911ST

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 02:16 AM
GTS440
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
ering wheel stunning.
Not sure why reviewers were so freaked out by the LWFW, it’s easy to modulate. Never once did I think it was more challenging to manage, but maybe it’s due to time spent on racetrack.
Congrats! Car looks great. More pics please!
What is the clutch pedal feel like? Is the pedal much firmer vs Touring and is the biting point as progressive or sharper, more On/Off?
Old 06-14-2024, 06:11 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 166 Posts

Picked up S/T in Leipzig, made it down to Austria, so 2/3rds break in completed in a little over 24 hours.

Some thoughts: my god what a machine. Of course I bought it so would think that right? But Porsche fixed the things that irked me on my 992 GT3. Gone is darty front end that went anywhere on a whim based upon pavement imperfections. Gone is the overly stiff suspension that beat you up if you dared drive it on anything but perfect pavement or race tracks, this thing just swallows pavement imperfections without upsetting the car. But despite these improvements, they cranked up the mechanical noises and sensations so you end up with a better ride but a more alive experience. Win win for a street car.

And best of all, the steering. It’s so good, best EPAS I have experienced in my opinion, almost feels hydraulic. GT cars steering has become lighter and lighter over the years, while still accurate. ST loads pressure through the steering wheel during turns unlike any other GT products, the sensation of feeling front tires/road through steering wheel stunning.

Not sure why reviewers were so freaked out by the LWFW, it’s easy to modulate. Never once did I think it was more challenging to manage, but maybe it’s due to time spent on racetrack. The extra noise in the car is present, but quieter than i expected.

it’s not as loud as I expected inside the car. My 4RS is much louder, last summer during ED with my 4RS we had to wear ear plugs on the Autobahns, when that car reaches 5k rpms it’s just too loud to handle for more than short bursts. S/T cruising on the Autobahns at 130 mph was not overly loud, and even then it was more tire noise, I didn’t reach for the ear plugs.

wonderful car, absolutely worth the premium over a touring for the changes made, it’s not just the LWFW, In the usual Porche fashion they have massaged and tweaked things to improve so many aspects of the car to make it truly unique. anyone getting this thing is going to be pleasantly surprised.
Congrats! Love it and the spec. Happy to hear you loved it.
The following 3 users liked this post by neoprufrok:
Apolo1 (06-14-2024), TOporschefan (06-14-2024), velascoche (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 08:36 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,332 Posts

And best of all, the steering. It’s so good, best EPAS I have experienced in my opinion, almost feels hydraulic. GT cars steering has become lighter and lighter over the years, while still accurate. ST loads pressure through the steering wheel during turns unlike any other GT products, the sensation of feeling front tires/road through steering wheel stunning.
Awesome initial review! I've now seen multiple people mention how good the steering is, and these have all been people who have owned a 992 GT3. How did they make it that much better? Is it the lack of RWS? The slightly slower rack? Tuning? All of the above?
Old 06-14-2024, 08:56 AM
ferrarifundo
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Any more ST allocations or incoming ones available? appreciate any leads. BTW, aware of champion LOL!

Last edited by ferrarifundo; 06-14-2024 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:00 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
Awesome initial review! I've now seen multiple people mention how good the steering is, and these have all been people who have owned a 992 GT3. How did they make it that much better? Is it the lack of RWS? The slightly slower rack? Tuning? All of the above?
I had a 992 GT3Touring and thought the double-wish-bone front suspension was a phenomenal improvement in turn-in compared to previous GT 911s. I can't wait to see how the S/T is an improvement over that. Any "hunty" or "darty" feelings might be due to camber or toe alignment differences??? I didn't think my Touring was very darty with factory alignment. Came with Cup2s.

Last edited by W8MM; 06-14-2024 at 09:04 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by W8MM:
Diablo Dude (06-15-2024), dixonk (06-14-2024), jfr0317 (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 10:36 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Picked up S/T in Leipzig, made it down to Austria, so 2/3rds break in completed in a little over 24 hours.

That sensation of loading is the one thing about a great hydraulic steering set up that has been missing from EPAS. I'm not surprised Porsche has finally nailed it. I suspect the 992.2 is going to share these improvements. Congrats. Great looking car.
Old 06-14-2024, 10:45 AM
bpeacock
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 342 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by ferrarifundo
Any more ST allocations or incoming ones available? appreciate any leads. BTW, aware of champion LOL!
I may have a few options, will have to see if they're still available. I'm not aware of any left changeable at this point.
(813) 838-8758
Old 06-14-2024, 12:40 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 116 Posts

@disden Congrats on the car! Can't wait to hear more of your impressions.
The following 2 users liked this post by mass27:
Bubba Wibs (06-14-2024), Diablo Dude (06-15-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 08:18 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks for the informative write-up. Since most of our cars are RWS, have you noticed the lack of RWS?
Old 06-14-2024, 09:51 PM
IndyM
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

Some thoughts: my god what a machine. Of course I bought it so would think that right? But Porsche fixed the things that irked me on my 992 GT3. Gone is darty front end that went anywhere on a whim based upon pavement imperfections. Gone is the overly stiff suspension that beat you up if you dared drive it on anything but perfect pavement or race tracks, this thing just swallows pavement imperfections without upsetting the car. But despite these improvements, they cranked up the mechanical noises and sensations so you end up with a better ride but a more alive experience. Win win for a street car.

Not sure why reviewers were so freaked out by the LWFW, it’s easy to modulate. Never once did I think it was more challenging to manage, but maybe it’s due to time spent on racetrack. The extra noise in the car is present, but quieter than i expected.

it’s not as loud as I expected inside the car. My 4RS is much louder, last summer during ED with my 4RS we had to wear ear plugs on the Autobahns, when that car reaches 5k rpms it’s just too loud to handle for more than short bursts. S/T cruising on the Autobahns at 130 mph was not overly loud, and even then it was more tire noise, I didn’t reach for the ear plugs.

wonderful car, absolutely worth the premium over a touring for the changes made, it’s not just the LWFW, In the usual Porche fashion they have massaged and tweaked things to improve so many aspects of the car to make it truly unique. anyone getting this thing is going to be pleasantly surprised.
Congrats, Dan! Looks fantastic. Enjoy the trip!
Old 06-14-2024, 11:30 PM
PorscheLover1963
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Ice Grey?
Old 06-15-2024, 12:01 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Sidebar, the old fashioned door handles are so much better looking IMO.
The following 5 users liked this post by rk-d:
av12345 (06-15-2024), Diablo Dude (06-15-2024), GTS440 (06-15-2024), neoprufrok (06-15-2024), usctrojanGT3 (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 04:10 AM
GTS440
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

Old 06-15-2024, 12:32 PM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 359 Likes on 140 Posts

One fun point about the ST I don’t recall seeing mentioned much, is the shorter gearing. 8 % doesn’t sound a lot but it makes a big difference to the way the car pulls out of low speed corners. Had a great drive round the twisty roads around wales last week with a friend in his ST.
The following 7 users liked this post by Apolo1:
911Vintage (06-17-2024), cosmos (06-15-2024), dave2020 (06-15-2024), GTS440 (06-16-2024), milban (06-16-2024), neoprufrok (06-15-2024), Ukkid74 (06-15-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-15-2024, 03:02 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,114 Likes on 615 Posts

I went with the little tank. I know that the l/km (mpg) will absolutely suck (pun intended) probably about as bad as certain V10 cars. I feel naughty with the small tank, but absolutely looking forward to it. #tinytankclub

Anyone else at all (besides the right hand drive people who have no choice but the small tank) purposely or accidentally choose the little fuel tank or am I just mad/crazy?

The following users liked this post:
dave2020 (06-15-2024)

Quick Reply: 911ST