Sponsored by:

The Leather to Sample Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 03:56 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I boldly went for black, so don't lose any sleep waiting. I'm just hoping it's a little darker than standard black leather. We'll see. The GT Silver stitching may make the contrast seem darker even if it isn't.
I definitely wanted natural leather if possible, but not Espresso or E/C with the bright green. The "free" deviated stitching made it a no brainer but it did add a loooong 3 months to the wait, eating into the best part of this driving season.
The free stitching with LTS is an interesting little oddity. The full standard leather and deviated stitching is around $7400 ? Your LTS with deviated is about the same ? Yet, you may choose any color and get a higher quality leather. (Plus a delay)

Seems like a good deal. Which isn't usually associated with Porsche. Did I miss something?
Old 07-08-2017, 04:57 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
The free stitching with LTS is an interesting little oddity. The full standard leather and deviated stitching is around $7400 ? Your LTS with deviated is about the same ? Yet, you may choose any color and get a higher quality leather. (Plus a delay)

Seems like a good deal. Which isn't usually associated with Porsche. Did I miss something?
It's a reasonably new thing. My thought is that exclusive wants to sell you a bunch of additional leather which then you have to put on the deviating stitiching to match. And, to be clear, unless you add additional leather pieces, it is included in the $5600 cost.

I keep thinking Agate Grey stitiching would look nice and subtle, maybe even Agate Grey deviating carpet too, but then I am like "just because it is free does not mean you have to get it."

Last edited by evilfij; 07-11-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:29 PM
STKDoctor
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this is relevant - but I had inquired about having Bordeaux Red removed and GARNETT RED added to the Turbo im about to order.

Garnet is a widely selected option on the Macan, so I figured it would be an easy swap as it's widely available. I also like how Garnett is more 'bright and sporty' than the more wine like Bordeaux.

Anyway, Porsche's answer surprised me (moreso the price!)
This is what they said...
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2017, 07:35 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14

That's about right. When I inquired, I was told deviated stitching in any standard thread color when opting for LTS was no extra charge "saving approximately $4,000.00". My motivation was I really wanted a natural leather interior to get select, full thickness hides, and I didn't want the two standard natural leather colors available. On balance, I decided it was worth waiting another 3 months (after already being delayed 3 months for PTS).
Old 07-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

That's about right. When I inquired, I was told deviated stitching in any standard thread color when opting for LTS was no extra charge "saving approximately $4,000.00". My motivation was I really wanted a natural leather interior to get select, full thickness hides, and I didn't want the two standard natural leather colors available. On balance, I decided it was worth waiting another 3 months (after already being delayed 3 months for PTS).
Looking forward to seeing it. Probably not as much as you though, after the wait. I'm very curious about your thoughts on the black leather.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:27 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

I'm treating my interior like a box of chocolates - I hope to look inside in a week or so and see exactly what's in there.
One little tidbit I picked up is that on a cabriolet (as per the description on the configurator), the A pillar trim is leather with a leather interior so I assume the same holds true with LTS. On a coupe it is not as it is alcanta and on a targa if you look very carefully at the configurator pictures it is shown as smooth leather (there is no reference in the configurator as to what the A pillar is on a targa).

Of course, the LTS configurator pics for both a cab and targa show the panels as black (not the LTS green). In order coupe interior (showing alcantara a pillar), targa interior (showing leather a pillar) and targa and cab LTS pics. Compare these to post #24 where you see the coupe LTS configurator picture (showing alcantara).

TLDR: Keadog, your a pillars will be leather, whether they are black natural leather or not will be interesting to see.
Attached Images     

Last edited by evilfij; 07-11-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:19 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Paid a visit to the car today. Waiting for ALP install. Took some pics of the LTS natural black interior. It seems very smooth, but not really a very deep black as I was hoping. Very glad I got the GT Silver stitching - the contrast really helps with the look IMO. So, for me, still a very good buy over regular black leather.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:47 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Congrats!

I really like the smooth finish.

Any surprises other than it not being dark enough black? Does it smell like natural leather?
Old 07-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evilfij
Congrats!

I really like the smooth finish.

Any surprises other than it not being dark enough black? Does it smell like natural leather?
Thanks. My sense of smell not good enough to notice with car outside and roof open. SA said it smells "different" and "really good" to him.
I'm surprised how much I like the stitching. I have no regrets, but I might have kept the extended dash package Yana suggested if I had known how nice the contrasting stitching would look. $1800 seemed absurd at the time though and I'm OK with it the way it is.
I'm really glad I paid for the rear center tunnel in leather - that stitching really pops.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:43 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

.... I'm really glad I paid for the rear center tunnel in leather - that stitching really pops.
I think you just paid $1190 for that stitching. I am glad you like it!

It says for regular full leather, that the center rear tunnel is in leather. Then it is $1190 for deviating stitching which also includes the center console if you spec it (which you did in your order), but the center console also comes with the extended deviated stitching. See below.

Leather Interior in Black

Includes:•Covered in Black Smooth-Finish Leather
- Front seat centers, seat bolsters, headrests and backrest shells
- Steering wheel rim and airbag module
- Gearshift lever or PDK gear selector
- Center console storage compartment lid and side section
- Dashboard top incl. instrument cluster cover
- Dashboard bottom incl. glove compartment lid
- Door handles, armrests and paneling incl. top section
- Door panel inserts
- Rear seat centers, bolsters and side paneling
- Rear center tunnel cover
- A-pillar (Cabriolet)

Rear Center Tunnel in Leather with Decorative Stitching $1190

Includes:•Covered in Smooth-Finish Leather with Decorative Stitching
- Center tunnel cover in rear
- Center console storage compartment lid

Also, it is clear you got the full "Extended Interior Package with Stitching in Deviated Thread" minus the steering wheel $3500

Dashboard upper section, upper section of door trims, door center panels, door armrests, door pulls, steering wheel, storage compartment lid, seats front and rear, and rear side panels with decorative stitching in deviated thread. Decorative stitching available in Black, Luxor Beige, Agate Grey, Saddle Brown, Graphite Blue, Bordeaux Red, Espresso, Cognac, Chalk, Guards Red, Racing Yellow, Acid Green, Lava Orange, Pebble Grey, GT Silver, and Cream.

All in it looks like $3500 in deviated stitching included with LTS, but you don't get the rear tunnel with deviated. Maybe I will get mine with Agate Grey. At the very least I should add it to the build in case they change their mind. I think the GT Silver deviated stitching looks great, but maybe a bit too light for me with the wood.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:04 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

I'm in the leather furniture business and while I enjoy reading this thread, there are some inaccuracies in the reference posts being use as a guideline. If you want to read up on leather types, which apply to furniture or cars, I spent quite a bit of time putting this together for my customers to sort out the different types - it may help you get an understanding of the types of hides.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-FORUM-lt-READ

BTW, pure aniline hides are terrible for automobiles because they fade at a much higher rate than a finished hide or semi-aniline. I would never put a pure aniline in a vehicle due to UV exposure (plus they stain easier). Even Aston Martin and Bentley don't go beyond semi-anilines, which have a pigmented top coat. I haven't really examined Porsche's "Natural" leather, but I would imagine it's a high level semi-aniline due to that fade issue. Just an FYI.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:51 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

drcollie thanks!

We (I) are all learning as we go and all input and corrections are welcomed.

I have added your link to the first post in this thread (I edit as I go with little notes that say "[EDIT]"). I am not in the leather furniture business, but I do love and collect leather furniture (do others do this?) and your posts are about the best summary I have ever read. I have some lovely pieces from the manufactures you recommend (Hancock and Moore and Leathercraft as well as others). May I ask you whether you think a pull-up leather is suitable for an automotive interior? My sense was no so I did not ask exclusive if I could get pull-up (in black of course) on a true to sample LTS order, but it is my favorite leather for furniture (in spite of the staggering cost -- the upcharge for one couch can be equal to the Porsche LTS option cost)! Also, do you have a sense of what Porsche "Club Leather" I referenced in the edit to the first post is?

On a side note, the cat while stretching (not intentional as she attempts to do with my antique rugs sometimes) left claw marks on my pull-up leather last night. I rubbed it for a few seconds and they disappeared! I wished that worked on automotive leather.

Last edited by evilfij; 07-13-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:38 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

I don't want to hijack this thread too much, however I will tell you your Hancock and Moore is the best leather furniture maker in the industry - good pick there.

A pull-up leather is not going to be satisfactory in a vehicle interior, its a pure aniline leather that has been wax infused to show color bursts in response to pressure. The best pull-ups come out of Italy, an there are a few South American tanneries doing them as well - but the Italian hides are bellissimo!

Yes, by rubbing a pull-up leather with your hand, you are putting heat and pressure back into the hide and the marks will fade as that action is re-flowing the waxes in the leather.

Cars have to have finished or semi-aniline leathers in the interior. Never go with a pure aniline and I will show you why. Ford put pure aniline hides in their King Ranch Series F series pickups from 2004 to 2008. When I saw they did that I thought HUGE MISTAKE. And it was. Buyers were treated to a wonderful leather when new, but look what happened to most all of them. The Ford forums have rants all over them about the this leather. This is typical sun fade from a pure aniline look at how severe the fade is - and this is probably about three years worth, it will get worse. Notice the stains on the center console from opening the lid - those are from fingers opening the lid and those stains will not come out.

Another - look at the soiling (its not worn out as in the comments, its soiled from sweat and body oils)

Indian Motorcycles did it to, on the saddlebags of the Vintage Chief series, look what happens to them as well, this bag is probably a year old next to a one the owner refurbished with a burnishing kit:

Almost all leathers in cars and trucks are Finished hides, and they need to be. For an upgrade, you can go with a semi-aniline, and that's what I expect Porsche's better hides to be. It would be a disaster to put any pure aniline in a car interior. I don't know what the Porsche Club Leather is (I just have the base standard leather in my 991) but it someone wanted to send me a small sample, I can easily identify the type.

Duane

Last edited by drcollie; 07-13-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:30 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evilfij
I think you just paid $1190 for that stitching. I am glad you like it!

It says for regular full leather, that the center rear tunnel is in leather. Then it is $1190 for deviating stitching which also includes the center console if you spec it (which you did in your order), but the center console also comes with the extended deviated stitching. See below.

Leather Interior in Black

Includes:•Covered in Black Smooth-Finish Leather
- Front seat centers, seat bolsters, headrests and backrest shells
- Steering wheel rim and airbag module
- Gearshift lever or PDK gear selector
- Center console storage compartment lid and side section
- Dashboard top incl. instrument cluster cover
- Dashboard bottom incl. glove compartment lid
- Door handles, armrests and paneling incl. top section
- Door panel inserts
- Rear seat centers, bolsters and side paneling
- Rear center tunnel cover
- A-pillar (Cabriolet)

Rear Center Tunnel in Leather with Decorative Stitching $1190

Includes:•Covered in Smooth-Finish Leather with Decorative Stitching
- Center tunnel cover in rear
- Center console storage compartment lid

Also, it is clear you got the full "Extended Interior Package with Stitching in Deviated Thread" minus the steering wheel $3500

Dashboard upper section, upper section of door trims, door center panels, door armrests, door pulls, steering wheel, storage compartment lid, seats front and rear, and rear side panels with decorative stitching in deviated thread. Decorative stitching available in Black, Luxor Beige, Agate Grey, Saddle Brown, Graphite Blue, Bordeaux Red, Espresso, Cognac, Chalk, Guards Red, Racing Yellow, Acid Green, Lava Orange, Pebble Grey, GT Silver, and Cream.

All in it looks like $3500 in deviated stitching included with LTS, but you don't get the rear tunnel with deviated. Maybe I will get mine with Agate Grey. At the very least I should add it to the build in case they change their mind. I think the GT Silver deviated stitching looks great, but maybe a bit too light for me with the wood.
I thought I spent a lot of time on this, but I believe you have outdone me. I guess it doesn't matter at this point, but I do think the center tunnel looks great. If I had been paying closer attention, I probably would have skipped it!
I was quoted $4700 for stitching on the steering wheel. I remember because i LOLed on the couch when I opened the email.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:35 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
I'm in the leather furniture business and while I enjoy reading this thread, there are some inaccuracies in the reference posts being use as a guideline. If you want to read up on leather types, which apply to furniture or cars, I spent quite a bit of time putting this together for my customers to sort out the different types - it may help you get an understanding of the types of hides.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-FORUM-lt-READ

BTW, pure aniline hides are terrible for automobiles because they fade at a much higher rate than a finished hide or semi-aniline. I would never put a pure aniline in a vehicle due to UV exposure (plus they stain easier). Even Aston Martin and Bentley don't go beyond semi-anilines, which have a pigmented top coat. I haven't really examined Porsche's "Natural" leather, but I would imagine it's a high level semi-aniline due to that fade issue. Just an FYI.
Good read, thanks. I have a H&M recliner in my office and like it a lot. Many young people don't care AT ALL about quality furniture based on my experience with our two kids (both in their early 30s). We have H&M, Karges, Stickley, etc and when we croak, they'll throw out what they can't sell for pennies on the dollar. Zero interest in anything we have along those lines. Maybe it's just a phase?

Quick Reply: The Leather to Sample Thread