Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's in my garage!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 02:52 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 1,426 Posts

I didn't think my excitement levels could go higher than they are but this thread just took it up a notch!
The following users liked this post:
JohnnyF1ve (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 03:23 PM
seatactony
Racer

Received 307 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Sounds about right. My 991.2 GT3 was really not enjoyable to drive on the street unless I was driving with purpose. I would never pick up the keys just to head for an errand or something, it’s just not fun to be in the stiff loud car when not actively driving quickly.

So the car is isn’t parked between track days and I take the more comfy cars out in between.

If you ever have to drive the car a long distance, noise canceling headphones work well for being able to actually listen to something or take a call, and cuts the noise down considerably.

I drive my 991.2 on the street every chance I get, although we live in a great area for driving (island with a beautifully curvy road that tracks the perimeter). That said, definitely not a car in which you can be a passive driver.
JohnnyF1ve (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 03:25 PM
seatactony
Racer

Received 307 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyF1ve
I'm smack dab between Iowa and Illinois. My insurance only lets me drive the car though! It's funny, I called hagerty and somehow ended up with American collectors insurance. /Shrug/
Any Chicago-land volunteers with a 991.2?

That's my old stomping ground (raised outside of Chicago, went to Iowa) and fall would be a great time for a photo shoot of the two cars.

Last edited by seatactony; 09-01-2021 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:29 PM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Received 406 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by seatactony
Any Chicago-land volunteers with a 991.2?

That's my old stomping ground (raised outside of Chicago, went to Iowa) and fall would be a great time for a photo shoot of the two cars.
I'm going to Chicago area for ppf and ceramic in mid-late Sept. I could meet up with folks for a bit maybe. I'd have to check the schedule etc.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:09 PM
Gt3milz
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I just want to say I love you all. It's been a hell of a year. My first Porsche!!!

congrats ! That color is beautiful!
JohnnyF1ve (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 08:10 PM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WhTKt6FxctZB1Lo58

Lmfao 😆😆 I forgot to extra rinse the front radiator. Thought I was done and this happened. Back to rinsing!

Last edited by JohnnyF1ve; 09-01-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:13 PM
NYCGT3
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 137 Posts

I really like the tasteful decals on the doors, and of course the entire car! The Orange Crush!!
JohnnyF1ve (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 08:41 PM
IrwinMFletcher
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

As we know the WRX doesn't even compare to this car, but my WRX is definitely a car that makes you hate bumpy roads just the same(especially with low profile tires)... I mention this because the GT3 is even more so this way. Keep in mind I haven't driven an older GT3, and only my 992. So although I can definitely say this is a stiff *** car, it's hard for me to translate that to a more generalized review.

On the way home from the dealership, probably due to the enormous tires, there was about 10 minutes where I looked at my father-in-law and said it is really loud in here and I'm just driving in cruise control. He basically was yelling to talk to me and I had to basically yell for him to hear me ( although he has harder hearing LOL). It was just one specific road surface for a short period of time. It wasn't a bumpy road so much as it was a - maybe an old asphalt or something, I really don't know what to call it.

Anyway it was so loud in the car from the tire noise during that 10 minutes that I genuinely had a thought like oh my god I hope it's not this loud all the time! But like I said it was literally only one of the road surfaces I drove on so far, and the rest of the trip was fine although of course more cabin noise than my wrx. I don't think I've been in the car with the stiff suspension button lit up yet, as obviously I'm in the break in period and I'm not on a track or anything.

So all that said, keep in mind I've only driven it around a Midwestern City that has road imperfections at slow speeds. When the road is really smooth asphalt or new concrete surfaces you immediately want to press the gas pedal because it feels like it belongs on that surface. Yeah, I mean compared to my very limited sports car driving history I feel like this is absolutely a track car. I'm not Matt Farah, but I feel like he basically said what I'm saying. That being said, I WANT this experience. I WANT to have a "raw machine" experience that has a motorsport badge.

My wife was frightened the entire time in the car even though I wasn't going fast, both because I was driving a small house down the road in terms of cost, but also every time I touch the gas or I turn the car or I go over a tiny bump she feels it and it scares the **** out of her because it's just turning everything I might feel in my WRX up to 11 obviously.

I have the $0 seats. I ****ing love these seats. If I had to nitpick them, I would say the "lumbar" support of them exist but it could extend a little higher up the seat if that makes sense, my back probably just likes a little bit more lordosis than some other people. That being said the seats feel great, I'm just trying to nitpick them after driving an hour and a half home from the dealer the other day. I don't know what the lightweight buckets feel like, my dealer didn't have any cars in stock that happened to have these when I was ordering the GT3, so I played it safe - and I'm very happy I did that. These seats keep me comfortable on various road surfaces and situations regardless of how I know the car is going through the bumps and the imperfections in the road. Meaning although as above I tell you that I can feel every single bump and it feels like a track car in my opinion... I'm comfortable while that's happening.

So please don't think that I'm telling you that my back is broken, I'm just getting up for the day right now as I've been working nights - and I'm going to wash the car and drive it all day again. In no way, shape, or form am I uncomfortable or stiff backed right now. And I have had minor back issues in my life, nothing that required any procedures or anything, but basically I have to stay in shape in order to keep my back strong enough so I never have pain issues(likely from my posture) as I sit at a computer a lot for work, and pleasure.

Whoa. Anyway that's a lot of words, sorry. I ****ing love this car. I love the visceral experience. And I love that yes, it feels like a track car to me. My wife said "I understand why you didn't get a normal 911 or a four-seater V12 like that Ferrari FF or something" ... Because even as someone who has never driven a sports car, she immediately understood that I wanted to drive this angry god for fun.

and this is why so many people put up with the BS. Your excitement is palpable. Kudos to you.
JohnnyF1ve (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 08:51 PM
Nyuofa
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

Great combo of cars in the garage! Enjoy the GT3 in good health!

I am so jealous……..
JohnnyF1ve (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 09:48 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I just want to say I love you all. It's been a hell of a year. My first Porsche!!!

How did you get a GT3 as a first time Porsche owner? I thought you had to be a VIP client to get a GT3 allocation?
Old 09-02-2021, 12:25 AM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnauto
How did you get a GT3 as a first time Porsche owner? I thought you had to be a VIP client to get a GT3 allocation?
​​​​​​
1) I don't think you meant an actual Porsche VIP, but those guys bought 918s and get every car they want to buy for like 10 years, which still has a few more years iirc.

2) when a team wins a racing championship, they always find a way to work around the "norm", or the rule book. I didn't call napleton in Westmont, I didn't call downtown Chicago, I didn't call isringhausen, I didn't call Beverly hills. I called a small dealer that wants to make new relationships and I called before the car was even announced. I only called them, and I made my intentions very clear and polite from early on. There's more but I'm not going to turn this is into an allocation thread, there's plenty of those.

Some people have the gift of gab, and a way with other people!
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnnyF1ve:
GT3NY (09-02-2021), NYCGT3 (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 01:16 AM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnauto
First Porsche, I did buy another from a different dealer after my allocation.

I went to different dealerships in January/February, called a few in December to get on the list for gts and gt3. Put some deposit down at some dealerships.

The one that gave me the allocations (got gt3 and gts) did not ask for any upfront deposit and was the one I had called to cancel saying I put money towards the Tesla roadster and changing my mind from gt3 to a turbo s due to lack of confidence in getting one.
JohnnyF1ve (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 05:20 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Johnny, who's doing your PPF work in the Chicago area, Ivan at Lustr?
Old 09-02-2021, 05:23 AM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
Johnny, who's doing your PPF work in the Chicago area, Ivan at Lustr?
Chicago auto pros. I didn't know who to trust but obviously I found these guys on YouTube doing good work as far as I can tell. For the price, they better!

I'll be turning on the Porsche connect valet alarms while they have the car lol. No ferris bueler stuff in my GT3!!
Old 09-02-2021, 06:58 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,466 Likes on 765 Posts

Chicago auto pros. I didn't know who to trust but obviously I found these guys on YouTube doing good work as far as I can tell. For the price, they better!

I'll be turning on the Porsche connect valet alarms while they have the car lol. No ferris bueler stuff in my GT3!!
Chicago Auto Pros are great.- very good choice

I know Jason and Greg well and they have been doing my cars for over 10 years.

You are in very good hands

Congrats on your new Baby!!!
JohnnyF1ve (09-02-2021)

Quick Reply: It's in my garage!!