Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Touring or Sport Classic-which would you pick?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 11:59 AM
Il CP
Pro

Received 507 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by shack993
I haven't driven my touring yet on a daily basis but have had extensive time in a Turbo. The turbo is a niiiiiice daily driver.

The SC very much appeals to me. I will never have the access to buy one new but would do so if there was one available. The combination of design, confort, back seats and a bat sh** crazy manual would make it a ton of fun.

The touring fits my personality. The SC fits my life better.

Bottom line: I don't know which one I would choose.
Let me make that easy for you. A Panamera fits daily life better than any 911 in just about every way. However, it has as much personality as a bucket of wall paper paste.
What you go for is the car that fits your personality. If you went for the car that just goes with life, you might as well get a Mercedes GLE diesel.
Old 05-02-2022, 01:44 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,905 Likes on 1,331 Posts

Touring and not even close. SC is all marketing hype and dumb expensive for what it is
Old 05-02-2022, 08:08 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 473 Likes on 237 Posts

Well, if you can get a sc you probably already have a touring so both.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mojonito:
michaeldorian (05-03-2022), mongoose88 (05-04-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 09:29 PM
jmrdmd
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 63 Posts

The SC is a car for the collector…I’m anxiously awaiting my Touring
Old 05-02-2022, 10:56 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 700 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojonito
Well, if you can get a sc you probably already have a touring so both.
Precisely.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:06 PM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Come to think it... Touring, exclusive Manufact the same cognac leather, PTS dolphin or a nice grey, and stick a ducktail on the back.

then loose it at 180km on a sweeper because you forgot to fix the aero and suspension tune...
Old 05-02-2022, 11:58 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 779 Likes on 344 Posts

Neither. My Touring feels huge. It looks giant next to my 964 widebody. I’m getting a GT4RS. Smaller package same GT3 engine and high on the fun meter.
The following 2 users liked this post by TexasPorschelover:
IrwinMFletcher (05-13-2022), oo7ml (07-11-2023)
Old 05-03-2022, 12:50 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasPorschelover
Neither. My Touring feels huge. It looks giant next to my 964 widebody. I’m getting a GT4RS. Smaller package same GT3 engine and high on the fun meter.
I really get this, keep in mind a "cayman" is about the same size as a 996 GT3 and the 996 GT3 is a whole lot of fun.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:59 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Condor Man
Initially I always discarded this new sport classic until I discovered what it actually was.... I think it will be an epic car and it looks better than a touring by quite a long way.

My manual GT3 Touring just arrived at the port in Emden and will be here in early June. I have always been a GT car guy and love the sound over turbo's.

Having stated this, I have already asked my dealer for a Sport Classic and I would love the have them both next to each other in Garage!
I'm really interested to know what you like about the SC thats a stark contrast from say a 992 GTS? Honest question.

I like yourself, and others on here, are lucky enough to buy anything we like and yet this particular car gives me brain freeze as it attacks my business brain.

Explain to me, as if I'm 12, the sell
Old 05-03-2022, 06:07 AM
Il CP
Pro

Originally Posted by groundhog
I'm really interested to know what you like about the SC thats a stark contrast from say a 992 GTS? Honest question.

I like yourself, and others on here, are lucky enough to buy anything we like and yet this particular car gives me brain freeze as it attacks my business brain.

Explain to me, as if I'm 12, the sell
Not sure that can be done. It does the same to me. Many cars which are more expensive, and arguably just as silly, speaks to me on an emotional level. However the SC gets the calculator running which tells me something important. If a car in this price range makes me feel uncomfortable about spending the money, then it's a bad idea to get into it. Such cars should be bought with the heart, not the business brain. An F8 is more expensive and not limited, but it felt right straight off the bat. I can't remember ever being offered a Porsche allocation which sat so poorly with me. If that's what goes on in your head, don't do it. It will be the car in the collection you try not to look at. I'm not kidding in what I'm about to say. Want a fun twin turbo manual? Either get the new Singer "930" or an F40. Yes they are more expensive, but for me at least, both are sensible from a business standpoint, and both go hit me on an emotional level.

Last edited by Il CP; 05-03-2022 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:34 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Il CP
Not sure that can be done. It does the same to me. Many cars which are more expensive, and arguably just as silly, speaks to me on an emotional level. However the SC gets the calculator running which tells me something important. If a car in this price range makes me feel uncomfortable about spending the money, then it's a bad idea to get into it. Such cars should be bought with the heart, not the business brain. An F8 is more expensive and not limited, but it felt right straight off the bat. I can't remember ever being offered a Porsche allocation which sat so poorly with me. If that's what goes on in your head, don't do it. It will be the car in the collection you try not to look at. I'm not kidding in what I'm about to say. Want a fun twin turbo manual? Either get the new Singer "930" or an F40. Yes they are more expensive, but for me at least, both are sensible from a business standpoint, and both go hit me on an emotional level.
Interesting thats my exact reaction - when I bought my 720S it was because I liked the design - I really didn't care about the performance (although I do like that aspect after the fact). With the SC, at least in my brain - I just see another mainstream 911. Perhaps I'm getting old lol. However, I do note Porsche signalled they were going the "lifestyle" route some years ago. In my mind thats a dangerous move as it basically trades market cache for weaker offerings with ever greater mark ups. I don't really think this fools anyone - at least I hope not.

You're also spot on with the Singer analogy - there are plenty of Porsche shops that will build a bespoke Porsche for you - with every exact detail done to your taste.

Last edited by groundhog; 05-03-2022 at 06:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Il CP (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 09:01 AM
Il CP
Pro

Originally Posted by groundhog
Interesting thats my exact reaction - when I bought my 720S it was because I liked the design - I really didn't care about the performance (although I do like that aspect after the fact). With the SC, at least in my brain - I just see another mainstream 911. Perhaps I'm getting old lol. However, I do note Porsche signalled they were going the "lifestyle" route some years ago. In my mind thats a dangerous move as it basically trades market cache for weaker offerings with ever greater mark ups. I don't really think this fools anyone - at least I hope not.

You're also spot on with the Singer analogy - there are plenty of Porsche shops that will build a bespoke Porsche for you - with every exact detail done to your taste.
Obviously all of these "accessories" represents some kind of lifestyle value. But a car like this very much caters to the collector or those who want a status symbol. I'm sure it's a nice drive, but I see nothing that sets it apart as a "pure" driving experience. It's a manual with a detuned tt engine. Zero excitement in that for me. The Porsche tts engine is a good engine, but as a fun and responsive engine I don't consider it a such. Compared to the Ferrari turbo engines, they feel laggy and slow to respond. So on several levels, I don't get this var. I can only see it as,a car that has the "Look, I got one" factor. To me it's just another 911. If I'm a bit more bliunt, I think it's a lazy attempt from Porsche. They could have done so much more if they wanted to create a special 911. Doubt we will see that until the 2RS arrives. Now the Singer 930 represents this specific segment very well actually. A bespoke car meant to be the ultimate Porsche grand tourer. It has the looks, the uniqueness, the rarity and to a degtree, pedigree. That is what Porsche should have done. Made a light 992 with carbon bodywork, a bespoke engine, a bespoke lightweightchassis and bespoke no-holds-barred cabin. Of course it might be twice the price, but at least it will be a proper exotic worthy of a numbered production. That's what the Singer 930 is, and already upon receiving the first photos and email. from Singer prior to its reveal, I knew I wanted one. I said yes as soon as they called, and that's exactly what a "special" car should do.

In earnest, the more I think about it, the less I like the SC. It's a fluff piece, nothing more.

Last edited by Il CP; 05-03-2022 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:40 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

If Porsche is listening..... Current lineup is incredible in performance and execution - no doubt. For true Porschephiles the following might be the holy grail:

A smaller 911 GT borne car but not focused on ring times but rather aggressive/stylish canyon carving
Dimensions not to exceed 964 wide body so 11" shorter, 3" less wide and 2" taller) and less rake in the windshield (so not totally optimized for aero - back to a more classic 911 shape
964 Design cues but two seats
Max weight 2990 LBS wet in heaviest configuration
3.6 liter (yes 3.6 not 4.0) from the GT department that spins to 9400 RPM producing 480+ hp but more torque to HP ratio than current 4.0
Manual only (I absolutely love the current PDK but for the car I am spec'ing here - manual only)
Special super minimalist interior
Intake setup from GT4RS
Double wishbone front suspension
Super special new colors

Just my crazy thoughts on something that would make be go totally bonkers.
The following 5 users liked this post by TexasPorschelover:
BrntRubber (05-04-2022), hooperwp (03-12-2023), IrwinMFletcher (05-13-2022), oo7ml (07-11-2023), Orca911 (03-18-2023)
Old 05-03-2022, 11:33 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

^^^That's more or less a Singer DLS.
The following users liked this post:
stetty (03-22-2023)
Old 05-03-2022, 11:59 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tstafford
^^^That's more or less a Singer DLS.
Now that you mention it - it is. Take notes Porsche. I think they could put a 3 on the starting price for that from the factory.

Quick Reply: GT3 Touring or Sport Classic-which would you pick?