The Leather to Sample Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 01:10 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by SockToy
I don't think the deviated stitching is quite the rip we're implying... I'd guess that Porsche have a stock pipeline of the standard threads/colours ordered in from their suppliers and get bulk discount, benefits of production line fitting, etc.

Order near-unique combos with deviated leather or stitching, and suddenly you're paying for custom builds ,small scale orders, and people rather than machines fitting things.

Seems reasonable to drive a higher cost; the expense of a single bobbin on a custom sofa vs a custom fit on an otherwise standardised production line aren't really comparable.

If I'm right.
Was on the factory floor and saw leather panel getting sewn together. All the spools of thread are above. Pick the color you want. You want non standard color, we charge you extra for being a picky person. She now might have to reach to the left or right a few inches. But in then end, we should get what we want.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:56 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,187 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Originally Posted by UDPride
This is one of the realities that would prevent me from paying hundreds of dollars for deviated stitching on many interior parts. You can easily rack up $2000-3000 on the interior by going ape in deviated stitching. At the end of the day its just thread. The sewing machine has no idea if the thread is $0 black or $355 Racing Yellow. Same exact thread just a different dye. As you said, someone literally just loaded the sewing machine with a different color. The added production/product/labor cost is however many extra calories the seamstress burned reaching an additional 6 inches of the colored spool of your choice. For $300 for deviated stitching on the steering column casing, you could go to Jo-Ann Fabrics and buy 500 miles thread in any color you wanted at that price.
I own a store that specializes in leather upholstery and am a top dealer for Hancock & Moore, the best leather furniture maker in the country. When a customer wants deviated stitching on their sofa, chair, recliner, etc., there is no charge to do so. When I was at the factory a few months ago, I was walking through the sewing unit at the plant with upper management and mentioned that Porsche charges hundreds of dollars to change thread color they just couldn't believe it. Then the VP of Production then asked one of the sewers to change a thread color on her machine and it took her less than 15 seconds. That's why they don't charge for it.

Porsche found a way to gouge. Some of you will pay it.
The following users liked this post:
UDPride (03-30-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 05:06 AM
K1dzReal
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

deleted.

Last edited by K1dzReal; 07-04-2021 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-04-2024, 08:33 AM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 47 Posts

@evilfij .... Great thread.. thanks for pulling all the info together! I own a 991.1 GTS PTS car, but just recently learned about leather to sample. I bought a 1985 M491 coupe from the original owner. He opted for LTS as he didn't think the standard colors seemed right for the car. It was a $2000 option in '85 on a car with a $48k sticker.

I was curious if you had any details on the history of LTS? When was it first offered? How common was it in the 80s? etc.

Quick Reply: The Leather to Sample Thread