Sponsored by:

Manual Transmission Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 11:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,776 Likes on 2,723 Posts

It is a bit easier to stall the 992, but it only requires very few extra revs to avoid it.
The following 2 users liked this post by GrantG:
Daft Chief (11-06-2021), jfr0317 (10-28-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 01:03 PM
n d
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 106 Posts

I chose manual I have zero regrets my personal opinion the gt3 has the perfect gearbox …..
Old 10-30-2021, 02:38 AM
michaeldorian
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by bergx7
I have heard (and read) that the light clutch, massive grip levels and busy steering makes the car less suited to manual than ever before. Would love more feedback from folks as I make the decision on my 992. I love the idea of optioning a manual while we still can, just not sure it does the chassis justice if you really want to "push" the car. If you want engagement at all speeds and ability to enjoy it more around town, I think it makes perfect sense.

Then again I have a few antiques laying around the garage with characterful manual gearboxes so I may just be looking for something "easy" to slot in with the others.
The real question is who among touring crowd will spec PDK? I'm sure Mooty will and then it will become acceptable
Same thoughts went through my head and I ended up with similar conclusions. Drove both transmissions in the 991.2 form for a decent time as friends has them.

Personally felt the PDK was a better match for the car overall.

There is fun work and too much work. The manual just edged towards too much work too much of the time when trying to get the best out of the car.

The PDK just felt like everything was designed together in unison.

But if you got to row. You got to row. I gratefully have other rowing cars to drive that I feel
are a better match with that.

YMMV.
The following 2 users liked this post by michaeldorian:
bergx7 (10-31-2021), jfr0317 (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 02:40 AM
michaeldorian
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Interesting thoughts here. Think I'm fixed on manual as I want more engagement with the car for street use which will be primary function for this car. Flaws, challenges and all. Hope it's part of the fun.

PDK in my 991.2 was not fun after the first 30 minutes on the street.
If you felt it was boring having owned one, definitely manual! Don’t question yourself for sure.

Side benefit - This is RL and we have to talk about value. Manual will more desirable. 😉
The following 2 users liked this post by michaeldorian:
Daft Chief (11-06-2021), jfr0317 (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 12:37 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by michaeldorian
If you felt it was boring having owned one, definitely manual! Don’t question yourself for sure.

Side benefit - This is RL and we have to talk about value. Manual will more desirable. 😉
When the first generation of trackable BEVs with massive power, no gears, next-level lap times and human assists, hits the scene in a few years, the feelings towards gearboxes is going to change. I think it will be true that certain ICE cars will be in very high demand, possibly the GT3. With gearboxes, I think PDK is going to remind people how pointless and old school gearboxes are. Just like PDK, having no gears means no involvement - so wow, this whole continuous and seamless wave of power is so much better when not interrupted by this switching gear thing. However, a lot of people will relish the days of being involved in changing gears on their own with a manual - it will be a symbol of everything lost and loved about ICE. It will be worse than manuals commanding a premium, PDKs will be avoided like the slushboxes of yore. It won't happen fast, but the folks who like PDK now because it's easier and "faster", and lets them focus on driving, are really going to take to BEV track cars that are immensely faster and employ really clever control systems that continue to make driving faster easier. They will jump into the BEV camp and no one will be left wanting PDKs.

Just you watch....

Last edited by ShakeNBake; 10-30-2021 at 12:42 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ShakeNBake:
BritinSF (12-26-2021), DCGT3 (10-31-2021), Fixinbones (10-30-2021), seis-speed (01-03-2022)
Old 10-30-2021, 12:44 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,776 Likes on 2,723 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
When the first generation of trackable BEVs with massive power, no gears, next-level lap times and human assists, hits the scene in a few years, the feelings towards gearboxes is going to change. I think it will be true that certain ICE cars will be in very high demand, possibly the GT3. With gearboxes, I think PDK is going to remind people how pointless and old school gearboxes are. Just like PDK, having no gears means no involvement - so wow, this whole continuous and seamless wave of power is so much better when not interrupted by this switching gear thing. However, a lot of people will relish the days of being involved in changing gears on their own with a manual - it will be a symbol of everything lost and loved about ICE. It will be worse than manuals commanding a premium, PDKs will be avoided like the slushboxes of yore. It won't happen fast, but the folks who like PDK now because it's easier and "faster", and lets them focus on driving, are really going to take to BEV track cars that are immensely faster and employ really clever control systems that continue to make driving faster easier. They will jump into the BEV camp and no one will be left wanting PDKs.

Just you watch....
That is an interesting perspective and quite possible.
Old 10-30-2021, 12:47 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I spent 2 days with an MLM marketing consultant this week, and as an engineer it has blown my mind a bit - so I'm all over the place right now.
Old 10-30-2021, 01:09 PM
Il CP
Pro

Received 505 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by michaeldorian

It may be more desirable to some, but currently it's also the more readily available. The PDK is currently going to be the "rare" version as over 70% of GT3/Tourings sold are manuals.
Outside from the enthusiasts who are early birds on the allocations, a lot out there will like the PDK on the second hand market.
Had it been like was initially predicted that the PDK would have been the big seller, then yes, the manual could have added substantial value, but seeing that it will be the most common, then I doubt it.

It's like when people talk about Shark Blue being the most valuable colour, but it's also the most ordered. There will be more Shark Blue GT3's than any other colour.
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 01:42 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,140 Posts

(Old man voice): back in my day, the whole track was uphill, 56 laps straight up hill into the sun and a headwind on every turn. If you ran out of gas, you pushed it all the way to the finish…
The following 4 users liked this post by raymort:
AlexCeres (10-31-2021), JAMilford (10-31-2021), jfr0317 (10-30-2021), ShakeNBake (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 01:50 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by flk
I don't notice a big difference between my 991.2 and 992.
The 980 mile break-in puts a damper on really getting a feel for it though.
I agree. I drove mt 991.2 to pick up my 992. Similar. 997 was totally different.
Old 10-30-2021, 01:57 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

said it a million times....they'll always be a better and better PDK GT3s and other DCT cars. The GT3 manual is great and its days are numbered...as are the days of naturally-aspirated, RWD, manual cars in general.

Unless this is the very last GT car one is going to own, I'd strongly suggest trying the manual.

Last edited by motorwerksgroup; 10-30-2021 at 01:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by motorwerksgroup:
bergx7 (10-31-2021), Daft Chief (11-06-2021), Eric5280 (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 03:18 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,725 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake

Just you watch....
I agree. I think these type of cars along with us are a dying breed. I don’t see the demand for manual, naturally aspirated cars increasing in the future. At this point it’s more for financial reasons (flipping) than the love of the car.

They are getting easier to drive not necessarily “better”. Ring times don’t necessarily translate to a better drive on the street. I recently drove a carrera RS. What a handful, full attention on deck at all times and for me more of what I’m looking for at the moment to add alongside 991.2.

Last edited by Jbravo23; 10-30-2021 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:29 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

I'm just not that good. Love my manual gearbox low power 964 and looking forward to a pdk GT3. In both cases I will have my hands full LOL! Oh and I have a Spyder on order too - manual gearbox for that one. They are both great and it is awesome we have a choice!
jfr0317 (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 03:39 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,725 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasPorschelover
I'm just not that good. Love my manual gearbox low power 964 and looking forward to a pdk GT3. In both cases I will have my hands full LOL! Oh and I have a Spyder on order too - manual gearbox for that one. They are both great and it is awesome we have a choice!

thats a sweet combination of Porsche’s. 964 is definitely my next purchase. You still thinking about the turbo GT?
Old 10-30-2021, 05:29 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I tend to agree.

If you missed this, it's hilarious. Henry, typically understated dry humor, in a new RS E-tron GT

jfr0317 (10-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Feedback