Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How well does the 991.2 C4 GTS handle? Here is some data.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 06:55 PM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How well does the 991.2 C4 GTS handle? Here is some data.

Sport Auto recently tested the 991.2 C4 GTS coupe at the 'ring and got a time of 7'23.77". This is certainly a good time, but let's do some comparisons. I am taking the data for this analysis from fastestlaps.com. This site may not be perfectly accurate, but seems like it is generally in the ballpark with its data.

First, let's look at the horsepower of the cars that are faster or almost as fast on the 'ring. I exclude small production, marginally street-legal cars like the KTM, Radical, and Donkervoort. The GTS is rated by Porsche at 450 HP, which I think is fairly accurate. According to fastestlap.com, every car that has a better 'ring time has at least 500 HP, and in most cases much more than 500 HP. In fact, the only faster cars with "just" 500 HP are GT3s. The first car on the list with less than 500 HP (other than another GT3) is a Nissan GT-R from a few years back rated at 480 HP and we all know that Nissan intentionally underrated those cars. Even so, that Nissan was slower, completing the 'ring in 7'26.7". This data alone makes the GTS look fairly impressive, but wait, there's more.

Second, let's look at power to weight ratios. Just to be clear, fastestlaps.com has the wrong weight for the GTS. The weight listed is for the C2. Porsche lists the weight of the C4 GTS as about 27 kilos heavier. Regardless, I'll use the power and weight figures listed by fastestlaps.com. The GTS has a less favorable power to weight ratio than all of the faster 'ring cars, including the borderline street-legal models. In addition, we don't see a car on the list with a less favorable power to weight ratio until we get down to the 991.1 C2S with a 'ring time of 7'34".

At least to me, this suggests that the 991.2 C4 GTS must handle extremely well to keep up with and in many cases surpass much more powerful cars that have more favorable power to weight ratios. The GTS must be making up time in the corners as it cannot keep up with these more powerful cars on the straights.

Just my thoughts (which are quite happy since I just acquired a 991.2 C4 GTS ;-).
Old 06-25-2017, 08:20 PM
quattr0
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No doubt its a sweet machine. My C2 on Dynojet shows 353whp so i doubt gts is 450bhp.

Enjoy!!!
Old 06-26-2017, 07:42 AM
acey81
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Ira Blumberg
Sport Auto recently tested the 991.2 C4 GTS coupe at the 'ring and got a time of 7'23.77". This is certainly a good time, but let's do some comparisons. I am taking the data for this analysis from fastestlaps.com. This site may not be perfectly accurate, but seems like it is generally in the ballpark with its data.

First, let's look at the horsepower of the cars that are faster or almost as fast on the 'ring. I exclude small production, marginally street-legal cars like the KTM, Radical, and Donkervoort. The GTS is rated by Porsche at 450 HP, which I think is fairly accurate. According to fastestlap.com, every car that has a better 'ring time has at least 500 HP, and in most cases much more than 500 HP. In fact, the only faster cars with "just" 500 HP are GT3s. The first car on the list with less than 500 HP (other than another GT3) is a Nissan GT-R from a few years back rated at 480 HP and we all know that Nissan intentionally underrated those cars. Even so, that Nissan was slower, completing the 'ring in 7'26.7". This data alone makes the GTS look fairly impressive, but wait, there's more.

Second, let's look at power to weight ratios. Just to be clear, fastestlaps.com has the wrong weight for the GTS. The weight listed is for the C2. Porsche lists the weight of the C4 GTS as about 27 kilos heavier. Regardless, I'll use the power and weight figures listed by fastestlaps.com. The GTS has a less favorable power to weight ratio than all of the faster 'ring cars, including the borderline street-legal models. In addition, we don't see a car on the list with a less favorable power to weight ratio until we get down to the 991.1 C2S with a 'ring time of 7'34".

At least to me, this suggests that the 991.2 C4 GTS must handle extremely well to keep up with and in many cases surpass much more powerful cars that have more favorable power to weight ratios. The GTS must be making up time in the corners as it cannot keep up with these more powerful cars on the straights.

Just my thoughts (which are quite happy since I just acquired a 991.2 C4 GTS ;-).
The Sport Auto test was run with the RWD 991.2 GTS not the C4. But Porsche have always been down on power compared to the rivals, and still in most cases been the fastest. Nothing new!
Old 06-26-2017, 12:57 PM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Originally Posted by acey81
The Sport Auto test was run with the RWD 991.2 GTS not the C4. But Porsche have always been down on power compared to the rivals, and still in most cases been the fastest. Nothing new!

I am certain that I have seen a few publications that specified that the Sport Auto test was with a C4 GTS. I am now having trouble finding links but I will keep looking. Meanwhile, if anyone has the actual magazine and can verify, that would be helpful.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:58 PM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Originally Posted by quattr0
No doubt its a sweet machine. My C2 on Dynojet shows 353whp so i doubt gts is 450bhp.

Enjoy!!!

Interesting. Here is a link to another thread with a German magazine dyno test of the GTS that indicates just 454 HP at the crank.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9263...l#post14280460
Old 06-26-2017, 01:14 PM
starwatcher
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "Sportauto" magazine tested the Carrera GTS (June 2017) with RWD:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...-11570033.html

I should have this specific issue somewhere around (either home or office). If you need any further infos from the test I can dig out...

rgds from Porsches home country Germany - Klaus (oops - my first post in this forum btw :-) )

Last edited by starwatcher; 06-26-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:49 PM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Originally Posted by starwatcher
The "Sportauto" magazine tested the Carrera GTS (June 2017) with RWD:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...-11570033.html

I should have this specific issue somewhere around (either home or office). If you need any further infos from the test I can dig out...

rgds from Porsches home country Germany - Klaus (oops - my first post in this form btw :-) )

Thanks for the clarification. I could not find an issues of the magazine to check directly. I guess I should change the title of the thread, but I don't know how ;-)
Old 06-02-2019, 11:54 PM
SpeedZ
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you guys able to do the same mods to the crank/stroke to turn the 3.4 into a 3.6? I wonder how much power that would get...

Quick Reply: How well does the 991.2 C4 GTS handle? Here is some data.