Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

992 TTS 1st to 2nd manual upshift fail

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 10:34 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
I'm breathing life into this thread to report what Porsche service personnel and customer support have told me about the 1-2 shift failure. I'm wondering if anyone on this forum can shed light of a possible root cause. Like many of you, this does not occur often (but perhaps as many as two or three times in an outing) and it has not affected my enjoyment of the car at all. It is amazing. Over the past several weeks, I've tried to get an answer from customer support at Porsche NA. A response yesterday was that tech personnel had not received reports of this and there have been no field actions. I said that was not sufficient and sent him background info as presented here. He will forward the information to Porsche's tech staff.

I drive in manual mode with paddles and "M" selected on the console about 98% of the time, so I don't know if this occurs in Auto mode (Normal, Sport, Sport+). Any experience with missed shifts in auto mode?

With over 2,000 miles on our 992 TTS (2021), I'm continuing to experience missed shifts.

Two knowledgeable service advisors at two dealerships said this reflects the fact that the transmission is learning about my driving style; however, taking the engine to 4-5,000 rpm when cold after I triggered a shift at about 2,500 rpm is not how I normally drive the car - even when warmed up given where I'm typically driving. Canyon carving, Porsche club drive events are few and far between. I am surprised that the car would learn driving styles in manual mode, although we're just taking the place of the software. I do reserve Sport+ for when I'm really on it (e.g., canyons) because I don't want it to learn an around-town driving style. I'd be interested if anyone can shed light on how and when PDK "learns" driving style.

Other Porsche service advisor explanations included "holding the revs until the catalytic converters are up to temperature". One of the advisors above said that the car is "confused" when driving it in a sporty fashion with paddle shifters in Normal mode, and added that software programming might be different for CA cars, although my 992 TTS was purchased while I was living in VA. When registering the TTS (and our Cayenne e-hybrid) in CA at the DMV, I did see that both cars have a US emissions sticker and a CA emissions sticker although both were purchased in VA, which appears to be standard practice among automakers.

One poster here raised the fact that transmission oil is more viscous than engine oil, although, I am seeing missed shifts when the car is warm.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Had an issue like this with another car and it was a flaw in the ECU programming that the German manufacturer never solved despite 4 upgrades in their software and the re-flashes on the car improved the issue, but did not eradicate….no choice but to sell the car after no solution…..sometimes there is no fix unfortunately with original software mapping….manufacturer never acknowledged the flaw, but had plenty of possible reasons that did not assist - weather, fluid temp, etc...….…..

After having worked with German companies for 15 years and when they are confronted with customer complaints, the answer is always evasive and also characterized as "we might not right, but are never wrong", so there is no issue….....or another about an issue....we always tell the truth, but not all of it......this governs their mentality.........Also....Having worked with companies from the Netherlands for 10 years, they would say, "yes there is a problem, but let's party and have a few beers and all will be better".....

Last edited by abiazis; 02-10-2023 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:48 PM
rustyk
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

Happens when fully warm in regular or sports mode. I’ve never replicated the issue when in Sport Plus. It’s like the ECU forces the PDK to be more aggressive in Sport Plus.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:40 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,364 Likes on 636 Posts

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
I'm breathing life into this thread to report what Porsche service personnel and customer support have told me about the 1-2 shift failure. I'm wondering if anyone on this forum can shed light of a possible root cause. Like many of you, this does not occur often (but perhaps as many as two or three times in an outing) and it has not affected my enjoyment of the car at all. It is amazing. Over the past several weeks, I've tried to get an answer from customer support at Porsche NA. A response yesterday was that tech personnel had not received reports of this and there have been no field actions. I said that was not sufficient and sent him background info as presented here. He will forward the information to Porsche's tech staff.

I drive in manual mode with paddles and "M" selected on the console about 98% of the time, so I don't know if this occurs in Auto mode (Normal, Sport, Sport+). Any experience with missed shifts in auto mode?

With over 2,000 miles on our 992 TTS (2021), I'm continuing to experience missed shifts.

Two knowledgeable service advisors at two dealerships said this reflects the fact that the transmission is learning about my driving style; however, taking the engine to 4-5,000 rpm when cold after I triggered a shift at about 2,500 rpm is not how I normally drive the car - even when warmed up given where I'm typically driving. Canyon carving, Porsche club drive events are few and far between. I am surprised that the car would learn driving styles in manual mode, although we're just taking the place of the software. I do reserve Sport+ for when I'm really on it (e.g., canyons) because I don't want it to learn an around-town driving style. I'd be interested if anyone can shed light on how and when PDK "learns" driving style.

Other Porsche service advisor explanations included "holding the revs until the catalytic converters are up to temperature". One of the advisors above said that the car is "confused" when driving it in a sporty fashion with paddle shifters in Normal mode, and added that software programming might be different for CA cars, although my 992 TTS was purchased while I was living in VA. When registering the TTS (and our Cayenne e-hybrid) in CA at the DMV, I did see that both cars have a US emissions sticker and a CA emissions sticker although both were purchased in VA, which appears to be standard practice among automakers.

One poster here raised the fact that transmission oil is more viscous than engine oil, although, I am seeing missed shifts when the car is warm.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
It seems the two “knowledgeable” SA are not that knowledgeable. The PDK only “learns” your driving style when in Auto mode. In Manual, you are the one deciding when the shift occurs, so there is not much “learning” required from the PDK.

The only time I see there could be an additional delay when shifting, is when the PDK does not have the right next gear pre-selected (i.e. when driving in 3rd, PDK has 4th preselected anticipating an upshift but you decide to downshift in 2nd instead), bau that delay is only a couple of tenths of a second and is barely noticeable. Further, that delay does not apply to a 1-2 shift, because 2nd gear is the only next gear possibility.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-09-2023 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-10-2023, 12:54 AM
rustyk
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

Learning your style… what BS…. We’re talking Manual mode, when the PDK should react instantaneously to your every input. (This isn’t an Audi where the transmission does whatever it wants)

The car should shift when you tell i… especially when you floor it.

The issue is that in Manual with Normal or Sport mode, the transmission is “overwhelmed” and does not respond to your shifts.. (when fully at temp)

At Sport +, the transmission is most compliant and behaves….
Old 02-10-2023, 11:38 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

FWIW my few missed 1-2 gear shifts when cold have vanished. Haven't seen it in months. I start the car and drive off in normal mode, in regular D. Let it shift a few gears after a few minutes, and I'm over to M mode.

My car only has 1350 miles on it. But one thing I've noticed in the last couple hundred miles is the added quickness in shifting in manual mode- the first 500 miles or so it was pretty slow...it's now damn near my 991.2 GT3 in terms of shift characteristics in sport mode. (lower revs, of course)

Last edited by chance6; 02-12-2023 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 12:03 AM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default I appreciate the posts.

Originally Posted by chance6
FWIW my few missed 1-2 gear shifts when cold have vanished. Haven't seen it in months. I start the car and drive off in normal mode, in regular D. Let it shift a few gears after a few minutes, and I'm over to M mode.
Thanks. Worth a try.

I appreciate the recent additional comments. I have supplied Porsche Customer Support examples of my experience and, without names/handles of course, the experiences of other owners. The individual I am working with is the rep who initially said that Porsche is not aware of reports of 1-2 missed shifts and that I should speak to someone in my dealer's service department - been there, done that, see above. I questioned was it software, a mechanical issue converting from the 7-speed to 8-speed PDK? I cannot believe that Porsche GmbH owners in Germany have not experienced this. I love my TTS and it's only at the moment that there is no upshift and the kid in the 20-year-old econo-box with bondo on all corners thinks it's a drag race. But, seriously, I cannot believe no one in Porsche has experienced this or considers it abnormal. That's all folks.
Old 02-15-2023, 07:10 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Had this annoying thing happen to me again yesterday driving into work. The car was warmed up, in Sport and Manual modes, and it would just not upshift when I pulled the paddle. Quite annoying and makes one look like an idiot revving it to 6,000 rpm in first gear.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-15-2023 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-15-2023, 10:51 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 656 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Had this annoying thing happen to me again yesterday driving into work. The car was warmed up, in Sport and Manual modes, and it would just not upshift when I pulled the paddle. Quite annoying and makes one look like an idiot revving it to 6,000 rpm in first gear.
Ditto
Old 02-15-2023, 11:52 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyankovich
Hi, I have less than 1k miles on my 992 TTS and half a dozen times on different drives, while in manual, and leaving from a stop the paddle pull from 1st to 2nd doesn't shift out of 1st....2nd pull worked all but once where I had to pull the paddle 2 more time...I've had lots of PDK cars and never experienced this.....it never happens for any other upshift, only 1st to 2nd...and never happens on any downshift. Anyone run into this? And yes the dealer is checking service bulletins/etc.
Must be an ECU issue that needs an updated re-flash and Porsche hasn’t found a solution yet. Any updates they have done apparently are not effective.

Does this issue happen with all 992 TTS years? More prevalent in 20s, 21s, 22s or 23s?

They may never find a solution until they change electrical components….

I have been holding off on buying a new TTS after reading these posts as it seems like a real issue.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:40 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by abiazis
Must be an ECU issue that needs an updated re-flash and Porsche hasn’t found a solution yet. Any updates they have done apparently are not effective.

Does this issue happen with all 992 TTS years? More prevalent in 20s, 21s, 22s or 23s?

They may never find a solution until they change electrical components….

I have been holding off on buying a new TTS after reading these posts as it seems like a real issue.
This minor intermittent annoyance should not hold you back in getting the car.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:55 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

This minor intermittent annoyance should not hold you back in getting the car.
Had a car that did this, even after 3 ECU re-flashes and a not for me experience at any price point.

Hopefully it will be determined that it is with the early cars only and if the later years don't have this issue, I will go for a CPO.
Old 02-15-2023, 02:53 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,267 Likes on 730 Posts

PDK flash from M Engineering
Old 02-15-2023, 04:53 PM
Mickey D
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
Ditto
what mode were you driving in?
it seems like most if not all the occurrences in this Thread were in Normal and Sport mode (manual shifting). Has anyone experienced it in auto and/or Sport + manual shifting?
Old 02-15-2023, 05:14 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

All years of 992 TTS effected ?
Old 02-16-2023, 12:07 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Mine is a 2022...it did it maybe 3-4 times in normal mode and once in Sport mode, but that was in like October. Since then, I've had no issues. Damn thing is an absolute beast ...I was on I-88 tonight and the damn thing simply WALKS away from other cars with a simple jab of the throttle. And I'm still in Break-in btw. < 4200 rpm.

Quick Reply: 992 TTS 1st to 2nd manual upshift fail