Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

992 TTS 1st to 2nd manual upshift fail

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 08:17 PM
SWxSec
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
Happens to me in normal driving modes and in a straight line.
Does this happen when short shifting under heavy throttle? Or are you fully wound out?
Old 05-21-2023, 12:28 AM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Post #28, This Thread, 11/2021: “Recipe” for Replicating Missed 1-2 Shifts

[QUOTE=petermcm;17809697]I have managed to get a video of my car not changing to 2nd from 1st which I have sent to the dealer. They are doing whatever diagnostics on Tuesday and sending it all off to Porsche.
i managed to replicate this issue on 5 out of 6 attempts. The technique, not that there should be one, is:-
normal mode in manual.
come to a complete stop having braked hard so car stops quickly
pull away briskly using say 25% throttle
as car hits 4000 rpm pull the up shift paddle
5 out of my 6 attempts the shift from 1st to 2nd does not happen….[/QUOTE

Regarding short-shifting, cornering and RPM level. I see occasional missed 1-2 shifts when accelerating at a normal to brisk pace and intending to shift at about 2,500 to 3,000 RPM, and by the time I have the first miss, I’m up at or above 4,000 RPM (and the driver of the 180-HP, 20-year-old beater next to me thinks I’m drag racing!). I have used the technique in the quote to replicate missed shifts, but not with the frequency of the poster.

I will try replicating missed shifts while turning as that had been brought up before. It is encouraging to see that Porsche appears to be aware. I sent a follow-up message to my contact at Porsche Customer Support who called me a couple weeks ago to say that there was a Tech Bulletin on it, but my service advisor hadn’t seen it. I am hoping that it is software only and not a mechanical design issue arising from the conversion to the 8-speed from the 7-speed PDK, perhaps done too quickly to achieve mileage and emissions targets. I can’t believe that my Turbo S is only turning 1,400 RPM at 60 mph.
Old 06-12-2023, 04:10 PM
Ozy190
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 70 Posts

I thought I was nuts and it was in my head. My TTS also does this and have hit the rev limiter a few times because of it.

Have had updates, service etc. Hasn't solved it.
The following users liked this post:
RD16RR (06-12-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 04:49 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Default Following Up Again with Porsche NA

@Ozy190 Thanks for your post. My 911 is over two years old and first gear still hangs up on occasion. I quoted your comment (but with no reference to your name/handle) this morning as I again forwarded my ongoing email string to Porsche Customer Relations and Porsche Customer Support. This last email was a bit more snarky.

I did receive a call a few months ago saying that there was a software update available for this issue, but my SA could not find any reference to it and the Porsche NA customer “service” rep never responded to my request for the number and name of the bulletin. If convenient, check with a service advisor at a dealer that you’ve used as ask them if they have seen a PDK update that specifically addresses failed 1-2 shifts in manual mode. I believe there is an update out there but Rennlist members said it didn’t eliminate the problem. This is crazy.

Thanks again.
fleadh (06-18-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 01:56 PM
sensei_tts
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 95 Posts

some folks are saying that 'the car is warmed up'. maybe the engine is warmed up but are you sure the transmission is at proper operating temps? i generally drive my performance vehicles for a good 5-10min in normal drive mode and another 5min or so in sport before giving it the business in sport+. everything always works as expected when the car (engine and transmission) are properly warmed to operating temperature. i personally don't see an issue with needing to be at proper temps for full functionality,.
Old 06-23-2023, 02:12 PM
rustyk
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

I received my SW update last Fri but haven’t retested. Will post after this weekend - will be taking the TTS on a trip to Charleston.

If, 2-hours into the drive, it still does it, I think we can rule out transmission temps.

Like sensei - I don’t push until at full temps, and even then, it’s progressive (sport before sport+).

The last time this happened, I was 30-min into my drive…. Would hang in Sport but not Sport +. The fact that it would re-hang in Sport after performing fine in Sport +, makes me believe it’s SW.
Old 07-14-2023, 08:23 AM
Pete C
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyk
I received my SW update last Fri but haven’t retested. Will post after this weekend - will be taking the TTS on a trip to Charleston.

If, 2-hours into the drive, it still does it, I think we can rule out transmission temps.

Like sensei - I don’t push until at full temps, and even then, it’s progressive (sport before sport+).

The last time this happened, I was 30-min into my drive…. Would hang in Sport but not Sport +. The fact that it would re-hang in Sport after performing fine in Sport +, makes me believe it’s SW.

Any updates? I’ve had this happen several times now. Partial or WOT, short shift or close to redline.
Last night was an aggressive take off from a light (not floored) and manually shifted @5500-6k, had to pull the paddle 2x to get it to shift. Someone mentioned the wheel cannot be turned, mine was dead straight last night and fairly certain the same when it occurred previously.On occasion, I had this happen on a 2011 Gallardo but no other car before that or after until this one.

Last edited by Pete C; 07-14-2023 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-15-2023, 02:56 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 544 Posts

Unfortunately, after reading this entire thread, this sounds like a ECU engineering design issue that will be quite a challenge to resolve, if ever, until the 992.2 arrives.

I have had several cars that have had similar ECU related issues, had multiple software upgrades via multiple re-flashes with no resolution ever found.

Appears this has effected this 2020-present 992.1 TTS model, for 3 years, as an inherent issue that just may not be possible to be resolved. Porsche will not admit or take accountability that it is a real issue, but they keep referring to dealers for service without any real fix or update that works.

For this price range of vehicle, not excusable. This may be its stigma going forward as these cars change hands.

Last edited by abiazis; 07-19-2023 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2023, 04:24 PM
Pete C
Pro

I contacted my dealer yesterday and based on my VIN he said there is an update available to address this problem.

I’ll update this post after I get the car back.
Old 07-15-2023, 04:52 PM
rustyk
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

I am cautiously optimistic that the update does indeed address.

I received the latest SW update 3-weeks ago before an extended trip to Charleston.

I have not been able to replicate the issue since.

Honestly, the dealer didn’t indicate the update had any bearing on the upshift issue. But it was in the back of my mind..

Ever since, I’ve found the PDK to be more responsive overall - in both manual and auto modes.

Fingers crossed……
Mcx (07-15-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 10:44 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Default Is the S/W update real? Is the 1-2 shift failure unfixable?

Originally Posted by Pete C
I contacted my dealer yesterday and based on my VIN he said there is an update available to address this problem.

I’ll update this post after I get the car back.
That's good intel. Thanks. I hope this does work out for you. In addition to letting us know about what you learn from the service advisor about the update (e.g., is it specific to the failed 1-2 shift issue or the general S/W update that has been around for a while as I understand it), please let us know what the number or other i.d. is for the update. I'll check with my service advisor to see if he can find this update bulletin.

Originally Posted by abiazis
Unfortunately, after reading this entire thread, this sounds like a ECU engineering design issue that will be quite a challenge to resolve, if ever, until the 992.2 arrives.

I have had several cars that have had similar ECU related issues, had multiple software upgrades via multiple re-flashes with no resolution.

Appears this has effected this model as an inherent issue that just may not be possible to be resolved. Porsche will not admit it is a real issue.
I've had a suspicion since early on that, in going to the 8-spd PDK to achieve better mileage/emissions numbers, there might have been design issues in either the mechanical bits or the programming that could not be worked out prior to launching the 8-spd PDK. At one point I thought this might be an 8-spd-only problem, but there have been a few reports of similar issues with 992 GT3s, which have the 7-spd PDK. I had the 7-spd PDK in three 911s (997.2, 991.1, 991.2) and never had a missed shift even though I almost always drive in "M" with the paddles. As with most owners who have posted on this thread, I make sure that the drivetrain is warmed up before driving and shifting above around 2,500 RPM (except when the 1-2 shift fails!).

UPDATE: About a week ago, I followed up with PCNA Customer Support and Customer Relations to say that I was not receiving any replies after several contacts and that I would elevate this through my GM if I didn't hear back. I received a message saying someone would get back to me in one or two days. That didn't happen, so yesterday I sent an email with background on this issue to the PCNA VP, Public Relations and the PCNA Spokesperson for 911, Boxster and Cayman. I had planned to send it to the head of Porsche NA, but he resigned a few days ago. I'll update this thread when I hear back.
The following 2 users liked this post by AtTheGlen:
abiazis (07-19-2023), Mcx (07-16-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 10:52 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Default Great feedback on your recent S/W update!

Originally Posted by rustyk
I am cautiously optimistic that the update does indeed address.

I received the latest SW update 3-weeks ago before an extended trip to Charleston.

I have not been able to replicate the issue since.

Honestly, the dealer didn’t indicate the update had any bearing on the upshift issue. But it was in the back of my mind..

Ever since, I’ve found the PDK to be more responsive overall - in both manual and auto modes.

Fingers crossed……
Thanks for posting. That's encouraging news. For any of us who will want to test the effectiveness of the S/W update, the person who posted message #28 in this thread had a pretty good protocol for reproducing the problem.
Old 07-19-2023, 03:38 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Default Had a Call From Porsche Customer Support

In response to emails that I sent to two members of Porsche NA senior management, I received a response from a Team Lead in Customer Support. I learned that for issues like this one re: failed 1-2 shifts, Porsche wants the owners to make an appointment with Porsche Service with the expectation that anything learned from the customer visit will be routed back to PCNA’s service personnel. Perhaps I’m a bit watchful about who drives my cars so I don’t go out of my way to leave my car at a dealership unless I have an issue or there is a known tech bulletin that applies to my VIN. That said, I did agree to follow that recommendation. The last time I checked with my service advisor as well as two others at dealerships where I had bought Porsches in the past, I was told that there were no open software updates for my car. That was a while ago, so I will recheck. If there is an update that had been done already, I will be OK repeating it.

I appreciate receiving the response and the person with whom I spoke was receptive to my comments about the previous failures to receive a response or to have my emails directed to the appropriate department. In my follow-up email to the call, I again summarized the failure modes that owners have experienced when manually shifting our 992 PDK cars. I will provide an update once I have been to the service department, which should be in early August.
abiazis (07-19-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 10:12 PM
Pete C
Pro

Just picked up my car this afternoon. It was a full software upgrade including the PCM. Tried a few hard hits and so far so good. I’ll report back

THE NEGATIVE- if your car is flashed like mine was, it will need to be re-flashed again.

Can someone confirm this? In stock software form, in Sport mode, does the Auto start annoying feature disappear? It does now but I cannot remember what it did before.

The following 2 users liked this post by Pete C:
eclou (08-09-2023), Oliverb1! (12-10-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 03:11 AM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks for the update!

Originally Posted by Pete C
Just picked up my car this afternoon. It was a full software upgrade including the PCM. Tried a few hard hits and so far so good. I’ll report back

THE NEGATIVE- if your car is flashed like mine was, it will need to be re-flashed again.

Can someone confirm this? In stock software form, in Sport mode, does the Auto start annoying feature disappear? It does now but I cannot remember what it did before.
@Pete C Thanks so much for following up after your service. I hope that you are completely finished with failed 1-2 shifts. The image of your work order is especially important so that others can show that to their service advisor if there is any doubt that a software upgrade exists. It is interesting that the work order indicates that the failure was observed during the service advisor’s test drive. Your earlier posts indicated that you were seeing the failed shifts fairly often. Do you have any tips and tricks for demonstrating the failure? I’m not optimistic that I’ll be able to do “failure on demand” when I bring my car in.

if you have a moment, what did you mean by needing to have the car re-flashed. Oh, BTW, in Sport and Sport+, auto stop/start is disabled and is grayed out on the PCM. If my engine is fully warmed up and I’m at an intersection where I know I’ll be stuck for up to 4 or 5 minutes, I rotate the selector from Sport to Normal to shut off the engine. If I’m driving in Normal, I turn off stop/start from the outset along with selecting sport exhaust, which is always on in Sport and Sport+. Maybe I was influenced by what others said on this forum, but after about 2,000 miles, the engine seemed to free up and the sport exhaust sound got bigger and deeper.

Presumably Porsche Cars NA relies on service department employees to provide feedback on issues and solutions. If you have an occasion to speak with your contacts at the dealership, it might be helpful to ask them to provide feedback to PCNA regarding your repair.

I’m really pleased that your initial experience has been positive and thanks again for giving us an update. I’ll do the same when I have my annual service and presumably the software flash in a couple weeks.
Cheers!

Quick Reply: 992 TTS 1st to 2nd manual upshift fail