Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adam LZ GT3....bought on Copart to live again...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 12:01 AM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 492 Likes on 303 Posts

Be interesting to see if he gets checked by Porsche, as he did with other rebuilds. I thought the tub replacement looked pretty sound - amazed that the suspension mount points are suspended from a structure glued and pop rivetted in 😳
Old 03-27-2023, 12:01 AM
Need4Speedster
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 39 Posts

^
Are you naive enough to think that the information disclosed above amounts to adequate disclosure?

Should something untoward happen a "plaintiff's lawyer ( I am sure there are many on here) will have a field day with discovery.

Oh wait.. a UK company individual selling in the US......messy already?

Old 03-27-2023, 12:31 AM
Need4Speedster
Instructor

What if something untoward happens and there is an uninformed "passenger" in the car?

Remember the famous CGT where a passenger was killed (on track) and the driver's estate was sued, and Porsche ended up contributing too?

Buying a car like this to save a "buck" is false economy. the lawyers fees to any defense will eat you alive. Note: some of them on here can burn money like there is no tomorrow..where do you think it came from?

If you have a huge risk appetite I get it

If you are unaware I get it

If you are "poor" I get it

If you have "deep pockets" you are stupid!
Old 03-27-2023, 03:17 AM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 120 Posts

Anyone buying this car will know and be okay with how it was repaired. It's probably the most individually notable 992 GT3 that exists now
Old 03-27-2023, 03:20 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,039 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by chapmans
Anyone buying this car will know and be okay with how it was repaired. It's probably the most individually notable 992 GT3 that exists now
Its a **** box. Its not individual, its a damaged and poorly repaired car. Period. I note the tub located between the two front rails (structural elements of the front clip) was damaged. If either of these rails is bent or torn, the recommended fix is to remove the front clip from the bulkhead and replace it with a new from factory full front structural clip.

How will anyone buying this car be OK with the repair, how will they know if its been repaired to a safe standard - because some tuber says so?

Its simple, if it hasn't been on a jig - they don't know if the car is "straight". There are a whole series of knock on effects from there.

Porsche are very careful with this stuff, thats why they won't sell certain parts to anyone that walks in off the street - they have their own network of accredited repairers who are trained and audited by Porsche to ensure high performance vehicles, built to high standards remain safe and within specification.

Moreover, at some point the car will have to have a ton of codes related to the accident removed and erased - this invariably involves Porsche Germany and the issuing of various codes usually through a dealer (There are a range of reasons for this process largely related to the stolen vehicle and rebirthing market).

Ultimately a lot depends on the end game, if it simply to resurrect a write off as a track toy for personal use, good luck to him. Alternatively, if the end game is to bodge the car back together and move it on thats a different matter entirely.

Last edited by groundhog; 03-27-2023 at 06:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Need4Speedster (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 07:32 AM
Need4Speedster
Instructor

^
Even as a “track toy” there exists potential liabilities which (competent) plaintiff’s attorneys would be required to flesh out in any discovery.

Why anyone would saddle themselves with such a potential nightmare is beyond me!
Old 03-27-2023, 08:47 AM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 492 Likes on 303 Posts

Sad to see entrepreneurial spirit and enthusiasm dampened by liability considerations- I doubt if aviation would have happened if the Wright brothers had listened to their lawyers...
Some of the light aircraft I have flown and flown in have been considerably more sketchy, electromechanically, than Matt's repairs 😳
The following 3 users liked this post by Mercuriell:
joejenie (04-01-2023), michaeldorian (03-27-2023), saabfreak (01-16-2024)
Old 03-27-2023, 08:50 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Some may want to learn more about “as is where is” in the States…
SB27 (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 08:59 AM
Need4Speedster
Instructor

In the immortal words of Bill Clinton even the definition of the word “is” is up for grabs.

The facts of any case would have to be established before any definition would be applied. That is a money spinning exercise which would mitigate against the ownership of a “cheap” car.

Last edited by Need4Speedster; 03-27-2023 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Grammar
SB27 (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 11:07 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 258 Likes on 161 Posts

US Customs would be a bit miffed knowing he brought all of those parts over from the UK and did pay an import fee. But, raising the rear of the car to force the air out of the coolant system was interesting to see in the last video. in that respect, why not just run the car with most of the air gone....with the coolant tank reservoir cap off....so that the air in the system gets bubbled out. Would that work? Or is there some magic using the PSWIS to send some sort of command to the coolant systems to help purge the air out?
Old 03-27-2023, 12:04 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
Btw, he has a second YouTube channel with some of the “behind the scene” footage and commentary. It looks like it’s getting just as many views.

I watched his videos on the Cayman. His work was a good watch.

I anticipate he will turn out a great product.
Ray and all,

For those of you (like me) obsessed by rebuild projects, there is a similar thing going on for us Cessna Twin guys on Rebuild Rescue (a Cessna 401 left outside and unserviced for 10+ years due to an expensive AD from the FAA). He got the 401A title for "free" and is now going throuhg a complete rebuild (including removing all the bird and rat nests that built up).The dude can get a little cheezy but he is doing it right.

This from a recovering 421B pilot -- so fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/@rebuildrescue

Maybe like this guy, he is wisely building his Internet fame and sponsorships to turn a really bad financial idea into a potentially free airplane. We will see. Like all these projects, there is way more to it than you initially think.

Unlike a GT3 project, if an engine stops in a 401 you can't just pull over to the side of the road. Things get real when you lose an engine in-flight. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:01 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,039 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
US Customs would be a bit miffed knowing he brought all of those parts over from the UK and did pay an import fee. But, raising the rear of the car to force the air out of the coolant system was interesting to see in the last video. in that respect, why not just run the car with most of the air gone....with the coolant tank reservoir cap off....so that the air in the system gets bubbled out. Would that work? Or is there some magic using the PSWIS to send some sort of command to the coolant systems to help purge the air out?
No its a pain in the neck - you have to raise the front then rear then drive, rinse and repeat until you get correct fill.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:10 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,189 Likes on 637 Posts

Hard to believe that he wont be way under water when he sells it.
He will have 190+ into it not counting labor and expense's like air fair from the UK a few times..
Maybe get 150 on a good day??
Track car??
I do enjoy watching it though..carl

Last edited by 4carl; 03-27-2023 at 09:18 PM.
Need4Speedster (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 09:38 PM
Dynamic3
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
Hard to believe that he wont be way under water when he sells it.
He will have 190+ into it not counting labor and expense's like air fair from the UK a few times..
Maybe get 150 on a good day??
Track car??
I do enjoy watching it though..carl
It’s as if this forum just discovered Youtube. The car is raw material for him to produce content, which is how he generates income, just like the other billion people on Youtube. He doesn’t have to sell it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dynamic3:
4carl (03-27-2023), Need4Speedster (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 09:45 PM
Need4Speedster
Instructor

^
Absolutely correct - When finished he should part it out and send the chassis to the crusher, and label it as education and entertainment fun for all.

The potential problems only begin when some else one buys it and/or an unknowing or unwitting passenger gets hurt in it, on the track or off.

Quick Reply: Adam LZ GT3....bought on Copart to live again...