Quality Concerns with the new GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 11:11 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,860 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
Cupholders are important!

I am not trying to be chicken little here however as one of the first cars here, I think it’s helpful to report back how things are going. It helps to set expectations for all the others that there may be a few issues to deal with. The side glass will be a recall, I can almost guarantee it.

In 6 weeks of ownership it’s a little surprising given I have had one thermostat go out in close to 100k miles in all my other GT cars combined.

At this point I’d still buy it knowing what I know but given the divergence from my experience until now, it’s only natural to be concerned.
No, I wasn’t responding to your post mentioning these issues. I was responding to the person who said they were thinking of giving up their allocation based on this thread.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:18 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 713 Likes on 324 Posts

Helpful realistic thread however. Wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze. #6 on the list at my dealer and think they need to fill two more before I get the call. I'm very pleased w/ my 991.2 so I'm subscribing to this thread.
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 11:26 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
No, I wasn’t responding to your post mentioning these issues. I was responding to the person who said they were thinking of giving up their allocation based on this thread.

Ah. Gotcha. I was quick to point out that at this point I’d still buy one!
Old 11-30-2021, 11:34 AM
JoeGT3
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
Just remembered I developed a rather loud rattle last weekend at Road Atlanta. Discovered it was the rear wing. It visibly shakes quite violently now and makes loud noise…but it’s more of a loud buzzing noise
have to check again, but mine comes from the top right of the dash (i would say), i can hear it at low speeds pretty clear
Old 11-30-2021, 11:41 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 984 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeGT3
have to check again, but mine comes from the top right of the dash (i would say), i can hear it at low speeds pretty clear
mine is very obvious rear. turned on car to warm it up and noticed a buzzing from rear. Thought might be cage, have had those loosen in the past. The more I dug around found the rear wing was loose or at least wobbly. If I simply give it a push it vibrates and recreated that noise
Old 11-30-2021, 12:03 PM
wormman
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

My car was manufactured in July and I've had it for more than 2 months and now 2,000 miles and have to say it has been flawless! I traded in a 991.2 gt3rs and couldn't be happier. I don't miss the rs at all. The 992 gt3 is much better put together than the previous generation imo
TheStanman (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 12:10 PM
George P.
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 118 Posts

I would be curious as to build dates/month for the people finding all these quality control issues.
michaeldorian (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 12:21 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 984 Likes on 434 Posts

My build was first week of July
Old 11-30-2021, 02:03 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,566 Likes on 867 Posts

As a person who has chased interior noises for so long, my utmost ask from you guys is:

- Do NOT take the car to the dealer unless the fix is going to be very easy and obvious (i.e. shifter **** rattling and it simply needs to be screwed loose and new one put on).
- I would absolutely not take a car to a dealer ever for a noise where you cant even tell where its coming from. If they have to road test your car multiple times, keep in mind that every single time some tech sits on your $18,000 bucket seats there is a risk of oil stains, scrapes, scuff marks, etc. They simply do not have the time and patience to be as careful as you are.
- The interior rattles are almost guaranteed to happen in these cars. You have to come to terms with this fact that these are very stiff riding cars. For this car to be able to handle 1000 lbs of downforce pushing it down, the suspension has to be very rigid. Period. Understand this and have realistic expectations. When people said "new GT3 is RS", they werent kidding. Its basic Physics. You want to take the turns like RS does and post 6:55 lap time, this is what it takes. This is no longer a smaller, nimbler, better M3. Its a road legal race car with number plates.
- Any other issue regarding the interior, I would leave it alone and live with it. Been there done that. Sometimes they fix it but in the quest of fixing it, they break something else OR leave a "mark" that now you have to stare and tell yourself "I should have left this alone"

The passenger window replacement, or any window replacement isnt as easy as it sounds. The door trim panel has to be removed and there is simply no way to do this without again leaving marks here and there. I would inspect the work very carefully and ask for replacement if they do damage leather/race text/etc. The lithium grease they use to lube door parts are very nasty if they get on race tex or leather, especially on the center bucket seat piece (the cushion you sit on).

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 11-30-2021 at 02:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3-Pedals:
Gt3.992 (12-01-2021), Mercuriell (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 02:17 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Sorry Sean to hear of your experience. Although they 992 has been out since 2019 I am sure all of these improvements and envelope pushing done to the GT3 mean some growing pains on early builds.

I feel lucky my first gen 2013 991 has been as solid as it has, though it's not immune to rattles here and there (SPASM car).

I am glad you're providing feedback - hopefully Porsche is already working on the fixes!!
Old 11-30-2021, 02:27 PM
GTDrivershop
Former Vendor

Received 117 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
As a person who has chased interior noises for so long, my utmost ask from you guys is:

- Do NOT take the car to the dealer unless the fix is going to be very easy and obvious (i.e. shifter **** rattling and it simply needs to be screwed loose and new one put on).
- I would absolutely not take a car to a dealer ever for a noise where you cant even tell where its coming from. If they have to road test your car multiple times, keep in mind that every single time some tech sits on your $18,000 bucket seats there is a risk of oil stains, scrapes, scuff marks, etc. They simply do not have the time and patience to be as careful as you are.
- The interior rattles are almost guaranteed to happen in these cars. You have to come to terms with this fact that these are very stiff riding cars. For this car to be able to handle 1000 lbs of downforce pushing it down, the suspension has to be very rigid. Period. Understand this and have realistic expectations. When people said "new GT3 is RS", they werent kidding. Its basic Physics. You want to take the turns like RS does and post 6:55 lap time, this is what it takes. This is no longer a smaller, nimbler, better M3. Its a road legal race car with number plates.
- Any other issue regarding the interior, I would leave it alone and live with it. Been there done that. Sometimes they fix it but in the quest of fixing it, they break something else OR leave a "mark" that now you have to stare and tell yourself "I should have left this alone"

The passenger window replacement, or any window replacement isnt as easy as it sounds. The door trim panel has to be removed and there is simply no way to do this without again leaving marks here and there. I would inspect the work very carefully and ask for replacement if they do damage leather/race text/etc. The lithium grease they use to lube door parts are very nasty if they get on race tex or leather, especially on the center bucket seat piece (the cushion you sit on).
"$18,000 bucket seats" ??? - Yeeesh... if thats what you paid, you got done mate!

"
Do NOT take the car to the dealer" - because some mechanic will mess up the car? - Don't know what type of dealership you use. Maybe consider changing. My dealer has been incredibly professional as have their mechanics.

Sorry, had to reply to some generalizations which others may take as gospel and coming across from someone who "really knows".

Last edited by GTDrivershop; 11-30-2021 at 02:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GTDrivershop:
lockie (12-01-2021), r0b (12-01-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 02:37 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTDrivershop
"$18,000 bucket seats" ??? - Yeeesh... if thats what you paid, you got done mate!

"
Do NOT take the car to the dealer" - because some mechanic will mess up the car? - Don't know what type of dealership you use. Maybe consider changing. My dealer has been incredibly professional as have their mechanics.

Sorry, had to reply to some generalizations which others may take as gospel and coming across from someone who "really knows".
The seats cost $9,500 per to replace….

I live in a heavily populated metropolitan area with lots and I mean lots of wealthy people who dont give a damn about their expensive cars. As a result, dealer staff are ignorant and suck. I have gone through 3 service departments for Porsche and they were pretty much the same.

If you live in one of those smaller porsche dealer areas where they truly care about the quality of the work they do then you are lucky.

BUT even if they are careful, some of these interior panels never come off the way you expect. You can be as gentle and as careful as you want but your trim tools even your fingers can depress the leather/padding and leave permanent marks. The more you mess with it, the more risk. If such mark shows up on your leather dash, what will you do? Go after the dealer and raise a stink? Even if successful now you have pissed them off and waiting for a new dash to show (months of wait) and guess what. Now your $18,000 seats have to come out of the car, steering wheel, etc. And you think nothing will go wrong? You are wrong. No way to put the interior together the way factory does.

Which is why I said - leaving it alone may be the best course of action. It is too much headache. Just enjoy the car and maybe slightly turn up the music volume so it balances out the rattles.
r0b (12-01-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 02:53 PM
GTDrivershop
Former Vendor

Received 117 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
The seats cost $9,500 per to replace….

I live in a heavily populated metropolitan area with lots and I mean lots of wealthy people who dont give a damn about their expensive cars. As a result, dealer staff are ignorant and suck. I have gone through 3 service departments for Porsche and they were pretty much the same.

If you live in one of those smaller porsche dealer areas where they truly care about the quality of the work they do then you are lucky.

BUT even if they are careful, some of these interior panels never come off the way you expect. You can be as gentle and as careful as you want but your trim tools even your fingers can depress the leather/padding and leave permanent marks. The more you mess with it, the more risk. If such mark shows up on your leather dash, what will you do? Go after the dealer and raise a stink? Even if successful now you have pissed them off and waiting for a new dash to show (months of wait) and guess what. Now your $18,000 seats have to come out of the car, steering wheel, etc. And you think nothing will go wrong? You are wrong. No way to put the interior together the way factory does.

Which is why I said - leaving it alone may be the best course of action. It is too much headache. Just enjoy the car and maybe slightly turn up the music volume so it balances out the rattles.
3-Pedals, I understand and appreciate you sharing your experience and therefore your concerns.
I use Hennessy in Atlanta and have had A1 professional service from their staff and have never ruined my car. My point is each dealer is different and generalizations about them and their staff can be misinterpreted and render dealerships that are good with labels that are incorrect. Hence my post.
jfr0317 (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 02:58 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTDrivershop
3-Pedals, I understand and appreciate you sharing your experience and therefore your concerns.
I use Hennessy in Atlanta and have had A1 professional service from their staff and have never ruined my car. My point is each dealer is different and generalizations about them and their staff can be misinterpreted and render dealerships that are good with labels that are incorrect. Hence my post.
I understand but as I stated in my last post, even with the utmost care things can go wrong in all leather/race-text interiors. Unlike the rear bumper, these interior components arent meant to be removed and put back many times. I still think you should leave things alone unless the issue can be easily addressed (like the cupholder replacement or the shifter **** replacement). If some noise is coming from the top right corner of the dash under the airbag, I would leave that one alone.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,860 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Years back I had a BMW dealer try to find a noise on my car and they used something called a magic ear device, placing sensors on/in the car and pinpointed it very quickly.

Also, always a good idea to keep the seat covers that came on your car for transport. I put them on anytime the car goes to the dealer.
PTS (11-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Quality Concerns with the new GT3