Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratches on wheels from tire change - what to expect from insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 11:23 AM
...Max...
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BBB is a complete joke
I've had success using it against local companies; of course Costco may not care. In fact, it's the "inform Costco" bit that gives me trouble at the moment: customer service is out of their depth on this and corporate office is not in a hurry to return calls
Old 07-13-2017, 11:27 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,359 Posts

That's why you file Small Claims. They pay attention real fast when that happens.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:16 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

While the damage to me is extremely minor and not worthy of me getting annoyed, I can see that it bothers you, so you requested damages. They have offered to cover $225, meaning you would be out of pocket $375 to have them professionally refinished (I would argue about $10 for some touch up paint would make the marks unseeable from more than 5 feet away, but anyway).

Is this really worth the time and aggravation for $375. Time is a valuable commodity. Do you really want to waste it on such little matters? Think big picture...this is minutia.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:38 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
While the damage to me is extremely minor and not worthy of me getting annoyed, I can see that it bothers you, so you requested damages. They have offered to cover $225, meaning you would be out of pocket $375 to have them professionally refinished (I would argue about $10 for some touch up paint would make the marks unseeable from more than 5 feet away, but anyway).

Is this really worth the time and aggravation for $375. Time is a valuable commodity. Do you really want to waste it on such little matters? Think big picture...this is minutia.
And that's what Costco is counting on; it not being worth the trouble. This is a no-brainer for Small Claims Court.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:46 PM
...Max...
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Final update - got an agreement from their claims processor for full $675, no admission of guilt Off to the dealer now, the car's due for the intermediate service anyway.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:00 AM
snowcar_C4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear that you have found resolution to your problem, albeit not ideal. Like most people on this Forum, I am particular about my vehicles. Many years ago I took my Honda Accord to Costco for new tires. It was the new V6 model, and the stock alloy wheels had 5 or 6 spokes (I forget), and they kind of bulged out slightly. My vehicle was in pristine condition when I took it to get the tires replaced, I requested to speak to the Manager, and asked him to inspect the vehicle with me. We did a quick walk around and I was careful to point out that there were no dings or damage to the wheels and bodywork. I asked for his assurance that I would receive the vehicle back in the same condition and we specifically discussed the condition of the wheels. He assured me, rather emphatically, that they would not damage the wheels. I left and went to get groceries in the Costco and returned some time later, my car was ready, and now the shocker - each wheel had deep gouges in it, the spokes I described earlier were all scratched and gouged. I called the Manager over and asked him to take a look at my wheels, I could see the shock on his face immediately, then he quickly changed attitude, and stated that that was how the vehicle was dropped off. I did not back down and challenged him to do the right thing, he buckled and owned up. It appears that the technician (if you could elevate him to that title) had removed the wheels and placed them face down on the workshop floor. The upshot is that Costco paid for 4 new wheels @ $160 each, and fitting and balancing. That was a lot of money to me back then, and it still pissed me off each time I went to Costco for groceries thereafter, so now I shop elsewhere. What many Vendors don't realize is that a Buyer, principally and primarily makes purchasing decisions based upon their initial and subsequent transactional experiences. It actually takes a great deal of effort to anger a Buyer into changing Vendors, it's far easier to do a great job. I stopped using my local Tire shop, Burt Brothers, in Park City, Utah, as they demonstrate an attitude - one where they are doing you a great favor when you come into their store/s. These ******** lost a customer with 5 cars (2 of mine, my son, daughter and wife's car) when I requested if they could guarantee that they would not damage my LX570 wheels when I was switching over to my Snow Tires - the manager was not prepared to provide me with that assurance. I now drive 25 miles for all tire service at a Les Schwab in Salt Lake City. I asked to see the Manager there, and articulated my expectations to him, he took me back into the workshop area and showed me their machines for tire removal/replacement and explained why these do not damage the rim, and that their technicians were very careful when handling the wheel. We take all of our cars there now, it's a great experience with friendly people at a reasonable price, and the quality of their work is unimpeachable. On our Porsches, with a set of wheels, on average, in excess of $4 000, it's probably best to steer away from the Costco's of the world and locate a reputable Vendor. My Detail Shop Owner is my go to guy for advice on who does great work, you might want to ask around if you don't have a Detail person. When I purchased my C4S it came with black wheels and I wanted the Silver wheels, the local Porsche dealer sent the wheels out to be repainted and they came back looking just awful. My Detail guy spoke with them and they agreed upon his recommended Vendor and the wheels were returned with the correct color silver and they looked beautiful. Moral of the story, pick your Vendors carefully, set your expectations, and build a solid relationship with them while referring your friends and acquaintances to them, they will value your business.

Quick Reply: Scratches on wheels from tire change - what to expect from insurance?