Notices
992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

How to engage neutral when the engine won’t start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 05:37 PM
Mike_N
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Was parked at a small shopping mall when my 2021 PTS wouldn't start. Doors unlocked, electronics worked, but dead engine. Flatbed eventually showed up, but couldn't fit behind the car in the small parking lot nor could we figure out how to put it in neutral to re-orient it. I was into it about 4 hours when I got a Porsche Tech from the local dealership to show up. He implied I was SOL (car would spend the night there) if we couldn't get it started. He tested some theories and eventually determined one of my keys had gone bad and, I guess as they are designed to do, the other key reprogrammed as well. So neither key worked, the car wouldn't start, and my car was about to become a fixture of the parking lot. Thankfully, he reprogrammed the key with a hack on the spot, we got the car started and I made it to the dealership. To this day, I have no idea what our plan b would have been . . . but I thought I remembered the Tech talking about initiating neutral from under the car (whatever that would entail in a parking lot). An eye-opening experience and I've never parked in a place that didn't have easy flatbed access since.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike_N:
CanAutM3 (08-23-2022), shrimp money (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 01:44 AM
Congo123
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Necro posting on this because I had this happen to me. There is a tool that looks like a wedge that was in my center compartment in my 991.2 turbo s. You remove the casing around the shifter and there’s a button that lets you shift to neutral. Hope this helps someone.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:43 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by Congo123
Necro posting on this because I had this happen to me. There is a tool that looks like a wedge that was in my center compartment in my 991.2 turbo s. You remove the casing around the shifter and there’s a button that lets you shift to neutral. Hope this helps someone.
The 992 no longer has that feature according to my Porsche Tech friends
Old 09-14-2023, 07:58 PM
Risky_Business
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad this was resolved. Sleeping in the car was a dedicated move and nice to see.

I had a similar, albeit less dramatic scenario, where my battery died because my tender outlet failed and I couldn’t open the frunck, which made for a few interesting hours in my garage but eventually I got it on a flat bed and to the dealership. I can’t recall exactly what I did but I think I blocked a lot of it out mentally as at one point I had a bent coat hanger in my hand.
The following users liked this post:
Icegrill (01-09-2024)
Old 09-20-2023, 01:28 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,527 Likes on 551 Posts

There is a bolt-hole on the bottom of the transmission, if you screw a bolt into it, the car will be forced into Neutral.
To get to it, you have to remove the undertray. On the cabrio, there is a hole you can quickly remove instead of the full undertray.

-Charles@M
The following 2 users liked this post by M Engineering:
eclou (09-20-2023), MaxLTV (12-19-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 01:58 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
There is a bolt-hole on the bottom of the transmission, if you screw a bolt into it, the car will be forced into Neutral.
To get to it, you have to remove the undertray. On the cabrio, there is a hole you can quickly remove instead of the full undertray.

-Charles@M
Need to invent/manufacture a remote bolt inserter for this!
Old 09-20-2023, 03:13 PM
pman3
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
I was finally able to get the car at the dealer this morning. I ended up spending the night in the car. I did not want to leave it unguarded and unlocked in a dark shopping mart parking lot all night. This morning, a second tow truck driver, with the assistance of a Porsche tech on the phone, was able to get the car started by jumping the starter ground with a jumper cable under the car, but the car would shut down after a few minutes. At least it got on the flatbed under its own power. Now waiting for the diagnostic from the dealer.
Oh gosh, Im feeling sorry for you. Good that you managed to make it to the dealer finally.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:14 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 205 Posts

- mine got dragged on the flat bed,and when it got to the dealership was able to be started by a tech and his laptop

- this was for the ground cable bolt that was recalled - wouldn't start
Old 12-16-2023, 01:19 AM
kenjis992
Track Day

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I had this happen today, quite awful experience. Early morning cold start car started fine leaving home, had the car also trickle charging overnight with Porsche charge-o-mat in the garage. After couple of hours at the gym, when leaving it struggled to start and got what appears to be 'p not available' warning, I can't recall but may have gotten also 'engine control error' too then eventually lost power.

Called Porsche Roadside Assistance (PRA) to jump start the car, briefly regained power, was able to pop the trunk, but wouldn't start got the same error then lost power. Driver window half down wouldn't go up, door handle wouldn't even go back in. Called PRA for towing, I came across this post and the other post then requested a flatbed operator with skates or a dolly since the car couldn't be engaged to neutral.

Every towing company PRA assigned cancelled after 1.5 hour of wait, four were assigned in total and not a single one was equipped or willing to undertake the task.
I finally called my insurance (Geico) and after explaining my situation was able to get a towing company who could properly place skates on the rear wheels and slide my 992 C2S Cab on to the flatbed. Made it to the dealer right before they closed, since they were about to close and the window is partially down and door handle out, they plugged a mini jump starter to the outlet under the driver's console to see if enough power can be triggered to close the window and lock the car and it appear batter had some power not dead. They taped up the window as that was the only thing they can do and now waiting diagnostic from the dealer when they can examine it more thoroughly...

What baffles me was the PRA experience, you would think since it's Porsche Roadside Assistance they would be contracted with towing companies that can properly handle these scenarios, looks like they're third party service providers and per OP pretty much rolling the dice with towing company dispatchers; not acceptable in my opinion.

992 is 2020 low mileage under 10k, driven 3-4 max a week short distance. Thinking this is also a ground bolt cable issue or engine ground connection ? Wiring ? Very frustrating.

Last edited by kenjis992; 12-16-2023 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-16-2023, 05:23 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,672 Likes on 1,255 Posts

The only way to get a 992 PDK out of Park is to do it electrically. Either the cars onboard system has to do this as it normally does it or with a fairly high end Bi-Directional Scan Tool and most of the system electronics must be intact for this to work.
Otherwise, if you're parked nose first into your garage, as I was, the tow company needs to have a set of what are called "Skates" both to extract the car from the garage and to load it onto a flatbed. For whatever reason, very few tow companies carry a set of these "Skates"
Following my "ordeal" I went out and purchased a set of Skates. If 2WD you'll need two of them. For those with 4WD you'll need four of them.
See the pictures below:
Amazon Amazon

Four Skates ~$75 on Amazon for a set of four Skates.

Tow Skate as used to load on a Flat Bed Tow Truck.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 12-16-2023 at 05:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
abiazis (12-19-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 07:47 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,310 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
The only way to get a 992 PDK out of Park is to do it electrically. Either the cars onboard system has to do this as it normally does it or with a fairly high end Bi-Directional Scan Tool and most of the system electronics must be intact for this to work.
Otherwise, if you're parked nose first into your garage, as I was, the tow company needs to have a set of what are called "Skates" both to extract the car from the garage and to load it onto a flatbed. For whatever reason, very few tow companies carry a set of these "Skates"
Following my "ordeal" I went out and purchased a set of Skates. If 2WD you'll need two of them. For those with 4WD you'll need four of them.
See the pictures below:
.https://www.amazon.com/Skates-Wrecke...c1a776d5d&th=1

Four Skates ~$75 on Amazon for a set of four Skates.

Tow Skate as used to load on a Flat Bed Tow Truck.
Are you sure the parking pawl is electrically actuated? I have a hunch it is hydraulically actuated...
Old 12-18-2023, 11:40 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,527 Likes on 551 Posts

If you screw a bolt into this hole here on the bottom of the transmission, the car is then forced into Neutral. You can use one of the bolts that holds in your taillights, it's the correct thread pitch and length.

-Charles@M
The following 5 users liked this post by M Engineering:
CanAutM3 (12-18-2023), eclou (12-19-2023), MaxLTV (12-19-2023), Pad Bender (12-19-2023), Tupper (12-20-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 10:36 AM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

Rented a 911 cabriolet from Porsche drive in Germany. Drove to Saltzburg where we parked in an underground parking lot and when I went to drive in to our next destination the remote would not unlock this 992-911. So I walked the streets of Saltzburg looking for a remote battery. Found a new battery - nope still won’t unlock. Remove the emergency key. Put this in the drivers door lock. Key refuses to turn. Again walk the streets of Saltzburg searching for a pair of pliers. Finally find a shop with pliers that loan me for a $20 deposit. Go back to the car and now the key just spins round and round in the lock- door refuses to open still.

Call Posrsche roadside assistance. Tow truck arrives. Says he can’t tow the car of course - it is in a cement garage underground.

taxi to the Saltzburg Porsche dealership. Too late today but on Tuesday they will get a tech out to get the car out of the garage. They loan us a Macon - why Tuesday? Because they can’t spare a tech on Saturday they say and Sunday closed and Monday closed for a Holiday. This was becoming a comedy of errors. Find a nearby crappy hotel and spend an extra 3 nights in Saltzburg when we were planning to drive the Swiss Alps.

arrrive at dealership Tuesday morning. Tow truck company comes to the dealership and they “train” this fellow on how to open the frunk to get to the battery so he can jump the battery to get the door open so then the car could be started to get it out of the garage and onto a tow truck. Porsche tech tells me there was a pull string beneath the driver side wheel well cover that could be pulled to open the frunk in the 991 but Porsche removed this in the 992. Genius- saved them $10 on a $/150,000 car. So the tow truck driver went to the garage with his special Porsche tool- a long long screwdriver in hand. It took him four plus hours to figure out how to jack the car up to get underneath and use the screwdriver as a wedge to push on the front lock mechanism to pop the frunk. During this time I found a 718 GT4-RS, first one I had seen, and had McDonald’s delivered to the waiting room at the dealer.

car finally arrives on a flatbed - service department said the problem was not the battery but an issue with the software version - flashed the system with the new update solving the problem.

turns out even if you can get the car open you need some tiny jumper alligator clips to attach to a specific contact that pops out of the fuse box and a small 12 volt battery of some kind to provide enough power to energize the frunk mechanism to get to the battery so you can jump the battery to start a dead battery problem.

so I now carry alligator jump wires in each of my five porsche sports cars and spare batteries for the remote control Also and try to avoid all parking structures as well.

wasted days of our driving trip to the Swiss Alps sitting in a Porsche dealership.

tech also tells me that a “lot” of the 992-911’s have a problem with the emergency door lock key mechanism not working properly. Suggestion- Try the emergency key in the door sometime to find out if it works.

Porsche service was not able to get a replacement door lock mechanism so off we went with a 911 with still a broken emergency key door lock.

Consider buying a set for your 992-911. Most tow truck guys don’t carry these test leads to jump the car to get the front frunk open to jump the battery. Stupid design.

Old 12-19-2023, 12:46 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,214 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
If you screw a bolt into this hole here on the bottom of the transmission, the car is then forced into Neutral. You can use one of the bolts that holds in your taillights, it's the correct thread pitch and length.

-Charles@M
Thanks for the post! But this is a ridiculous design by Porsche. FFS, unscrew a bolt from a taillight and screw it into an unmarked hole in the transmission - did they hire an escape room designer for this job?
The following 3 users liked this post by MaxLTV:
eclou (12-19-2023), Larson E. Rapp (12-21-2023), Tupper (12-20-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 02:21 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
The 992 no longer has that feature according to my Porsche Tech friends
what can the paddles do extra?normal series paddle come with 2 wires,gt,gts,gt3 etc all come with 4 wires on the paddles.Are those the only ones that go neutral when you click both of them?

Quick Reply: How to engage neutral when the engine won’t start?