Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone own a centerlock Torque Wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 09:22 PM
CPS992
Racer

Received 363 Likes on 152 Posts

I have the Hytorq Gun - it's pretty freakin' cool, if not stupid expensive.
The following users liked this post:
raymort (02-12-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 11:23 AM
zairegp
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
If you are referring to what I was suggesting, it's not this. What I was describing is taking the racing floor jack lever (basically a very long pipe that everyone has anyway because you need a jack to lift the car) and attaching it to the end of the split-beam torque wrench instead of the torque-sensing handle by just sliding it over. This basically turns the torque wrench into a giant 6-7ft long ratchet with no torque-sensing parts to damage, which is a great breaker bar (no, it will not break the ratchet head at least on the Precision Instruments wrench - that ratchet head can handle it without an issue). I still can lift more than 400lbs, so I do not need to do that, but I've seen many people do it while changing their own wheels at track days.
No, not at all - I was just asking why this wouldn't be referable to hanging off of a 5ft breaker bar in order to loosen the lugs: Just have the breaker bar attached to the lug set to "up loosens the lug" and use the floor jack to apply pressure. That way you wouldn't need a long bar at all. Jack can apply 3 tons of pressure - obviously you would never exert that on the lug as it would loosen long before that... But maybe this is a terrible idea.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:01 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,138 Posts

Originally Posted by zairegp
No, not at all - I was just asking why this wouldn't be referable to hanging off of a 5ft breaker bar in order to loosen the lugs: Just have the breaker bar attached to the lug set to "up loosens the lug" and use the floor jack to apply pressure. That way you wouldn't need a long bar at all. Jack can apply 3 tons of pressure - obviously you would never exert that on the lug as it would loosen long before that... But maybe this is a terrible idea.
1. Can an impact wrench be used to break the CL?2. Can we figure out a way to all chip in for the HYtorque and send it to whoever needs it after?
Old 02-12-2023, 07:04 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,044 Likes on 2,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogunade
1. Can an impact wrench be used to break the CL?2. Can we figure out a way to all chip in for the HYtorque and send it to whoever needs it after?
No, an impact wrench is prohibited and would destroy the locking bolt.

You can use them on a Cup car, since there is no locking mechanism. However, those racing CL nuts get pretty quickly destroyed on Cups and are frequently replaced.

Last edited by GrantG; 02-12-2023 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 04:42 AM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Received 404 Likes on 165 Posts

I don't know if you bought the stuff yet. But I can tell you that I have heard personally from the owner of Smart auto (they have Audi in our area) that when his Porsche dealership closed he retained 2 of his Porsche techs and they still work for him. Technically he says for tires and easy stuff they could do the work. Could be worth a try.

​​​​​
Old 02-19-2023, 02:58 AM
Vignesdd
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 17 Posts

same here as my dealer is 4 hours away. My local Interest tires shop had his best tech thing care of it and no need to go to the dealership!
Old 02-19-2023, 10:35 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
No, an impact wrench is prohibited and would destroy the locking bolt.

You can use them on a Cup car, since there is no locking mechanism. However, those racing CL nuts get pretty quickly destroyed on Cups and are frequently replaced.
I think the hub is aluminum and aluminium cracks from impact. My Cayenne manual says not to use an impact wrench when changing wheels as well, and it has no CLs.
The following users liked this post:
cwbrown (02-20-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 05:01 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

Here's a picture of a friend of mine with the alternative to using the Renntorq he's 5'6'"

The following 3 users liked this post by 4carl:
EXFIB (02-23-2023), GrantG (02-23-2023), shrimp money (02-24-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 10:53 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I own 4. RennTorq, Snap On for Cup, 2 Precision
Old 02-23-2023, 11:50 PM
4carl
Race Car

I have a Renntorq,Precision,Extra socket,wheel guide and additional 48" breaker bar that isnt long enough if the nut is really tight
What a joke i spent over 3K to be able to remove the wheels.
I love when people say that there no more hassle than a 5 bolt.
The cost to remove the 5 bolt wheels $0
Center lock wheels on a street car are worthless.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:16 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,198 Likes on 2,073 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
I have a Renntorq,Precision,Extra socket,wheel guide and additional 48" breaker bar that isnt long enough if the nut is really tight
What a joke i spent over 3K to be able to remove the wheels.
I love when people say that there no more hassle than a 5 bolt.
The cost to remove the 5 bolt wheels $0
Center lock wheels on a street car are worthless.
After being in it for $3k, would you say just drop the $5k and get a Hytorq gun?
Old 02-24-2023, 12:35 AM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by shrimp money
After being in it for $3k, would you say just drop the $5k and get a Hytorq gun?
Not for me, number one is i think the Hytorg looks like a great tool but i dont like to have to count on something that complex, something said for simplicity .
I would love to have one for my garage but wouldn't want to count on it for an emergency , low battery?blown circuit board?
Its probably a long shot of a malfunction but why take the chance ,lets not forget its twice the price of the Renntorq 5K vs 2.2K.
The Renntorq is all manual which i prefer in an emergency.
Bottom line is no matter how you take them off their a pain in the ***!
The following 2 users liked this post by 4carl:
rodneyr (02-24-2023), shrimp money (02-24-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 02:43 PM
gt2rs_obsessedj
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a stupid question. On my 5-lug wheels, I use the breaker bar while the car still on the ground to get the lugs slightly loose before I jack up the car. Same for torquing them down, I tighten them pretty good, then lower the car before I torque down. I am assuming that's not a good idea with centerlocks but can someone perhaps explain why? Is it because the weight of the car will misalign the wheel? It's my first time dealing with centerlocks.

Old 06-06-2023, 03:57 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,044 Likes on 2,847 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2rs_obsessedj
Here's a stupid question. On my 5-lug wheels, I use the breaker bar while the car still on the ground to get the lugs slightly loose before I jack up the car. Same for torquing them down, I tighten them pretty good, then lower the car before I torque down. I am assuming that's not a good idea with centerlocks but can someone perhaps explain why? Is it because the weight of the car will misalign the wheel? It's my first time dealing with centerlocks.
Manual says all torquing and loosening has to be done without any load (though I’ve seen some break this rule).

I only do it with car off the ground (requires a second person to press brakes and hold steering wheel, unless you have fancier tools).

Rationale is that you will apply uneven forces to the mating surfaces with car on ground.

Last edited by GrantG; 06-06-2023 at 03:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GrantG:
subshooter (06-06-2023), trez63 (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 04:35 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2rs_obsessedj
Because you are loading the bearing directly behind the centerlock nut and no side load should influence the final torque number. That's why it's critical to follow the manufacturer procedure...although I wouldn't worry as much when loosening.
Bear in mind that manufacturers recommend torquing wheels to the proper spec even when dealing with 5 lugs,although in that case it's not as critical because the load on the bearing is distributed differently.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Does anyone own a centerlock Torque Wrench?