Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSA: 992 GT3RS Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 10:35 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 390 Posts

There is a bolt hole in bottom of PDK that allows you to insert a bolt, tighten int down, and that places the PDK in neutral:

​​​​​​https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...t-start-2.html
The following users liked this post:
wotaskd (04-13-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 10:40 PM
tims16m
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 43 Posts

My 992 GT3RS has the Porsche Lithium battery. Attached the Porsche battery tender through the accessory port, but apparently the 992 generation cars will only charge when connected directly to the battery (according to service technician). The lithium battery is only 5 mos old so it should still have plenty of power. Tried the usual procedure at the fuse box to open the frunk, but unsuccessful with a number of different electrical sources( another lithium battery, NOCO jumper box, etc). Dealership was nice enough to send 2 technicians out to look at the issue. They ended up having to remove the wheel to access the manual hood release. The NOCO jumper box started the car easily. We turned the car off and restarted without an issue, which means it was likely the battery went into sleep mode. Placed battery tender directly to battery and a ground per the technicians. It was not a simple task to access the manual release due to the center lock wheels, thanks again to the dealership.
wotaskd (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 08:21 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,010 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by tims16m
My 992 GT3RS has the Porsche Lithium battery. Attached the Porsche battery tender through the accessory port, but apparently the 992 generation cars will only charge when connected directly to the battery (according to service technician). The lithium battery is only 5 mos old so it should still have plenty of power. Tried the usual procedure at the fuse box to open the frunk, but unsuccessful with a number of different electrical sources( another lithium battery, NOCO jumper box, etc). Dealership was nice enough to send 2 technicians out to look at the issue. They ended up having to remove the wheel to access the manual hood release. The NOCO jumper box started the car easily. We turned the car off and restarted without an issue, which means it was likely the battery went into sleep mode. Placed battery tender directly to battery and a ground per the technicians. It was not a simple task to access the manual release due to the center lock wheels, thanks again to the dealership.
WE make a Harness that allows you to simply plug in your Jump Starter... if it a Antigravity MICRO-START, or Gooloo and some other versions, this makes it so you don't have to go into the fuse box or mess around at all. You simply walk over to your hood where you have routed the cable to and plug in the jump starter, which powers your system, then either pop the hood, or jump start the car. Super fast and simple. We call it the clampless harness and it can be found here.
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...arness-msa10c/
Also in the event your 992 Porsche Lithium Battery final goes dead you can replace them with our Antigravity Batteries H6 that has WIRELESS built in jump starting so you will NEVER have to deal with frunk issues, starting or being stranded by a dead battery that won't wake up. But for the 992 you have to change the ground strap which is about $80 dollars.. but then you can use AGM or another battery instead of the Porsche Lithium Battery which is about $2500 dollars and not that good.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:41 PM
tims16m
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
WE make a Harness that allows you to simply plug in your Jump Starter... if it a Antigravity MICRO-START, or Gooloo and some other versions, this makes it so you don't have to go into the fuse box or mess around at all. You simply walk over to your hood where you have routed the cable to and plug in the jump starter, which powers your system, then either pop the hood, or jump start the car. Super fast and simple. We call it the clampless harness and it can be found here.
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...arness-msa10c/
Also in the event your 992 Porsche Lithium Battery final goes dead you can replace them with our Antigravity Batteries H6 that has WIRELESS built in jump starting so you will NEVER have to deal with frunk issues, starting or being stranded by a dead battery that won't wake up. But for the 992 you have to change the ground strap which is about $80 dollars.. but then you can use AGM or another battery instead of the Porsche Lithium Battery which is about $2500 dollars and not that good.
I have the H6 battery in my 911R and the 991Speedster, works great. Have had to use the remote once to take out of sleep mode. What is the ground strap on the 992 you are referring to, is there a link? Is this only if you stay with the Porsche lithium battery? thanks.
Antigravity (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 02:04 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tims16m
I have the H6 battery in my 911R and the 991Speedster, works great. Have had to use the remote once to take out of sleep mode. What is the ground strap on the 992 you are referring to, is there a link? Is this only if you stay with the Porsche lithium battery? thanks.

On the 992s that were equipped with the PORSCHE LITHIUM BATTERY originally, they have a Ground Strap that does not have the PLUG for the Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) because it is plugged directly into the PORSCHE LITHIUM BATTERY. So if you try to swap to an aftermarket battery from the originally equipped Porsche Lithium Battery Cars... you won't have the plug since it was directly going into the Porsche Lithium Battery. But if you swap to a Ground Strap from the AGM equipped 992s then the Plug for the IBS in ON the Ground Strap itself so you just plug what was plugged into your Porsche Lithium Battery into the port on the 992 AGM Ground strap and the data will be sent to your Cars system...

Here is an image screw driver pointing to plug... part# of bag.

nerdtalker (04-16-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 07:19 PM
getto822000
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 95 Posts

My god this just happened to me. I couldn’t take off the wheel since my centerlock socket is stored by the battery!

Since the car was unlocked I was able to jack it up and push the wheel to turn it. Then I removed a few screws that secure the inner fender. Next added some painters tape to protect the aero bits and gently pried the inner fender edge out over the aero part. With that I could see the cable inside, taped to the tub. I reached in and pulled it to open the hood. Not too difficult but clearly less than ideal for reaching the battery for a jump.

It didn’t take much to revive the battery since it was just in safe mode. I then also added a pigtail for a Ctek charger that exits at the corner of the windshield.

Last edited by getto822000; 07-05-2024 at 07:21 PM.
grimmeute (07-13-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 02:26 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by getto822000
My god this just happened to me. I couldn’t take off the wheel since my centerlock socket is stored by the battery!

Since the car was unlocked I was able to jack it up and push the wheel to turn it. Then I removed a few screws that secure the inner fender. Next added some painters tape to protect the aero bits and gently pried the inner fender edge out over the aero part. With that I could see the cable inside, taped to the tub. I reached in and pulled it to open the hood. Not too difficult but clearly less than ideal for reaching the battery for a jump.

It didn’t take much to revive the battery since it was just in safe mode. I then also added a pigtail for a Ctek charger that exits at the corner of the windshield.
Awesome write up and pictures...and car. I have a few points to make that might make it so you don't have to get to the cable again to open the frunk, or others in the same situation.

Your set up with the Charger pigtail is great, and I'm sure you'll be religous about keeping the RS on a charger, but unfortunately if your Lithium battery goes into its protection mode for any reason like losing power to the charger, or forgetting to connect it then you might be in the same situation of not being able to open the frunk without going to the cable. The reason for this is because the typical Porsche/CTEK Charger does not have the ability to awaken the Lithium Battery's BMS when it is in sleep/protection mode. To wake up a Porsche or other Lithium Battery's BMS requires a solid current and voltage to the battery to wake it up. In fact, when the typical Porsche/CTEK Charger is connected to a battery without voltage at it terminals (like when the Lithium battery is in sleep/protection mode) then it won't even start the charging process since it doesn't sense a battery and will not allow voltage to the Chargers Clamps, which is a sparkless safety feature. So it won't help to connect a most Chargers unless they are designed to provide the BMS wake-up feature, or have a solid Power supply. I believe CTEK actually has a larger model Charger that suppsed to do that, but we have not tested it yet. So the bottom line is you would want to make sure you have a Charger or have a Charger with a Power Supply capable of doing that, or the ability to connect a Jump Starter to your Battery directly as with our Antigravity Clampless Harness. The benefit of these items is that they are going to give you the ability to Wake-Up the Lithium Battery, or, since they are connected directly to your Car's battery, provide the entire Cars systems with sufficient energy (voltage/current) to allow your Frunk-switch to work to pop the frunk without going into the wheel well or messing around in the fusebox which is hit and miss.So you do want a cable as you have with your CTEK, that can deliver that... so you might have to go with the large CTEK since you have CTEK and they have that proprietary connector.

Now for the background and pitch... I had a 2016 GT3 RS, ( my first Porsche) I had this similar problem the 4th day I had it because I put our first Gen of Lithium Battery in it, didn't connect the negative lead and shut the frunk not knowing about Porsches doing this. The Key was locked in the ignition and I couldn't work anything or get into the frunk and basically had a panic attack thinking I screwed up my new very expensive Car.. then I went on the internet and found out about this. I still think the system is beyond absurd so we decided to make fixes for it. So the point is we made several products since then that work for this type of thing and not getting stuck or stranded by dead batteries in any cars. So, in about 2 months our newest product is coming out... Battery Chargers. But we believe we are doing it better actually than the top brand since we are a Lithium Battery company and know what we would like to see to charge Batteries. that are designed for Lithium Batteries and also work with Lead Batteries, and have some cool features other top brands don't have. We actually delayed the production as we added a few more features, but now we think about 2 months out.

So heres the features of our chargers. WE offer 3 sizes of 2Amps, 4 Amps, and 10Amps... but for all intents and Purposes we are going to suggest the 10Amp becuase for an Automotive Lithium Battery to awaken you want a solid amount of currrent so the 10A will charge the fastest and easily wake up most any BMS. Our 4Amp Models does the exact same things but if you have a higher load from your car during the wake up of a BMS it draws down the current the charger is putting out so I may not wake up a Cars BMS so easy, but it does Motorcycle Lithium Batteries easy.

-We didn't like the colored LED "lights" on Chargers like the CTEK, NOCO, Optimate that tell where you are in the Charge Cycle. We actually manufacture Lithium Batteries so we wanted to see the actual Voltage and Current going into the Battery during the Charge Cycle. So, we made a Digital Display that shows the actual Voltage and Current that the Charger is Charging the Battery at. That Digital display also will have a easy to read Battery Icon Showing the level of Charge on the Battery and also display other information when used in other modes which I will describe below.

- We wanted the Charger to do MORE than just Charge a Lithium Battery or Lead/Acid/AGM Battery. At Antigravity we are always testing and recharging batteries of all different types and didn't like the wasted time of having several different types of Chargers. So we built in the ability of our Chargers to Charge, (at the correct profiles for each type of battery) 6v and 12v Lithium (Lifepo4/LFP) Batteries, 12v Lead/Acid batteries such as AGMs, Gel, or Flooded forms of Lead/Acid. So our charger does them all. You can charge your Trucks Lead/Acid Battery, and then charge a Lithium Battery in your Motorcycle, Porsche or any other 6v or 12v Lifepo4 Lithium Battery with our Charger.

- We wanted to have a Voltage Meter on a Charger because sometimes you want to know what the Battery Voltage is at without having to pull out a Multimeter. So we incorporated a Voltage Meter into our Battery Charger. Its a great useful feature we did not see on other chargers.

- Since we are a Lithium Battery Manufacturer specifically, we wanted our Charger to be able to WAKE UP a Lithium Battery that is in it sleep protectino mode and then have it start Charging in it Lithium profile in one easy step, which is something that most the other Charger companies do not realize is an issue, and they don't have a product for. As I stated previously in this thread, the issue is the if a Lithium Battery over-discharges it;s BMS will put it into a Sleep Mode, but a regular Charger cannot wake up a Lithium Battery because it willnot see Voltage at the terminals due to the battery being asleep, but our Charger when set to its BMS Re-Set Mode, will automatically wake up the BMS, than begin Chargin the Battery in a Lithium Profile if the wake up is successful. This has been a problem for people with Porsche Lithium Batteries as well as other brands of Lithium Batteries.

-We stayed with the Typical SAE Battery pigtail type of Connection for our Clamps, Charger and Pigtail. We do not like how it works with the brands with proprietary connections for thier Battery Chargers. For example CTEK and NOCO...We deal with alot of every type of driver, racer, and riders and if you do not bring your special CTEK charger on the road or track and have ever needed assistance it not alway easy to find a CTEK charger. Maybe this is rare for most, but if your tracking or traveling you want a standardized tyypical plug in the event you don't have your charger.

- I does have the recondition mode for Lead/Acid Batteries as well as and Automatic Winter mode for all battery types, no need to select Winter mode it does it automatically with it built in temperature sensor.

So anyway it will be a definate step up in Chargers and good for those wanting something like this.

wotaskd (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 02:43 PM
wotaskd
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 117 Posts

So, in about 2 months our newest product is coming out... Battery Chargers. But we believe we are doing it better actually than the top brand since we are a Lithium Battery company and know what we would like to see to charge Batteries. that are designed for Lithium Batteries and also work with Lead Batteries, and have some cool features other top brands don't have. We actually delayed the production as we added a few more features, but now we think about 2 months out.
This is excellent and potentially game changer! Few questions...
  • Would this charger be able to remember its setting if power gets temporarily lost? I have two of my cars sitting in my second home and sometimes it could be a month before I'm back. With the Porsche solution, I have to manually reset the charger whenever I lose power and currently I have to go around the problem by plugging the chargers to a UPS.
  • Sounds like this solution would eliminate the need for a micro start, provided that I connect a harness to the battery/ground connection? Meaning that one single cable could be used for battery maintaining and jump starting?
Old 07-07-2024, 02:34 AM
mthreat
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 186 Posts

So anyway it will be a definate step up in Chargers and good for those wanting something like this.
I recommend you make an adapter from your charger to the CTEK plug, unless it's technically impossible. This would let people (like me) who already have the CTEK plug connected to try your product without having to install another plug.
Old 07-07-2024, 05:53 AM
GtErik
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Do you have centerlock socket stored by the battery?, it was in my Gt3 but not in my RS
Old 07-12-2024, 02:32 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wotaskd
This is excellent and potentially game changer! Few questions...
  • Would this charger be able to remember its setting if power gets temporarily lost? I have two of my cars sitting in my second home and sometimes it could be a month before I'm back. With the Porsche solution, I have to manually reset the charger whenever I lose power and currently I have to go around the problem by plugging the chargers to a UPS.
  • Sounds like this solution would eliminate the need for a micro start, provided that I connect a harness to the battery/ground connection? Meaning that one single cable could be used for battery maintaining and jump starting?
Hi wotaskd, sorry for the delayed follow up....so to clarify,
1. Yes, the charger will automatically start recharging the battery if there is a temporary power loss and essentially resume the same profile that was selected prior to losing power. The only instance where a reset might be needed is if power had been lost for an extended duration and it was being used on a lithium battery with a battery management system and the protections had tripped...meaning the battery had shut off..in that instance the BMS reset on the charger is a separate function so it would have to be engaged to "wake' the battery. Again, keep in mind, this would only possibly happen if enough draw existing as well a time elapsed to drain the battery that low which depending on the application could be a very long duration.
2. When it comes to jump starting, the harnesses for these units are specifically designed for just that. They will usually have a diode assembly which restricts the voltage from backflowing in the Microstart itself after a vehicle is started, which could possibly damage it. Due to this one way flow, a charger typically wouldn't be able to detect the connection to the battery on the other end and would fail to function/charge. So if looking to properly protect and perform both charging and jump functions we'd look at two separate harnesses.

Hopefully that helps clarify and answer your questions but please feel free to reach out to us if there is anything else we can help with.
wotaskd (07-12-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 05:33 PM
grimmeute
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HC700
Yup we have tried that procedure following the manual to a tee and no luck. Advising customers with these cars to either plug in a charger or leave the frunk popped in storage to avoid this situation for now.

Car is being towed into the dealer to see what the next step. We are unsure if it is this specific car's problem or not but not much sample data out there yet.
Did you try using your key fob to open the front boot? For some reason doing the steps then using the lever to open doesnt want to work sometimes. But the key fob method does. Also make sure key fob battery is good.
i hate the charging systems on these Porche. If you plug it in you should’nt have to worry about, if the car decides to say, “hey you left something plug into the cigarette port. Im going to shut that port off.”
i have 10 porche and 3 of them constantly do this crap with stopping the chargers from maintaining your battery.
Also, if you battery is asleep and you finally got the frunk opened. Most chargers or jump packs won’t wake the battery up so that you can charge or start it. Just attach your charging leads then attach 12 volts to the battery as well for a few seconds. The 12v will wake the battery up.

Last edited by grimmeute; 07-13-2024 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2024, 11:55 PM
Fastpass
Rennlist Member

Default Dead 2023 GT3RS battery( I mean dead dead, as in 4 months dead.)

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I'm still confused - so you've tired the procedure outlined in the RS manual and it does not unlock the frunk?

so you are saying factually:

1. the procedure as documented for the 2023/2024 911 GT3 RS does not work - and you have personal experience with this…
2. there is no procedure for unlocking the frunk with a dead battery on a 2023/2024 911 GT3 RS?

and the dealer knows this and Porsche Germany has no response?
I have attempted to open the frunk on a 2023 GT3 RS belonging to a friend. It is on 3rd floor of rather shallow parking garage. Put 40, then 200 amps to the fuse jump and yes, briefly the rear lights will flash, but that’s all the response I have received, and as there is no frunk or rear hatch release on the key fob, which I read is the ideal to release hatches, I am down to removing left front magnesium wheel (center locked) then remove 5 bolts holding fender lining to access the emergency frunk release cable.Stop me now if you have attempted similarly and failed. The irony? In the passenger seat, in a gorgeous white Porsche gift bag, lies a battery maintainer, never opened.

Last edited by Fastpass; 07-25-2024 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-25-2024, 12:16 AM
wotaskd
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by grimmeute
Did you try using your key fob to open the front boot? For some reason doing the steps then using the lever to open doesnt want to work sometimes. But the key fob method does.
Unfortunately that’s not an option for the 992 GT3 RS. No frunk button on the key fob for this model.

Old 07-25-2024, 01:05 AM
Fastpass
Rennlist Member

Yes, unfortunately either I wasn’t clear regarding the absence of front “or” rear release buttons on this GT3RS.

Quick Reply: PSA: 992 GT3RS Dead Battery