Sponsored by:

It's in my garage!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 12:36 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Not this argument again. Sure it's a piece of cake and no one else can use a phone.

I do agree on BMWs for example that is the case. This late in the game calling around won't be very successful on GT3s. There are 10 threads of evidence.
if I listened to everybody who told me "no" in life, I wouldn't be able to own a GT3 in the first place.

I'm not talking about getting an allocation after they've all been spoken for or after production is over. I haven't been following the 992 timeline. So maybe that's the case right now?
But there will be *new* 992 GT3s sitting on dealer lots throughout the country that the dealership ordered themselves and/or ones where customers backed out at the last minute.

It's September. for the 991 and 991.2, by now the country was flooded with them. My 991.2 3RS was part of the very last batch for the USA and it arrived in July 2019. But I have only seen one or two 992s stateside so the timeline might be a little different? Has production stopped? Have all the allocations been spoken for? People are going to back out and there will be new 992s sitting in showrooms.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 09-05-2021 at 12:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
EMdoc (09-06-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 03:39 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Paint correction below ppf is a waste.

But also, ceramic on top of ppf is a waste.

Probably Unpopular to call out that the emperor has no clothes but I cannot tell a ceramic over ppf vs just ppf alone.

I would love to hear differently.
The following 3 users liked this post by CAlexio:
erik_plus8 (09-05-2021), Haku (09-05-2021), JPMD (09-06-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 03:56 AM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Received 406 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Paint correction below ppf is a waste.

But also, ceramic on top of ppf is a waste.

Probably Unpopular to call out that the emperor has no clothes but I cannot tell a ceramic over ppf vs just ppf alone.

I would love to hear differently.
Ceramic just makes it easier to wash. Super hydrophobic. I have it on another car and it's just so easy to wash. That's the only reason imo.
The following 6 users liked this post by JohnnyF1ve:
AlexCeres (09-05-2021), motorwerksgroup (09-05-2021), n3rd (09-05-2021), phefner (09-05-2021), PHX (09-05-2021), PTS (09-05-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-05-2021, 10:57 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyF1ve
Ceramic just makes it easier to wash. Super hydrophobic. I have it on another car and it's just so easy to wash. That's the only reason imo.
Together with a many other "non-pro's" we been applying ceramic coating on ppf ourselves and by following simple instructions. It's not rocket science and certainly not worth it for me to pay someone put on PPF. I've used Carpro and Gtechniq Crystal Serum product and it takes a few hours of work and its easy peesy on and off. Agree with you Johnny, great for hydrophobic reason. Point is, on PPF, put it on yourself!
Old 09-05-2021, 01:59 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,466 Likes on 765 Posts

Very true.

Johnny- make sure you have them include any Paint correction before they wrap your car and do not use any expensive coating. Use the Gtech Serum light which is like 60% less than the more expensive coatings they use. They use the Serum light as the first coat and then they use another Gtech coating over the light. I have gone this path on the last few cars and have saved money netting the same results.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:25 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Very true.

Johnny- make sure you have them include any Paint correction before they wrap your car and do not use any expensive coating. Use the Gtech Serum light which is like 60% less than the more expensive coatings they use. They use the Serum light as the first coat and then they use another Gtech coating over the light. I have gone this path on the last few cars and have saved money netting the same results.
Can you explain this? Why paint correction before wrapping? Once ppf is over it any swirls etc disappear.. looks the same. I know the shops want to charge as much as possible and get us to believe that only the very best of everything is just barely enough for our precious cars... but in talking "over a beer" with a few I've heard that once ppf'd, it looks perfect even without correction.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:32 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,466 Likes on 765 Posts

Can you explain this? Why paint correction before wrapping? Once ppf is over it any swirls etc disappear.. looks the same. I know the shops want to charge as much as possible and get us to believe that only the very best of everything is just barely enough for our precious cars... but in talking "over a beer" with a few I've heard that once ppf'd, it looks perfect even without correction.
Reason- Not completely true when using clear PPF. It is a clear wrap so any scratches ect still show up. I usually just have them do a minor paint correction which is usually a decontaminate and a quick buff. Remember - clear film will show dust if you trap the dust under the film as an example. If you were using stealth film; than no need to do any Paint correction because the Matte film hides scratches, swirls, dust.ect.

I no longer do any films because I only street drive. I just now do a paint correction and Coating like Crystal serum light- usually a two coat process but heck of a lot cheaper than Modesta and some other top brands.

Last edited by Jimmy-D; 09-05-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:59 PM
docmd2010
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 65 Posts

Wow. What a thread! I have a 992 Turbo S on order and am really questioning if I will truly enjoy it as much as a GT3. There just seems to be no driving experience similar to a GT3.
JohnnyF1ve (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 08:17 PM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Received 406 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by docmd2010
Wow. What a thread! I have a 992 Turbo S on order and am really questioning if I will truly enjoy it as much as a GT3. There just seems to be no driving experience similar to a GT3.
I think if I had a turbo I'd drive it more, though. Maybe I'd not, but I'd absolutely love to try a turbo!!
Old 09-05-2021, 08:43 PM
docmd2010
Rennlist Member

I think if I had a turbo I'd drive it more, though. Maybe I'd not, but I'd absolutely love to try a turbo!!

Perhaps I can create more of a "GT" experience in the Turbo by putting an aftermarket exhaust on it and driving it in sport mode haha.

I'm on the list for a GT3 allocation. Who knows when my name will actually come up. Perhaps once it's time for the 992.2.
JohnnyF1ve (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 09:26 PM
porsche526
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 57 Posts

seriously,? the shortage will continue for years ,and these gt3 wil be selling easily for 75k over sticker.......... i now it.............this chip thing will continue for reasons i am not getting into ,,,,,,.dont have the time right now
Old 09-05-2021, 09:30 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,271 Likes on 946 Posts

I recently did the Porsche driving experience in LA. Drove the Turbo S (992) for 45 minutes and the GT3 (991.2) for 45 minutes.

Hands down and it wasn’t even close- for me, the GT3 was head and shoulders above the Turbo. Such a better driving experience.
Mr Mojo Risin (09-06-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 09:33 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

I don’t know if it makes a difference but when I had my Pista wrapped (full body) they paint corrected it and it looks spectacular. The paint on Ferraris is so bad that there were tons of swirl marks that were removed.

Now my GT3 I’m having is factory wrapped on the front. Obviously they won’t paint correct it. I’ll let you know if it makes a difference. With regards to cerwmic coating on top- just makes cleaning easier although I’m starting to think ceramic coating is a joke.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:47 PM
docmd2010
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
I recently did the Porsche driving experience in LA. Drove the Turbo S (992) for 45 minutes and the GT3 (991.2) for 45 minutes.

Hands down and it wasn’t even close- for me, the GT3 was head and shoulders above the Turbo. Such a better driving experience.

I’m not surprised. The PEC in LA is a track experience, no ? I wouldn’t expect the turbo s to outperform a specimen that was born to live on the track.

Perhaps there is a reason to own both ? The turbo s is a fantastic daily driving monster. GT3 great for point A to point A spirited driving.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:01 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

I’m not surprised. The PEC in LA is a track experience, no ? I wouldn’t expect the turbo s to outperform a specimen that was born to live on the track.

Perhaps there is a reason to own both ? The turbo s is a fantastic daily driving monster. GT3 great for point A to point A spirited driving.
We did the track, the slick oval, the drag strip, a bit of everything. For my taste I found the Turbo S bloated and heavy. Greta car- don’t get me wrong and would serve well in DD situations but the GT3 was just much more fun and engaging. Sure you can get both as they are different enough cars but currently I have no interest in a Turbo personally.
PTS (09-06-2021)

Quick Reply: It's in my garage!!