Need help and guidance regarding RS allocation

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 12:53 AM
Among
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

1. Delete this post before they become aware of it
2. Go work on that relationship in person
3. Demands or entitlement won’t work. That GM has full discretion on who gets the allocations.
Old 04-07-2023, 01:18 AM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,833 Likes on 539 Posts

OP you're coming up on a lot of new realities that have manifested since you originally put your deposit down for a 992 RS before the 991.2 RS was released.

So many things have changed and so many msrp dealers are no more, either because there's just too much money to be made in ADMs or because they sold cars at MSRP to their regulars only to see them flip them. There are very few msrp across the board dealers, some of them them are max ADM all the time others have different relationships with different customers that go from max adm to no adm and anywhere in-between. It should also be noted that when forging said relationships, what dealers tend to value more isn't necessarily how many cars you buy from them but how many of those cars you give back to them.

I wish any of us had an answer for you that would yield a satisfactory solution, but the cold fact is without having signed a letter of agreement at the time of deposit you are now back to square one. I do agree with those who say to just go in there and talk to them, perhaps offer them your GT car in a trade if you still have it, appeal to the fact that you did have a previous agreement, obviously mention your purchase history, and maybe they'll give you more consideration than someone who just walks off the street.

Good luck.

Last edited by soulsea; 04-07-2023 at 01:22 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by soulsea:
brake dust (04-07-2023), cadster (04-07-2023), catdog2 (04-18-2023), crbiker (04-10-2023), daveo4porsche (04-07-2023), gago1101 (04-07-2023), Peruna (04-07-2023), usctrojanGT3 (04-07-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-07-2023, 01:24 AM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 312 Posts

Sadly, this is a common story, at least in NorCal. Some long-term deposit holders have lost their spots. Others have ordered GT cars and when they show up for delivery, they are asked to pay an ADM on a car they spec'd and waited months for. There is little recourse in California – just as the buyer can walk away up until the car is delivered, the dealer can apparently walk away from the deal too. There are some good dealers left and sometimes relationships still matter. Just less so than in the past.

@Among is correct, delete your post. This is coming from a minnow swimming in an ocean full of whales.
The following 4 users liked this post by sparkhill:
AlexCeres (04-08-2023), catdog2 (04-18-2023), daveo4porsche (04-07-2023), gago1101 (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 03:58 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
OP you're coming up on a lot of new realities that have manifested since you originally put your deposit down for a 992 RS before the 991.2 RS was released.

So many things have changed and so many msrp dealers are no more, either because there's just too much money to be made in ADMs or because they sold cars at MSRP to their regulars only to see them flip them. There are very few msrp across the board dealers, some of them them are max ADM all the time others have different relationships with different customers that go from max adm to no adm and anywhere in-between. It should also be noted that when forging said relationships, what dealers tend to value more isn't necessarily how many cars you buy from them but how many of those cars you give back to them.

I wish any of us had an answer for you that would yield a satisfactory solution, but the cold fact is without having signed a letter of agreement at the time of deposit you are now back to square one. I do agree with those who say to just go in there and talk to them, perhaps offer them your GT car in a trade if you still have it, appeal to the fact that you did have a previous agreement, obviously mention your purchase history, and maybe they'll give you more consideration than someone who just walks off the street.

Good luck.

Really appreciate the insight.

What I am hearing from you and others is that Porsche is redefining itself as a brand. It is becoming an article of trade and commodity more than a thing to use and enjoy.

I was already on the fence whether the RS worth the ridiculous, almost 300k price they put on it. I personally do not need the RS. Let all of you collectors have it.

I drive my GT3 at the track and enjoy it. Sometimes I drive my BRZ at the track and enjoy more. Porsche can take the RS and shove it... why would I delete this post?

Edit: again thank you for your thoughtful comment. The bitterness in this post is not directed to you at all.

Last edited by gago1101; 04-07-2023 at 04:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gago1101:
Dr.Bill (04-08-2023), shrimp money (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 04:07 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,153 Likes on 5,284 Posts

I don’t understand what you are complaining about.

Life is not fair.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (04-08-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 04:13 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Among
1. Delete this post before they become aware of it
2. Go work on that relationship in person
3. Demands or entitlement won’t work. That GM has full discretion on who gets the allocations.
You may have missed it, I had a relationship with this dealer and salesman for over 9 years.
porsche.earth (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 04:21 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I don’t understand what you are complaining about.

Life is not fair.

tell me about it… life is not fair, but one needs to fight for justice & fairness. Do not give in to that lame excuse
The following 7 users liked this post by gago1101:
Angryinch (04-08-2023), Brainofjjj (04-07-2023), Captain P (04-07-2023), MM3.9GT3 (04-11-2023), porsche.earth (04-07-2023), subshooter (04-07-2023), Turbo Racer (04-12-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-07-2023, 05:31 AM
porsche.earth
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101

What I am hearing from you and others is that Porsche is redefining itself as a brand. It is becoming an article of trade and commodity more than a thing to use and enjoy.
In my opinion, sometimes its okay to have values that don't include prioritization of monetization. Sometimes the prioritization of monetization can have negative effects. Not cool what happened to you.

In December 2020, I bought my 911 because another brand was giving me the runaround about a much cheaper car. I was so fed up with their BS that I decided to take my business elsewhere. I went to a local Porsche dealership and was told that they weren't going to get many Spyders. I sat in a Cayman but realized it was too small and would cause me knee pain. So I started looking at 911s from the list of available stock and incoming vehicles. I ended up with a car that was about twice as expensive (paid MSRP) as the one I was originally looking at from the other brand. That was definitely the other brand's loss.

At some point, it stops being about the money and starts being about principle. If someone gives you their word on something and then doesn't follow through, saying "Oh, my bad, things changed. Didn't I tell you? Oh, I didn't and I completely wasted your time? Oh well, that's your problem, not mine." That's just lame and off-putting. If that happened to me, I would start planning for my next car to be twice as expensive as the one I got screwed over, just to spite everyone involved in screwing me over. Voting with your wallet is a real thing.

Eventually, towards the end of the 2RS production run, I will try to buy one that I can spec. If I can't, I will save my money and buy a car twice as expensive out of spite. As far as I know, Porsche doesn't sell anything twice as expensive as a 2RS, so that would be Porsche's loss.

I previously inquired about trading my car in for a GT3 in mid 2021. I really wanted a blue car (if S Cab in Gentian or Night with RAS was available I probably would have jumped on that, but CWM with RAS was available from the list I picked from and I wanted my car next weekend not next year). I really liked Shark Blue so my hopes were high that I could swap to it, day and night thinking "damn this blue is so nice, I need to have it". The GT3 came out a couple months after I bought my car and I was told the list was 80 people deep and all of the "more money than god" people would be getting the car. I asked about a Turbo S and was told "2 year wait." Since then, I've re-evaluated what I want from my P-cars. I want a RWD Cab to daily (my current 21 S cab) and a 2RS or the 918 successor for my high speed runs (S Cab lacks downforce, its a safety issue for the things I enjoy doing, so I need something with a lot more downforce). This completely eliminated any desire/interest that I had for GT3s, GT3RSs, or Turbos. I'm not even sure I want a Shark Blue car anymore (thanks Porsche for making it tough to get Shark Blue, my eyes have since been opened to the wonderous PTS blues available and I wouldn't have been satisfied with Shark Blue after seeing South Sea Metallic Blue). After all these considerations, if I can't get a 2RS, I will very simply make more money and buy an even faster car, whether or not Porsche will make one, whether they sell it to me, whether the money goes elsewhere, these things are out of my control. Is this a great strategy for me to attain a 2RS? Probably not, but I have principles, and at the end of the day, I will get the car that is right for me, and no car that is right for me would involve a compromisation of my values.

My 2 cents, in case you wanted an additional viewpoint.

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-07-2023 at 06:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by porsche.earth:
gago1101 (04-07-2023), subshooter (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 06:34 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,230 Likes on 481 Posts

So sorry this has happened to you. Have heard this story a lot over the years. Best advice I could offer was mentioned above, assuming this is your closest dealer. Go there, meet with GM, explain your past purchases and future purchase plans and simply try to get in good graces. I know it sucks, but such is the market at this time when it’s being flooded by posers with cash who will spend tons because they want the hip new toy with goofy PTS color so they can show off on the way to dinner. It catches us enthusiasts out sometimes which sucks. Best of luck
The following 3 users liked this post by disden:
Captain P (04-07-2023), gago1101 (04-07-2023), subshooter (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 06:39 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101
Look, this was not the 1st transaction. I had put my name with them in 2015 for a 991.2 GT3, I did get the allocation, and I was number 1 or 2 customer to get my GT3 in December of 2017. So why would I expect anything else?

it was crazy back then also. I did get it for MSRP. Oh, and I have bought other cars from them. So yes, I did expect to get the RS and I hope they will deliver on the promise
Unfortunately its not as simple as being first/earliest on the list anymore (there are rare exceptions). The way things are right now, dealers will get their money one way or another. Either you pay ADM, or they crush you on trade value, or you buy a bunch of cars every year at MSRP. No matter how you slice it, these dealers are going to get paid. Is it right? Of course not, the entire dealership model in this country is unnecessary. I should be able to order my car directly from Porsche (See Tesla). But thats another discussion.
The following 9 users liked this post by RossP:
AlecG (04-15-2023), Captain P (04-07-2023), daveo4porsche (04-07-2023), Diablo Dude (04-07-2023), gago1101 (04-07-2023), mcsmcs1 (04-08-2023), Peruna (04-07-2023), shrimp money (04-07-2023), subshooter (04-07-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-07-2023, 07:57 PM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Does it really need to be said?

You think you’re important, and you’re not. There are other customers that are way more profitable than you’ve been, and they get dibs.
This is such a ****ty take. I am not important and I did get mine and honestly this talk of importance is kinda killing the whole desire to continue owning one honestly. Dude/Lady has been ****ed around and rightly frustrated and we want to distill his lack of success to societal standing? This is Porsche, not Ferrari where most people know they are dicks and walk in knowing they are dicks. Porsche was never this dicky in my experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by Captain P:
AlecG (04-15-2023), MM3.9GT3 (04-11-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 08:00 PM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 259 Posts

OP Try a different state and call different dealers and tell them exactly what you said building empathy is very powerful even though it might sound silly. If you want I can introduce you to my dealer here and see how it pans out, I have introduced 3 folks and they all got their cars eventually (one actually got the RS allocation without ADM but had to buy a watch before me!! But he had something they wanted).
gago1101 (04-08-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 09:42 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Sorry to say just because a dealer said you are on a list, and you are going to get an allocation does not mean anything.
This is no different than buying a New Rolex Daytona. They have many lists and they are basically meaningless.
On the other hand, if you have a commission # in hand than that is a different story.
Good luck in finding an RS without a crazy ADM.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:04 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,377 Likes on 2,139 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain P
This is such a ****ty take. I am not important and I did get mine and honestly this talk of importance is kinda killing the whole desire to continue owning one honestly. Dude/Lady has been ****ed around and rightly frustrated and we want to distill his lack of success to societal standing? This is Porsche, not Ferrari where most people know they are dicks and walk in knowing they are dicks. Porsche was never this dicky in my experience.

It is what it is, I’m not the one making the decisions. This is the way Porsche is moving it seems.

When is the last time you’ve seen Manny Khoshbin do videos on Macans and Cayennes that he’s had to buy to get all the desirable Porsche allocations?

I honestly don’t even understand why people like him mess around with getting a GT3 or 50th anniversary Targa Heritage, or any other peasant level Porsche. At that level, with the limited time you have to drive, who would pick a Targa over a Chiron? But then again, oftentimes I’ll take my work van over the 911 just because. Same-same 😂
AlexCeres (04-08-2023)
Old 04-08-2023, 12:20 AM
porsche.earth
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
It is what it is, I’m not the one making the decisions. This is the way Porsche is moving it seems.

When is the last time you’ve seen Manny Khoshbin do videos on Macans and Cayennes that he’s had to buy to get all the desirable Porsche allocations?

I honestly don’t even understand why people like him mess around with getting a GT3 or 50th anniversary Targa Heritage, or any other peasant level Porsche. At that level, with the limited time you have to drive, who would pick a Targa over a Chiron? But then again, oftentimes I’ll take my work van over the 911 just because. Same-same 😂
chatgpt had this to say..
Manny is the kind of person for whom smoking packages are created, so he can then go out and test the smoking packages, so they can make more smoking packages, it's just math. While many people concern themselves with the resale value of sports cars, Manny enjoys smoking cigars as he cruises in hypercars. If he wasn't acquiring cars, who else would be testing these smoking packages? Is it even politically correct for a Porsche test driver to smoke? I appreciate Manny's contributions and regret that my own car didn't come with a smoking package, so I could enjoy a joint while driving.

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-08-2023 at 01:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Need help and guidance regarding RS allocation