1500 Miles and the ENGINE is OUT

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 12:43 AM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Imback_Again
UPDATE

So it’s been 6 weeks and we haven’t really gotten anywhere other than pulling the motor and now disassembling the motor. Porsche has not said where this is going other than they are investigating. The SA doesn’t know anything and the things he claims to know are completely wrong. At this point they have had the car in their garage longer than I have had it in mine. I’ve made 2 payments on the car and both payments were made with the car in their possession.

The whole thing is just a cat and mouse game, and nothing happens they way the SA says.

They pretty much load their info into the Porsche portal and then wait a few days for Porsche to respond. Once Porsche responds, the dealer proceeds with the new instructions. It’s so slow.

They originally said it was a bad ignition coil on the #5 cylinder and that it was ordered and they would let me know when they received an eta for the part. I told them to switch the ignition coil 4 with 5 and see if the problem moved to 4. They did that and nothing changed. #5 still had a problem. #4 was fine. It’s not the ignition coil.

I stop by a week later and the motor is out (it would be really nice if they would give you a heads up, they don’t). I asked sarcastically, what’s next, tear it apart? The SA said “Porsche won’t let us disassemble a motor. Porsche has us send those to Porsche for disassembly and inspection.” They asked us to pull the motor so we can take some compressions.

They took the compressions and #4 showed to have an issue (yes, #4, that’s the first time that #4 was mentioned). So they send that data to Porsche. Then wait a couple of days.

Then Porsche asked them to do a camera bore on #4. That showed scaring on the cylinder walls. Wait a few more days.

All of this has taken 6 weeks. Now I show up today and they have the motor taken apart. Remember, they said they never take the motors apart. I am so frustrated. And I feel like I’m going to show up next week and they’re rebuilding the motor?

This is unacceptable but it’s where we are. I didn’t buy a new car to have a rebuilt motor.

I have no interest in selling the car but I can’t help to wonder if this is deteriorating my value.

Thoughts?
This is an open and shut lemon case if you get to a point where you want to wash your hands of it.

If not, stick with it!!! They will figure it out eventually and there is compensation available to you. The brand has a good track record of making things right in my experience.

Once it is resolved, ask (nicely) for a 10 year warranty and maybe cover one of your payments. This approach has been successful for me on an e-hybrid lemon. Although Porsche ended up writing me a check for exactly what I paid and took the car back. No lawyers involved (thank god)
I got 2 years out of the car though.

Last edited by User 81423; 04-27-2023 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-27-2023, 08:06 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

This needs to be escalated to the service manager and general manager of the dealer as well as pcna (if you havent already). The mechanical situation ia bad but the inconsistent and lacking communication is a bigger problem. Good luck
Old 04-27-2023, 12:14 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 248 Posts

Lemon Law Attorney is your next step. Let them take it from here.
Old 04-27-2023, 12:29 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 535 Posts

Doesn't the car have to be back several times for the same issue for the lemon law to apply?
Old 04-27-2023, 12:35 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Sorry for your experience, OP - hope PNA/PAG steps up and does the right thing (i.e. install new engine and offer some compensation for your troubles).

As far as Lemon Laws, those vary widely across states so do keep that in mind. For example, in some states you have to demonstrate that you had the very same issue re-occur 3 (three) times, and each attempt to remedy it by the manufacturer has been unsuccessful. And be prepared for a legal fight back as it is not cheap for the manufacturer to lemon a car (it's essentially a buyback), and often you will get a 'settlement' offer (e.g. they'll fix it and you get a monetary payment).
Old 04-27-2023, 12:55 PM
mirage15
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 992 GT3 that is throwing CEL's as well. Mine seems to be a fuel problem of some kind. Originally if you sat at idle with the engine warmed up it would throw a message "Engine Control Error. Driving Permitted. Visit Workshop". After driving about 15 seconds it would clear itself. The dealer has replaced a low pressure sensor and it helped but would still throw codes at times. They are now replacing the fuel pump and potentially the same pressure sensor with a different version. According to the dealer PAG says it is a known issue that will be address in some future software upgrade.

Overall the 992 seems to have extremely sensitive sensors.
Old 04-27-2023, 01:44 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Doesn't the car have to be back several times for the same issue for the lemon law to apply?
Depends on the particular state.

For some states, it’s based on the time the car is down and can be for different reasons, e.g. CA.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (04-28-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 03:52 PM
GTTROIS
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage15
I have a 992 GT3 that is throwing CEL's as well. Mine seems to be a fuel problem of some kind. Originally if you sat at idle with the engine warmed up it would throw a message "Engine Control Error. Driving Permitted. Visit Workshop". After driving about 15 seconds it would clear itself. The dealer has replaced a low pressure sensor and it helped but would still throw codes at times. They are now replacing the fuel pump and potentially the same pressure sensor with a different version. According to the dealer PAG says it is a known issue that will be address in some future software upgrade.

Overall the 992 seems to have extremely sensitive sensors.
My 11/2022 car also suffered from a bad fuel injector after only 300mls, so I initially thought that OP’s problems stemmed from a similar issue, but apparently, his problems seem more involved still.
Good news is since this issue has been fixed, my car has been flawless. ODO has nearly 3k mls on the clock now.

EDIT: also forgot to mention that in a case like OP, I would have long opened a case with customer service down in Atlanta to see if they can “activate” things and to seek resolution.

Last edited by GTTROIS; 04-27-2023 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2023, 04:22 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,852 Likes on 5,174 Posts

Not a lemon law expert, nor do I pretend to be one.

But would invoking whatever state the OP's in, is the lemon law route actually a good thing?

As I understand it, a lemon law buyer has to options (1) reimbursement of purchase price or (2) replacement.

Given the rather difficult to get and scarcity of allocation of GT3's, option 1 seems like the most likely. But not sure that's what the OP would want, again, given the difficulty in securing a GT3 and the scarcity of configurable allocations.
Old 04-27-2023, 04:25 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Given the rather difficult to get and scarcity of allocation of GT3's, option 1 seems like the most likely. But not sure that's what the OP would want, again, given the difficulty in securing a GT3 and the scarcity of configurable allocations.
PCNA always has a few discretionary allocations under the sofa cushions.
The following 2 users liked this post by soulsea:
2fnquik (06-03-2023), Carlo_Carrera (04-30-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 04:35 PM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
or a consecutive amount of days in service with no resolution. In California I think it’s 30 days?

Not legal advice
thebishman (04-28-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 05:01 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD
or a consecutive amount of days in service with no resolution. In California I think it’s 30 days?

Not legal advice
Varies by state, in NJ for example it is 'only' 20 days within the first 2 years / 24K miles of ownership. And it does not have to be consecutive.

Developing repeat defects is another clause. Audi had a number of B7 RS4s lemoned due to a leaking DRC suspension, mostly because of this clause (repeatability) vs the time in service. They knew they had a problem so would take your car in when they had the 'replacement' suspension in stock and car would be ready in a couple of days. Problem was, it was equally faulty as other than a -a/b/c part number revision it was the same faulty suspension. So while your car would be back on the road in the matter of days, you found yourself needing the same (bad) new components in a few weeks/months. It resulted in a legal settlement (similar to the C5 RS6 sedan) where if you paid for an aftermarket solution (e.g. Ohlins, KW), Audi of America reimbursed the cost for such, and you got a nice check for having your aftermarket suspension of choice.

User 81423 (04-29-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 05:36 PM
cadster
Instructor

Received 306 Likes on 110 Posts

Lemon law or not, this is not what you signed up for. They need to buy the car back, and then provide you a new replacement car at a later date. I feel terrible for you. What a mess…. You definitely need to sit down with the GM or owner. How extensive is your purchase/service history in the dealership?
Old 04-29-2023, 01:48 AM
mirage15
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GTTROIS
My 11/2022 car also suffered from a bad fuel injector after only 300mls, so I initially thought that OP’s problems stemmed from a similar issue, but apparently, his problems seem more involved still.
Good news is since this issue has been fixed, my car has been flawless. ODO has nearly 3k mls on the clock now.

EDIT: also forgot to mention that in a case like OP, I would have long opened a case with customer service down in Atlanta to see if they can “activate” things and to seek resolution.
I got mine back today after another sensor and fuel pump replacement, only to get a low oil light within 10 minutes. They are going to be releasing a software update at some point so the warnings are less sensitive. From what I was told the fuel issues and sensitivity are known issues to PAG.
Old 04-29-2023, 10:57 AM
Imback_Again
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks guys for all the comments, I’ll try to answer some of the questions.

I’m in Texas. Unfortunately I was never able to get an allocation. After that year of wasted time, I found my GT3 in Illinois. It was brand new and sitting on their showroom. (You can read more about that adventure HERE)

I did call Porche customer service. The CSR just simply opened a case and said someone would reach out in 3-5 days. That was on Tuesday the 25th and on Friday I got an email from someone in Atlanta saying they had just received the case and that they needed 3-5 days to get their arms around it. So the wait continues.

I talked to the local dealer yesterday (Friday the 28th) and he said nothing had changed. That Porsche had asked for some BS compression data from the opposite side. They are just going in circles.

As for the whole lemon law thing. I don’t think it will be a problem to get Porsche to buy the car back. But that will be a mess and quite frankly not at all what I want. I spent a year trying to get a GT3 and I still want one. I just need them to fix my car, or give me an allocation for another GT3.

What if they offer an RS allocation. Should you take that?

Last edited by Imback_Again; 04-29-2023 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: 1500 Miles and the ENGINE is OUT