Great choice. Been watching their videos for years. Top notch
The following users liked this post:
JohnnyF1ve (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 03:24 PM
NYCGT3
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyF1ve
Chicago auto pros. I didn't know who to trust but obviously I found these guys on YouTube doing good work as far as I can tell. For the price, they better!

I'll be turning on the Porsche connect valet alarms while they have the car lol. No ferris bueler stuff in my GT3!!
since you mentioned it ,may I ask the price for comparison? Thank you..
Old 09-02-2021, 03:27 PM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Received 406 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCGT3
since you mentioned it ,may I ask the price for comparison? Thank you..
Custom full GT3 ppf ~$10k(a bit less than 10). I'm going to pay on top of that ppf cost to add ceramic as well. Hopefully they don't care that I just told you the price, I knew it was going to be expensive before I called.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:37 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

Custom full GT3 ppf ~$10k(a bit less than 10). I'm going to pay on top of that ppf cost to add ceramic as well. Hopefully they don't care that I just told you the price, I knew it was going to be expensive before I called.
wow thats high...I paid 5k for my 991.2 3RS & 6k for my 600LT.....both are full body xpel.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:05 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 1,426 Posts

$10k is a bit steep but pricing does vary with geography. Average from what I've seen between Texas and Calif is about $6-8k for a 911.

One of my friends is an XPEL rep/installer who's worked at a number of high end shops around Texas. He's mentioned some common practices they share and one of those is not paint correcting before the film is applied. Before I met him I would always request correction pre-film and was charged for it, when they likely didn't even do it, impossible to tell unless you removed the film. The PPF covers and conceals any type of surface imperfections/swirling. If there are really bad spots that may show through the film then the shop will correct as needed. But according to my buddy and several other installers I've asked, it's essentially a waste of time to correct light imperfections under the film.

I'm not sure why more shops wouldn't have that conversation with customers who make the request. What does your quote include? I think you mentioned a coating on the film, good call, really extends the life of the film
Old 09-02-2021, 04:12 PM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Originally Posted by PTS
$10k is a bit steep but pricing does vary with geography. Average from what I've seen between Texas and Calif is about $6-8k for a 911.

One of my friends is an XPEL rep/installer who's worked at a number of high end shops around Texas. He's mentioned some common practices they share and one of those is not paint correcting before the film is applied. Before I met him I would always request correction pre-film and was charged for it, when they likely didn't even do it, impossible to tell unless you removed the film. The PPF covers and conceals any type of surface imperfections/swirling. If there are really bad spots that may show through the film then the shop will correct as needed. But according to my buddy and several other installers I've asked, it's essentially a waste of time to correct light imperfections under the film.

I'm not sure why more shops wouldn't have that conversation with customers who make the request. What does your quote include? I think you mentioned a coating on the film, good call, really extends the life of the film
I only want ceramic on top of the film for ease of washing the car. I've had ceramic on my WRX and imo it's just a good hydrophobic coating. And with the 992, I spent about 2.5 hours washing it yesterday, and I don't want to take so long again lol. So ceramic helps with that. As far as paint correction, I'll see what they try to add on sale for me but I'll likely not pay or care for anything else.

As far as the price, xpel ultimate+ I'm assuming is newer and better than ppf 4 years ago, and likewise the car is newer - and probably without many easily printable outlines yet. I'm assuming they'll be using more product on my car. Not that I enjoy paying more money, either, but if these guys are so good I'm going to see what they can do. I expect literal perfection of the ppf for this price, and I'll be checking the panel edges etc when I show up a week later to pick it up.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:15 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

At the end of the day what matters most is install quality, and you know what you're getting with those guys. Piece of mind on a car that new/nice can be worth the extra grand over the next place.
The following 3 users liked this post by PTS:
JohnnyF1ve (09-02-2021), NYCGT3 (09-02-2021), tstafford (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 10:56 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Being one of the only 992 gt3s delivered in the nation so far with it's insane new race car looks is so much more of an eye grabber than other 911s. Every single person stares. Dudes in BMWs have their girlfriends film me from their passenger seats lol... Prepare yourselves!
It's the car of the moment...the winged version that is. I doubt most people would notice a touring at all.
User 81423 (09-07-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 11:04 PM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup
It's the car of the moment...the winged version that is. I doubt most people would notice a touring at all.
I agree. I'm not used to this kind of attention on the road, so I empathize with folks who would rather blend in! It's cool but at the same time I just try to stay zen lol.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:33 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

LOL that’s part of the appeal for those who don’t need attention from others

yes, that’s banter
Old 09-03-2021, 08:11 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,087 Likes on 623 Posts

This is probably true and part of the appeal of the touring for me.
NYCGT3 (09-05-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 01:52 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnauto
How did you get a GT3 as a first time Porsche owner? I thought you had to be a VIP client to get a GT3 allocation?
It's not hard to get these cars. Dealers and buyers *claim* it is, but it isn't. I got a GT3 as a first-time Porsche owner (hell, first-time sports car owner). Just have to pick up the phone and call around. Same thing with my RS.

CONGRATS to the OP!!!!
michaeldorian (09-05-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 01:54 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
It's not hard to get these cars. Dealers and buyers *claim* it is, but it isn't.
Under statement of the year.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:22 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Under statement of the year.
It's not hard to find a GT3 or GT3RS. What's hard is finding one without a crazy ADM.

Same thing with my 4Runner. Spoke with a few dealerships in my area and they all gave me the same BS story that you hear about GT cars: "Oh man, they are SOOOOOO hard to get, almost impossible. Good luck buddy. Oh wait... we actually have two coming in next week though. $15,000 ADM. You want one?"

It's manufactured scarcity. Call a dealership out of state and you'll find one. Did it with my GT3. Did it with my GT3RS. Did it with my 4Runner. Just gotta be willing to pick up the phone and call around.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 09-04-2021 at 02:29 PM.
EMdoc (09-06-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 10:01 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
It's not hard to find a GT3 or GT3RS. What's hard is finding one without a crazy ADM.

Same thing with my 4Runner. Spoke with a few dealerships in my area and they all gave me the same BS story that you hear about GT cars: "Oh man, they are SOOOOOO hard to get, almost impossible. Good luck buddy. Oh wait... we actually have two coming in next week though. $15,000 ADM. You want one?"

It's manufactured scarcity. Call a dealership out of state and you'll find one. Did it with my GT3. Did it with my GT3RS. Did it with my 4Runner. Just gotta be willing to pick up the phone and call around.
Not this argument again. Sure it's a piece of cake and no one else can use a phone.

I do agree on BMWs for example that is the case. This late in the game calling around won't be very successful on GT3s. There are 10 threads of evidence.

Last edited by Chris C.; 09-04-2021 at 10:04 PM.

Quick Reply: It's in my garage!!