Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Considering 992 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 11:59 AM
Td33
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I think it comes down to what people feel comfortable spending. For me I buy the S. Some talk about just tuning the TT, but this comes with possible warranty issues.

I tuned and had other mods on my 991.2. When I went to trade, with a Porsche dealer, it became a nightmare!. All the mods had to be removed including the tune. They allowed the exhaust to stay on. This had to be done so they could certify the car. If I didn’t do it they wanted nothing to do with the car. My 720s spider, I wanted to put on an exhaust, which my dealer would gladly do. Then they tell me mclaren will immediately flag my car so I didn’t touch the car.

Anyways you can’t go wrong with either car. Both will put a smile on your face.

992 S on order and looking forward to it.

Last edited by Td33; 02-10-2021 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:23 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I believe the TT has a slightly wider powerband that peaks a smidge earlier than the TTS. I suspect real separation between the two occurs at triple digits. The TTS has slightly different turbos, but I don't think lag is an issue in comparison.

Equally equipped and taking value out of the equation, I think it would be a pretty subtle difference at street speeds. I do believe it would be noticeable, but not like the difference between a Carrera and a Turbo. Conversely, the weight of the two cars are the same, so you aren't getting a lighter Carrera T like experience. It's the same car, but slower.

All speculative, of course. And no one specs a Turbo with PDCC and PCCBs, so true comparisons are almost impossible.

I do know this - when I had a 991.2 TT, I never said "I wish this thing had more power". I did, however, say "I wish I didn't spend so much on options and just stepped up to a Turbo S". Picking spec on a Turbo is a tricky balance.
Agree with the triple digit remark,...most previous 991.X tests of TTS vs. TT are pretty stone code even up to and slightly beyond 100 mph and then the S pulls out a a 10th or two. Not at all important to me for city driving and even back roads. Track maybe. It will be interesting to see the 992 versions compared sometime in the future.

For the "only money" remarks of the thread - yeah it is,...but if I ordered today it would still be a TT - as I'm also on the list with deposit down for a new daily driver (New Golf R - these things are a complete hoot to drive) which will run in the low $40s. So 2 very cool and fast cars for my "monies" instead of one extra letter One to carve up traffic daily, and not worry too much about,...and the other well it's a 911 Turbo (any variety) - nuf said.

Last edited by Rocket_boy; 02-10-2021 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:07 PM
coastal
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Td33
I think it comes down to what people feel comfortable spending. For me I buy the S. Some talk about just tuning the TT, but this comes with possible warranty issues.

I tuned and had other mods on my 991.2. When I went to trade, with a Porsche dealer, it became a nightmare!. All the mods had to be removed including the tune. They allowed the exhaust to stay on. This had to be done so they could certify the car. If I didn’t do it they wanted nothing to do with the car. My 720s spider, I wanted to put on an exhaust, which my dealer would gladly do. Then they tell me mclaren will immediately flag my car so I didn’t touch the car.

Anyways you can’t go wrong with either car. Both will put a smile on your face.

992 S on order and looking forward to it.
I have been debating between S Cab and TTS Cab, both with Exclusive Manufaktur and Extended Exclusive Manufaktur interior, and about every option box checked.
Price with differing discounts I've received, the S Cab was (MSRP 208k) and $210k out the door, Turbo S Cab was (264k MSRP) and $275k out the door. $65k difference.

I don't track, so still have the S Cab build locking soon..the only thing in the back of my mind is thinking about future trade-in and looking at total net cost after resale...will my S Cab purchase have ended up costing me close to the same as the TTS Cab would have over a 4-5 year timeframe. "Yeah it's only money, etc.." and it's not going to harm me financially to buy the TTS Cab, but I just am not sure if I want that extra power around town with our 35-40mph speed limits everywhere. Maybe the 1 year covid lockdown has me forgetting about the joys of cross country travel... I've tried the math to compare my sky high optioned S Cab vs moderately high optioned TTS Cab, but haven't come to a firm conclusion yet.

Old 02-10-2021, 02:12 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Agree with the triple digit remark,...most previous 991.X tests of TTS vs. TT are pretty stone code even up to and slightly beyond 100 mph and then the S pulls out a a 10th or two. Not at all important to me for city driving and even back roads. Track maybe. It will be interesting to see the 992 versions compared sometime in the future.

For the "only money" remarks of the thread - yeah it is,...but if I ordered today it would still be a TT - as I'm also on the list with deposit down for a new daily driver (New Golf R - these things are a complete hoot to drive) which will run in the low $40s. So 2 very cool and fast cars for my "monies" instead of one extra letter One to carve up traffic daily, and not worry too much about,...and the other well it's a 911 Turbo (any variety) - nuf said.
Yeah I really don't think performance metrics would be a major differentiator. Not having back to back driven these cars, though, it's hard to say if subjectively the TTS feels more brutal. It would not surprise me at all to hear of a subjective difference. Hard to eliminate bias, of course.
Beating a dead horse here, but I think the most compelling argument for a TT vs TTS is the relative value of the spec you choose. If you're selecting a bunch of options that come stock on a TTS....
Old 02-10-2021, 02:29 PM
Td33
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by coastal
I have been debating between S Cab and TTS Cab, both with Exclusive Manufaktur and Extended Exclusive Manufaktur interior, and about every option box checked.
Price with differing discounts I've received, the S Cab was (MSRP 208k) and $210k out the door, Turbo S Cab was (264k MSRP) and $275k out the door. $65k difference.

I don't track, so still have the S Cab build locking soon..the only thing in the back of my mind is thinking about future trade-in and looking at total net cost after resale...will my S Cab purchase have ended up costing me close to the same as the TTS Cab would have over a 4-5 year timeframe. "Yeah it's only money, etc.." and it's not going to harm me financially to buy the TTS Cab, but I just am not sure if I want that extra power around town with our 35-40mph speed limits everywhere. Maybe the 1 year covid lockdown has me forgetting about the joys of cross country travel... I've tried the math to compare my sky high optioned S Cab vs moderately high optioned TTS Cab, but haven't come to a firm conclusion yet.
When I say S I mean the TTS not the TT. I think you’re talking about the 4s? Sorry for any confusion. I’m addictive to the speed and the way the tts delivers it. It’s so user friendly. 65k a lot of money, at least to me, but if you can comfortably swing it I would get the tts and never look back. You still have a great driving car for most times, but then have a beast when you want it. This is what puts a smile on our faces at the end of the day IMO. I told my wife I’m going to the grave a very poor man lol.

Glad to hear there are discounts and sounds like you have your choice of allocations. I was able to get a small discount on the tts after having a VERY difficult time getting an allocation.

Good luck on your decision.

Last edited by Td33; 02-10-2021 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:19 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
I have yet to see any instrumented performance tests on a TT...anyone else?
Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Nope - and I think I know why It's all orchestrated by Porsche,....the masters. Turbo S announced first - lauded by just about every tester - order pipeline fills up. Turbo announced some time after - but built in very small numbers the first year. (can't harm those initial quarter million dollar S sales) Road / instrumented tests between the two are non-existent,....hmmmm, wonder why. A couple of reviews of the turbos - but no real performance data included.

Same thing happened with the 991 generations - and when all was said and done the Turbo was always within 1 or 2 10ths of second of the TTS - there was even one test (have to dig it up) where the Turbo showed 1/10th faster than an S. The two are just so close in performance it's almost a wash - but I'm betting the profit on the average TTS is much greater compared to the average TT.

Same pro driver, same tires, same track:

992 Turbo hot lap Hochenheim -

992 Turbo S hot lap Hochenheim -
The following users liked this post:
AlterZgo (02-13-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 05:33 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 648 Posts

you the man Peter! I do note this car had PCCBs.

Well that's faster than last turbo s and just tucked in behind the GT2RS.
https://fastestlaps.com/tests/2m84a6leue3i

Last edited by Pad Bender; 02-10-2021 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:43 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I will be more than happy with 992 Turbo as is with no sport design or aero wing etc coming under 190k . Is it true that we have to wait 6-9 months for a 992 turbo coupe allocation ?
Old 02-12-2021, 10:10 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

My personal opinion is that a $210K Carrera S Cab is going to depreciate like a rock. I would not be inclined to do that (that's using polite language) - unless you want to do this one time personally ordered car to the hilt and don't care about resale or will keep it for a very very long time. If you care about resale or are looking at 4-5 years dont do that. Options do not retain their value unless they are "must have" options to facilitate the sale. But once you are at $210 for a Carrera S - you should and most everyone will be looking at TT's or moderately optioned TTS as alternatives at that price point.
The following 2 users liked this post by rodsky:
coastal (02-12-2021), rk-d (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 10:29 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Do you have a build code on your S Cab?

I'm very curious to see what a $210k S looks like.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:03 PM
coastal
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Do you have a build code on your S Cab?

I'm very curious to see what a $210k S looks like.
Sure, $208k S cab http://www.porsche-code.com/PM5UKE35
Canceled it and replaced with a $270k TTS Cab
http://www.porsche-code.com/PM1DGCD3

The following 3 users liked this post by coastal:
Pad Bender (02-13-2021), rewardforsuccess (02-13-2021), sexfiend (02-15-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 11:08 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

LOL
Old 02-12-2021, 11:33 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Nice. The TTS is definitely cooler. I don't think you're going to regret that choice.
coastal (02-12-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 12:50 PM
rewardforsuccess
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

Owned.
sexfiend (02-15-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 01:03 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

I think that's a wise move. Another way to look at it - if you ordered the $210K Carrera S (I would assume the dealer would make you submit - if they could legally) a significant deposit so as to ensure you don't back out. Once it arrives and you wanted to sell it, as you literally drove it off the lot, you could not even come close to getting your money back - maybe $180K if you are very lucky. On the other hand, the TTS at least for the next year while demand is strong and I would suspect for some time, will retain its value because its a TTS of course. There are very few cars that can do what it does (performance wise, handling wise, and still be used to go grocery shopping or drive daily to work). Don't get me wrong - a Carrera S is a great car in the $120-$160K range. Its not a $210K car - unless you are doing a last hurrah, last Porsche order with European Delivery and want Exclusive options and a story to tell someone and be visually reminded of that until the end of time, when you get in your Carrera S..

Congrats on the TTS order..
coastal (02-13-2021)

Quick Reply: Considering 992 Turbo