Sponsored by:

Garage Flooring Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 01:16 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
Sorry for the bad pics. I wanted tight grout lines and something that would not show dust or dirt. I love it. Epoxy grout is a must. This is the only 100% permanent solution that will look the same in ten years as it does today and increase the value of the house...at least to some buyers.

If I had it to do over I would have used the faux distressed wood like I used in a recent bathroom project. Non-slip and beautiful. But I'm not about to remove this to do it over.

I see this and think; now this is a guy that needs moar 911 and crotch-rocket. Very nice collection and the floor looks great. Did they put down a membrane before installing (like ditra or red guard)?

Last edited by Wujohn; 08-04-2021 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:15 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 592 Posts

@Wujohn I don't know and my brain is fading on the details. I will say this as a piece of advice, especially if you live in California: Tile installers gave me pushback on doing epoxy grout, mostly because of inexperience with it. They want to do the same thing over and over. They hear epoxy is hard to deal with and it is NOT. You simply need to do clean up quickly. I had to talk the guy into it by acting like I knew something about it (I do not). They will also try to get you to use this new hybrid grout...I forget the name. It's NOT epoxy. I had to be firm with them.

Also the adhesive I used...Keralastic and whatever it was that I said above. In Los Angeles your installer is 95% Hispanic, and 50% speaks little English. Make sure they read the instruction for the adhesive. I caught him about to make a huge mistake had I not decided to check. There are videos on using Keralastic in Spanish on Youtube.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:05 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
@Wujohn I don't know and my brain is fading on the details. I will say this as a piece of advice, especially if you live in California: Tile installers gave me pushback on doing epoxy grout, mostly because of inexperience with it. They want to do the same thing over and over. They hear epoxy is hard to deal with and it is NOT. You simply need to do clean up quickly. I had to talk the guy into it by acting like I knew something about it (I do not). They will also try to get you to use this new hybrid grout...I forget the name. It's NOT epoxy. I had to be firm with them.

Also the adhesive I used...Keralastic and whatever it was that I said above. In Los Angeles your installer is 95% Hispanic, and 50% speaks little English. Make sure they read the instruction for the adhesive. I caught him about to make a huge mistake had I not decided to check. There are videos on using Keralastic in Spanish on Youtube.
I've done plenty of normal grout and just did epoxy grout for 2' x 4' porcelain tiles in my back yard. It is definitely more difficult to use (especially under SoCal sun), 5X the cost but a better product if you need more elasticity, stain resistance, etc. in your grout. For those that want to tile their garages, google uncoupling membrane and make sure your installer uses something. Your tiles can crack if you do not.
The following users liked this post:
Booth9999 (08-21-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 02:43 PM
cutlass476
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
https://www.swisstrax.com/?gclid=Cj0...2_UaAhf_8P8HAQ

I'm providing a picture that has a Jackpoint Stand to show the durability of the material. The website also has floor designer to assist you with existing layouts, or design one yourself.
Love your garage and your car, she's a beauty. You have probably already been told this but your left front rotor is mounted on the wrong side of the vehicle. It appears that you have the right front rotor mounted on the left side. The drilled holes and/or slots should always point to the rear of the vehicle.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:58 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wujohn
I've done plenty of normal grout and just did epoxy grout for 2' x 4' porcelain tiles in my back yard. It is definitely more difficult to use (especially under SoCal sun), 5X the cost but a better product if you need more elasticity, stain resistance, etc. in your grout. For those that want to tile their garages, google uncoupling membrane and make sure your installer uses something. Your tiles can crack if you do not.
Yes you are right on the membrane. I got quoted some crazy numbers to do epoxy but in the end it cost me the same as regular grout plus $1 square foot as I recall. I think it was $6 square foot that went up to $7 but my mental hard drive is full. The estimates from some places were higher by a factor of 6. One guy...a "buddy" wanted $40 square foot. That was not happening. Doing epoxy out in the sun would be tough since the big deal with epoxy is cleaning the haze off.

Regardless it was worth spending $12k or whatever it was. Because of its longevity, I would hope to get some of it back in resale value if I sold the house. But this is my end game home. Funny you can tell most real estate agents are female. They almost never talk about garages in homes for sale listings.

By the way thank you for the nice compliments. I need to sell off some bikes.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:20 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 510 Likes on 247 Posts

Old 08-04-2021, 08:19 PM
antwon412
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 40 Posts

Swistrax is great -

Old 08-04-2021, 09:41 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

I love those Racedeck patterns you guys come up with. And the painted floors look amazing.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:24 AM
Clubber
Racer

Received 498 Likes on 104 Posts

You can't go wrong with EPOXY

The following 7 users liked this post by Clubber:
cadster (08-06-2021), CarreraFahrer (08-21-2021), Dre01SS (08-05-2021), Fullyield (08-06-2021), spyderbret (08-05-2021), tourenwagen (08-05-2021), XLR82XS (08-05-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-05-2021, 10:12 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyati

There had to be some cussing during this one.

I've been using these drip trays from Advance Auto ($12) to put under my fluid containers to catch drips and spills and even place oily tools to try to keep the floors clean.

Last edited by CSK 911 C4S; 08-05-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:19 AM
Gixxerboy63
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Here's my old garage...
We did Swiss Traxx. I was very pleased with how it cleaned up the space and made it look more finished.
This ribbed flooring system is good looking, tough and weathered 7 years of all season use, floor jacks before we moved.
It required very little care and aways looked great. I would simply take a leaf blower and blow out the leaves and debris occasionally.
Only after about 5 years, I pulled it up, swept and mopped underneath and layed it back down.... it was very easy to do and the entire process only took about an hour and a half in total, start to finish.

Before

After:

Before:

After:

…and an unfinished Porsche

Last edited by Gixxerboy63; 08-21-2021 at 09:26 AM.
polobai (08-21-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 12:25 PM
Gixxerboy63
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

This is my current garage.
While I loved my Swiss Traxx flooring at my old house (above post), I’m considering an all white or a very light Gray epoxy floor this time…

My biggest concern is that the existing floor is 40 years old and will require a lot of surface prep. The last thing I want is for the epoxy to lift where the tires rest (This seems to be a hit or a miss, even when professionally done!!! I’ve seen this happen so many times that I am a little scared to do the epoxy system). 😱 😳

My desire is to accomplish a clean look like the HBi Auto detail shop (below)

Any suggestions?
🙂

Old 08-21-2021, 12:30 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

yes, quit posting pics of ur gorgeous car..
GermanCarFan1 (01-23-2023)
Old 08-21-2021, 12:48 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,857 Likes on 1,523 Posts

Originally Posted by Gixxerboy63
This is my current garage.
While I loved my Swiss Traxx flooring at my old house (above post), I’m considering an all white or a very light Gray epoxy floor this time…

My biggest concern is that the existing floor is 40 years old and will require a lot of surface prep. The last thing I want is for the epoxy to lift where the tires rest (This seems to be a hit or a miss, even when professionally done!!! I’ve seen this happen so many times that I am a little scared to do the epoxy system). 😱 😳

My desire is to accomplish a clean look like the HBi Auto detail shop (below)

Any suggestions?
🙂
For a real working garage, epoxy is hard to beat. I think a top quality porcelain tile would be even nicer, but at perhaps 5-10X the cost?

I can't imagine having any of those slotted plastic tile systems and dealing with the inevitable spill, dropped small part, etc.

Old 08-21-2021, 03:13 PM
991.2 GTS
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

At my previous home I tried epoxy twice each time doing the prep work recommended including grinding the floor followed by acid wash. In the end Porcelain Tile was the final and permanent solution, it was just fantastic.

Two months ago I moved into a new home and really wanted to do my new four car garage in porcelain again but couldn't stomach the cost so as you can see from the photos below I went with a "Polyaspartic" Floor Coating on the floor and concrete foundation walls. This was professionally installed and comes with a ten year warranty. I'm really happy with the end result and It's supposed to be superior to epoxy and urethane coatings but only time will tell. Check out all the high end dealerships and even in their service shops, you will find porcelain tile on the floor.

Although my polyaspartic floor turned out great, if cost wasn't a factor I would have a porcelain tile floor again in a heart beat.

The following 2 users liked this post by 991.2 GTS:
cadster (08-21-2021), TXGerman (08-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Garage Flooring Ideas