Sponsored by:

Got a Boxster S loaner while 991.2 CS recall being completed

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 05:50 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by kennypowers
but I will say comparing the 3.4 even in a gts 981 to a 991.1 S isn't fair without driving the cars. The 991 3.8 feels far more powerful.
Ammm, perhaps because it is?
Old 06-11-2017, 06:46 PM
kennypowers
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Ammm, perhaps because it is?
Roll eyes, really? cool bro

Anyway, despite being 60 hp down, the cayman I drove had pdk and is a couple hundred pounds lighter than my manual 911. Considering that I expected the power difference to be less substantial than it was.

That, combined with the op using a boxster s power comparison to a 991.2 as a proxy for the 3.8 motor is why I posted. I have recent experience with both and there is a huge difference
Old 06-11-2017, 07:44 PM
P-car fan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kennypowers
Roll eyes, really? cool bro

That, combined with the op using a boxster s power comparison to a 991.2 as a proxy for the 3.8 motor is why I posted. I
Seriously for the last time, I never said anything about the Boxster S power being the same as the 3.8 991. So this is actually a good place for 🙄
Old 06-11-2017, 07:47 PM
P-car fan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Wait I thought the whole point of this thread was that the .2 is better than the .1 because you didn't like the Boxster and now you want to get a Boxster?
Really? 🙄
I clearly said it would be a third car because the wife has liked having the convertible, and therefore nothing fast would actually be needed since she would mainly drive it, so Boxster would be perfect! 😆
Old 06-12-2017, 11:44 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Actually, you need to change your screen name to "991.2 911 Fan" since clearly some Porsches are inferior to others
Old 06-12-2017, 12:33 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

I had a Boxster S loaner one time and was surprised at how quick it felt. Great car, nice top-down, mid-engine experience.

And I came from 14 years of high HP/high torque Vettes - it wasn't anything like a Vette, of course, but I thought the acceleration was certainly acceptable.

The Boxster has never been about high torque or super-fast acceleration times...there are plenty of other quicker cars out there if you like to race from stop light to stop light.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:37 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I had a Boxster S loaner one time and was surprised at how quick it felt. Great car, nice top-down, mid-engine experience.

And I came from 14 years of high HP/high torque Vettes - it wasn't anything like a Vette, of course, but I thought the acceleration was certainly acceptable.

The Boxster has never been about high torque or super-fast acceleration times...there are plenty of other quicker cars out there if you like to race from stop light to stop light.
Porsche has never been about acceleration in any of their cars even though they've alway punched well above their weight. In the past 10 years or so though; in the US, 0-60 has been a primary quantification by the media to compare cars. Really it's fake news. Corvette got smart quick and started putting Michelin Sports on and got a big advantage.

Really though... including a base cayman - I've yet to drive ANY Porsche from any generation that I wouldn't want to own. The challenge is deciding within the terms of my financial and space constraints which one/s to own.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Porsche has never been about acceleration in any of their cars even though they've alway punched well above their weight. In the past 10 years or so though; in the US, 0-60 has been a primary quantification by the media to compare cars. Really it's fake news. Corvette got smart quick and started putting Michelin Sports on and got a big advantage.

Really though... including a base cayman - I've yet to drive ANY Porsche from any generation that I wouldn't want to own. The challenge is deciding within the terms of my financial and space constraints which one/s to own.

There is no substitute!

Quick Reply: Got a Boxster S loaner while 991.2 CS recall being completed