have a gentian blue cab with sport design package arriving in a few months. It's going to be a long wait.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:41 AM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by pdk992turboS
Get it. You have nothing to lose ... literally. I was offered 40 more after taxes due to the lack of inventory at dealers and chip shortage. Even if it sits in your garage for 6mo to a year, you can sell it for more. I always get cold feet when buying cars like these. No regrets, its an incredible engineering feat, so solid, super fast, sounds amazing with sport exhaust at full throttle, superb fit and finish (they've come a long way since the 996's quality), lightning fast shifts.
I'm not sure if I want to bank on that. My TTS wouldn't arrive until early spring. Who knows what the market will look like next summer. Preowned TTS prices right now are a bizarre market anomaly. In the past Turbo depreciation has been pretty awful, the initially depreciation hit on high-option cars especially. The TTS shortage seems to be coming to an end. I was offered two at MSRP by two dealers just in the last few weeks.

I'm taking one out for an extended test drive next week. I think that will help me decide. I've just never found an automatic transmission all that fun to drive. Maybe the brutal acceleration and lightening fast PDK will change my mind. There is not doubt that the MT in the Carrera lineup leaves a lot of performance on the table but nailing perfect shifts is fun.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:44 AM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Honestly, I'm just kind of bummed. There is not perfect 911 for me. What I really want is a NA GT engine, 6MT, a livable suspension set-up, and backseats.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:31 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade
Honestly, I'm just kind of bummed. There is not perfect 911 for me. What I really want is a NA GT engine, 6MT, a livable suspension set-up, and backseats.
Get a GT3 Touring and put back seats in it. This has been done many times before.

Last edited by riotgear; 08-25-2021 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:36 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,027 Posts

You're describing a 991 GTS
Old 09-02-2021, 09:58 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by riotgear
Get a GT3 Touring and put back seats in it. This has been done many times before.
How is this done? Can you please share some examples?
Old 09-04-2021, 08:08 AM
HoYeah
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

How is this done? Can you please share some examples?
same topic but on 991

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-possible.html
Old 09-04-2021, 08:50 AM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
I suspect you are overthinking this.

A C4S to a GTS would be a waste. The two cars will be far too similar to be worth the trouble. 2 cars is not necessarily better than one. Personally, I'd rather have one superior car than two inferior cars. Not to say the GT4 is inferior, but it's a very different driving animal. If you are really dedicated to track, then there are all kinds of great options that you could easily afford in addition to the TTS. I would do the same if I had the garage space.

Re: Manual: I have an aircooled car with a manual that I use to scratch that itch. Personally, that's something I need to have. I love PDK and I love manual. They are both phenomenal in different ways. The way PDK delivers power is pretty addictive in its own right.

One thing I like about the TTS is that it's relatively low key for a car of its capability. I suspect most couldn't tell the difference between it and your C4S. For me that's a positive and should ease your mind about parking. Your watch analogy is a good one.

Bottom line - the TTS is just a cool car. It's the best Turbo that Porsche has made in a long time and they did a *really* great job on improving dynamics. I think it will go down as one of the best 911s Porsche has ever made.
Thanks all for the advice. And you’re right RD-K I’m overthinking this (like usual).

I went for an extended test drive in the TTS. WHAT A MACHINE! Truly a wolf in sheep’s clothing. And if I take a big step back and am honest with myself, it’s the “right” car for me. It will make a safe and civilized daily with legal backseats for short trips with my kids, and will be able to slay backroad and infrequent track days.

I nearly went with a Targa 4S, but the backseats were so compromised (much narrower and they lean forward which looked miserable) and I prefer the classic shape of the coupe. If I want open top, I’ll get a Spyder which is IMO the most beautiful Porsche period and quite reasonably priced.

I want a GT3, but who are we kidding, on crappy New England roads and limited time for track days for the next couple years, what’s the point? And if I can’t bring my kids along safely, well that ruins half the fun and will cut opportunities for seat time in half.

A GTS would be a lateral move. And it’s a lot of money for a car that’s not nearly as special as the TTS. The slipper slope of “If I’m spending $170, I may as will spend $240 reigns supreme.”

Soooooo…. I spoke to my SA and we’re doing it. We’re going with the TTS. I’m sure I’ll ask for help with a few options here and there, but for now is my build code: PNAE3WX6

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNAE3WX6

Last edited by wintershade; 09-04-2021 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:15 AM
ER911S
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 134 Posts

Congrats and that's the right move. The car is truly a Jekyll&Hyde. gentle DD and super car slayer at a push of button. You wont be disappointed
May I suggest a cost saving? I debated on that option as well but since you chose a coupe, the leather back seats are expensive and you can't really enjoy them.
The following users liked this post:
Steve 96C4S (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 02:28 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Thanks ER — It’s funny, so many people including my SA say to drop the leather seat backs but I see them on my 4S every time I fold the seat down to put my son back there. It doesn’t bother me too much on the 4S because the plastic is the same color as the standard dark silver trim, but on the Turbo the trim is bright silver and it will drive me nuts that the seat backs don’t match anything. I figure the carbon trim, carbon door sills, and carbon inset seat backs will all tie together nicely. It’s all about the details in the never ending quest for perfection.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:48 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Thanks ER — It’s funny, so many people including my SA say to drop the leather seat backs but I see them on my 4S every time I fold the seat down to put my son back there. It doesn’t bother me too much on the 4S because the plastic is the same color as the standard dark silver trim, but on the Turbo the trim is bright silver and it will drive me nuts that the seat backs don’t match anything. I figure the carbon trim, carbon door sills, and carbon inset seat backs will all tie together nicely. It’s all about the details in the never ending quest for perfection.
Wait a minute, the seat back on the all black interior is BRIGHT silver? Bright? It doesn't look bright in the pics I've seen. It's not a muted, very dark silver that will look great in an all black interior with GT Silver deviated stitching? Are you sure? I picture bright silver as... well, not a good match for an all black interior. I too am debated spending $2500 on the leather with carbon seat backs option instead of saving the money and not doing it. No one will sit back there except for the occasional (rare) package and mine would be coupe too, but it seems special to have the leather with the inlay.

I'm also debating getting ACC (adaptive cruise control) too since I will never ever use it. I never do on my current 4 door. But would it look better with that cool little ball of technology up front and center on the car instead of looking like a barren wasteland without it there? And Night Vision. Seems so cool to have for when I'm driving through the country at night which is rare but.... for $2500+, hmmm, I guess I can live without it. I have for my entire life, never hit a deer ....yet.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:58 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

FWIW, I went from a 991 4S to a 991 GT3. I test drove the 991 Turbo S and felt it was too similar (speed aside) compared to my 4S. My 992 TTS feels more like my 991 GT3 in terms of handling and suspension.

Quick Reply: Cold feet -- Anyone regret their TT/S?