Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

To PDCC or not

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 11:58 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,262 Likes on 589 Posts
Default To PDCC or not

I am about to finalize the spec for my upcoming 992TT May production. So the configuration will lock up soon.

Since my TT will also serve track duty for 20-25 days per year, I was set on getting all of the go-fast goodies, which include S-PASM and PDCC.

However, having just read the Auto Motor und Sport Supertest of the 992TT-S, I am now questioning my choice of speccing PDDC. Here's the quote from the article (excuse the lame Google translate):

"Cause research, point 2: In the absolute limit range, the PDCC roll assistant filters out almost all Nordschleife bumps. It feels a bit like floating over the Nordschleife on a hovercraft. As a result, the feedback not only appears somewhat synthetic and slightly decoupled, but it also leads to unforeseen vehicle reactions. The Turbo S never really signals to its driver on the Nordschleife that the limit range has been reached. And once the limit has been reached, this 911 suddenly becomes sharp."

Any thoughts from other track junkies? Is PDCC the way to go or should I skip it?
Old 03-02-2021, 01:36 PM
Staff@WORLD
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 218 Likes on 129 Posts

One of my reasons for ordering a Turbo instead of a Turbo S was the opportunity to order it without that option. The only reason the 991 and 992 has any hydraulics is for the sway bar end links. When ordered without that option the car is delivered with no hydraulics at all at that means the hydraulic pump, which is driven off the drive belt is now eliminated. To me, that's just a bonus.

You will not find any RS cars getting delivered with those options either.

To each their own. I know many people with have a very different opinion when it comes to this but I am happy to get a car without this option.
- Akrapovic - BMC - TechArt - H&R - By Design - AMS - CSF - Kline - NGK - TiLugs - HRE - M Engineering - ID Injectors -
FULL SERVICE INSTALLATION FACILITY - STATE OF THE ART WIND TUNNEL DYNO - ECU TUNING
WORLD-MOTORSPORTS.COM
The following users liked this post:
CanAutM3 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 01:38 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Staff@WORLD
One of my reasons for ordering a Turbo instead of a Turbo S was the opportunity to order it without that option. The only reason the 991 and 992 has any hydraulics is for the sway bar end links. When ordered without that option the car is delivered with no hydraulics at all at that means the hydraulic pump, which is driven off the drive belt is now eliminated. To me, that's just a bonus.

You will not find any RS cars getting delivered with those options either.

To each their own. I know many people with have a very different opinion when it comes to this but I am happy to get a car without this option.
Good point about the hydraulics: so no PDCC also means less weight and less drag on the engine.

Any thoughts on the track handling effects?
Old 03-02-2021, 02:01 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,270 Likes on 644 Posts

I went no PDCC...car handles like its on rails with SPASM anyways. Always love managing weight transfer on the track regardless of the seconds it may cost me not having a program do it for me.

All about the joy of the drive...

Last edited by Pad Bender; 03-02-2021 at 02:02 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Pad Bender:
CanAutM3 (03-02-2021), emix75 (03-08-2021), Tumbleweed (03-03-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 02:08 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 762 Likes on 481 Posts

I do not track my street cars and love these two options for the street, with a DSC controller, and lowering springs it will be set.
Frank Abe (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 02:28 PM
Staff@WORLD
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 218 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Good point about the hydraulics: so no PDCC also means less weight and less drag on the engine.

Any thoughts on the track handling effects?
I don't know how it will alter the cars handling on the track. I have never driven a car on a road course before so I am the worst person on the forum to give advice on that.

I do have a lot of drag racing experience and our shop caters to that drag racing, 1/2 mile and street racing customer base. If you are purchasing your car for pure acceleration purposes than I would recommend going this route.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:30 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 167 Posts

I am about to finalize the spec for my upcoming 992TT May production. So the configuration will lock up soon.

Since my TT will also serve track duty for 20-25 days per year, I was set on getting all of the go-fast goodies, which include S-PASM and PDCC.

However, having just read the Auto Motor und Sport Supertest of the 992TT-S, I am now questioning my choice of speccing PDDC. Here's the quote from the article (excuse the lame Google translate):

"Cause research, point 2: In the absolute limit range, the PDCC roll assistant filters out almost all Nordschleife bumps. It feels a bit like floating over the Nordschleife on a hovercraft. As a result, the feedback not only appears somewhat synthetic and slightly decoupled, but it also leads to unforeseen vehicle reactions. The Turbo S never really signals to its driver on the Nordschleife that the limit range has been reached. And once the limit has been reached, this 911 suddenly becomes sharp."

Any thoughts from other track junkies? Is PDCC the way to go or should I skip it?
canaut -

20-25 track days a year is a lot. I highly encourage you to 'keep your powder dry' and switch the allocation over to the GT3. It is purpose built for track usage and I think you will be much happier in the long run. Even for street usage the GT3 will be fine. I was very happy with my 991 doing about the same as you propose.
The following 2 users liked this post by redyps:
heshalosny (03-07-2021), Tumbleweed (03-03-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 02:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,289 Likes on 4,974 Posts

Originally Posted by redyps
canaut -

20-25 track days a year is a lot. I highly encourage you to 'keep your powder dry' and switch the allocation over to the GT3. It is purpose built for track usage and I think you will be much happier in the long run. Even for street usage the GT3 will be fine. I was very happy with my 991 doing about the same as you propose.
I dunno about that. A 992 TTS is a very capable track toy. On equal tires, it will outrun a GT3. Granted the running costs might be higher (more pads and tires due to the greater weight) but a person loses nothing by tracking a TT/TTS versus a GT3.

Different driving experiences perhaps, but both equally good and enjoyable.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
alibo70 (03-07-2021), Tumbleweed (03-03-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 02:43 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by redyps
canaut -

Thanks for the advice, but I understand the compromise I am doing with the TT not being the "ideal" track car. I am looking for a dual use car, one that can serve as a 4-season daily driver as well as my track addiction. Multiple friends of mine all are unanimous in saying they would not consider daily driving their own GT3/GT3RS as they are too uncomfortable for that (some even trailer their cars to track because they find them too harsh for the street). Further, I also need the rear seats to schlepp the kiddies (7 and 10) around on occasion. The 992TT seems to fit that overall bill quite well.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-02-2021 at 02:44 PM.
MaxLTV (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 02:46 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
I went no PDCC...car handles like its on rails with SPASM anyways. Always love managing weight transfer on the track regardless of the seconds it may cost me not having a program do it for me.

All about the joy of the drive...
According to AM&S, they feel that PDCC actually made them slower by making the car less predictable at the limit. And that's from a pro-driver. I found that quite interesting. I wonder if PDDC could also be (at least in part) the source of the criticism from Motortrend about driving the TT-S on track.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-02-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:03 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,289 Likes on 4,974 Posts

According to AM&S, they feel that PDCC actually made them slower by making the car less predictable at the limit. And that's from a pro-driver. I found that quite interesting. I wonder if PDDC could also be (at least in part) the source of the criticism from Motortrend about driving the TT-S on track.
I wonder, if as AM&S noted, some of the issue they experienced with the TTS was due to the tires, or lack of true "sport tires".

Also, with respect to PDCC specifically, I think part of the reason why GT cars do not have it (even as an option) is more for weight savings because I think at the end of day, one can simply adjust their driving styles to account for PDCC's behavior.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:03 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

On these forums, considering the posts I've seen over the years from folks who track their car, I've most frequently seen NOT having PDCC and ceramic brakes as the reason(s) to get a TT over a TTS. I've never seen anyone on the GT3* forums wish that they could have specced PDCC (and though ceramics is a slight mix, it's generally not preferred either).
CanAutM3 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 03:06 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I wonder, if as AM&S noted, some of the issue they experienced with the TTS was due to the tires, or lack of true "sport tires".

Also, with respect to PDCC specifically, I think part of the reason why GT cars do not have it (even as an option) is more for weight savings because I think at the end of day, one can simply adjust their driving styles to account for PDCC's behavior.
Most definitely. The lack of optional R-comp tires for the 992TT/TT-S is their #1 case in point for their "slower than expected" 'ring lap time:

"Cause research, point 1: You can perhaps compensate for the slightly slipping tire grip in Hockenheim with larger sideslip angles, but on the Nordschleife this will only succeed to a limited extent. In the Hockenheimer right bend in front of the Mercedes grandstand, for example, you stab relatively relaxed, because you have the asphalt run-off zone next to the piste in the back of your mind as an emergency solution. There are no emergency solutions on the Nordschleife, as the run-off zones are tiny. Slipping or smearing driving behavior robs you particularly of trust. On the Nordschleife, it helps the driver if the tire presents him with a reliable and precisely defined limit range.

The advantage of the PASM sports suspension, which is available as an option for the Turbo S for the first time, is counteracted by the lack of a designated sports tire. The sports suspension includes shorter springs with sportier spring rates and a different set-up for PDCC roll compensation. Lowering? Yes, by ten millimeters. Despite the sports suspension, the cornering speeds of the 992 Turbo S with Pirelli P Zero NA1 are, with a few exceptions, slower than those of the 991.2 Turbo S on Corsa tires."

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-02-2021 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:12 PM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

Most definitely. The lack of optional R-comp tires for the 992TT/TT-S is their #1 case in point for their "slower than expected" 'ring lap time:

"Cause research, point 1: You can perhaps compensate for the slightly slipping tire grip in Hockenheim with larger sideslip angles, but on the Nordschleife this will only succeed to a limited extent. In the Hockenheimer right bend in front of the Mercedes grandstand, for example, you stab relatively relaxed, because you have the asphalt run-off zone next to the piste in the back of your mind as an emergency solution. There are no emergency solutions on the Nordschleife, as the run-off zones are tiny. Slipping or smearing driving behavior robs you particularly of trust. On the Nordschleife, it helps the driver if the tire presents him with a reliable and precisely defined limit range.

The advantage of the PASM sports suspension, which is available as an option for the Turbo S for the first time, is counteracted by the lack of a designated sports tire. The sports suspension includes shorter springs with sportier spring rates and a different set-up for PDCC roll compensation. Lowering? Yes, by ten millimeters. Despite the sports suspension, the cornering speeds of the 992 Turbo S with Pirelli P Zero NA1 are, with a few exceptions, slower than those of the 991.2 Turbo S on Corsa tires."
The good thing is that the 992 GT3 shares the exact same front and rear tire sizing as the Turbo S, so N-spec Cup 2 and Cup 2R tires should be available soon.
CanAutM3 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 06:30 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by frankchn
The good thing is that the 992 GT3 shares the exact same front and rear tire sizing as the Turbo S, so N-spec Cup 2 and Cup 2R tires should be available soon.
Agreed, it will be decent compromise since they are optimized for a 400lb lighter RWD car, so to optimal for the 992TT/TTS. It would have been preferable to have an optimized R-comp for the TT/TTS.

Quick Reply: To PDCC or not