Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Color Selection

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 12:12 AM
XLOR8T
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should really go and see a Lava Orange car in person. Really unique. Carmine red is not as wild but such a stunning red!
Old 07-17-2017, 09:08 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Miami Blue, RS wheels.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:20 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by XLOR8T
You should really go and see a Lava Orange car in person. Really unique. Carmine red is not as wild but such a stunning red!
I agree with you but don’t know where I’d find that around here. I have seen Lava Orange but it’s been a long time...I do remember it is a sharp color. Having said that my favorite colors are blue and red, and a few greens, such as Viper.

Last edited by flickroll; 07-17-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:42 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Keadog
Miami Blue, RS wheels.
I’m starting to move that way. At first I liked Miami Blue with the Sport Wheels with Black the best but now the RS wheels are settling in. Don’t know the best way to describe it...perhaps it is the car looks sleeker with the RS wheels. This is a great forum and I really appreciate all of the feedback that has been given.

The other decision looming is Base vs S. I’m not going to track the car however the Base (my SA calls the Base ‘Normal’-he hates the word ‘Base’) is 30 HP less than the S Cabriolet that I have now. I was leaning Base, and then I’d do a Cobb tune to get the HP over 400, however it appears Cobb is having a very difficult time getting inside the 991.2 ECU, so that may or may not ever happen. Don’t know whether or not I’d miss the 30 HP. I imagine there’s a pretty good weight difference between Cab and Coupe with the Coupe being lighter so that would help. Thoughts and comments with this appreciated too.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:46 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Keadog
Miami is one of the nicest Non-PTS bold blues in a long time IMO.
If I hadn't been approved for PTS, it would have been on my short list.
Hey Keadog, I assume your Targa is Viper Green. I absolutely love that color and I wish it was available in non PTS. If it was I never would have submitted this post as the decision would have been made. Isringhausen had a gorgeous Viper Green with MT and I should have acted on that one.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:26 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Colors choices can generally be divided into two groups -

1 White, black, silver, gray to not be noticed

1a Everything else - adventuresome

BTW get Ceramic Pro coatings to forget about "the work required to keep the black clean is a full time job".
I guess you havent had any black cars Gary. Your beloved Ceramic coating and PPF won't keep pollen and dust off of black. I've had a bunch (still have a black SQ5) and it IS a full time job.

Carmine red is very cool .
Old 07-17-2017, 11:06 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
I guess you havent had any black cars Gary. Your beloved Ceramic coating and PPF won't keep pollen and dust off of black. I've had a bunch (still have a black SQ5) and it IS a full time job.

Carmine red is very cool .
I said exactly nothing about "keep pollen and dust off".

It was about cleaning it off.

Try reading it a few more times.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:21 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 783 Posts

I'm a fan of unusual colors on Porsches. It's interesting to me that the conventional wisdom on car buying tells us that we should buy cars in black, silver or grey for resale purposes, and yet the cars that become most desirable as they age are the cars in unique colors. I think that a buyer should buy the color they prefer. There will always be a buyer in the future when the time comes to sell the car. I bought my car to enjoy it, not to save it for the next guy!

I think Lava Orange and Miami Blue are great colors. My biggest issue with them is that they will attract lots of attention. For some people, this is okay. For me it's not okay, which helps to explain the reason that I currently own my second metallic brown 911. I owned a Macadamia Brown Metallic 997, and now a Mahogany Brown Metallic 991.

I would likely choose Carmine Red from your list; it looks fantastic in person and it's not as flashy as Miami Blue. I could be talked into Miami Blue though, I'd just have to get used to the attention.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:36 AM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Night blue would be my choice
Old 07-17-2017, 11:54 AM
TJ911
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for Night Blue (just got a Targa 4S in NB and it's a stunner). That said, I find my color preference varies by model. I like darker Targas as they make the brushed aluminum bar pop. For cabs, I tend to like a bit more toned-down palette. For coupes, I'm drawn to the wilder colors.

In your situation, if I was keeping it for a decade, I'd likely go Carmine Red--no way you'd feel stupid about that choice no matter where fashions may swing. If I was leasing for 3 years, Miami Blue. It's such a fun color, but then again I live by the ocean in LA--hard for any 911 short of a GT3 with a giant chicken head on top to stick out too much. I might feel differently about color if I lived somewhere else.

If I were to buy a "keeper" coupe I'd pony up for Viper Green, and that's from someone who would never in a million years buy a green car. But 911s are more than just cars...
Old 07-17-2017, 12:06 PM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Miami Blue is gorgeous, really pops in strong sunshine. So near to having it but the downer for me was that the only serious contender for the interior was black and I wanted some colour inside.

RS Spyder 20” IMHO are one of the best rims Porsche make, total class.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:07 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I think this blue, orange stripe optional. Or sapphire blue

Old 07-17-2017, 12:25 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by flickroll
Hey Keadog, I assume your Targa is Viper Green. I absolutely love that color and I wish it was available in non PTS. If it was I never would have submitted this post as the decision would have been made. Isringhausen had a gorgeous Viper Green with MT and I should have acted on that one.
Yes, Viper Green. Byers in Columbus has a .1 Targa 4S in Viper that's been sitting a while. MT but no SC:
https://byers.porschedealer.com/inve...tallic+1148676
I looked at the car - it seems to be in very good condition. They've lowered the price a couple times now.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:30 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
I learned long ago I can only drive Guards Red Porsches.
It is the fastest and hardest to care for!

Viper green is a color that pops if you go PTS. Have you thought about wrapping the car if the color is your main reason for wanting to make a move? I know your talking about Cab to coupe but didn't know what the primary driver was.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:57 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Miami blue gets my vote, it's as close to a PTS color as you can get without paying the premium. I would choose Sapphire blue before I go Carmine red but that's jut my opinion.

Quick Reply: Help with Color Selection