Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 11:13 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts
Default SpeedTech 991.2 Switch-X Exhaust Development Thread

For anyone considering a new exhaust for your 991.2 - you may want to wait a few weeks before deciding......Our 2017 Porsche PSE exhaust development is officially underway. Over the next 2-3 weeks we will be developing our direct bolt on replacement X-Pipe, designed to replace the OEM center muffler, as well as our direct replacement, high flow catalytic converters that will bolt in place of the OEM converters and mate to the OEM muffler. All components are mix and match with OEM PSE components and can be installed independently or as a complete system.

The SpeedTech 991.2 X-Pipe will feature our signature True-X design for a truly outstanding exotic sound and will utilize vacuum activated sound valves, exactly like the OEM PSE system. This will allow the user to retain the factory switch options that come standard with the OEM PSE exhaust, allowing the operator to choose the desired sound level with the switch in the car - same as OEM PSE.

Below are pictures of the development car getting ready to go up on the lift and then the OEM PSE system removed. Jig fabrication is underway, key components have been scanned and we are focused on delivering the best sounding aftermarket exhaust option available for the 991.2

Once this new system is fabricated, tested, refined and perfected, it will be heading to our private test track for an extensive camera and go-pro video session. Stay tuned for updates and video.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 04-20-2017, 03:35 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

UPDATE: We made major progress on our 991.2 exhaust project over the past week and are extremely pleased with the results. Pictured below is a completed set of our new 991.2 high flow catalytic converters, utilizing the larger 5", 130mm, HJS "directional" cores.

The first configuration up for testing was the 991.2 OEM muffler with our new HJS high flow cats. Similar to previous Porsche Turbo models, we found that improving the exhaust flow with high flow cats enabled more rapid turbo spool, improved power delivery, crisper throttle response and a very nice, enhanced turbo whistle note in sport mode. The sound difference is subtle over the OEM cats. In our opinion, upgrading the cats is a performance upgrade with a very slight bump in sound level and a little added turbo spool sound. The character of the sound remains identical to OEM, power delivery is enhanced and the car feels noticeably quicker.

Our plug and play 991.2 valved X-Pipe should be ready for testing/video over the following week. The modular design of this system will allow each of the components to be used independently of each other (SpeedTech Cats/OEM muffler or OEM cats/SpeedTech X-Pipe) or in unison (SpeedTech cats/SpeedTech X-Pipe), as a complete performance/sound package. More to come...

Last edited by John D II; 04-20-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:43 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here's a look at our final 991.2 X-Pipe design. We had a chance to fire it up today and the sound is incredibly good. Not too loud, but very sporty with valves opened up - extremely tasteful and well mannered with valves closed.

Our X-Pipe is designed to be used with either OEM catalytic converters or SpeedTech High Flow cats

Full SpeedTech 991.2 exhaust system - X-Pipe with SpeedTech High Flow Catalytic Converters
Old 04-22-2017, 03:40 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

This looks great. Any sound clips and dyno charts on x pipe + stock cat vs x pipe + HJS cats?
Old 04-22-2017, 04:27 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

I'm waiting for sound clips as well
Old 04-22-2017, 05:48 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We have a lot to share - we just spent an hour at our test track and have a lot of video to edit. The system sounds incredible - the owner was there with a friend for a demonstration and to pick up his car and they were both in love with it. IMO and theirs, we hit a home run with this system. Both in sound and performance.

We have a few comparisons of start up with a few throttle blips in the shop and a then very short run of total OEM compared to our Hi-Flow cats with the OEM muffler from yesterday, loading to you tube right now. I will link as soon as it's ready. I felt that the cats really helped the car out from a performance standpoint. The owner agreed. He felt they transformed it into a rocket. Videos shortly!
Old 04-22-2017, 05:54 PM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

Everyone feels something when they just spent money...a lot of money on it.

However I am interested in an after market exhaust for my .2 C2S and I feel the need for objective data and sound clips/video before I can make up my mind.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:24 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here is a sample of some video comparisons between the complete OEM exhaust, OEM muffler with SpeedTech Hi-Flow catalytic converters and SpeedTech X-Pipe with SpeedTech Hi-Flow cats.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:12 PM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey man you were right...it does sound nice! Any data regarding HP and torque or only seat of pants?

Approx price for whole system? PM me if you like.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:33 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks good sounds good. Please let us know if/when it is CARB legal in California.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:20 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

I'm way interested. Please let me know the details. this is the nicest I've heard yet. Would be interested in hearing how it sounds with OEM cats and the x pipe only as well.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:27 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Duplicate Post.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:23 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Driven991
Hey man you were right...it does sound nice! Any data regarding HP and torque or only seat of pants?
Approx price for whole system? PM me if you like.
Thanks! The owner of the test car did not wish to dyno, but as one of the prime suppliers of Porsche turbo exhausts for previous generations, we are certain of power gains with high flow cats on any Porsche turbo. In this case, it was easily detectable via seat of the pants.

I will PM pricing shortly, our 991.2 web page is not up yet and we are running an introductory special price on these systems.

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Looks good sounds good. Please let us know if/when it is CARB legal in California.
Thanks for the kind words. The catalytic converters will probably never be CARB legal, but if you retain your OEM cats and then use our Switch-X X-Pipe as a sound upgrade and mate it to the OEM cats, it will be retain CARB compliance and be legal immediately. That's the way...

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I'm way interested. Please let me know the details. this is the nicest I've heard yet. Would be interested in hearing how it sounds with OEM cats and the x pipe only as well.
I feel confident that you would be extremely satisfied with this system - words can not do it justice. We have a very well respected reputation for developing what many consider the best sound on turbo Porsches (see our testimonials). Unfortunately, the OEM cat/SpeedTech X-Pipe video was lost in editing and the test car is back in the owners hands now. I can say that the sound level difference is similar to comparing the complete OEM system to the OEM system with our Hi-Flow cats, except the tone changes to slightly more aggressive, whereas the OEM muffler with cats provides a louder OEM sound character. Either is a great choice, both together is the best for sure. Everything is modular, so you can change one piece only, then change the other one later, if you prefer to do it in stages and see what each does....
Old 04-23-2017, 12:45 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

OK, Here we are putting the new system through the paces today at out test track!
Old 04-23-2017, 01:55 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Sounds pretty epic. Please PM me pricing, and also...have to ask, any drone with the system at all?

Quick Reply: SpeedTech 991.2 Switch-X Exhaust Development Thread