Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

992 TTS 1st to 2nd manual upshift fail

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 09:39 PM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
@Pete C Thanks so much for following up after your service. I hope that you are completely finished with failed 1-2 shifts. The image of your work order is especially important so that others can show that to their service advisor if there is any doubt that a software upgrade exists. It is interesting that the work order indicates that the failure was observed during the service advisor’s test drive. Your earlier posts indicated that you were seeing the failed shifts fairly often. Do you have any tips and tricks for demonstrating the failure? I’m not optimistic that I’ll be able to do “failure on demand” when I bring my car in.

if you have a moment, what did you mean by needing to have the car re-flashed. Oh, BTW, in Sport and Sport+, auto stop/start is disabled and is grayed out on the PCM. If my engine is fully warmed up and I’m at an intersection where I know I’ll be stuck for up to 4 or 5 minutes, I rotate the selector from Sport to Normal to shut off the engine. If I’m driving in Normal, I turn off stop/start from the outset along with selecting sport exhaust, which is always on in Sport and Sport+. Maybe I was influenced by what others said on this forum, but after about 2,000 miles, the engine seemed to free up and the sport exhaust sound got bigger and deeper.

Presumably Porsche Cars NA relies on service department employees to provide feedback on issues and solutions. If you have an occasion to speak with your contacts at the dealership, it might be helpful to ask them to provide feedback to PCNA regarding your repair.

I’m really pleased that your initial experience has been positive and thanks again for giving us an update. I’ll do the same when I have my annual service and presumably the software flash in a couple weeks.
Cheers!
Happy to share to help the community! My car exhibited this problem close to 30% of the time on moderately hard acceleration’s in first gear. Fortunately they were able to re-create the problem on their end. I have the M engineering software tune on my car, which was over written which I was referring to. That will need to be redone now. I’ll ask the service advisor if they report these types of issues and if there is a response I’m happy to share the info.

I’ll follow up after more seat time to confirm the problem is resolved.

The following users liked this post:
AtTheGlen (08-11-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 04:29 PM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

Reporting back - I’ve driven the car a few times over the past couple of days and still all good!
AtTheGlen (08-18-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 06:23 PM
rustyk
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

Same. No issue since receiving the update over a month ago
AtTheGlen (08-18-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 08:19 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,165 Likes on 687 Posts

What MY are your cars that are having this issue?
Old 08-19-2023, 08:32 PM
rustyk
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

2022, Feb build. Now no issue since update
Old 08-20-2023, 12:44 AM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

‘22 also
Old 08-20-2023, 03:23 AM
petermcm
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First car was MY 22 but my MY 23 does it as well
Old 08-20-2023, 04:32 AM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts

2021 Turbo S: April '21 build; late May '21 delivery.
radar979 (08-20-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 05:48 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Default PDK Software Update???

I checked in with my service advisor to see if there are any work orders open for my VIN.

He responded:"The only recall that is open on your car is for a emission label.
WPA6 Replacing engine data adhesive label"

I'm going to check in with another local dealer who told me a couple months ago that there was a PDK s/w update that he was willing to try but in was not indicated for my VIN. I might re-check with him.

Old 09-30-2023, 09:08 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,267 Likes on 2,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozy190
I thought I was nuts and it was in my head. My TTS also does this and have hit the rev limiter a few times because of it.

Have had updates, service etc. Hasn't solved it.

I thought I was crazy, happened to me for the first time today on my ‘22 GTS with 2,500 miles.
Old 09-30-2023, 10:04 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Default Maybe the Service Advisor Was Right

Today I was driving my TTS in sport mode and in “auto” mode, not “M”. I was surprised shortly after leaving my house that the car held in first gear longer than I expected after the traffic light turned green. I wasn’t accelerating quickly. Several months ago, my Service Advisor said that the car is holding first gear in order to warm up the catalytic converters quickly. I wasn’t convinced and it didn’t make a big impression when I posted it on this thread. But I am wondering if, in order to meet EU emissions regulations/levels, they programmed PDK to prevent short-shifting when cold. If so, the effort to conform to EU regs has resulted in a situation where we are inadvertently revving the engine higher than we would ordinarily want to do during warmup. I guess we should not underestimate the impact of the EU regs. VW won’t offer a manual transmission after 2024 in their Golf and R, and the Cayenne Turbo GT is not available in the EU. I’ll reach out to an SA I know at another dealer and I will be at my dealer next week and will check again there.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:13 AM
PorscheSince2013
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 162 Posts

I just learned the PDK update is for builds after week 48 2021.

Porsche does not yet have an update for earlier cars, but are supposedly working on it.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:49 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,267 Likes on 2,101 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheSince2013
I just learned the PDK update is for builds after week 48 2021.

Porsche does not yet have an update for earlier cars, but are supposedly working on it.
Do you know the official name of the update so I can schedule the appointment?
Old 10-03-2023, 10:42 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,354 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
Today I was driving my TTS in sport mode and in “auto” mode, not “M”. I was surprised shortly after leaving my house that the car held in first gear longer than I expected after the traffic light turned green. I wasn’t accelerating quickly. Several months ago, my Service Advisor said that the car is holding first gear in order to warm up the catalytic converters quickly. I wasn’t convinced and it didn’t make a big impression when I posted it on this thread. But I am wondering if, in order to meet EU emissions regulations/levels, they programmed PDK to prevent short-shifting when cold. If so, the effort to conform to EU regs has resulted in a situation where we are inadvertently revving the engine higher than we would ordinarily want to do during warmup. I guess we should not underestimate the impact of the EU regs. VW won’t offer a manual transmission after 2024 in their Golf and R, and the Cayenne Turbo GT is not available in the EU. I’ll reach out to an SA I know at another dealer and I will be at my dealer next week and will check again there.
I don’t think so. The upshift fail also occurs with an engine that is fully warmed up. Further, what it is way worse than a slow cat warm up is to rev a cold engine to 5k+ rpm, which is what happens when the upshift fails. I seriously doubt it is intentional.
Old 10-03-2023, 01:04 PM
turbonator
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

This could be a safety issue if one is trying to merge into fast-moving traffic from a stop. Imagine bouncing off the rev limiter while someone behind you is approaching at 50-60 mph.

Quick Reply: 992 TTS 1st to 2nd manual upshift fail