Question about AWE Switchpath and PSE 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 06:54 PM
JEllis
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Question about AWE Switchpath and PSE 991.1

Hey,

So I think most of us can agree that the OE PSE on the 991.1 sounds great in sport mode. I find myself always driving with the valves open. I have looked at a few of the switch path style exhausts that eliminate the center mufflers. Based one what I know about the PSE system, my theory is that exhausts like the AWE switch path, combined with PSE, would sound similar to the PSE in sport mode with the valves closed and EXTRA LOUD with the valves open.

My desire is to have my quiet mode sound like PSE with the valves open and then have an option for EXTRA LOUND. I feel like the AWE switch path would do the trick.

Anyone with PSE add the AWE switch path center section and care to comment on my thoughts?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 03-17-2018, 07:22 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,406 Likes on 825 Posts

Some vids and info were posted here which might help

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...h-today-2.html

If you need pricing or assistance please dont hesitate to shoot a PM over

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

Old 03-18-2018, 12:04 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,197 Likes on 1,481 Posts

If you like and enjoy booming in the cockpit then any of the center-removal muffler bypasses will accomodate you. There are so many threads on this that are in depth - use the search function.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:35 AM
ajeffrey10
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
If you like and enjoy booming in the cockpit then any of the center-removal muffler bypasses will accomodate you. There are so many threads on this that are in depth - use the search function.
^^^^+1

Tubi style
Old 03-18-2018, 10:54 AM
JEllis
Pro

Read many threads, including yours. I am asking some specific questions about the functionality of the PSE and systems that remove the center mufflers.

You see, based on the diagrams of the PSE, which I have on my car, the center mufflers are bypassed when the valves are open, using a combo of straight through and the side mufflers. The switch path, unless I am mistaken and thus the purpose of this thread, would force a combo of straight through and side mufflers when the valves are closed. Now, with the valves open, the switch path is basically a completely straight through, non resonated system.

That being said, I have read a lot of threads that state the AWE switch path is as quiet as stock with the valves closed. Stock as in PSE with the valves closed or stock as in PSE with the valves open??? I would think the latter but since its never specifically addressed, I am asking the question. My thoughts are that since the AWE system completely removes the center mufflers of the PSE, that it should sound very similar to PSE in sport with the valves closed (in quiet mode) and extremely loud with the valves open since its basically a straight through system at that point.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:13 AM
MHarris
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a AWE SwitchPath on a 15 GTS-MT and think it strikes a good balance with "quiet" mode very close to stock below 5000 RPM. in Sport Plus the sound in generally louder with a more biting GT3 bark on throttle transition. I'm a fairly conservative 50 something and I like it. But, I think Porsche missed it a bit by programming in so much belching on lagging throttle.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:53 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I get ZERO drone with IPE.

Have been in AWE car and there is drone.

Design, design, design....
Old 03-18-2018, 11:55 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,197 Likes on 1,481 Posts

I think you will have to decide which thread you deem viable. Some praise the center-muffler-delete systems, others (like me) absolutely hate it. It all depends on what you want out of the car. Kind of like Harley's (of which I own one of those, too). Some owners think loud is great, others (like me) think the boom is annoying to everyone around - including the operator. The most humorous part of the Harley owners are the guys that say straight-through sounds GREAT - but they have to wear earplugs when they ride to keep from going deaf ????????

I have a good friend who works for Fiat / Chrysler as an exhaust/emissions engineer and he's a big Porsche fan as well (doesn't own one yet). We got into some very interesting discussions regarding the 991 exhaust and he says it's a brilliant design that was very difficult to engineer. The car has the engine in the rear so there is literally no room to work with in getting a viable design in the amount of space they have to work with, verus a front-engined car which gives them space to dissipate and dampen sound. He tells me the center muffler is necessary to control resonance and boom, and literally laughed when I mentioned the center-delete options out there. He said "Well, that's one way to F*K up your nice car".

Did I listen to him? No I did not. I bought the AWE Switchpath for my 991S and installed it because they had a money-back guarantee and I wasn't sure he was 100% right. He WAS right. I had it on the car for 1-day and removed it and returned it. TAG motorsports (seller) and AWE did honor the refund, so props to them for that. All I was out was the 2-way shipping. So try it - maybe you will like it. They still have their guarantee and you can put it on yourself in under an hour once the car is on the jacks, it's not hard. If you like it - then you are golden.

For me, it was way too boomy and loud, even at low rpm's to the point I could not enjoy the stereo or use my bluetooth on the phone. I did buy a Tubi Cat Back exhaust for 4x the price of the AWE and its perfect - that gives you what you are seeking. My engineer pal said with a grin "Now you did it the right way." He was right again.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:56 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JEllis
Read many threads, including yours. I am asking some specific questions about the functionality of the PSE and systems that remove the center mufflers.

You see, based on the diagrams of the PSE, which I have on my car, the center mufflers are bypassed when the valves are open, using a combo of straight through and the side mufflers. The switch path, unless I am mistaken and thus the purpose of this thread, would force a combo of straight through and side mufflers when the valves are closed. Now, with the valves open, the switch path is basically a completely straight through, non resonated system.

That being said, I have read a lot of threads that state the AWE switch path is as quiet as stock with the valves closed. Stock as in PSE with the valves closed or stock as in PSE with the valves open??? I would think the latter but since its never specifically addressed, I am asking the question. My thoughts are that since the AWE system completely removes the center mufflers of the PSE, that it should sound very similar to PSE in sport with the valves closed (in quiet mode) and extremely loud with the valves open since its basically a straight through system at that point.
These exhausts are a little more complex than straight pipes - or else they would all around the same with the valves open. But your theory is correct outside of that.

Even with race headers.... valves closed was pretty docile. The aftermarket systems are significantly more polarizing between the 2 modes.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:39 PM
JEllis
Pro

I think you will have to decide which thread you deem viable. Some praise the center-muffler-delete systems, others (like me) absolutely hate it. It all depends on what you want out of the car. Kind of like Harley's (of which I own one of those, too). Some owners think loud is great, others (like me) think the boom is annoying to everyone around - including the operator. The most humorous part of the Harley owners are the guys that say straight-through sounds GREAT - but they have to wear earplugs when they ride to keep from going deaf ????????

I have a good friend who works for Fiat / Chrysler as an exhaust/emissions engineer and he's a big Porsche fan as well (doesn't own one yet). We got into some very interesting discussions regarding the 991 exhaust and he says it's a brilliant design that was very difficult to engineer. The car has the engine in the rear so there is literally no room to work with in getting a viable design in the amount of space they have to work with, verus a front-engined car which gives them space to dissipate and dampen sound. He tells me the center muffler is necessary to control resonance and boom, and literally laughed when I mentioned the center-delete options out there. He said "Well, that's one way to F*K up your nice car".

Did I listen to him? No I did not. I bought the AWE Switchpath for my 991S and installed it because they had a money-back guarantee and I wasn't sure he was 100% right. He WAS right. I had it on the car for 1-day and removed it and returned it. TAG motorsports (seller) and AWE did honor the refund, so props to them for that. All I was out was the 2-way shipping. So try it - maybe you will like it. They still have their guarantee and you can put it on yourself in under an hour once the car is on the jacks, it's not hard. If you like it - then you are golden.

For me, it was way too boomy and loud, even at low rpm's to the point I could not enjoy the stereo or use my bluetooth on the phone. I did buy a Tubi Cat Back exhaust for 4x the price of the AWE and its perfect - that gives you what you are seeking. My engineer pal said with a grin "Now you did it the right way." He was right again.
Yeah, I remember reading that in one of your threads and it makes sense. Only issue with that statement is that PSE bypasses the center mufflers in sport mode which uses a combo of the side mufflers and non-resonated exhaust gasses to achieve the sportier tone... which I love but I would rather have it as the "base mode" and have "super duper loud" as an occasional option. If memory serves, you do not have the PSE functionality on your car and so we are not talking apples to apples since the PSE technically has two small center mufflers that can be bypassed by the system. I am specifically trying to compare:

PSE valves open vs. AWE switch path valves closed... on paper they should be virtually the same ish....

Originally Posted by R_Rated
These exhausts are a little more complex than straight pipes - or else they would all around the same with the valves open. But your theory is correct outside of that.

Even with race headers.... valves closed was pretty docile. The aftermarket systems are significantly more polarizing between the 2 modes.
Good point
Old 03-18-2018, 01:51 PM
RON1X
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the AWE Switchpath for my 991S and installed it because they had a money-back guarantee and I wasn't sure he was 100% right. He WAS right. I had it on the car for 1-day and removed it and returned it. TAG motorsports (seller) and AWE did honor the refund, so props to them for that. All I was out was the 2-way shipping. So try it - maybe you will like it. They still have their guarantee and you can put it on yourself in under an hour once the car is on the jacks, it's not hard. If you like it - then you are golden.

For me, it was way too boomy and loud, even at low rpm's to the point I could not enjoy the stereo or use my bluetooth on the phone.
Interesting to read this. I too ordered the AWE from TAG ~1 year ago, and I ended up in the most frustrating buying experience of my life... I've never made a post on my experience because I was so sick of thinking about it and dealing with it, but after I drove the car 100 yards from my tuning shop after the install, the drone was ridiculous and ruined everything I loved about enjoying the car. I honestly couldn't believe I'd read so many positive comments on the system, and felt like I'd received a damaged product. I had friends, and technicians ride in the car and they thought it sounded like some cheap Borla system for a domestic car, and said they would never even think about keeping it on either after the drone kicked in 3200rpm. I couldn't get TAG or AWE to fully honor the sound satisfaction guarantee that they advertised, and ultimately why I felt so safe purchasing the product. After weeks of back and forth (literally), I ended up discussing legal ramifications with the president of AWE as they continually refused to FULLY pay for the install/ removal of the system as their guarantee states:
"AWE Tuning is offering an unprecedented return or replace policy for this system. In the unlikely event that you don’t love the sound of the AWE Tuning Porsche 991 Carrera Performance Exhaust for any reason, you have thirty-days after purchase to replace it or return it, and we’ll cover your labor to remove the system, put your stock system back on, even the labor retroactively for the initial install." (just pulled that from their website)

I am a lawyer, and truly hated to even bring it up, but I was being treated like a child. I have all of the email correspondence on this, I sent tons of videos, and despite having screen shots of their advertising language, I ultimately felt like no one thought my car was droning despite my offer to take the car to ANY shop of their choosing. Ultimately, I was reimbursed for part of the shop labor costs and I was ready to be done with the experience, but obviously I will never order an AWE product again. For context, I had the Tubi system on my 997.2 and it was 10/10 Amazing, the Europipe on my 997.1 Turbo that was quite loud and I'd also had aftermarket exhausts on some M cars.

Immediately after my experience with AWE, I installed the PSE, was VERY happy with it. I just recently wanted to try a louder system and found on Rennlist a Soul Performance exhaust barely used. I still have the PSE button to use with the Soul exhaust, but I can tell you, it does have some level of drone (which I'd read about), but damn it sounds so good I don't care. It is very aggressive in Sport mode and barks and crackles like crazy, which some people would find probably too much.

As others have said, the gross majority of the aftermarket systems seem to be quite different at low rpms vs when the valves open. I would love to experience a Tubi on the 991.1S
Old 03-18-2018, 03:01 PM
ajeffrey10
Racer

Originally Posted by RON1X
Interesting to read this. I too ordered the AWE from TAG ~1 year ago, and I ended up in the most frustrating buying experience of my life... I've never made a post on my experience because I was so sick of thinking about it and dealing with it, but after I drove the car 100 yards from my tuning shop after the install, the drone was ridiculous and ruined everything I loved about enjoying the car. I honestly couldn't believe I'd read so many positive comments on the system, and felt like I'd received a damaged product. I had friends, and technicians ride in the car and they thought it sounded like some cheap Borla system for a domestic car, and said they would never even think about keeping it on either after the drone kicked in 3200rpm. I couldn't get TAG or AWE to fully honor the sound satisfaction guarantee that they advertised, and ultimately why I felt so safe purchasing the product. After weeks of back and forth (literally), I ended up discussing legal ramifications with the president of AWE as they continually refused to FULLY pay for the install/ removal of the system as their guarantee states:
"AWE Tuning is offering an unprecedented return or replace policy for this system. In the unlikely event that you don’t love the sound of the AWE Tuning Porsche 991 Carrera Performance Exhaust for any reason, you have thirty-days after purchase to replace it or return it, and we’ll cover your labor to remove the system, put your stock system back on, even the labor retroactively for the initial install." (just pulled that from their website)

I am a lawyer, and truly hated to even bring it up, but I was being treated like a child. I have all of the email correspondence on this, I sent tons of videos, and despite having screen shots of their advertising language, I ultimately felt like no one thought my car was droning despite my offer to take the car to ANY shop of their choosing. Ultimately, I was reimbursed for part of the shop labor costs and I was ready to be done with the experience, but obviously I will never order an AWE product again. For context, I had the Tubi system on my 997.2 and it was 10/10 Amazing, the Europipe on my 997.1 Turbo that was quite loud and I'd also had aftermarket exhausts on some M cars.

Immediately after my experience with AWE, I installed the PSE, was VERY happy with it. I just recently wanted to try a louder system and found on Rennlist a Soul Performance exhaust barely used. I still have the PSE button to use with the Soul exhaust, but I can tell you, it does have some level of drone (which I'd read about), but damn it sounds so good I don't care. It is very aggressive in Sport mode and barks and crackles like crazy, which some people would find probably too much.

As others have said, the gross majority of the aftermarket systems seem to be quite different at low rpms vs when the valves open. I would love to experience a Tubi on the 991.1S
All I can attest to is the quality of Tubi Style. Per drcollie’s previous posts, I went that way on my non-PSE C2S. The Tubi looks great and sounds remarkable. It’s definitely louder than stock at idle and exhilarating with valves open. No drone. It’s exactly like stock at highway speeds with valves closed. No need for the PSE button, imo.

I don’t know how it would be different on a PSE car, but I’d venture to say no one would be disappointed by adding a Tubi Style exhaust.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:28 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

A general rule of thumb I try to follow when modifying car exhausts is to not to cancel out mufflers. Rarely if ever it turns out to be a good mod, almost never better than a properly engineered, properly muffled, resonated system.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:43 PM
JEllis
Pro

Originally Posted by RON1X

So the Soul performance exhaust is another center muffler delete system. Extremely similar to AWE switch path.

Again, comparing experiences between non PSE and PSE enabled systems is not apples to apples since the logic in the systems isn't the same and there is no manual way to control the valves on the non PSE cars. With non PSE cars, you are basically getting a combo of quiet and extra loud that cannot be controlled.

How does the Soul performance sound with the valves closed compared to your OE PSE with valves closed/open?

Jason
Old 03-18-2018, 05:32 PM
ajeffrey10
Racer

Originally Posted by JEllis
So the Soul performance exhaust is another center muffler delete system. Extremely similar to AWE switch path.

Again, comparing experiences between non PSE and PSE enabled systems is not apples to apples since the logic in the systems isn't the same and there is no manual way to control the valves on the non PSE cars. With non PSE cars, you are basically getting a combo of quiet and extra loud that cannot be controlled.

How does the Soul performance sound with the valves closed compared to your OE PSE with valves closed/open?

Jason
You are correct re: difference between PSE and non-PSE-equipped car logic. That said, based on my experience with Tubi It doesn’t matter I.e. there is no need to ever manually close the valves. The exhaust is simply never too loud or obnoxious. This is clearly a subjective statement, but I’m pretty conservative and have owned/driven performance cars for 30+ years. It’s a wonderful balance without the gimmekry

Quick Reply: Question about AWE Switchpath and PSE 991.1