Sponsored by:

Garage Flooring Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 07:57 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I think I will try the anti slip coating next time for sure.
You can still add a clear coat layer with a product called “Rust Oleum EpoxyShield Anti-Skid Additive” to your existing epoxy floor, it looks like white thin sand but it’s actually aluminum oxide and gives a good grip, I made sure they included it when I epoxied my garage floor.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:30 PM
waizone
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Any recommendations for a professional epoxy company in San Diego area? Thanks
Old 03-20-2018, 02:55 PM
koister2001
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Reborn996
Epoxy flooring has worked great for me for the past 5 years 😊
It looks good. Did you install yourself or hire a contractor?
Old 03-20-2018, 03:45 PM
Alec Syme
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I did a super nice expensive epoxy floor two years ago. Looks great. Loved it. Then winter came and made as slippery as an ice rink. Put down Matt’s but didn’t love how all the muck salt and sand ithe cars brought in just sat there. Pretty gross in the winter. Last weekend I installed Swisstrax. Fun DIY job. Love it. Should solve the winter problem and I really like the look. Cost about $2700 for my 3 car garage.

The following users liked this post:
masti99 (09-19-2019)
Old 03-20-2018, 05:04 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Originally Posted by Alec Syme
I did a super nice expensive epoxy floor two years ago ...
winter came and made as slippery as an ice rink ...
didn’t love how all the muck salt and sand he cars brought in just sat there.
Winter grunge is one of the reasons I wouldn't even consider a trax-type floor... Won't the snow melt and winter grunge just fill up all those slots with no easy way of cleaning it?

They do look nice bit it seems like floors like that are best suited for show car garages in warm climates?

On epoxy floors, various granules are typically spread between epoxy layers to provide slip resistance...

https://plexi-chemie.com/nonslipepoxyfloorcoatings/
Old 03-20-2018, 06:01 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waizone
Any recommendations for a professional epoxy company in San Diego area? Thanks

Perkins Custom Coatings is the best in SD. They use polyaspartic urea instead of epoxy; much stronger product and UV stable, so will not fade.

http://www.perkinscustomcoatings.com
Old 03-20-2018, 06:06 PM
Alec Syme
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Winter grunge is one of the reasons I wouldn't even consider a trax-type floor... Won't the snow melt and winter grunge just fill up all those slots with no easy way of cleaning it?

They do look nice bit it seems like floors like that are best suited for show car garages in warm climates?

On epoxy floors, various granules are typically spread between epoxy layers to provide slip resistance...

https://plexi-chemie.com/nonslipepoxyfloorcoatings/
These are slatted with channeling underneath to let water run out with the slope of the floor. It's really cool how this works. It will get gross UNDER these tiles. So in the spring, I can just pull up the ones I park on and pressure wash it out. Probably only take an hour or so. The point is these are GREAT for a winter climate. The slop goes through and lets the surface just dry. The other big brand is Racedeck. I chose Swisstax because it's 3/4" thick where Racedeck is 1/2" thick. Should work a little better for the sludge and grime.

Oh and I guess I didn't get the anti-skid granules in my fancy epoxy floor...

alec
Old 03-22-2018, 12:01 AM
JR1946
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Love my RaceDeck floor (682 sq ft) ... I installed it in one day about 15 months ago ... about $2,200 (didn't know I would be adding a 911 GTS back then ... a little cramped but works). EZ care ... use our Lady Bug Steamer to clean the floor. Do put a board under floor jack wheels.
JR1946
Old 03-22-2018, 12:20 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Another Race Deck installation. It's not perfect but it's very easy to install and easy to repair if needed. Note I did not use the diamond plate look. I think the round is easier on the knees when working on your car.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:41 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

great license plate on the Mustang. Hope you have something equally creative coming for the 911!
Old 03-22-2018, 11:01 AM
crbiker
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I went with the Granitex epoxy floor professionally installed. It works well for me. I went with the smallest chip size (1/16") as I liked the look. It has some grip to it due to the high chip content, but is for the most part, uniformly even. Living in AZ I really don't have to worry about wet floors and slipping.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:27 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by crbiker
I went with the Granitex epoxy floor professionally installed. It works well for me. I went with the smallest chip size (1/16") as I liked the look. It has some grip to it due to the high chip content, but is for the most part, uniformly even. Living in AZ I really don't have to worry about wet floors and slipping.

Great bike collection!
I see : Ducati Paul Smart * S4S Monster * Triumph Thruxton * BMW R90S * MV Augusta 4 and can't ID the one on the other side of the MV..... but you sir, have good taste in bikes and cars!
I only have two motorcycles and one Porsche and my wife thinks its too many...lol
Old 03-22-2018, 11:38 AM
crbiker
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Great bike collection!
I see : Ducati Paul Smart * S4S Monster * Triumph Thruxton * BMW R90S * MV Augusta 4 and can't ID the one on the other side of the MV..... but you sir, have good taste in bikes and cars!
I only have two motorcycles and one Porsche and my wife thinks its too many...lol
Thank you Sir! The acid green bike is a BMW S1000rr. I also own a 1993 Ducati Superlight which is at the dealership getting a new speedo cable installed.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:15 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaronr
RaceDeck Free Flow for me, I love it.

Floor is 5 years old and looks new.

Snow, sand, and salt here in Indiana and it works great.

I love washing with no squeege or clean-up when done.
Looks great! Question for you tho: Do you have a drain in the floor, or just a grade to run the water from washing out of the garage?

I live up in PA where (like right now) we get a lot of foul weather and worse, in the winter the road crews treat everything with rock, salt, sand, etc. The P-car might not come-out in those cases, but I have two daily drivers that when I pull-in the garage shed all manner of junk. Having any flooring tiles that allow this stuff to pass through sounds great, but I would worry that they wouldn't flow to the driveway enough and just become receptacles for rock, dirt, and ice. So, drainage is a big deal in my case..... I just haven't found that pass-through tiles are a clear winner despite how great they look. And epoxy? The conditions here are very harsh.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:54 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by koister2001
It looks good. Did you install yourself or hire a contractor?
I hired a contractor, wanted it done right and the prep work is key for it to look good. Was only about $1200 total.

Quick Reply: Garage Flooring Ideas