The Leather to Sample Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 05:25 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Thanks drcollie.

I am a young(ish) man (30s) with older tastes.

I wonder what would happen to the analine leather in the king ranch if you soaked it in leatherique oil once or twice a year? After using it on my 993, I am tempted to try it on my nice furniture leather. I remember when those came out and I was in awe of the leather (even the earlier ones were nice leather), but also the price of the truck.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:34 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I have never used that product but none of my suppliers recommend anything like that, so I have no idea how it performs over time. I don't want to anger the mods here, but this is what I advise my customers on leather care (redirect to my site because I'm not going to re-type it all here):

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...for-all-brands

The aniline leather in the King Ranch would need a UV Blocker agent to prevent fade, then the trick would be to find one that didn't deteriorate the leather. I suppose you could put dark tint on all the windows as well - that would certainly slow it all down (fade) but you still have the dirt and soiling issues on pure aniline from hot, sweaty bodies and also blue denim transfer dye from blue jeans, etc.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:39 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Check out the interior on this in stock base car.https://porscheoftampa.com/inventory...tallic+1072437
Old 07-13-2017, 07:46 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry991
Check out the interior on this in stock base car.https://porscheoftampa.com/inventory...tallic+1072437
That's a really nice build, but not LTS.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:57 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

drcollie,

Thanks for the input again. You are definitely a resource for those who are thinking about a leather other than the standard automotive LTS leather options and better understanding leather and the options available.

My nice cars are garaged at home and work so I could probably get away with a full analine leather, but I doubt Porsche would approve it as I can't imagine it passing their tests (or even being able to be stretched to fit things like the dash). I will try the products your recommended. Leatherique has a cleaner as well as a thick oil and I have not seen anything quite like the oil before.

Jerry991

That is a leather/sporttex in graphite/chalk. A great color combo, but a stock offering from porsche. It is also available in two tone leather as recently ordered by another RL member from MN/MI.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:20 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

First, I received a nice invite from evio to see his car in person when it arrives and look forward to doing so. Ascot brown leather. I look forward to meeting you. Thanks again!

I also received a question from someone else about how colored leather of LTS would look with the black trim etc. that comes with LTS and what to order (or not).

I leave personal taste to picking the leather color (personally I think a bold color -- especially green -- leather would be amazing and if there was a natural leather available in green I probably would have selected it), but I will caution that if you do not order:

Extended Interior Package, Dashboard Trim in Leather | Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur $1,770

the trim at the front of the dashboard under the windscreen and in the center remains black and, well it looks, interesting (and probably not in a good way). This to me is a MUST ORDER with a colored leather. Exclusive provides the same advice.

Another item you may wish to consider is:

Air Vents in Leather | Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur $1,720

This covers the black and chrome colored air vents including the chrome color surrounds in the LTS leather. Air vents in leather leaves the surround unchanged. Thus, everything on the dash is the same color (minus the speaker grills). While not a must have, I would say it is a STRONGLY CONSIDER.

Yes, these are big ticket items, but you are getting "free" deviated stitching and better leather so I think they are worth the splurge if you go with a color leather LTS order (it comes colored to the leather color in a normal full leather car). As you can see from Keadog's pictures, with black natural LTS skipping them is no big deal as the standard trim is black.

The remaining available leather options (you can't get the door/dash/console trim or sport seat plus backs in leather with LTS and those are the other "big" pieces) are really more details and tend to be small parts that are likely to go unnoticed (except by those in the LTS know). Very nice small parts like the steering column or additional door trim, seat belt outlets, additional rear leather etc. (or the very expensive deviated stitching on the rear tunnel cover). The 3D configurator does a good job with showing all of these options (you may have to select a normal leather to see them, red shows the most contrast), where they are, and what they look like when selected or not. When you are done, click on the camera and play a movie of the interior and that should help too.

Last edited by evilfij; 07-16-2017 at 04:13 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:32 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evilfij

I leave personal taste to picking the leather color (personally I think a bold color -- especially green -- leather would be amazing and if there was a natural leather available in green I probably would have selected it)
When I was ordering (almost a year ago now), Natural Leather in Zeder (Cedar) was approved.

Not many pics online, but I THINK this is it.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:59 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keadog
When I was ordering (almost a year ago now), Natural Leather in Zeder (Cedar) was approved.

Not many pics online, but I THINK this is it.
That picture looks like Nephrite Green. [EDIT: it is likely Cedar Green and likely LTS (but not the Cedar on the current LTS list) especially because of the black steering wheel. There are, in fact, two Cedar leather interiors -- Cedar and Cedar Green.] I always thought Cedar natural was the panamera cedar leather which is a light tan and a natural leather. Here it is in two tone with cognac. But I don't know as my understanding was just a guess. [EDIT: cedar green was available on the 968 as a special leather. I will see if I can find out if it was available on 911 if I can. The pre-internet colors are much harder to find info on and google gives me 99% panameras.]

The one mistake I made is not going to visit exclusive to "play with the frogs" and leather samples. I could have memorized them all in an hour.
Attached Images  

Last edited by evilfij; 07-18-2017 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:20 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Based on the LTS list I have, the available greens are Nephrite (a 1997ish-early 2000s color on 993, 996 and 986 boxster), olive (not sure what/when but I think 928 era and shown on an LTS 930) and Palm (2005-??? 997, cayman, boxster). None are natural, but all are lovely (a traditional black/white/silver/grey 991 over LTS Palm I think would be particularly dashing with the black, accents, carpet and lower trim). Anyone who knows more or has a more current LTS list, please chime in (corrections and clarifications always welcome too).

Attached in order.
Attached Images    
Old 07-16-2017, 09:40 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Not on the LTS approved list and I am not sure what they are, but the RL user who posted them called them Jade and Mint (which both seem accurate to me).
Attached Images   
Old 07-17-2017, 12:09 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Confirmed from user Lapis that the attached is a CXX order of Zedar or Cedar leather and it is a light tan color.

Makes sense as this too is cedar (from today's mobile sawmill fun) and looks about the same color
Attached Images    
Old 07-17-2017, 09:18 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Well, that's not very green! That pic was from an old "sold" ad that listed it as Cedar LTS.
HA!
Great color combo on that RS BTW.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:11 PM
xgrimeyx
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

soooo you cant get dev. seat centers or dev. stitching on steering wheel without paying a crap load more on top of paying 5600 with the LTS correct?
Old 07-17-2017, 07:35 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xgrimeyx
soooo you cant get dev. seat centers or dev. stitching on steering wheel without paying a crap load more on top of paying 5600 with the LTS correct?
Correct on the steering wheel stitching. I have not asked about deviated seat centers.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:03 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Soooo it looks like there are two Cedar leather interior colors. More research pays off. Cedar (like the RS and panamera above) and Cedar Green like the 993 Keadog posted above.

I think the approved LTS color is the panamera cedar (light tan) because that is a natural leather.

Here is another reference to "Cedar Green" leather.

https://leathermagic.com/porsche-interior-colors/

Apologies to Keadog. We (I) are (am) still learning!

Here is a cedar green 968.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: The Leather to Sample Thread