Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratches on wheels from tire change - what to expect from insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 06:13 PM
...Max...
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scratches on wheels from tire change - what to expect from insurance?

Went to get 4 new Super Sports in a local Costco tire shop -- and my 20" Carrera Classics apparently proved too much for their skill

Not a catastrophe, true, but the wheels were basically pristine and now 3 (!!!) of them are scratched and dented. The shop ppl have admitted the issue and filed a claim, my question is what I can reasonably ask for? 3 new wheels are probably a non-starter; I would imagine they might pay for a restoration job, but how should I handle it? The 991 is my daily driver and I don't keep a spare set of wheels on hand. Should I go through Porsche dealer? Directly to a reputable shop?

FWIW I am in north DFW and my go-to dealer is Porsche of Plano.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:21 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Check the wheel enhancement cost for restoration, figure shipping cost, mount, remount cost. Tell the costoco store you want to have them fixed and you want to put in a claim for the cost.
PS dont take a good car to these kinds of places, you should have - go to porsche of plano
Old 06-14-2017, 06:33 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

(3) new wheels is absolutely what you should demand in this situation. I have some experience with this and if a shop damages a wheel, a replacement is absolutely within reason. The shop is hoping you don't demand this. Costco is a big company and can afford to do the right thing.

The bottomline is that nobody twisted the shop's arm to work on your car. They easily could have told you they didn't feel comfortable handling the installation for your vehicle. It is 100% on them to replace you wheels and please do not settle for anything less.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:40 PM
...Max...
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm - so should I:

1. Tell the insurance co. I want my local Porsche dealer to handle the repairs.
2. Bring the car in and get dealer's quote for 3 new wheels
3. If this proves to be unworkable, get their quote for restoration
4. Have the insurance company approve the quote and pay
5. Let dealer handle the repairs, providing me with a service loaner for the duration

I was just wondering if people have been in that situation before and what snags to expect.

PS dont take a good car to these kinds of places, you should have - go to porsche of plano
You could say I learned my lesson now... in half-hearted defense, they did an excellent job for me on a Mercedes SUV just a few months ago. 'Course those wheels weren't super-wide and tires super-low profile...
Old 06-14-2017, 08:04 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

those look like super easy wheel touchups to me honestly. just go to your porsche dealer, have them do the touchups and bill costco.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:22 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

This is why I would NEVER go to Costco. Guys here love them. For tire work, I only go to the Tire Rack (a 1/2 day trip.....only $15 per wheel) or the dealership and pay the crazy money.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:31 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Touch ups ?
Really ? Those are nicks and gouges.

Would you settle for your Porsche to be sold to you this way ? From the factory ?

In today's world of 'corporate' b.s. , to just 'settle' for something repaired or touched up when one brings in a high dollar, premium sports car is a system of methodology gone awry.

Get them either professionally restored or replaced new. Nothing else matters. Nothing less should be expected, condoned, nor accepted.
NOTHING.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:02 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

F'n morons at my local Jaguar dealership did the same thing to my Jag wheels !!
Old 06-14-2017, 09:03 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Dicks !!
Old 06-14-2017, 09:31 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

NTB gouged the crap out of one of my wheels. I had no recourse either, because they would only patch a Z-rated tire "off the books." Shady, I know.

Anyway I took it to a wheel refinishing joint and $150 later it's like new. I may get all 4 redone to refresh them, at some point.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:33 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ...Max...
FWIW I am in north DFW and my go-to dealer is Porsche of Plano.
I used to be in DFW too. Porsche of Plano won't harm your wheels, but I used to use RAC Performance in Carrollton for this kind of task.

The labor was reasonable and they know how to take care of high end cars. Never had a wheel problem there. In fact, they handled my wheel refinishing.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:44 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Have the dealer repair the wheels and ask Costco to reimburse the amount.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:25 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Touch ups ?
Really ? Those are nicks and gouges.

Would you settle for your Porsche to be sold to you this way ? From the factory ?

In today's world of 'corporate' b.s. , to just 'settle' for something repaired or touched up when one brings in a high dollar, premium sports car is a system of methodology gone awry.

Get them either professionally restored or replaced new. Nothing else matters. Nothing less should be expected, condoned, nor accepted.
NOTHING.
My definition of touch up is your professional restored I guess. We're talking 250 ish max. I've seen a TON worse fixed without much of any issues at all on that style wheel. The only time it gets trickier is when it deals with the center lock GT wheels or wheels made from alternate materials.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:26 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Demand touch-less equipment.

Corghi Master Code or Hunter Revolution

For the record we have the Corghi Master Code

NOT JUST HUNTER OR NOT JUST CORGHI, IT HAS TO BE THE MASTER CODE OR THE REVOLUTION (Just like a Turbo, it's the model that matters )

We used to own two but tried a Hunter but ended up selling it and keeping the Corghi Master code because the Hunter was taking up space.

Last edited by Wheel Dynamics; 06-14-2017 at 10:27 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-15-2017, 09:49 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Max,

I'd go with your option #5.

With the limited amount of damage, new rims is really out of the picture. A good repair will be impossible to detect at a cost of a few hundred dollars. The dealer will have an outside vendor do the work. Bring it in in the morning, pick it up in the evening.

Quick Reply: Scratches on wheels from tire change - what to expect from insurance?