Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Flooring Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:16 AM
phx991
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with both modutile and either swisstrax or racedeck?

The quotes I received for swisstrax and racedeck are almost triple what modutile costs, plus modutile ships free. They look identical on the respective websites, and have the same physical dimensions.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:32 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Tiger
I have Racedeck free-flow and have no issues turning into my garage.
Ditto but with conventional Racedeck. 90 degree turn into garage and there's never been a scintilla of separation. Of course, I'm not fully turning on the racedeck -- that would be impossible unless I ran the tile out into the driveway.

But my driveway is perpendicular to the garage and I begin my turn in the driveway, and probably enter the bay at a 60-degree angle (with 30 degrees left to turn so as to straighten out parallel with the bay.) It's sort of "poke the nose in, get up to the door handle, then saw hard left to start straightening the car out." Lots of turning going on. No problems ever.

I installed my Racedeck in April 2005 so well over a dozen years. They've never separated, I've never had to replace a tile.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:47 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Tiger
I have Racedeck free-flow and have no issues turning into my garage.
Same, no issues when I come in while turning. The only issue I've ever had is once, after a spirited drive, my tires stuck a bit to one of the park stop sections I installed. The floor slid a bit when I backed out until it released. No big deal and never happened again.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:47 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by phx991
Does anyone have any firsthand experience with both modutile and either swisstrax or racedeck?

The quotes I received for swisstrax and racedeck are almost triple what modutile costs, plus modutile ships free. They look identical on the respective websites, and have the same physical dimensions.
You get what you pay for in flooring.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:46 AM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This:

It's actually unusual, as it usually splits vertically, instead of horizontally as it is here. My wife swears on a stack of bibles that she's going really slow, but....it's only happened to me once in a couple of years, but she does drive the heavier vehicle. Going to have to go back to an epoxy covering here. Most of the coverings that have a liquid base have the downside that if you drop something, finding what you dropped (a screw ? a washer? anything small?) is miserable.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:01 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaronr
RaceDeck Free Flow for me, I love it.

Floor is 5 years old and looks new.

Snow, sand, and salt here in Indiana and it works great.

I love washing with no squeege or clean-up when done.
That looks awesome. How did you get that pattern effect? Just alternate the direction of every other tile?
Old 09-15-2017, 01:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by ralt12

It's actually unusual, as it usually splits vertically, instead of horizontally as it is here. My wife swears on a stack of bibles that she's going really slow, but....it's only happened to me once in a couple of years, but she does drive the heavier vehicle.
That's Race Deck? Looks like a really old, worn knock off. I've never had my Race Deck separate on it's own ever. It's a pain to separate when I want to, much less by accident. Very odd.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

BTW, anyone debating between Race Deck and Swiss Track should get a few tiles of each in the colors you want and compare them. Both are great products, but, much like the 14 way v. 18 way issue, my bet is that you wind up preferring one over the other based on personal preference. Not only are the connections different, the color saturation/sheen is a bit different as well.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:21 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
That's Race Deck? Looks like a really old, worn knock off. I've never had my Race Deck separate on it's own ever. It's a pain to separate when I want to, much less by accident. Very odd.
Yes, that is genuine, expensive Racedeck. I don't skimp when it comes to my garage. To the point when today I'm taking this crap up and going with a paint-based solution. With 1400 square feet, I may as well lit hundred dollar bills. And...you would not believe how much stuff lives under the tiles.

FYI, RaceDeck warps as well, nor did they answer my emails about it. Floor is laser-flat underneath it.

Last edited by ralt12; 10-20-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bents
That looks awesome. How did you get that pattern effect? Just alternate the direction of every other tile?
No need to alternate. That pattern is in every tile of Race Deck Free Flow. Each 12x12 tile has four sections in it, two that angle one way and two that angle the other. SwissTrax is the same. Makes the floor look much nicer.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:23 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm having these folks do a polyaspartic floor covering in the spring. Was going to get around to it this fall, but I didn't expect to find my 911 this year. Too much cash flying out so I'm done spending for now

http://www.garageliving.com/calgary/

Old 09-15-2017, 11:44 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Epoxy flooring has worked great for me for the past 5 years 😊
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2017, 04:41 AM
See U n RearView
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

Really impressed with a all of the floors, and the pro's and con's, some of which i hadn't thought of, so I tagged a few that I have to go back and contemplate...

However, before I read this post, I have always liked the Professionally installed, what appears to be a strong but hard flexible rubber at one of our dealerships as shown >here<

Then there's this company called Floortex which has some interesting stuff

I have also saw a few folks install Ceramic Tile. Depending on the Tile, it can look formal, or polished or non-slip

Originally Posted by pfbz
I know the snap-together tile floors are very popular and they look great, but I think they work much better for a 'store your car' garage rather than a 'work on your car' garage. Spill a liter of oil on it and you will be cleaning for days... Plus I really don't like the sound they make when walking on them..

For working garages, it's hard to beat just a coating like an epoxy finish. Lots of prep work needed, especially on an older garage, to get the finish properly applied, but once done they look good, jacks and roller seats roll around easy on them, they don't dimple with applied pressure from motorcycle kickstands, jackstands, etc. and are reasonable priced.

If you've never visited www.garagejournal.com, spend a few hours over there for more opinions and options than pretty much anywhere else! They have an entire forum section dedicated to flooring!
Originally Posted by addysdaddy
What he said! Had a roller dolly which also worked with no problem. The Swisstrax was simply a fantastic surface and when we sold the house, it was one of the features that locked in the deal. The guy took one look and was sold.
Originally Posted by drcollie
I did mine in Racedeck, the high gloss variant (extra $ 1 per tile). Three years old now - still love it.

Before - no prep other than to sweep and move stuff out of the way:

After - two hours to lay the main tiles, another two hours to cut the tiles that go next to the wall.

Now three years old - a few dents from the motorcycle stands, but otherwise good.:

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
I went with the race deck flooring. Very impressed with the ease of installation. I had 645 tiles (also 645 sq ft) and the trim/transition pieces delivered for about $1890. The regular price was $3.89 per tile for the type I got. I am a member of garage journal forum (free to sign up) and they offer a discount to $2.89 and free shipping for members if you tell them you are a member when you order. Nice discount for just posting on a forum!
Install was quite easy. Took me about 8 hours total but a good portion of that was spent moving my 4 post lift around so I could get the tiles under the corner posts.
Originally Posted by ralt12
Racedeck is ok if you have a straight shot into the garage, but if there is a turn involved, like on my driveway, it's almost impossible to go slow enough for the tiles to not separate. Would have never gone this way if I had thought this was going to be the case, and may just make the second bay (two+ deep )racedeck, and use another coating for the main floor.
Originally Posted by koala
I'm having these folks do a polyaspartic floor covering in the spring. Was going to get around to it this fall, but I didn't expect to find my 911 this year. Too much cash flying out so I'm done spending for now

http://www.garageliving.com/calgary/

Originally Posted by Reborn996
Epoxy flooring has worked great for me for the past 5 years 😊
Old 10-19-2017, 12:55 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 283 Posts

how does epoxy floors stand to winter/snow/ice/salt?
Old 10-19-2017, 03:09 PM
mark.jorgensen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
how does epoxy floors stand to winter/snow/ice/salt?

All about the floor prep, if done correctly will last forever.

Quick Reply: Garage Flooring Ideas