Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Considering 992 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 10:10 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,294 Likes on 653 Posts

6 weeks since my TT delivery and nothing but smiles. Its hard to imagine how a TT could disappoint if you are cool with having a slightly more athletic twin.

I spec'd it to my pleasure but held off on most of the TTS goodies like PDCC, CL wheels, PCCB and carbon. Car still performs like a champ and looks killer.

Took the 30k and put it towards those extras like PPF, winters, gas, car washes, race cats, kids school...the list goes on.

No regrets here.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:19 PM
Salj
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
6 weeks since my TT delivery and nothing but smiles. Its hard to imagine how a TT could disappoint if you are cool with having a slightly more athletic twin.

I spec'd it to my pleasure but held off on most of the TTS goodies like PDCC, CL wheels, PCCB and carbon. Car still performs like a champ and looks killer.

Took the 30k and put it towards those extras like PPF, winters, gas, car washes, race cats, kids school...the list goes on.

No regrets here.

Glad to hear! Any impressions on the race cats yet?
Old 02-09-2021, 12:37 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Race cats have been a pleasure this weekend. Sounds are definitely more dynamic and can get attention...got a couple of claps from other drivers. The engine seems just a little more flexible with a better exhale. I do notice a more punch with the throttle.

Couldn't do a full run most of the roads were ice and snow covered where I was...more to come.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:22 AM
Sorcerer 11
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I think center locks are a thing of beauty - one big lug nut or 5 small ones, you choose. It just takes the right tool. To each his own.
Originally Posted by redyps
+1 on the center locks
Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Agree - I've had center locks before - and with the right tools they are just as easy as 5 lugs.

Funny - but I just pick the wheel design I like best - and don't really care if they are center locks or not. Whatever the case I'm ready for either.
Agree with all these comments. Had them on my 2014 991 Turbo as well.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:25 AM
Sorcerer 11
Racer

No regrets here.
Great to hear you are loving your car, whether TTS or TT, they are awesome cars.
The following users liked this post:
Pad Bender (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 08:23 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah but that 1%.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:20 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

I have yet to see any instrumented performance tests on a TT...anyone else?
Old 02-10-2021, 12:08 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 331 Likes on 219 Posts

I have yet to see any instrumented performance tests on a TT...anyone else?
Nope - and I think I know why It's all orchestrated by Porsche,....the masters. Turbo S announced first - lauded by just about every tester - order pipeline fills up. Turbo announced some time after - but built in very small numbers the first year. (can't harm those initial quarter million dollar S sales) Road / instrumented tests between the two are non-existent,....hmmmm, wonder why. A couple of reviews of the turbos - but no real performance data included.

Same thing happened with the 991 generations - and when all was said and done the Turbo was always within 1 or 2 10ths of second of the TTS - there was even one test (have to dig it up) where the Turbo showed 1/10th faster than an S. The two are just so close in performance it's almost a wash - but I'm betting the profit on the average TTS is much greater compared to the average TT.

Last edited by Rocket_boy; 02-10-2021 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:31 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,502 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Nope - and I think I know why It's all orchestrated by Porsche,....the masters. Turbo S announced first - lauded by just about every tester - order pipeline fills up. Turbo announced some time after - but built in very small numbers the first year. (can't harm those initial quarter million dollar S sales) Road / instrumented tests between the two are non-existent,....hmmmm, wonder why. A couple of reviews of the turbos - but no real performance data included.

Same thing happened with the 991 generations - and when all was said and done the Turbo was always within 1 or 2 10ths of second of the TTS - there was even one test (have to dig it up) where the Turbo showed 1/10th faster than an S. The two are just so close in performance it's almost a wash - but I'm betting the profit on the average TTS is much greater compared to the average TT.
I've only read one review where the reviewer drove the Turbo first followed by the Turbo S. That reviewer preferred the TTS, but of course it's just one opinion and it's subjective.

The 991.2 TT and TTS had very similar power bands and graphs. Real world performance was very similar.

To be fair the delta between the TT and TTS in the 992 generation is quite a bit more than the 991.2. Whether that translates to real world differences is hard to say. At a 70HP difference, I think it's fair to say there is going to be a difference. $25,000 difference worth? If you want PCCBs (+/- PDCC, Center locks, carbon interior trim and Matrix lights)....then I'd say yes.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:15 AM
Sorcerer 11
Racer

Wonder how the road tests would fair if both the TT and TTS were dressed identically, the TT with the TTS wheels, PCCB's and an S emblem on it making it look identical.
Wonder how many would actually tell the difference if they didn't actually know which was which??
Old 02-10-2021, 04:06 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 300 Likes on 199 Posts

Quite a few cars require drastic tunes and upgrades in order to "catch up" to the next trim level model. In the case of modern forced induction 911s, a simple tune will allow a lower trim car to achieve par or even surpass the higher trim version. For example, a base model 991.2 with an ECU tune will make close to GTS power. A Carrera S with the same tune will certainly make more power than a stock GTS. With such a small spread between the TT vs. TTS, the potential is even greater. Of course, a tuned TTS will be king but with other mods, the spread between a similarly tuned TT and TTS most likely will be minute. The question is, will you risk to pay to play?
If 0.1 second difference out of the box is that important, the Turbo S is your choice. It's only money and life is short!
Old 02-10-2021, 07:36 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sorcerer 11
Wonder how the road tests would fair if both the TT and TTS were dressed identically, the TT with the TTS wheels, PCCB's and an S emblem on it making it look identical.
Wonder how many would actually tell the difference if they didn't actually know which was which??
Part of what makes a Turbo S is all that extra stuff. If you fit a Turbo to match the stock Turbo S configuration, the price balloons to $194k. At that point, the question becomes -- is the extra 70 HP worth $10,000.

That said, I think the differences on a track would probably be clear. Farting around town at legal speeds? Might be hard to tell.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:48 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

On the street, where TQ is king, I am willing to bet there is no real palpable difference. TQ is not far off (553 vs 590 and peak TQ band is fatter on the TT at 2250-4500) Im already hitting 0-60mph in 3.0 seconds slipping like hell on winter tires in subzero temps.

Clearly, the TTS shines on the 1/4 and track and would be expected to have a performance gap. Thats the 70 hp, pdcc and pccb working hard for your dollars.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:04 AM
Sorcerer 11
Racer

Originally Posted by rk-d
Part of what makes a Turbo S is all that extra stuff. If you fit a Turbo to match the stock Turbo S configuration, the price balloons to $194k. At that point, the question becomes -- is the extra 70 HP worth $10,000.

That said, I think the differences on a track would probably be clear. Farting around town at legal speeds? Might be hard to tell.
I wasn't suggesting you would actually spec a TT to TTS, just merely wondering if anyone would really tell the difference in power if they didn't know. You can get good and bad engine versions of both, so a good TT against a bad TTS.....they might judge it incorrectly.
Hell I have a TTS because I wanted the best version....whether it actually is I certainly will never know.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:42 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sorcerer 11
I wasn't suggesting you would actually spec a TT to TTS, just merely wondering if anyone would really tell the difference in power if they didn't know. You can get good and bad engine versions of both, so a good TT against a bad TTS.....they might judge it incorrectly.
Hell I have a TTS because I wanted the best version....whether it actually is I certainly will never know.
I believe the TT has a slightly wider powerband that peaks a smidge earlier than the TTS. I suspect real separation between the two occurs at triple digits. The TTS has slightly different turbos, but I don't think lag is an issue in comparison.

Equally equipped and taking value out of the equation, I think it would be a pretty subtle difference at street speeds. I do believe it would be noticeable, but not like the difference between a Carrera and a Turbo. Conversely, the weight of the two cars are the same, so you aren't getting a lighter Carrera T like experience. It's the same car, but slower.

All speculative, of course. And no one specs a Turbo with PDCC and PCCBs, so true comparisons are almost impossible.

I do know this - when I had a 991.2 TT, I never said "I wish this thing had more power". I did, however, say "I wish I didn't spend so much on options and just stepped up to a Turbo S". Picking spec on a Turbo is a tricky balance.

Quick Reply: Considering 992 Turbo