PSA: 992 GT3RS Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 03:05 AM
HC700
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry PSA: 992 GT3RS Dead Battery

Alright ladies and gentlemen,

Typically to jump-start a 992 you manually unlock the doors with the keyblade, hook up the lead in the fusebox to a jumper and then press the frunk button on the key to pop the frunk open and gain access to the battery. The 992 GT3 RS doesn't have a frunk button on the key (just RS logo where it should be) and the door sill button is non-responsive to any input as usual even with jumpers on for any amount of time.

Ideas? Thoughts? Oversight on Porsche's part? I know the frunk is pretty much useless but unless they built another way to get the hood open, taking away the key button kind of complicates a dead battery by quite a lot.

PSA to keep your RS's on a charger 100% of the time
Old 07-05-2023, 03:44 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,717 Likes on 1,821 Posts

have we checked the manual for a procedure? if not I'd bring this up to porsche service and ask them what you're supposed to do?

but this is an excellent PSA - no doubt!

do you own an RS - do you know the frunk button is disabled on the RS?

can someone with a GT3 RS owner's manual consult the jumpstart procedures? I kinda believe this might but an oversight and a big one if it is - but also Porsche doesn't often miss details like this…

so is this PSA from first hand experience? or are you speculating that "porsche missed a step?"

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-05-2023 at 03:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MaxLTV (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HC700
Alright ladies and gentlemen,

Typically to jump-start a 992 you manually unlock the doors with the keyblade, hook up the lead in the fusebox to a jumper and then press the frunk button on the key to pop the frunk open and gain access to the battery. The 992 GT3 RS doesn't have a frunk button on the key (just RS logo where it should be) and the door sill button is non-responsive to any input as usual even with jumpers on for any amount of time.

Ideas? Thoughts? Oversight on Porsche's part? I know the frunk is pretty much useless but unless they built another way to get the hood open, taking away the key button kind of complicates a dead battery by quite a lot.

PSA to keep your RS's on a charger 100% of the time
keeping it on a "charger" also won't work if the battery "fails" - which is different than simple being drained so low that it goes off line - there has to be a procedure to deal with a "failed" battery that can't be charged or failed outright…

again are you speculating that Porsche "missed" this step - or do you know for a fact there is not a new procedure - they may for example have made the door sill button "functional" when provided with external 12V juice...but I agree and know this has not been historically the case...so you're not wrong for other 911's - but factually what do you know about the RS in this situation?

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-05-2023 at 03:58 AM.
Old 07-05-2023, 07:32 AM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

Just looked at the digital version of the Owners Manual. Page 30 says to connect the charging source to the fuse box (terminal A) as normal regardless of GT3 or RS, then in RS, pull the trunk opening button (button A) for 2 seconds.

8. Push positive terminal A (Fig. 9) into the fuse
box and fit the plastic cover of the fuse box.

- 911 GT3 RS
Information

The hood can only be emergency unlocked using button
A in the vehicle interior.
1. Press the button on the vehicle key. The alarm
system is deactivated.
2. Pull button A in the passenger compartment for
approx. two seconds. The front hood is unlocked
and opens a gap.
daveo4porsche (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 09:49 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,206 Likes on 590 Posts

Doubt that will work to open the frunk. You need to wire a pigtail onto the battery and make it accessible from the cowl of the hood. Connecting a jumper to the fuse box doesn't work always. My service tech said they have only had success when connecting an actual car battery to the fuse jumper. And keep in mind the 992 generation no longer has a PDK neutral override. It will not shift out of park when the battery is "dead". And the tow bolt is in the frunk, further complicating matters if you need an emergency tow.
Old 07-05-2023, 09:55 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

As simplistic and straight forward this may sound : first make sure you are properly connected with your power supply inside the car. Some jump boxes/power supply devices don't have alligator clips that fit those terminals properly.
Secondly,make sure your power supply is On...the majority of them need to be turned On after they've been connected.
And thirdly,as rshanholtz mentioned,you need to hold the Open button for 2 seconds,it doesn't open if you pull it and let it go instantaneously.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:16 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,206 Likes on 590 Posts

On another note the other 992 owners (far more than RS owners) have found that the sill switch doesn't work. Its actually recommended to you the key fob frunk release to try to open the frunk when powering the fuse blade with a jumper box
Old 07-05-2023, 10:38 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,187 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
Doubt that will work to open the frunk. You need to wire a pigtail onto the battery and make it accessible from the cowl of the hood. Connecting a jumper to the fuse box doesn't work always. My service tech said they have only had success when connecting an actual car battery to the fuse jumper. And keep in mind the 992 generation no longer has a PDK neutral override. It will not shift out of park when the battery is "dead". And the tow bolt is in the frunk, further complicating matters if you need an emergency tow.
I read your thread in the Turbo section - what a pain in the butt, sorry you had to go through it. I had a very similar experience with a 991.1 GT3 with a lightweight lithium battery (aftermarket), and what solved it for me was connecting a battery charger to the fuse box terminals and leaving it for 15 minutes to just send power into the system. I guess that charged the main battery just enough so that it would no longer consume all the power from the jumpstarter. Seeing how your tech solved this with connecting actual car battery (so more amps), this may work for 992s as well.

In any case, it's disappointing Porsche did not address this issue from the 991 generation but possibly even made it worse.
Old 07-05-2023, 11:08 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I've done this procedure more times that I would like to discuss

but i know for a fact it works for my 2022 911 TurboS and 2020 Taycan, never had to do it for my 991.2 2018 GT3

the trick I've found is having a good ground/negative for the "fuse" box portion of the procedure.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
bmyersemail (04-12-2024), SB27 (11-20-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 11:09 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

On another note the other 992 owners (far more than RS owners) have found that the sill switch doesn't work. Its actually recommended to you the key fob frunk release to try to open the frunk when powering the fuse blade with a jumper box
the sill switch is not supposed to work for the 992's - other than for the RS…

Old 07-05-2023, 11:11 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

my NOCO 12V booster works great for this procedure - but you have to put it into "boost" mode

but I agree Porsche needs a better procedure - this is a PITA when you have to do it - all the way from the "mechanical" portion of the key and right into the fuse box procedure - a real honest PITA.
Old 07-05-2023, 11:34 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,404 Likes on 5,008 Posts

On a Ferrari, the OEM battery tender has a setting that will "revive" a dead battery.

12 hour refresh cycle from what I recall.

Porsche should implement a similar feature.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 07-05-2023 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-05-2023, 12:08 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
On a Ferrari, the OEM battery tender has a setting that will "revive" a dead battery.

12 hour refresh cycle from what I recall.

Porsche should implement a similar feature.
Ferrari doesn't make battery tenders. Porsche doesn't make battery tenders either. C-TEK makes battery tenders for those companies and many other.
As a matter of fact,it is known in the industry that these auto manufacturers are nothing but engineering design companies that " don't really make anything " ,almost every component comes from different suppliers all over the World and the company puts them together.
Getting back to the point,many companies that make battery maintainers/booster offer the " battery slow revival " feature : NOCO comes to mind,C-TEK,Schumacher etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by neanicu:
daveo4porsche (07-05-2023), Icegrill (07-28-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 12:28 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
Just looked at the digital version of the Owners Manual. Page 30 says to connect the charging source to the fuse box (terminal A) as normal regardless of GT3 or RS, then in RS, pull the trunk opening button (button A) for 2 seconds.

- 911 GT3 RS
Information

system is deactivated.
and opens a gap.
based on this - it appears that porsche a made the door sill button "active" in the case of a dead battery with a 12V fuse box "jump" - this would in fact be a "key" difference between 992 GT3 RS and all other 718/911's - however this would not be a bad feature to make standard in all other porsche's - it would be nice if the sill button's worked (and/or the frunk button on the FOB) for this situation.

my hope is I never have to confirm this procedure on my RS.
ADgts40 (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 01:29 PM
HC700
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m actually with a Porsche dealer, and this is for one of the first 992 RS customer cars… couldn’t find anything on the forums so wanted to help warn owners

Originally Posted by rshanholtz

- 911 GT3 RS
Information

system is deactivated.
and opens a gap.
We did try this and the difference is the RS does get some power as the taillights flash when you press the unlock on the key, however door sill buttons are still non response even by holding it for 2 seconds

Quick Reply: PSA: 992 GT3RS Dead Battery