Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S/T Suspension Programming - GT3 update??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2024, 05:30 PM
jyu0
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 25 Posts

Didn't get that far with either of the refurbished T480 or T490 laptops that I got. The T480 was charging at a lower rate than the computer uses when powered on. This meant that while I was trying to do the partition recovery and then the necessary updates, the computer would pull power from both the wall and the battery. The battery ran out soon after and then the computer would not have enough power to boot into windows. The only way to get it to work again was to wait a few hours for the battery to charge up, and then try again. Did some research and it seems that the decreasing charging rate is a known issue for the T480 and T490. From what I can tell, this issue is progressive even if it works now, it may get worse eventually. I did not want to risk having the computer shutoff while the PIWIS programming is happening, so I returned this computer and got a refurbished T490 from Amazon. This next one was even worse because the battery was completely dead, and it wouldn't charge either, so it was dead on arrival. The funny thing was that the packaging it came with had a sticker labelled Amazon Refurbished. After having these used older generation laptops fail twice, I decided to look for a new laptop from a couple of generations ago. Upon browsing the Microcenter site, Mars and I both agreed that the V14 G3 should work.

For those of you with the T480 or T490 computers, my suggestion is to watch the battery charge state carefully. Make sure you are fully charged and plugged in before doing any PIWIS programming. You probably don't want to be running just on battery unless you are absolutely sure that it will last.

Originally Posted by Shogunade
@jyu0 Was the issue found when trying to dl PIWIS into the computer or when trying to connect the PIWIS to the car?
Old 08-12-2024, 05:51 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 536 Posts

Both of my PIWIS setups are Thinkpad T14S - newer models and works perfectly . . .
Old 08-12-2024, 06:01 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by jyu0
Didn't get that far with either of the refurbished T480 or T490 laptops that I got. The T480 was charging at a lower rate than the computer uses when powered on. This meant that while I was trying to do the partition recovery and then the necessary updates, the computer would pull power from both the wall and the battery. The battery ran out soon after and then the computer would not have enough power to boot into windows. The only way to get it to work again was to wait a few hours for the battery to charge up, and then try again. Did some research and it seems that the decreasing charging rate is a known issue for the T480 and T490. From what I can tell, this issue is progressive even if it works now, it may get worse eventually. I did not want to risk having the computer shutoff while the PIWIS programming is happening, so I returned this computer and got a refurbished T490 from Amazon. This next one was even worse because the battery was completely dead, and it wouldn't charge either, so it was dead on arrival. The funny thing was that the packaging it came with had a sticker labelled Amazon Refurbished. After having these used older generation laptops fail twice, I decided to look for a new laptop from a couple of generations ago. Upon browsing the Microcenter site, Mars and I both agreed that the V14 G3 should work.

For those of you with the T480 or T490 computers, my suggestion is to watch the battery charge state carefully. Make sure you are fully charged and plugged in before doing any PIWIS programming. You probably don't want to be running just on battery unless you are absolutely sure that it will last.
Never had any problem with T480 or T490. Buy from a reputable seller with a good return policy. They all guarantee 80-85% Full Charge Capacity
Get the battery report open Windows Powershell and run this command powercfg /batteryreport, then press Enter. The battery report will be an HTML file that's stored in a folder on your PC.

Old 08-12-2024, 06:10 PM
jyu0
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 25 Posts

The item that determines whether a newer computer will work or not in this case is based on the partition recovery process. If one wants to use Mar's recovery partition, the computer's storage controller cannot be based on RST or VMD, which encompasses almost all the newer more recent laptops. To determine whether your windows computer will work, in the Device Manage go to storage controller and check what actually controls your NVME SSD. If it says standard NVME controller, the computer will work. If it say RST or VMD, then you will have to do a different install method, which is not the easy way in this case.
Old 08-12-2024, 06:19 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by jyu0
The item that determines whether a newer computer will work or not in this case is based on the partition recovery process. If one wants to use Mar's recovery partition, the computer's storage controller cannot be based on RST or VMD, which encompasses almost all the newer more recent laptops. To determine whether your windows computer will work, in the Device Manage go to storage controller and check what actually controls your NVME SSD. If it says standard NVME controller, the computer will work. If it say RST or VMD, then you will have to do a different install method, which is not the easy way in this case.
The problem with the recovery process is UEFI boot with or without Secure Boot. The driver does not load after the first reboot. If you do a clean Windows 11 install it does install the driver.
Old 08-12-2024, 06:49 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 817 Posts

I picked up a refurbished t490 off of Amazon for 300 bucks. Computer I had before that was a newer one that ended up going back. The T490 works perfectly.
The following users liked this post:
718socal (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 06:56 PM
kav1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel bad messaging Mars so much.

Is there a list of required components that someone can share so we can get the parts and then contact Mars to do the update?

I see there are details about a laptop, OBD cable and battery charger.

The following users liked this post:
returnedto911 (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 09:39 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kav1
I feel bad messaging Mars so much.

Is there a list of required components that someone can share so we can get the parts and then contact Mars to do the update?

I see there are details about a laptop, OBD cable and battery charger.
Laptop with windows 10 or higher 1980x1020 screen resolution. Lenova T490 is recommended. Power supply for keeping your battery voltage up. 100A supply is what most of us are using. You will need him to send you a VCI.
Old 08-12-2024, 09:40 PM
kav1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
Laptop with windows 10 or higher 1980x1020 screen resolution. Lenova T490 is recommended. Power supply for keeping your battery voltage up. 100A supply is what most of us are using. You will need him to send you a VCI.
thank you. What about the cable for connecting to the vehicle?
Old 08-12-2024, 09:42 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kav1
thank you. What about the cable for connecting to the vehicle?
He will supply you a pay link to purchase the cable you need. It takes 3-5 days to receive it.
Old 08-12-2024, 10:08 PM
EMdoc
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts

Ok where do I start...this is the #1 mod for the GT3! First, huge thanks to F4bones for helping me out today. It was truly a pleasure to meet him and I have so much to learn! He genuinely wants to help other owners and it is so refreshing to see that. Thank you to Mars (rnlst_log) for such a quick software flash. I just can't believe how transformative this was. I echo all the prior sentiments. The car is now PERFECT for my needs. It is so well composed over bumps and imperfections that I still can't believe it was just programming and not a hardware change. Drove 100 miles today in all modes and the freeway and back roads. Normal and Sport/Track are all updated and perfect for the road and the car doesn't bounce over manhole covers or bumps. Just sublime. Next mod is sound insulation but I will have to find some time to do that. F4bones noted that this was life-changing and up there with the S/T flash. And finally for my manual...hopefully will get the S/T clutch and flywheel (thanks JBravo!) at some point in addition to Manthey wheels. It never ends!

Link up with rnlist_log and F4bones/718socal...highly recommend. I got a refurb Thinkpad T14 from Amazon and hopefully will have a similar setup going soon to help out others in the area.

Cheers and happy driving!

Last edited by EMdoc; 08-12-2024 at 10:18 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by EMdoc:
718socal (08-12-2024), aarodynamics (08-13-2024), catdog2 (08-13-2024), dixonk (08-13-2024), f4bones (08-12-2024), Jbravo23 (08-13-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-12-2024, 10:42 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 536 Posts

Great meeting you today @EMdoc , and congrats on your BEAUTIFUL GT3 - love it! Sorry I couldn't spend more time w/ you today, but glad you liked the S/T PASM tuning! I definitely think @Jbravo23 's LW flywheel / clutch mod would be on my list if I were a MT owner . . . look forward to meeting up soon for some canyon carving E of San Diego!

Cheers,

Bones
The following 5 users liked this post by f4bones:
718socal (08-12-2024), aarodynamics (08-13-2024), dixonk (08-13-2024), EMdoc (08-12-2024), rnlst_log (08-13-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 11:21 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,367 Likes on 2,135 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
I find this thread amusing. 3 years ago when I got my 992 GT3 I mentioned repeatedly that the suspension setup choices made by Porsche were obviously made to set a Ring time, but came at the expense of street handling. I was blasted over and over again. Whatever, no big deal. But now you are all running off to get this update and raving about the changes. I guess I was right after all…interesting. But I agree, the changes were immediately noticeable when I got my S/T in June.
Was ​​​​@f4bones even a member then?

He’s become quite the resource with his knowledge and courage to tackle these Frankenstein modifications on the 992 platform.
Old 08-12-2024, 11:55 PM
EMdoc
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by f4bones
Great meeting you today @EMdoc , and congrats on your BEAUTIFUL GT3 - love it! Sorry I couldn't spend more time w/ you today, but glad you liked the S/T PASM tuning! I definitely think @Jbravo23 's LW flywheel / clutch mod would be on my list if I were a MT owner . . . look forward to meeting up soon for some canyon carving E of San Diego!

Cheers,

Bones
The pleasure was all mine! If you need any free assistants, feel free to message me! Thank you and your compliments carry significant weight. I got to meet some of your friends...what an amazing group. No need to apologize. The clutch/LWFW on the list eventually. Every mod makes the car "new" again so it is nice taking time...plus have to save up
Can't wait to meet up again soon. Truly appreciate your time and effort educating us all!

Last edited by EMdoc; 08-13-2024 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-13-2024, 12:50 AM
rnlst_log
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by f4bones
Both of my PIWIS setups are Thinkpad T14S - newer models and works perfectly . . .
Special setup rarely done.

Quick Reply: S/T Suspension Programming - GT3 update??