Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Leather to Sample Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 06:14 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,187 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Don't forget to clean and condition your leather interiors. I spent an hour on mine last evening using the 3-step kit Leather Magic Kit (Cleaner/Conditioner/Protectant). It's VERY important to do this periodically, especially the steering wheel. Stay on top of it (every 4 to 6 months) and you will be rewarded with a leather interior that looks good and won't crack year after year. At the very least, use a two-step kit of cleaner/conditioner. Those 1-step bottle products are not very good, any more than a 1-step cleaner/wax is good for the paint on the car.

I am also very much amused by those of you that will pay for deviated stitching. When I take an order for leather sofa at my store, if the customer wants a different color stitch - no problem and no charge. Like my supplier's say "Why would we charge for it? We're just changing the bobbin - we wouldn't feel right doing that for what is 2 minutes extra work". Knowing that, I myself could never pay for it...lol
Old 07-18-2017, 06:30 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I agree on both points drcollie.

With LTS deviated stitiching (everything covered in the $3500 extended package -- except the steering wheel -- is included free). A rare value proposition from Porsche.

On the other hand, on a GT3 or GT2RS, to get non-deviated stitching (or a color other than red or platinum grey) it is $3500! On a GT3, to get red it is a $1500 upcharge everything else, including black, is a $3500 option.

Last edited by evilfij; 08-06-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:44 PM
xgrimeyx
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts

which color as dev. stitching sticks out the most on black leather in terms of being close to white. i'd guess the chalk color??
Old 07-18-2017, 07:41 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Pebble grey and cream are others close to white, then GT Silver. Based on what I have seen, pebble grey appears lighter than chalk, but as I was not focused on it, you should go to the dealer or exclusive and check the samples yourself. Cream is nice on colored leather and is much warmer than the other choices.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:31 PM
xgrimeyx
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts

i was able to find radom pics of the pebble and rhodium sliver but not of the cream or chalk on the black leather. if you know or see any post them up please. i plan on ordering the center dev seats in chalk.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:59 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

If you are getting seat centers in chalk, I can't see how cream would look ok. You can see chalk stitching on graphite blue in any two tone graphite blue/chalk interior which should give you an idea what it would look like on black.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:57 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Below is a picture of an ascot brown LTS car listed for sale [EDIT: sold in a couple days, congrats to the new owner as it is lovely.]

Two things of note: one, it shows the a pillars in LTS on a cab and it shows the black defroster trim that remains if you don't spec extended dash leather. I would have probably speced the option, but it does not look off to me.

MOST IMPORTANT TO ME, it has sport seat plus backs in leather with LTS which I was told was not possible (maybe because my order is natural leather???). [EDIT: confirmed no seat backs in leather are available on sport plus seats with LTS for 2018.]
Attached Images    

Last edited by evilfij; 08-06-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:37 PM
PLom
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting those - stunning color. I agree full dash would have been my choice as well.

Cheers, -Peter
Old 07-26-2017, 09:35 PM
mrneddles
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Just met with evio and snapped a couple of nice shots of his stunning Targa 4S in GT Silver over ascot leather. The contrast stitching is rhodium silver. He asked me to post up the pics as he is still enjoying Charleston while traveling home from PEC.

Such a nice combo and build. If you have the patience, LTS is the way to go.

Name:  4N2xVQf.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  503 Bytes
Name:  tt1x8b9.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  503 Bytes
Old 07-27-2017, 02:44 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Very nice. Tell evio the blue top looks great too! Note the a pillar trim in LTS on the targa as well.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:55 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,107 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I am also very much amused by those of you that will pay for deviated stitching. When I take an order for leather sofa at my store, if the customer wants a different color stitch - no problem and no charge. Like my supplier's say "Why would we charge for it? We're just changing the bobbin - we wouldn't feel right doing that for what is 2 minutes extra work". Knowing that, I myself could never pay for it...lol
It's Porsche. Of course it's pure profit. There was a documentary a while ago showing part of the factory. The leather sewing area clearly showed multiple bobbins in different colors sitting on top of the machines.
The workers didn't even have to get up to change colors.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:58 AM
evio
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts

Hello everyone, just back from PEC Atlanta. Quite a experience. Track time was great and the facility was first class. The ride back to philly was tough. 3 speeding tickets and a lot of heavy rain. 1500 miles in three days was too much. 4 way seats not that comfortable for that kind of driving. Love the car and the LTS ascot. The pics are posted from another rennlist member I met out there. I want to thank him for his hospitality.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:25 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,107 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by evio
Hello everyone, just back from PEC Atlanta. The ride back to philly was tough. 3 speeding tickets and a lot of heavy rain.
All of those forced stops must have really hurt your average speed!
That interior is lovely, BTW.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:14 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Yes Cedar Green was available on 993s - -at least initially. Interior Code is PX. It would only be LTS if it appeared as 99 on the hood sticker or window sticker.

Cedar Green was actually considered a "Special Leather Interior" -- at least in 1995 and 1996, alongside Flamenco Red and a couple variations of Provence Blue. Pricing for Cedar Green depended on several variables. Cedar Green interior Coupes were priced differently than Cabs and Targas. Turbo Coupes had their own special discounted pricing since full leather was already a standard option.
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (09-28-2019)
Old 12-27-2017, 12:19 AM
SockToy
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't think the deviated stitching is quite the rip we're implying... I'd guess that Porsche have a stock pipeline of the standard threads/colours ordered in from their suppliers and get bulk discount, benefits of production line fitting, etc.

Order near-unique combos with deviated leather or stitching, and suddenly you're paying for custom builds ,small scale orders, and people rather than machines fitting things.

Seems reasonable to drive a higher cost; the expense of a single bobbin on a custom sofa vs a custom fit on an otherwise standardised production line aren't really comparable.

If I'm right.

Quick Reply: The Leather to Sample Thread