992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S/T Owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2024 | 02:19 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

I’m surprised the reaction here. You guys didnt really figure this out all this time and adding 2+2 in the last minute?
Old 09-15-2024 | 02:27 PM
johnarpy
Racer

Some of us did prepare for this. The S/T is a great car and a decent investment. I'm happy to get mine and the pennies were spent the day it was announced. Much of this is us trying to justify the extravagance. I only know the price of my cars the day I buy them and the day I sell them, the rest is enjoying the ride.
The following users liked this post:
kyrocks (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024 | 05:24 PM
Hmet
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnarpy
My first question is: did anyone have problems with the lithium battery. The dealership had to put a regular battery in while they wait two weeks for the small lightweight lithium one. Getting car PPFd right now so it doesn't really matter.
My car was stuck in the customs for a while (about two months) , and the battery went flat. The dealer managed to jump start it and all seems fine now post the PDI.
Drove the car for the first time all day today, and I must say it's a very different car. Feels very old school. When i started driving, I learned how to drive over manual cars, However for this one i think i need some training to get porsche s recommendation on how to treat that clutch when shifting quickly and how to get the most out of it without causing an ultra expensive repair bill.
The auto blip and sport exhaust can only be activated through the menu as far as i can tell so far. the soft programmable switch can take care of the sport exhaust activation, and i really like the auto blip, but seems one can either program the auto blip or the sport exhaust and not both.
Anyone has any other pointers regarding the gearbox usage?
The gear box makes a lot of noises (not one kind of noise but rather noises) and the idling while the clutch is not pressed sounds like someone forgot a tool inside the machine.
The short ratios are very noticeable and i think they will be the main unique differentiating point of this car. I can feel it all the time and it gives the car a very playful character.
The car just begs to be revved. I dont know how i will manage the break in period, and you get a galal reminder to observe the break in procedure in the dash board everytime you start the car.
I prefer the suspension on the sport setting eventhough i generally prefer more compliant cars, but on this car it makes it less jumpy.
This car either needed to be a strip interior, or needed more sound deadening. The lush heritage interior combined with GT loud raw mechanical symphonies feels like multiple personalities stuck in one car.
Looking forward to hear and compare notes from people who already drove the car
WernerE (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024 | 06:01 PM
993RR
Burning Brakes

@Hmet

Advice on ST clutch: ST enjoys a small lightweight clutch that brings so many advantages in sporty enjoyable driving. The clutch weighs just a third of that in the amazing GT3 Touring. However, since the clutch is so much smaller and lighter, it is unable to dissipate heat as well as a conventional clutch.

Therefore 1st and reverse gear parking & other low speed manoeuvres when riding the clutch should be done with very low rpm ( between 1200 to 2000 maximum) – more than adequate even on a hill given the immense torque of the engine.

Riding the clutch, slippage and especially so at high revs (for example trying to create 11s, or showing off) heats the small clutch and can easily cause long term damage.

The clutch can take fast gear changes under full power and also clutch kickstart (letting go the pedal at 5500rpm) for maximum acceleration is not problem because the clutch is released instantly and without riding the clutch - riding any clutch for long is not recommended, especially important for a lightweight clutch.

Last edited by 993RR; 09-15-2024 at 06:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 993RR:
Hmet (09-15-2024), WernerE (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024 | 06:21 PM
Hmet
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993RR
@Hmet

Advice on ST clutch: ST enjoys a small lightweight clutch that brings so many advantages in sporty enjoyable driving. The clutch weighs just a third of that in the amazing GT3 Touring. However, since the clutch is so much smaller and lighter, it is unable to dissipate heat as well as a conventional clutch.

Therefore 1st and reverse gear parking & other low speed manoeuvres when riding the clutch should be done with very low rpm ( between 1200 to 2000 maximum) – more than adequate even on a hill given the immense torque of the engine.

Riding the clutch, slippage and especially so at high revs (for example trying to create 11s, or showing off) heats the small clutch and can easily cause long term damage.

The clutch can take fast gear changes under full power and also clutch kickstart (letting go the pedal at 5500rpm) for maximum acceleration is not problem because the clutch is released instantly and without riding the clutch - riding any clutch for long is not recommended, especially important for a lightweight clutch.
That sounds like useful advice. Thanks
Old 09-15-2024 | 07:54 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hmet
My car was stuck in the customs for a while (about two months) , and the battery went flat. The dealer managed to jump start it and all seems fine now post the PDI.
Drove the car for the first time all day today, and I must say it's a very different car. Feels very old school. When i started driving, I learned how to drive over manual cars, However for this one i think i need some training to get porsche s recommendation on how to treat that clutch when shifting quickly and how to get the most out of it without causing an ultra expensive repair bill.
The auto blip and sport exhaust can only be activated through the menu as far as i can tell so far. the soft programmable switch can take care of the sport exhaust activation, and i really like the auto blip, but seems one can either program the auto blip or the sport exhaust and not both.
Anyone has any other pointers regarding the gearbox usage?
The gear box makes a lot of noises (not one kind of noise but rather noises) and the idling while the clutch is not pressed sounds like someone forgot a tool inside the machine.
The short ratios are very noticeable and i think they will be the main unique differentiating point of this car. I can feel it all the time and it gives the car a very playful character.
The car just begs to be revved. I dont know how i will manage the break in period, and you get a galal reminder to observe the break in procedure in the dash board everytime you start the car.
I prefer the suspension on the sport setting eventhough i generally prefer more compliant cars, but on this car it makes it less jumpy.
This car either needed to be a strip interior, or needed more sound deadening. The lush heritage interior combined with GT loud raw mechanical symphonies feels like multiple personalities stuck in one car.
Looking forward to hear and compare notes from people who already drove the car
Part of the reason I opted for a black interior. The cognac interior fits the Sport Classic better. To each his/her own.
The following 3 users liked this post by WernerE:
GTS440 (09-16-2024), kyrocks (09-16-2024), PTS (09-16-2024)
Old 09-15-2024 | 07:55 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 993RR
@Hmet

There is a hill hold on the S/T?
Old 09-15-2024 | 10:38 PM
johnarpy
Racer

I'm pretty sure my Speedster and my GT3 have hill hold so the S/T should also. I'll check when I get it back this week.
Old 09-16-2024 | 07:05 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ukkid74
I believe it’s 83% res
Originally Posted by johnarpy
That's consistent with my residual. That is based on the MSRP not including the ADM.
Residual is 84%. See screenshot below.

Originally Posted by white6speed
If you can pay the one year in advance do it. It saves a bit. Be careful of the dealer, Porsche uses a factor for the lease interest and a crap dealer can add to the factor and pocket the difference. The dealer needs to quote the factor when you are close to getting the car. The factor dropped after I got a quote but because someone posted a new lower factor on RL the dealer let me have the new lower factor but I had to know it beforehand. If you know the finance manager they have a print out for the factor on all Porsches.

Check this stuff out. My car was $330 and 1 pay was around $83k all in.
Originally Posted by WernerE
I'd love to see how you're paying $40k - $50k in interest and fees. My interest will be $21k and the lease acquisition fee is around $1,100.
Originally Posted by sechsgang
You're paying a little too much, mines also 83 ish k as many have mentioned here for doing the one payment. If you're doing the per month vs 1 payment then its more but I dont think it adds up to 50k...should be like 20-23 additional (dont have the numbers in front of me but this is what I was quoted by my dealer approx)
Well I figured out why my 1 payment lease was coming out ~$20k higher than others and it's because Texas is charging the full sales tax (6.25%) up front. So when I buy the car after the lease has run through there's no additional sales tax on the remaining principal. Any other Texas S/T buyers see this? I'll add a screenshot to this post for reference. So without the sales tax my 1 time lease payment is $82,879, in line with others in here with similar MSRP

Old 09-17-2024 | 04:56 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Does S/T have no lift shift like the GT3?
Old 09-17-2024 | 06:22 PM
Hmet
Instructor

Originally Posted by kyrocks
will try after i receive it back from the ppf wrapping.
keep the accelerator steady while shifting? it would against my reflexes but i can try.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hmet:
johnarpy (09-17-2024), kyrocks (09-20-2024)
Old 09-19-2024 | 12:08 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

You don't need a Finance guy to calculate your lease payment (excluding sales tax and license), as it's just arithmetic:

Ukkid74 (09-19-2024)
Old 09-19-2024 | 07:21 PM
Hmet
Instructor

i tried at the 4000 rpm range and it seems to work
kyrocks (09-20-2024)
Old 09-19-2024 | 11:06 PM
Bubba Wibs
Racer

Yes it does.
kyrocks (09-20-2024)
Old 09-20-2024 | 08:32 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! Can’t wait to try mine in a couple weeks.

Quick Reply: S/T Owners