Sponsored by:

Got a Boxster S loaner while 991.2 CS recall being completed

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 02:41 PM
P-car fan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got a Boxster S loaner while 991.2 CS recall being completed

My 991.2 CS is at the dealer getting the first yearly service and a recall completed, so I have a '16 Boxster S PDK through the weekend, the last with the NA motor. As fun as the convertible can be since I live in Florida, I can't wait to get mine back! This car is SERIOUSLY lacking torque and it honestly feels slow while driving around town, since it's just not practical to be constantly up high in the rev range.
Granted I know this Boxster S is not up to par power wise with the 991.1's, for me this totally settles the debate of the NA vs turbo 911; the 991.2 feels just so much faster driving on a daily basis, which is where most of my miles are clocked in my '17 CS. I'm quite fond of the turbo motor for the non "Turbo" 911's!
Old 06-10-2017, 04:08 PM
ieatfishburritos
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

In summary, you drove a 315hp / 266 ft lbs of torque NA boxster S and are concluding the 400hp / 325 ft lbs of torque NA 911.1 S is inferior to the 991.2?

Last edited by ieatfishburritos; 06-10-2017 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added torque #'s
Old 06-10-2017, 04:13 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ieatfishburritos
In summary, you drove a 315hp NA boxster S and are concluding the 400hp NA 911.1 S is inferior to the 991.2?
This has to be a joke, right?

"I drove a different car, with a different engine, but that means the 991.1 is inferior."

LOL!
Old 06-10-2017, 04:13 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

The mid engine handling though...
Old 06-10-2017, 06:29 PM
P-car fan
Instructor

Well I clearly said that the Boxster S is not the same as the power level of the 991, although I'd argue that it's pretty close to the Carrera given the power to weight ratios.
Main point being that I strongly feel the torque/power delivery of the new turbo motors gives a better DD experience. Porsche knows what they're doing and has produced a great drivetrain for the .2 C/CS! All of the NA haters need to simply get over it IMO, the .2 is a superior performing car

Last edited by P-car fan; 06-11-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:25 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by P-car fan
Well I clearly said that the Boxster S is not the same as the power level of the 991, although I'd argue that it's pretty close to the Carrera given the power to weight ratios.
Main point being that I strongly feel the torque/power delivery of the new turbo motors gives a better DD experience. Porsche knows what they're doing and has produced a great drivetrain for the .2 C/CS! All of the NA haters need to simply get over it IMO, the .2 is a superior car 😉
I agree.

For the Boxster / Cayman, that is. Those cars are just really weedy at around town speeds. You have to rev the nuts off of them to go anywhere.

The N/A 911's are more potent. You wouldn't call even the base slow, but it's not super fast. The CS is fast. Not blindingly fast, but fast. And it's accessible at low revs too.

Sure, the .2's are faster. And easier to access the performance. But doesn't mean that they are that much better than the .1 cars as daily drivers.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:29 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I have a 2014 Boxster S and picking up a 2018 C4 in Leipzig next month so I have a lot of thoughts on the OP's comments. I think I am relatively unbiased since I bought them both and I love each of them. . I've also driven 991.1,.2s, 981 CGTS and BGTS on the track and the road.

First - Two TOTALLY different cars and the driving experiences couldn't be more farther apart. Convertible NA mid-engine 2 seater compared to a Turbo rear engine, 2+2 coupe? Oh...and let's not forget the 105 additional HP and $45k price difference (in my case)

When I picked up my 981 in Stuttgart, I was REALLY disappointed (like the OP) with the torque. It just felt much less than my "luxury" Lexus. Of course I wasn't initially pushing the car either. I didn't follow the bogus break-in process so by the time I had 400 miles on the car, I was sliding it around the Stelvio pass at 6000 rpm. It was a total blast! The open air feel, engine right behind your seat screaming away, PSE and Sport + engaged is intoxicating. The handling is fantastic. I'm a manual guy, so I need to be able to row through the gears without going to jail. The Boxster does that for me. But I agree, driving it around the city at low rpm you can easily feel the torque deficit compared to the 991.2. It's a weekend toy for me so I didn't drive it that way.

The 991.2 in base or S form is just a beast. It's also the Porsche icon and has the status which some people crave ....me included. The rear weight bias is very apparent when switching from the 981 to the 911 but planting down all that power on the rear wheels coming out of a turn is fantastic too and the immediate torque from the turbos is really nice. Plus the practicality of the extra 2 seats is nice as well.

Both are fantastic cars but different. Built for different people. I guess I'm a switch hitter. lol.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:40 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
It was a total blast!
I rented a 981 C base for a day. 400 miles in the Santa Monica Mountains and in the LA traffic. Redline shifts. 10 mpg average. Unforgettable. What a car.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:42 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

If the market for the 981 is any indicator people love the thing. I've been searching for one and they are pricey.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:37 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Main point being that I strongly feel the torque/power delivery of the new turbo motors gives a better DD experience.
C'mon, let's get real here. You're driving the thing in FL, which is more flat than Kansas with fewer turns in the roads. And you're daily driving it and trying to claim you need a 450 hp car for the experience?

Daily driving in FL you could almost be in a SmartCar or Prius and have a similar experience. Accelerate to speed limit. Go straight. Go straight some more. Go even more straight. Slow down, arrive at destination.

For any car used as a DD, anything more than a basic econobox is about pure want and trying to compare a 981S to 991.2 or 991.1 to say one is better than the other for DD work - in FL, especially - is about as pretentious as you can get.

Just man up, say you like your car better than any other (and you should... you spend a lot of money on it) and be done with it without trying to put down anyone else's choice.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:01 PM
P-car fan
Instructor

Originally Posted by skiahh
C'mon, let's get real here. You're driving the thing in FL, which is more flat than Kansas with fewer turns in the roads. And you're daily driving it and trying to claim you need a 450 hp car for the experience?

Daily driving in FL you could almost be in a SmartCar or Prius and have a similar experience. Accelerate to speed limit. Go straight. Go straight some more. Go even more straight. Slow down, arrive at destination.

For any car used as a DD, anything more than a basic econobox is about pure want and trying to compare a 981S to 991.2 or 991.1 to say one is better than the other for DD work - in FL, especially - is about as pretentious as you can get.

Just man up, say you like your car better than any other (and you should... you spend a lot of money on it) and be done with it without trying to put down anyone else's choice.
I was definitely never attempting to put down anyone else's personal choice down, especially between any modern day Porsche; all are clearly great cars in their own right.
Let's be fair here that there are actually many NA 911 "purists" that constantly put down the new 911 motor far more than the other way around, and I do not understand it. The .2 is superior in every performance test I have seen, and given the fact that max torque is available towards the bottom of the rev range, it feels even faster than it really is when driving around town, keeping revs under 4-5k rpms.
And we have VERY different views of daily driving if you're going to argue that driving a Prius is adequate!! 😂😂 And since when do you have to drive on canyon-esque roads to have fun?! That's pure craziness
Old 06-10-2017, 11:08 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
This has to be a joke, right?

"I drove a different car, with a different engine, but that means the 991.1 is inferior."

LOL!
I saw a Karman Ghia going down the road this evening with the top down while driving the wife around in her X3 therefore I conclude that the 3.8 NA > 3.0tt.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:16 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Main point being that I strongly feel the torque/power delivery of the new turbo motors gives a better DD experience. Porsche knows what they're doing and has produced a great drivetrain for the .2 C/CS! All of the NA haters need to simply get over it IMO, the .2 is a superior car 😉
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I agree.

For the Boxster / Cayman, that is. Those cars are just really weedy at around town speeds. You have to rev the nuts off of them to go anywhere.

The N/A 911's are more potent. You wouldn't call even the base slow, but it's not super fast. The CS is fast. Not blindingly fast, but fast. And it's accessible at low revs too.

Sure, the .2's are faster. And easier to access the performance. But doesn't mean that they are that much better than the .1 cars as daily drivers.
There is a common theme here.... the torque from the turbos is way better for commuting. I bought my 911 because I wanted a sportscar though.

Shopping a couple things right now to add to the stable. We're deciding between a Lotus 400S/410 or an Audi R8. The R8 is undisputedly faster but the 400hp lotus is way more fun since you just can't access the R8 - You're thinking track right? 99% of us on here couldn't drive that car at 50% and do it well on a track. Blistering acceleration times and magic unicorn tears soldering the electronics together don't make it more fun. The 991.2 vs .1 is like that - one is faster and we'd be outside Porsche HQ with pitchforks if the newer car was NOT faster.... but so what? At what point do we max out physics of acceleration? What about fun?

A more boring and numb engine that has a little more low end does not add to a sports car experience.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:24 PM
P-car fan
Instructor

Originally Posted by R_Rated
There is a common theme here.... the torque from the turbos is way better for commuting. I bought my 911 because I wanted a sportscar though.

Shopping a couple things right now to add to the stable. We're deciding between a Lotus 400S/410 or an Audi R8. The R8 is undisputedly faster but the 400hp lotus is way more fun since you just can't access the R8 - You're thinking track right? 99% of us on here couldn't drive that car at 50% and do it well on a track. Blistering acceleration times and magic unicorn tears soldering the electronics together don't make it more fun. The 991.2 vs .1 is like that - one is faster and we'd be outside Porsche HQ with pitchforks if the newer car was NOT faster.... but so what? At what point do we max out physics of acceleration? What about fun?

A more boring and numb engine that has a little more low end does not add to a sports car experience.
"Boring and numb engine that has a LITTLE more low end"
That right there says it all! 991.1 owners are as pretentious as it gets.
And to stand on your soap box and try to argue that the only way to have fun is driving an NA motor, that's fanboy-ism gone mad!
Old 06-10-2017, 11:36 PM
R_Rated
Banned

you brought this on yourself:

Quick Reply: Got a Boxster S loaner while 991.2 CS recall being completed