Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone own a centerlock Torque Wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 12:31 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,044 Likes on 2,847 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Thanks again. Love supporting a Rennlisters. Who is the Rennlister that made the wheel alignment tool over in the 991 GT3 Forum?
Same person - he does great work
The following users liked this post:
bakshi (02-25-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 02:00 PM
casey151
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Unfortunately, the best and best price aren't very well aligned in this case

There are lots of options. I went with the Precision Instruments and it has worked well for me that includes a pretty robust wrench and breaker combo (I went with extension on the breaker).
Precision Instruments C4D600F36H 3/4 DRIVE TORQUE WRENCH WITH RATCHETING BREAKER BAR COMBINAT | Tool Discounter

Adaptor to lenghten breaker:
Precision Instruments® A10C4D600F - 3/4" Drive Torque Bar Adapter - TOOLSiD.com

Best torque wrench and expensive is the Stahlwille and you can use for breaker bar too (puts no load on the measuring part when loosening):

Part #50181100 for huge wrench and #58250100 for ratcheting 3/4" insert tool (total cost close to $2k)
This place in Italy has relatively good prices and fast shipping: https://www.misterworker.com/en

Renntorq makes a nice compact solution for lots of money
RENNtorq center lock tool V2 | Renntorq, llc (square.site)

and there is an electric solution for much more than that:
HYTORC Centerlock Torque Gun | Obsessed Garage

Both of the above require that you maintain the centerbolts well, or you'll also need a huge 3/4" breaker bar to loosen occasionally.

Here's the full Stahlwille catalog (torque tools from page 187):
STAHLWILLE Catalogue 2020/2021

Thanks for all of the great info. I just upgraded from an M3 to a 991.1 GT3 and was initially really intimidated about the center locks but after reading a bunch of threads I it seems to be very doable with the right tools.
Old 02-25-2022, 05:58 PM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Cross posting a question here that I posted here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...10c4d600f.html
Q: I've only done this once but how do I use the Precisions Instruments tool without the RennTorq to torque the front wheels without someone holding the steering wheel? Moreover, why is it that using the RennTorq doesn't require a 2nd person? That just seems weird to me. We're supposed to torque with wheels in the air.
Q2: As noted above about torquing in the air, I'm going to make the assumption that it is ok to break the wheels on the ground. The issue (I think) is more uneven torq but not an issue for breaking. Am I wrong? If so, why?

I thought my mechanic was doing both in the air per spec and he just informed that he always does on the ground. That kind of sucks. I think he's justifying it by saying its not needed despite what Porsche says. I'm not too keen on that logic.
Old 02-25-2022, 06:24 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by srwhitman
Cross posting a question here that I posted here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...10c4d600f.html
Q: I've only done this once but how do I use the Precisions Instruments tool without the RennTorq to torque the front wheels without someone holding the steering wheel? Moreover, why is it that using the RennTorq doesn't require a 2nd person? That just seems weird to me. We're supposed to torque with wheels in the air.
Q2: As noted above about torquing in the air, I'm going to make the assumption that it is ok to break the wheels on the ground. The issue (I think) is more uneven torq but not an issue for breaking. Am I wrong? If so, why?

I thought my mechanic was doing both in the air per spec and he just informed that he always does on the ground. That kind of sucks. I think he's justifying it by saying its not needed despite what Porsche says. I'm not too keen on that logic.
You use a clamp in reverse to apply pressure against the brake pedal and the seat to keep the wheels from spinning.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:43 PM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

That only works to keep the wheels spinning in that one direction. I am aware of that solution. But that doesn't do anything in yaw (holding the steering wheel).
Old 02-25-2022, 09:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,044 Likes on 2,847 Posts

That only works to keep the wheels spinning in that one direction. I am aware of that solution. But that doesn't do anything in yaw (holding the steering wheel).
I always wait for someone to help with brake and steering wheel - I know it’s possible to do it without smacking the fender (without a Renntorq or Hytorq), but haven’t felt like trying yet…
Old 02-25-2022, 11:36 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

At particular angles (roughly horizontal) I find there is no net torque on the wheels in that direction and I’m able to torque it fine without the wheel being held if I’m careful.

But I’d imagine the same solutions used for holding the wheel during alignment could help, like this:

8MILELAKE Steering Wheel Holder Stand Tool 14.5inches/368mm Wheel Alignment Tool 8MILELAKE Steering Wheel Holder Stand Tool 14.5inches/368mm Wheel Alignment Tool

Last edited by Mech33; 02-25-2022 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:00 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,197 Likes on 1,481 Posts

From a practical standpoint, Center Locks require a 3/4" Torque Wrench to tighten and are nearly impossible to remove the wheel nut unless you have a helper in the driver's seat hard on the brake pedal. If you try to remove yourself with no one on the brakes the car rocks or you wind up literally turning just the wheel when you lay into that breaker bar.

On the plus side of that, no crook will ever steal your wheels....
rekka (01-19-2024)
Old 01-02-2023, 10:46 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by jayely1
My dealer is just over 1.5 hours away, so when I need to change tires it seems like it will be pretty inconvenient to make that drive. Just curious how many of you have the very expensive torque wrench to do the job?
Also, I wonder if it's worth taking a chance with a shop getting the tires off without scratching the wheels.
I bought the renntorque @ $2300+ the precision set @$400.
I carry the renntorque but needed the precision set up to break them louse when they were new .
I had to buy the extension so I needed a 63" breaker bar (stock length wouldn't do it ) and all on my weight @150= 750 ft lb to break them louse.

Last edited by 4carl; 01-02-2023 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2023, 11:36 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
I bought ... the precision set @$400.
How many years ago was that?
Old 01-02-2023, 11:49 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
How many years ago was that?
I thought it was 400 but i really can't remember could have been more?
I do know that Ive spent $3000 tools and guide to remove and service the wheels and center locks..

Last edited by 4carl; 01-03-2023 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-03-2023, 12:29 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
From a practical standpoint, Center Locks require a 3/4" Torque Wrench to tighten and are nearly impossible to remove the wheel nut unless you have a helper in the driver's seat hard on the brake pedal. If you try to remove yourself with no one on the brakes the car rocks or you wind up literally turning just the wheel when you lay into that breaker bar.

On the plus side of that, no crook will ever steal your wheels....
Not really. It's rather easy to torque and un-torque the wheels without the steering wheel moving, just have to do it once, and after that, it becomes an automatic motion. The brake pedal can be held with a truck brake suppressor or even with the case of the torque wrench stuffed between the edge of the seat and the pedal. And to blow people's minds - the handle of many racing floor jacks works perfectly as a handle to turn a split-beam torque wrench into a breaker bar; and you can jack up the car once per side because the rear jacking point lifts both front and rear wheels - just set the parking brake, and the car will not roll off the jack. I did dozens of wheel changes alone - never did any damage, and the last swap to winters took under 30 minutes with re-lubing, pressure adjustment and clean-up because the new (992) CLs do not require double-torquing or disassembly unless there are special reasons.
eclou (02-12-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 04:02 PM
zairegp
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Any reason why you wouldn't... pauses for a second so as not to feel like a complete fool... not kill yourself trying to break loose the lug by using a floor jack on the business end of the wrench?
Old 01-03-2023, 04:23 PM
zairegp
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zairegp
Any reason why you wouldn't... pauses for a second so as not to feel like a complete fool... not kill yourself trying to break loose the lug by using a floor jack on the business end of the wrench?
In other words, the breaker bar is attached to the lug and the handle pushed upwards (to loosen the lug) using the floor jack...
Old 01-03-2023, 07:22 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by zairegp
In other words, the breaker bar is attached to the lug and the handle pushed upwards (to loosen the lug) using the floor jack...
If you are referring to what I was suggesting, it's not this. What I was describing is taking the racing floor jack lever (basically a very long pipe that everyone has anyway because you need a jack to lift the car) and attaching it to the end of the split-beam torque wrench instead of the torque-sensing handle by just sliding it over. This basically turns the torque wrench into a giant 6-7ft long ratchet with no torque-sensing parts to damage, which is a great breaker bar (no, it will not break the ratchet head at least on the Precision Instruments wrench - that ratchet head can handle it without an issue). I still can lift more than 400lbs, so I do not need to do that, but I've seen many people do it while changing their own wheels at track days.

Last edited by MaxLTV; 01-03-2023 at 07:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Does anyone own a centerlock Torque Wrench?