Sponsored by:

HPDE Tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 05:15 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by unibrain
A little follow up after the trackday. Hot pressures of 36R/33F worked well. The tires never got greasy and had a fair amount of grip. The rise from warm pressure was 5-6lbs on a 85 degree day.

All in all I was quite impressed with the car on the track. It had enough grunt, it stuck, and it stopped well. If I do more track days I think I'd want a more aggressive pad but all in all the stock ones worked well.
So you started at 28/31 cold? I start w 29/33 and see 38/41 after a 25 mins session at 85F OAT. The 41 is a bit greasy but any less and the edge of the rear tires take a "beating"! I drive to/from DEs on my track wheels/tires (currently Pzero but switching to Conti Extreme Contact Sport soon). Also, at my experience (instructor/A group) the stock pads don't cut it. Clark @ Apex recommended Padgit PS-29 (yellow) which I like except they do squeak towards the end of light braking around town. Slotted vs drilled rotors are also better for the track heat cycles. FYI.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:21 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
thankfully our cars have a TPMS built into the MFD.
Keep in mind Porsche TPMS typically runs 2 psi low, meaning if it shows 33, it's actually 35. Could be different, so it pays to compare against a calibrated gauge. I don't like anything above 35 hot, but it's largely a personal matter... but it still pays to play to find the optimum setting for your car and performance level.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:47 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
So you started at 28/31 cold? I start w 29/33 and see 38/41 after a 25 mins session at 85F OAT. The 41 is a bit greasy but any less and the edge of the rear tires take a "beating"! I drive to/from DEs on my track wheels/tires (currently Pzero but switching to Conti Extreme Contact Sport soon). Also, at my experience (instructor/A group) the stock pads don't cut it. Clark @ Apex recommended Padgit PS-29 (yellow) which I like except they do squeak towards the end of light braking around town. Slotted vs drilled rotors are also better for the track heat cycles. FYI.
Funny but you just described my problem with the MPSS. If the pressure was on the low side it would roll the tire and chew into the shoulder, and if I had the pressures on the high side they were quite greasy. This made it very hard to balance the pressures because the acceptable window wasn't very large. MPSC2 solved that problem

BTW +1 on the slotted rotors.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:57 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Keep in mind Porsche TPMS typically runs 2 psi low, meaning if it shows 33, it's actually 35. Could be different, so it pays to compare against a calibrated gauge. I don't like anything above 35 hot, but it's largely a personal matter... but it still pays to play to find the optimum setting for your car and performance level.
Mine are within 1 psi of my Longacre gauge, which is plenty good for a quick check going down the straight. Remember, our TPMS will not read certain pressures like 33, 37, 41, etc (I think that was them) due to the bar to psi conversion in the system. So it could alarm you by showing one tire at 36 and the other 38 when in reality they could differ by less than 0.5 psi (i.e. 36.4 shows 36 while 36.7 shows 38).

If you've checked your TPMS against a gauge you trust and they are off by +2 psi then you are good to go, just remember to apply your adjustments (the -2 plus knowing the bar to psi round off) when you check the TPMS on a straight.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:59 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
Funny but you just described my problem with the MPSS. If the pressure was on the low side it would roll the tire and chew into the shoulder, and if I had the pressures on the high side they were quite greasy. This made it very hard to balance the pressures because the acceptable window wasn't very large. MPSC2 solved that problem
This is largely accurate - on PZero N1 I start at 28-29/32-33 and monitor closely. They are a road tire and need the air to keep the sidewall in shape.

very different kettle of fish to track crossover tires or dedicated track tires which have very stiff sidewalls - thus you drop the temp before you start and then build to operating temperature.

OP - Do not deflate road tires for/prior to track use - its an internet myth and will simply destroy your sidewalls and shoulders quick smart.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:45 AM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Just came back from a DE weekend. Thanks to the collective knowledge on tire pressure we had an easy time.

Running P Zeros. Started with cold 30F /32R (car was at track overnight). Let them warm up and then bled to 35F / 38R right after the session and kept to those pressures. They definitely get slippery when they get over 40 psi or so or overheat.

Will replace them with PS4s when they are used up.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:48 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

I have a 2014 Carrera S with Pirelli Pzero and have my first track day with this car on Friday. I am trying to find out starting target hot tire pressures.

I have a lot of experience in light cars (various Lotus) and a Cayman S. The 911 will be the heaviest and highest HP car I’ve driven and am looking for a good starting point.

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance
Get yourself an infrared temperature gun (HF sells them cheap). The air pressure you want varies depending on the track and temperature. Start at a higher value, for example 34/40. After a few laps, pull in and measure the temperature with the infrared gun on the width of the tire. Take 3 reading between the inside, middle and outer edge where it contacts the pavement. Over inflation will give you a higher reading in the middle grooves, whereas under inflation will show higher reading on the inside and outside grooves. You want your temperature between the inner, center and outer tire thread to be the same. This way you are getting full grip for the track, car and temperature for that day. The ideal air pressure is quite dynamic and you want to adjust it accordingly.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:00 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
I've never seen TPMS readings that were more than 1 psi off from my Longacre gauge, and even that is rare.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:26 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
that was very similar to what I saw as well. Will be switching to PS4s when the zeros are gone and ordered the Padgits yesterday. Spotted rotors will go on when the current ones are toast.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:00 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

A little follow up after the trackday. Hot pressures of 36R/33F worked well. The tires never got greasy and had a fair amount of grip. The rise from warm pressure was 5-6lbs on a 85 degree day.

All in all I was quite impressed with the car on the track. It had enough grunt, it stuck, and it stopped well. If I do more track days I think I'd want a more aggressive pad but all in all the stock ones worked well.
Five gold stars for you. One for concentrating on hot pressure. One gold star for ignoring cold pressure, and another for mentioning the increase from warm and ambient temp. You get a fourth gold star for winding up pretty darn close to perfect. And I award your fifth and final gold star for pointing out the tires running at this temp held their grip all day long.

My only quibble is the greasy comment, which can't be helped really, that is just the way everyone talks. Tires of course do not get greasy. They get hard and lose traction however when they get overinflated, something that happens all the time to guys who go by the cold pressure they set in the morning instead of the one they are actually running on the track. Which is the only one that counts. Which you totally get.

Well done.

Quick Reply: HPDE Tire pressure