Sponsored by:

Quality Concerns with the new GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 04:10 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,566 Likes on 867 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Years back I had a BMW dealer try to find a noise on my car and they used something called a magic ear device, placing sensors on/in the car and pinpointed it very quickly.

Also, always a good idea to keep the seat covers that came on your car for transport. I put them on anytime the car goes to the dealer.
One of the dealers that serviced my RS would not put a seat cover on my LWBs saying they were reserving the seat covers for cars that need to be road tested (my car simply had to be driven around the service area, but still it had to be driven by the valets and the technicians to parking lot and to service bay). They were running short on the seat covers (Although I saw an entire new roll of the seat cover thing in front of my eyes that probably had hundreds of covers in it).
Old 11-30-2021, 05:38 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 129 Posts

Rattles seem par for the course on a track focused car. My 991.2 GT3 had door rattles from day 1. Especially if a bassy song was playing. Even my cushy 991.1 4S had rattles. I don’t like to have the dealership go chasing rattles because I don’t know if they might create new ones in the disassembly/reassembly process.

So far in my 2 weeks of ownership the new one seems far better put together than the 991 and 991.2 cars. No rattles to speak of. Haven’t experienced any issues with the windows.

PCCB’s seem great too. No dust yet but I’m still in break in phase. My car was built in September and left the factory in early October.

Last edited by Johnny5Alive; 11-30-2021 at 05:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wormman (12-01-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 05:57 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

My car was built the first week of July.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:13 PM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Received 404 Likes on 165 Posts

Mine has a specific vibration sound at mid RPM somewhere on the passenger side... Usually when I'm first revving the car a bit going slow... I don't hear it much after the first few minutes in the car.

Cup holders are fine for me.

I do hear what I'm hoping is the throttle bodies fluttering or a valve or something at the low rpm range right before the valves open. I'm assuming this is normal, as when I go above 3k rpm it's gone. My first GT3 so I'm assuming it's normal...

I Hate how rocks get stuck in the panel gaps up front. The side front blinker/reflector panel area and the panel gap between the rocker and door - specifically up where it opens into the wheel well.

Also I have no idea how to clean/inspect the front radiator, I guess I'll have to remove the front grill thing to get to it. There's bugs and stuff I want to get at and make sure the rad isn't all bent.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:19 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Years back I had a BMW dealer try to find a noise on my car and they used something called a magic ear device, placing sensors on/in the car and pinpointed it very quickly.

Also, always a good idea to keep the seat covers that came on your car for transport. I put them on anytime the car goes to the dealer.
Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
One of the dealers that serviced my RS would not put a seat cover on my LWBs saying they were reserving the seat covers for cars that need to be road tested (my car simply had to be driven around the service area, but still it had to be driven by the valets and the technicians to parking lot and to service bay). They were running short on the seat covers (Although I saw an entire new roll of the seat cover thing in front of my eyes that probably had hundreds of covers in it).
Everyone with a car of this quality should own a seat cover. You can buy one on Amazon for $30. I also have a crappy steering wheel cover as well, $25. I always throw both on any car I am having serviced. Why not?

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon
3-Pedals (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 06:36 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS
Everyone with a car of this quality should own a seat cover. You can buy one on Amazon for $30. I also have a crappy steering wheel cover as well, $25. I always throw both on any car I am having serviced. Why not?

https://www.amazon.com/Gorla-Premium...EAT_COVER&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/GOHI-YANDA-Su...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
This is a good idea. I will buy them.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:38 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 129 Posts

Those covers are a good idea. For those reading that are new to the carbon bucket seats, I’ve always used the crazy Eddie/Ed guard bolster covers/protectors. They slip right on and look OEM and keep the bolsters from getting worn.
cox1974 (12-01-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 06:40 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
Those covers are a good idea. For those reading that are new to the carbon bucket seats, I’ve always used the crazy Eddie/Ed guard bolster covers/protectors. They slip right on and look OEM and keep the bolsters from getting worn.
Those are must-haves as well. Those + a seat cover and you're pretty well protected for services
Old 11-30-2021, 06:49 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 943 Likes on 540 Posts

in my experience, all companies have minor and sometimes major hiccups, and the way the company and their dealer network deal with these issues is the most important factor IMO.
It still sucks if you are on the receiving end of a problem, and I hope Porsche is not having a major hiccup.

jfr0317 (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 07:08 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

AP is probably reading these posts already and will move some levers.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:10 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,004 Likes on 4,863 Posts

Also, just keep in mind, that people who have had no issues with their cars are not going to post.

Only those with issues will post.

So we have a classic case of response bias.

Just some context is all, not excusing the issues we are seeing.

Just that QC may not be a systemic or endemic issue with the 992 GT3.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
FourT6and2 (12-05-2021), TheStanman (11-30-2021), wormman (12-01-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 07:27 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Also, just keep in mind, that people who have had no issues with their cars are not going to post.

Only those with issues will post.

So we have a classic case of response bias.

Just some context is all, not excusing the issues we are seeing.

Just that QC may not be a systemic or endemic issue with the 992 GT3.
I dont think any of these issues experienced here are QC issues. They could not have not been caught on that 5 mile fake test drive cars do running on dyno like thread mills in the factory. These are side effects of design choices. You could argue, engineering choices. They had to be made. They are a compromise. Car got bigger, heavier. Noise regulations more strict. To make the car meet their performance AND purist targets, they had to use lighter materials, stiffer components. It is completely normal I am afraid and I doubt anything (besides a recall on the windows) will come out of it. And with the windows, if they have to go back to the regular windows then that might be not easy. If this was a supplier problem, thats great. Everyone gets new fixed windows. But if this werent a supplier issue and rather a miscalculation of engineering folks, then car might have to be crash tested again. Its weight updated, etc.

All other issues require redesign of components. Not going to happen. Its the end of the line folks. Car is what it is. Be happy it even exists
Old 11-30-2021, 07:32 PM
sparkhill
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
My Ed Guards just arrived and are installed. Ed is just so awesome to work with and the product is very high quality.

Last edited by sparkhill; 11-30-2021 at 07:34 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by sparkhill:
Alan C. (12-01-2021), jfr0317 (11-30-2021), jimjoe997 (01-01-2022), Type901 (11-30-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 12:28 AM
HPTX
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I dont think any of these issues experienced here are QC issues. They could not have not been caught on that 5 mile fake test drive cars do running on dyno like thread mills in the factory. These are side effects of design choices. You could argue, engineering choices. They had to be made. They are a compromise. Car got bigger, heavier. Noise regulations more strict. To make the car meet their performance AND purist targets, they had to use lighter materials, stiffer components. It is completely normal I am afraid and I doubt anything (besides a recall on the windows) will come out of it. And with the windows, if they have to go back to the regular windows then that might be not easy. If this was a supplier problem, thats great. Everyone gets new fixed windows. But if this werent a supplier issue and rather a miscalculation of engineering folks, then car might have to be crash tested again. Its weight updated, etc.

All other issues require redesign of components. Not going to happen. Its the end of the line folks. Car is what it is. Be happy it even exists
Almost a post out of the '70s/early '80s....w/55MPH speed lims; end of perf cars; end of oil from Saudi, blah-blah....
Not sure what is poor QC vs poor engineering: but fairly irrelevant to the end-consumer
Same smart end-consumer realizes <5% of luxury sellers of anything (planes/houses/girls/cars/food/watches, etc etc) are competent; and consolidates his buying/renting vs those competent/honorable counterparties, so when bad stuff (inevitably) happens, counterparties compensate appropriately to maintain the profit stream
And smarter consumers appropriately view any car (or any good) as a disposable/consumable to be replaced in ~1y, maybe every 10-20yrs in case of best bespoke-built houses on great dirt....yet can easily lease new condo units/spec houses for a few yrs in LA/Miami, almost like new cars, just moving on every few yrs to latest/greatest new tower/spec house
And given today's pricing on used stuff, use costs for such dynamic consumers is lowest ever
Damn good world we're in today
Old 12-01-2021, 03:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,495 Likes on 2,275 Posts

I had p car from 70's to current model
every variant has some well... big problems
they all work out at the end.
don't worry
just floor it, you will be fine
The following 2 users liked this post by mooty: