Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In California, all GT3 models are PDK-only!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 01:28 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 782 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
You guys realize that in this specific case, rhe California manual issue has nothing to do with govt overreach. It has to do with California not updating their noise regs and Porsche building a variable exhaust flap which fits the other 49 states. The old 991:2 exhaust fit the old regs.

It's about outdated, not some exceptional California ruling. Just the facts... sometimes car forums aren't exactly full of them.
seems like a giant fail anyway you look at it in the worlds largest auto market.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (06-20-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 01:30 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasPorschelover
seems like a giant fail anyway you look at it in the worlds largest auto market.
have to agree.
Old 06-19-2021, 01:32 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,141 Posts

You guys realize that in this specific case, rhe California manual issue has nothing to do with govt overreach. It has to do with California not updating their noise regs and Porsche building a variable exhaust flap which fits the other 49 states. The old 991:2 exhaust fit the old regs.

It's about outdated, not some exceptional California ruling. Just the facts... sometimes car forums aren't exactly full of them.
Exactly!
Old 06-19-2021, 02:36 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 121 Posts

So overreach bad, gross laziness and incompetence acceptable? Seems like semantics. Not sure how the 5th largest economy in the world doesn't have the resources and skill to update noise regs.

Reminds me of a great quote that I modified "You were either too dumb to notice or don't give a F, either way gtfo"

Last edited by mass27; 06-19-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:44 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

I guess facts only matter when they add to a narrative, but they become "semantics" when they don't.. if you're interested in edumacating yourself here is a good explanation of what happened:
https://apple.news/AA4o1eQlrTD-LrAdgAOAc5g

But really, it's comical how the word "California" strikes a Pavlovian chord with some of you. Here I'll help you with the narrative "those communist bastards must hate manuals too.. I wish god would finally make them pay for their evil ways and make that big earthquake Finally happen so they repent their sins.. what's next, particle filters in my exhaust?"

Last edited by CAlexio; 06-19-2021 at 03:49 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CAlexio:
G.Irish (06-21-2021), Maverick787 (06-19-2021), montoya (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 04:50 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 121 Posts

Edit: Communists in CA? Say it ain't so.

I am hopeful they find a way around the manuals in CA soon.

Last edited by mass27; 06-19-2021 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:40 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasPorschelover
Wait. Isn't that China now??
Old 06-19-2021, 11:49 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 212 Posts

But really, it's comical how the word "California" strikes a Pavlovian chord with some of you. Here I'll help you with the narrative "those communist bastards must hate manuals too.. I wish god would finally make them pay for their evil ways and make that big earthquake Finally happen so they repent their sins.. what's next, particle filters in my exhaust?"
Same Pavlovian response from the Cali crowd. Circle the wagons and try to explain to everyone how awesome the place is. It's quite funny really. To each their own.
The following 3 users liked this post by ranger22:
L39E (06-21-2021), Pcar81 (06-20-2021), Randy M (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 12:38 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by ranger22
Same Pavlovian response from the Cali crowd. Circle the wagons and try to explain to everyone how awesome the place is. It's quite funny really. To each their own.
For the sake of argument, that's actually incorrect. If you live somewhere and you like the curvy roads/weather/ocean views etc... you can say "I like living here because of Xyz". But if you don't, and you put the place down, that's totally different. Can you think of another state which people who DONT live there, make a point of putting down? No, you can't.. because its a bizarre political phenomenon focused solely on California. See the difference? You live in texas... yeay texas, nobody tells you your state sucks because its a hot flat hell-hole... who cares.. you just don't go there if you don't want to. But to actively hate on a state you don't live in (and most Americans haven't even visited!).. now that's weird!

The funny part is, most of us who live here are from somewhere else and have little affiliation with the place except it provides a quality of live we make a conscious choice to pay for.. many people who live in California aren't even American-born. So the whole thing is just beyond bizarre..

I'm from milan, Italy, many years in other American states, then I've lived in California the last 8-9 years.. its amusing to me how Americans put down an American state and it's residents pretty much because a news channel or political movement told them to do so. *Correction, it would be amusing to me if it weren't so sad and destructive.*

But hey.. whatever works for Americans, if California is a punching bag so be it, I just live here and fly between here and Italy, I sometimes go to other states for work, and then gratefully return back here as quickly as I can to enjoy the nature, the scenery, the fresh food and amazing car scene and the weather which frankly, all of which are only beaten by my own native country.

Last edited by CAlexio; 06-20-2021 at 12:45 AM.
G.Irish (06-21-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 01:00 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,039 Likes on 658 Posts

I guess facts only matter when they add to a narrative, but they become "semantics" when they don't.. if you're interested in edumacating yourself here is a good explanation of what happened:
https://apple.news/AA4o1eQlrTD-LrAdgAOAc5g

Oh dear, how sad, never mind. Elections have consequences and why should Porsche flex to Californian legislation if it produces a product that it can sell many times over and with greater margins elsewhere. Its a business decision.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:32 AM
Babyray
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 73 Posts

Because California politicians are experts on knowing what is best for you and your money.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:41 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by groundhog
Oh dear, how sad, never mind. Elections have consequences and why should Porsche flex to Californian legislation if it produces a product that it can sell many times over and with greater margins elsewhere. Its a business decision.
Porsche should never. California needs to update.

Originally Posted by Babyray
Because politicians are experts on knowing what is best for you and your money.
(fixed it for you)

Last edited by CAlexio; 06-20-2021 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:44 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 728 Likes on 337 Posts

Porsche should never. California needs to update.
Oh they'll update, just not in the way you want. In future I could see the CA gov't limit engine size for gas powered vehicle under the guise of 'climate change'.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:50 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Randy M
Oh they'll update, just not in the way you want. In future I could see the CA gov't limit engine size for gas powered vehicle under the guise of 'climate change'.
This past weekend I hosted Hypercar Invitational, an annual event I came up with for fun to bring together automotive industry and the most engaged collectors. There is track time but also dinners with panel discussions and time for real feedback loops. I invited people from VW group including Bugatti and Porsche ventures, also other brands who are doing amazing things for efficiency in sports car manufacturing, fuels and other areas.

One thing which surprised me was how much emphasis there was on the value of Californian brain-trust in terms of entrepreneurship and innovation... and how much these companies were focused on this market as a guiding signal for decisions which then flow elsewhere.

TBC of course, but while the govt of California seems to not be able to get out of its own way, the people who live here are making things happen in a big way.
Randy M (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 02:36 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,039 Likes on 658 Posts

This past weekend I hosted Hypercar Invitational, an annual event I came up with for fun to bring together automotive industry and the most engaged collectors. There is track time but also dinners with panel discussions and time for real feedback loops. I invited people from VW group including Bugatti and Porsche ventures, also other brands who are doing amazing things for efficiency in sports car manufacturing, fuels and other areas.

One thing which surprised me was how much emphasis there was on the value of Californian brain-trust in terms of entrepreneurship and innovation... and how much these companies were focused on this market as a guiding signal for decisions which then flow elsewhere.

TBC of course, but while the govt of California seems to not be able to get out of its own way, the people who live here are making things happen in a big way.
Oh for crying out loud - they look at it because of the impact of various progressive agendas its legislated for e.g. emissions. They wouldn't build a factory there for so many reasons its not funny.

There is a whole world of innovation outside of California that doesn't involve itself in what is often vapid and vacuous posturing and frankly, California in recent times has given us Thanos and companies that survive by taking your personal information and on sell it to other entities to make money, or alternatively bang on about all sorts of causes whilst building product in China e.g. Apple and Tesla.

Last edited by groundhog; 06-20-2021 at 02:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by groundhog:
Babyray (06-20-2021), L39E (06-21-2021)

Quick Reply: In California, all GT3 models are PDK-only!