Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Flooring Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 01:57 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 on the vented tiles...Im in Boston so also bad weather. I washed mine just a couple of weeks ago to flush out the salt, etc. I dont have a drain, just a slight slope in my garage. I didnt even pull the tiles up. in the spring Ill do a more thorough job but you can definitely wash these vented ones out and they look like new and the junk washes through pretty well.
The following users liked this post:
masti99 (09-19-2019)
Old 03-22-2018, 02:03 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by friar93

+1 on the vented tiles...Im in Boston so also bad weather. I washed mine just a couple of weeks ago to flush out the salt, etc. I dont have a drain, just a slight slope in my garage. I didnt even pull the tiles up. in the spring Ill do a more thorough job but you can definitely wash these vented ones out and they look like new and the junk washes through pretty well.
How tall are your garage ceilings? This makes me rethink making a lift work if I get a highlift door.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:56 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 165 Posts

I put a full Race Deck checkered floor in my (newly built) 600 sq-ft tandem garage (two wide/two deep) back in 2003. It looked great. Everybody who saw it, loved it. After living with it for about four years, two things were bugging me about it. (1) It moved and buckled as the cars rolled in and out; and (2) It sounded/felt funky when you walked on it (subjective, I know, but still...).
Eventually, I took it out.
Ran with just the plain concrete for a few years, finally calling a local garage floor guy to do an epoxy-coated surface for me. I like everything about it so far. It looks great. It cleans up with just a damp mopping occasionally. And, the unsung bonus is its surface texture (the chips) have changed the garage's acoustics, making it much quieter in there.
I think Race Deck (and its clones) are beautiful and perfect for most applications. You can design something really amazing, even matching your cars, if you want. But, having had both the plastic tiles and the epoxy coated floor, I think the latter is my preference. It just seems more "finished," if you get what I mean. And I think having the garage stem walls coated, too, is what makes the epoxy look more professional.
As others have pointed out, with the epoxy/chips floor, if you drop small hardware on it, you wind up on your hands-and-knees with a flashlight to find it. Little screws and nuts and washers just blend right in.

Last edited by Leader; 03-22-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:44 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
great license plate on the Mustang. Hope you have something equally creative coming for the 911!
Thanks, nothing special for my Porsche.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:45 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Great bike collection!
I see : Ducati Paul Smart * S4S Monster * Triumph Thruxton * BMW R90S * MV Augusta 4 and can't ID the one on the other side of the MV..... but you sir, have good taste in bikes and cars!
I only have two motorcycles and one Porsche and my wife thinks its too many...lol
He does have a fantastic collection. I want the R90S!
Old 03-23-2018, 12:49 AM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
I put a full Race Deck checkered floor in my (newly built) 600 sq-ft tandem garage (two wide/two deep) back in 2003. It looked great. Everybody who saw it, loved it. After living with it for about four years, two things were bugging me about it. (1) It moved and buckled as the cars rolled in and out; and (2) It sounded/felt funky when you walked on it (subjective, I know, but still...).
Eventually, I took it out.
Ran with just the plain concrete for a few years, finally calling a local garage floor guy to do an epoxy-coated surface for me. I like everything about it so far. It looks great. It cleans up with just a damp mopping occasionally. And, the unsung bonus is its surface texture (the chips) have changed the garage's acoustics, making it much quieter in there.
I think Race Deck (and its clones) are beautiful and perfect for most applications. You can design something really amazing, even matching your cars, if you want. But, having had both the plastic tiles and the epoxy coated floor, I think the latter is my preference. It just seems more "finished," if you get what I mean. And I think having the garage stem walls coated, too, is what makes the epoxy look more professional.
As others have pointed out, with the epoxy/chips floor, if you drop small hardware on it, you wind up on your hands-and-knees with a flashlight to find it. Little screws and nuts and washers just blend right in.

I have SwissTrax in my garage and it doesn't make the same noise as Race Deck when walking on it, probably because they're much thicker -- .50 for Race Deck, .75 for Swisstrax And they've never buckled on me, maybe because the squares bigger -- 12x12 for Race Deck vs. 15.75x15.75 for Swisstrax.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:55 PM
PLom
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Mr. Big - SwissTrax does not buckle or make noise when you driver (or walk) on it. A better product IMHO.

Cheers, -Peter
Old 03-24-2018, 03:45 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by laranja
Do people with plastic tiles that snap together experience any binding or warping
when the weather gets hot and the tiles expand?
You should not have any problem with direct sun but here in Arizona with hot direct sun the tiles will definitely swell up like a bubble where the sun covers. I never allow the sun to beat on the tiles.
https://www.garageflooringllc.com/
A 3 car garage was 1K less than http://racedeck.com/ and shipped free. http://racedeck.com/ charged for shipping at that time. Maybe 3 years ago. I think both Co's get their tiles from the same manufacturer in Salt Lake UT
Old 03-25-2018, 03:27 PM
scarhand
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porcellanato tiles, industrial quality. 30x30cm
masti99 (09-19-2019)
Old 03-25-2018, 06:49 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,084 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I have Swisstrax and would have a hard time going with anything else.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:47 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by shaginwagon
I went with epoxy. 5 years and no issues. Next time I will probably go with a solid color, all the flakes make it difficult to see small screws, washers and bolts if they drop on the floor.

I have similar flooring. Love it, except when I drop small things. Good thing most of them have iron content, so I have a magnetic sweep that I use when I drop something or just periodically to make sure no screws or nails find their way into the tires.

They're not expensive. Here's one at Home Depot for $30.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-Co...FZd6fgodqN0Kxg
Old 03-26-2018, 03:54 AM
AlexLou
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Epoxy floor and absolutely love it! It holds up very well, and it take one wipe to clean any water/oil/dirt from it.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:16 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is green coated epoxy with ribtrack. This ribtrack is very useful to prevent tire marks when the tire is wet after rain or after car wash. It also prevents the tires sticking to the epoxy during long storage.
I didn't install the ribtrack all the way to the edge because I wanted all edges and corners in my garage spotless clean. It's easy to get these areas molded here especially during the rainy season. To prevent sliding, I just added double tape on some of the plastic tiles.
The ribtrack is about 1 year, but the epoxy is about 10 years old. This epoxy still shines under light despite its surface has shown some aging (see the micro weave). But, this probably happens for a good thing to prevent me slipping.
So far, this combo seems to work well!

PF
CarreraFahrer (09-04-2019)
Old 03-26-2018, 12:55 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmesa
How tall are your garage ceilings? This makes me rethink making a lift work if I get a highlift door.
I have 128" ceilings. I installed the high garage opener and rails that hug to the ceiling (same garage door but the opener works with a torsion bar and not a chain so the whole garage door opener in the middle of the ceiling is gone along with those annoying springs and the opener sits to the side of the door).

I bought the higher Bendpak Lift in the hopes I might some day be able to put an SUV under but Im just a couple inches short and it leaves no room to 'unlock' the lift(it has to go up a couple inches to unlock before going down). however I could easily fit a sedan under there like a 5 series,etc. The long term benefit is that, if I ever just use the lift for just maintenance and not to store the car then I do have the lift that can go up high enough for an SUV.

overall, really pleased with the install and the Bendpak.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:57 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I’m looking at using A1 Epoxy Floors in Palatine, IL. Anyone have any experience with them? Only a 2-yr warranty on the work, but they said their stuff lasts a long time. A public pool they did 18 years ago is getting re-done only for discoloration and spotting reasons.

Website has some good pics, good ratings, but I want good longevity too:

https://yelp.to/qTKq/vsN3CoiyIZ

Quick Reply: Garage Flooring Ideas