992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2022 | 11:03 PM
JamesBruen
Intermediate

Like F1, subtly different cars parts set-up, more significantly different results. Perfect tuning, at least that's how it's presented.
Old 09-12-2022 | 12:37 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raymort
I don’t get the MR hype. You can swap pads, put on SE lines, and change the alignment pretty easy. Seems this is a low hanging fruit for most people tracking their car.
It's the classic case of the whole is greater than sum of the parts.

Every marque has all the parts to build the same exact suspension setup that a 911 has, but only Porsche really knows how to tune it to make it drive like, well, a 911.
Old 09-12-2022 | 01:28 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by raymort
I don’t get the MR hype. You can swap pads, put on SE lines, and change the alignment pretty easy. Seems this is a low hanging fruit for most people tracking their car.

I don't think there is hype - they just provide a well thought out package that works well on GT cars. I agree its low hanging fruit but it is based around endless testing - so its vehicle appropriate low hanging fruit. Essentially they provide a proven off the shelf solution.

The most important thing they provide is intellectual property that is proven through lap times, the reality is is it largely comes down to the KWs (spring rates, damping options, height, rake, alignment) and wing (engineered downforce).

The consideration is, what does this get you, if you're a really good driver probably around a 1s per minute - this is a pretty solid return if you're time focussed. To put it another way, it gets you time in corners. For a naturally aspirated car, what does a set of race headers and "tune" get you.......................particularly if you've gone all titanium..............

I know what I would do, and it would be to pick up selected MR components (wing and KWs) and add more driver training slots.

Last edited by groundhog; 09-12-2022 at 05:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
raymort (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022 | 04:50 AM
manolis
Instructor

Originally Posted by crayon991
I had my EOI and deposit down 3.5yrs ago (and i have bought 2x GT cars from them in 3yrs) and doesn't look like they are allowing me to get one either...
No surprise. Purchase of GT only cars doesn't count to any dealer as everybody want to buy these, Dealer will prioritize to their regular long term customers with history of buying regular Porsche models. I am advise RS allocation is limited with no 100pc garrantee all allocated will be delivered so even customers with history may also be declined for this RS. It will come down to ranking for sure.
Old 09-12-2022 | 05:10 AM
manolis
Instructor

Originally Posted by Manifold
Honestly, I think pretty much everyone (me included) is pretty confused and struggling to rationalize what they want to do.

Porsche has designed this RS to win the ring lap time battle and get bragging rights for the brand, but the car doesn't really make sense for any real-world purpose:

- It's not expensive enough to be top dog at C&C and has some ugliness because of the aero. Ferraris and McLarens will always get more oohs and aahs at C&C, the RS is just a fancy 911. There would be some bragging rights that you were able to get the car, but then people will wonder if you're just a sucker who overpaid.

- It's not a great road car because the aero doesn't do much on the road, there's no frunk, the ride may be too harsh, and running windows down in the summer may be too hot. And it's too fast for the road.

- It's not a great DE car because it's too fast to be safe without a full cage, possible overheating problem with windows down in the US, no frunk, may chew through tires too quickly, and cost of track insurance or writing it off will be very high. And you'll probably still get passed by 997/991 cup cars for most of the DE.

- It's not a fully-caged race car, and converting it to one makes it not usable on the street and could present loading problems on the RWS and suspension if using slicks.

Maybe I don't want this car after all. 991.1 GT3 has been plenty fast and fun for DE without the 992 RS drawbacks, and I already have plenty of fun cars for the road.
Not sure what you mean??. With more buyers than allocation all your points and worrying is wasted thinking unless you can actually get the car...... and.... if any buyer is then un happy after driving then it can be sold easy...unless the spec is a major trainwreck! Guys who want the car and cant get one will always hypothesize negatively over the car. This is expected but will not deter the guy who want it and, can actually get it.
Old 09-12-2022 | 08:41 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by manolis
Not sure what you mean??. With more buyers than allocation all your points and worrying is wasted thinking unless you can actually get the car...... and.... if any buyer is then un happy after driving then it can be sold easy...unless the spec is a major trainwreck! Guys who want the car and cant get one will always hypothesize negatively over the car. This is expected but will not deter the guy who want it and, can actually get it.
The GT cars create lust, and this RS is no exception because of the aero, adjustability, and potential to win at track days and C&C. But that doesn’t mean the design isn’t flawed - AP’s group is capable of making mistakes.

My comments are based on the assumption that one can get the car. I don’t rule out the possibility that supply issues become improved and more cars become available than currently expected.

I would be surprised if Porsche isn’t reading this thread, and it’s good for them to hear the complaints about the car and it’s availability.

Last edited by Manifold; 09-12-2022 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-12-2022 | 08:53 AM
manolis
Instructor

The GT cars create lust, and this RS is no exception because of the aero, adjustability, and potential to win at track days and C&C. But that doesn’t mean the design isn’t flawed - AP’s group is capable of making mistakes.

My comments are based on the assumption that one can get the car. I don’t rule out the possibility that supply issues become improved and more cars become available than currently expected.

I would be surprised if Porsche isn’t reading this thread, and it’s good for them to hear the complaints about the car and it’s availability.
True, nothing is perfect....the lack of storage is a pity. Porsche has very long way to catch up in unfilled orders so very much doubt the allocations will improve. I think any complaints will only carry weight once owners get to drive the car and if journo report the car as with unworthy compromises. But let us all not get ahead of ourselves until it can be sampled and judged on the actual user experiences.

Last edited by manolis; 09-12-2022 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-12-2022 | 09:01 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

I think what he says makes sense and is not necessarily throwing doubt because he can't get one. There will be some that do as you say. No idea @Manifold ability to get a car. Besides the point.

I'm thinking the things he is (don't care about C&C trophy). I'm not 100% certain I will get an allocation, but think I have decent chances. I'm not a track god, I'm an intermediate driver working on carrying more speed in corners. I have an interest in a RS, so happens they've taken the 992 to next level with the aero components. This RS would help me do what I want to do, would I be maximizing the RS, hell no. Would 991 RS do for me, yeah definitely.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use it on the street much. It's of not much use where I live to leverage it's capabilities on the street. It's also not my only pcar. It would end up being mostly a track car and very occasional street use. $350k car here with luxury tax (new tax for us Canadians).

I'm torn between GT4RS/992.2 GT3/992.1 RS - this car would be my track car primarily.

GT4RS would get more use because I'd likely use it on street as well.

I'm also not rich to the point money can be spent wherever whenever with no consideration. Sure I can turn the car around as you say, but I don't want to deal with that.

Also not interested in funding the government's lux tax program by getting any new car. Crazy program - the premise upon which it came to be, the mechanics of it, the potential economic outcomes of it (mostly negative). Pay plenty of taxes already. If this continues to burn me up, I'll keep the car I would trade and get another old car.

Last edited by SToronto; 09-12-2022 at 09:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022 | 09:03 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

True, nothing is perfect....the lack of storage is a pity. Porsche has very long way to catch up in unfilled orders so very much doubt the allocations will improve. I think any complaints will only carry weight once owners get to drive the car and if journo report the car as with unworthy compromises.
I think the reviews on track will be good because the grip will be a big step up, and I expect that the handling will be good too. But the reviewers may not give much consideration to issues like tire wear, heat into the cabin, lack of frunk, etc. which matter for real-world use.

You may be right about the allocations, but I hope that everyone who wants one can get one, even if I wind up not being among the people who want one. The pandemic appears to be essentially over, and the Russia/Ukraine situation shouldn't endlessly cripple supply chains.

Old 09-12-2022 | 09:09 AM
manolis
Instructor

I think the reviews on track will be good because the grip will be a big step up, and I expect that the handling will be good too. But the reviewers may not give much consideration to issues like tire wear, heat into the cabin, lack of frunk, etc. which matter for real-world use.

You may be right about the allocations, but I hope that everyone who wants one can get one, even if I wind up not being among the people who want one. The pandemic appears to be essentially over, and the Russia/Ukraine situation shouldn't endlessly cripple supply chains.
As they say if you can afford the car then you can afford the tires.... Pretty sure the car will be a big step up as quoted. Heat in cabin probably not such a problem....plus car has AC and need not be driven with all the window down. Biggest compromise is no frunk from what I see but this may not matter so much to many. Allocations and actual delivery time is the bigger concern. Can not see this improving with such huge numbers of orders outstanding. Many will want in excess of allocation so many will be unable to receive. This is good situation for the flipper type buyer sadly.

Last edited by manolis; 09-12-2022 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-12-2022 | 09:26 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

As they say if you can afford the car then you can afford the tires.... Pretty sure the car will be a big step up as quoted. Heat in cabin probably not such a problem....plus car has AC and need not be driven with all the window down. Biggest compromise is no frunk from what I see but this may not matter so much to many. Allocations and actual delivery time is the bigger concern. Can not see this improving with such huge numbers of orders outstanding. Many will want in excess of allocation so many will be unable to receive. This is good situation for the flipper type buyer sadly.
Beyond affordability, there's the question of value: is something a good use of your money, is the incremental benefit worth the incremental cost? I could 'afford' to run a 991 cup 50 days a year in DE, but I don't think that's a good use of my money compared to tracking the 991.1 GT3. What I'm trying to figure out with the 992 RS, among other things, is whether the experience of tracking the car is worth the additional cost. In a non-competition setting, absolute pace of the car isn't the main consideration, it's really about having fun (with acceptable safety risk).

In the US, the vast majority of DE events require windows down, and heat could be an issue, but maybe some DE organizers would allow windows up with this car.

You may be right about the allocations, but I hope not. It wasn't too hard to get the 991.1 GT3 and GT4, but it's been harder to get the GT cars since then. I continue to have disdain for flippers - let someone who wants to drive the car have it and built to their preference.

Last edited by Manifold; 09-12-2022 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-12-2022 | 09:56 AM
manolis
Instructor

Beyond affordability, there's the question of value: is something a good use of your money, is the incremental benefit worth the incremental cost? I could 'afford' to run a 991 cup 50 days a year in DE, but I don't think that's a good use of my money compared to tracking the 991.1 GT3. What I'm trying to figure out with the 992 RS, among other things, is whether the experience of tracking the car is worth the additional cost. In a non-competition setting, absolute pace of the car isn't the main consideration, it's really about having fun (with acceptable safety risk).

In the US, the vast majority of DE events require windows down, and heat could be an issue, but maybe some DE organizers would allow windows up with this car.

You may be right about the allocations, but I hope not. It wasn't too hard to get the 991.1 GT3 and GT4, but it's been harder to get the GT cars since then. I continue to have disdain for flippers - let someone who wants to drive the car have it and built to their preference.
It is now hard to say what is good value anymore but as far as a value for money go it has a better value for money than some other higher cost cars (ferrari in particular who are extorting buyers badly. This has sadly making it easy for Porsche to raise the prices as they are still cheaper and work better, more fun to drive, easier to use etc. Now with your other points it will not be known until the car is used on the track to make this determination. Flippers of course a big nuicances and dealers are getting fed up with guys buying these gt cars and can not even own them 6 or 12 months before selling ....usually with some bs excuse that nobody buys anyway. Take for the example a few even on this board, one wise guy claiming recenty to own didnt even own it ....then discovered to be some worker or car washer at a dealership just bsing around here. Some dealers are watching more closer now to this flipping. I think many dealers will look at past buyer of 992gt2 and see how long the hold it and if they even drive it enough or properly. These guys should not be given any RS car.

Last edited by manolis; 09-12-2022 at 09:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by manolis:
Manifold (09-12-2022), Taffy66 (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022 | 10:00 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Flippers of course a big nuicances and dealers are getting fed up with guys buying these gt cars and can not even own them 6 or 12 months before selling ....usually with some bs excuse that nobody buys anyway. Take for the example a few even on this board, one wise guy claiming recenty to own didnt even own it ....then discovered to be some worker or car washer at a dealership just bsing around here. Some dealers are watching more closer now to this flipping. I think many dealers will look at past buyer of 992gt2 and see how long the hold it and if they even drive it enough or properly. These guys should not be given any RS car.
There needs to be a distinction between flippers and people who use the the cars and are done with them. I have a car that will have about 5000-6000 km in the few months I've owned it, street and track mileage. I could be done with it if I get fair value, have no use for it October-April. I wouldn't say this is flipping.
Old 09-12-2022 | 10:23 AM
manolis
Instructor

Originally Posted by SToronto
There needs to be a distinction between flippers and people who use the the cars and are done with them. I have a car that will have about 5000-6000 km in the few months I've owned it, street and track mileage. I could be done with it if I get fair value, have no use for it October-April. I wouldn't say this is flipping.
Most dealers can determine by now who these guys are from what I was informed.

Last edited by manolis; 09-12-2022 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-12-2022 | 12:10 PM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

first i was waiting list No.16

i spoke with my dealer (salesman, sales manager and also to the GM) - about tracking and racing my cars. showed them pictures (of my flying 992 Touring for example) and told them funny racing stories. so they recognized i´m real.

on the first day the configurator went online - i was allowed to sign the sales contract.

now i was told that i get the 1st slot from them. (i told them if i get an early car (winter) - i will go to Italy or Spain to track it in )
so my 992 GT3 RS is planned to be produced within Nov.2022

i think i´m their only GT+RS client who use the cars as they are meant to be.
no watch. no ADM. no minimum spec. no taycan bundle deal. so nice!

hopefully some of us had also a nice buying experience.?

so. just 8 more weeks.

#blessed (as LH44 would say ... )

Last edited by jo_ker; 09-12-2022 at 12:12 PM.
The following 11 users liked this post by jo_ker:
bccars (09-21-2022), Carrara Design (09-12-2022), eXpensiveGears (09-12-2022), jfr0317 (09-12-2022), Manifold (09-12-2022), manolis (09-12-2022), PLAYBRAGA (09-12-2022), RealityGT (09-12-2022), richardbf (09-12-2022), subshooter (09-12-2022), SuperDarius (09-12-2022) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: 992 GT3RS