Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Rebooting/Map Not Loading

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019 | 12:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rezok
I’m having the same problem regrettably. Car booked for a 4 year major in three weeks. Will get it replaced too I’m thinking based on the replies here.

Randomly cycles and reboots. No Bluetooth and the maps loading screen...
better give the dealership a heads up as they will have to special order the replacement head unit... they will probably re-flash the existing one, but if its the same underlying issue that will not fix the problem
Old 05-25-2020 | 10:57 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Hello all - "rebooting" this discussion, 2020 version.

Has anyone found a resolution other than full PCM head unit replacement?
- Software upgrades work?

My 2013 C2S is 6 months out of CPO (naturally) and just started the auto reboot feature every 2-5 minutes.
- Battery is def in need of replacement (new one in hand)
- I have an Iphone 11pro with latest software push
- PCM version is 3.43
- CD changer and maps work - most times it's tuning XM radio
- XM radio recently renewed but has been active for 4.5 years on this car

Thanks for any help here.

While I love my sports exhaust, I also dig rides with the right driving music, so...

Old 05-25-2020 | 11:04 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

@Chris C. - here , there are multiple threads Bout this. Just reboot and you’re good to go.

Old 05-25-2020 | 11:19 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Thanks @shammerman made my way thru a couple but no resolutions posted. Will check this out! Time to re-do all my stations anyway
The following users liked this post:
shammerman (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020 | 12:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

from my dealer last week...
Old 05-26-2020 | 12:51 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Probably have to do this a second time, reset worked as the PCM doesn't perform the reset every 2-5 mins anymore. I just cannot connect the phone to PCM since reset.
Old 05-26-2020 | 01:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S
Probably have to do this a second time, reset worked as the PCM doesn't perform the reset every 2-5 mins anymore. I just cannot connect the phone to PCM since reset.
damn - sorry!
Old 05-26-2020 | 01:56 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S
are you saying the phone won’t pair with the PCM?
Old 05-26-2020 | 02:01 PM
smithsor
Advanced

This may be a problem caused by a bad Sirius XM file pushed to Porsche's.
https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...o-fault-2.html
Old 05-27-2020 | 01:43 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Anyone else try this fix with v3.43 software, did it work? I don't see the hard reset option- holding option button simply reboots to startup screen.

Curse on Sirius XM radio for this global blight!
Old 05-27-2020 | 02:16 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

I did it and it works. 5 days no problem and paired phone with no issues. Don't hold the option button hold the info button down for 10 seconds. Then follow the rest of the steps.
Old 05-29-2020 | 02:31 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
The PCM in my 2015 GTS started doing the reboot loop a couple of days ago, here are a couple of videos:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=197...6ScLCGsIpugVw9

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1am...ylikeorZOU6F8W

I contacted my dealership (sonnen), they said that there is an known issue with the PCM units, and Porsche are simply
replacing them when this occurs, when a video of the behavior is provided by the customer/dealer ... YMMV

Not sure if you can hear it on one of the videos but you can hear an audible 'click' from the PCM as it cycles, I suspect its either a relay or
the internal disk drive...
I'm having this exact same issue on my 981, except I don't even get to the Porsche logo screen; mine just stays blank. The clicking sound is the optical head in the CD/DVD drive going through its boot procedures. I've pulled the fuse a couple times, leaving the car for a bit, then plugging it back in—this has worked a couple times, but once I turn the car off and back on again the PCM goes into an endless reboot.

So it seems the only solution for this is likely a full PCM replacement, no? To keep costs down, the shop where I get my car worked on does race prep and as such has a ton of PCM 3.1 units sitting around from cars they’ve stripped out and converted for race use—I can source a replacement from them for cheap, however we don’t quite know what the procedure would be for coding (they do strictly mechanical work, not radios and such). Would this be something I’d have to take it into a dealership for, i.e. re-pairing the unit to the car? And would they be none too pleased that I’m bringing in a 3rd party replacement unit instead of buying it new through them? I'm just trying to figure out how best to navigate these waters.
Any info / experiences anyone might have on this would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-29-2020 | 02:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by burnergt4
I'm having this exact same issue on my 981, except I don't even get to the Porsche logo screen; mine just stays blank. The clicking sound is the optical head in the CD/DVD drive going through its boot procedures. I've pulled the fuse a couple times, leaving the car for a bit, then plugging it back in—this has worked a couple times, but once I turn the car off and back on again the PCM goes into an endless reboot.
that's correct!

So it seems the only solution for this is likely a full PCM replacement, no? To keep costs down, the shop where I get my car worked on does race prep and as such has a ton of PCM 3.1 units sitting around from cars they’ve stripped out and converted for race use—I can source a replacement from them for cheap, however we don’t quite know what the procedure would be for coding (they do strictly mechanical work, not radios and such). Would this be something I’d have to take it into a dealership for, i.e. re-pairing the unit to the car? And would they be none too pleased that I’m bringing in a 3rd party replacement unit instead of buying it new through them? I'm just trying to figure out how best to navigate these waters.
Any info / experiences anyone might have on this would be greatly appreciated!
you might want to talk to your dealer 1st (if you have not already), PCNA may replace the unit regardless of the state of your warranty coverage since its a known issue with a recall?
Old 05-29-2020 | 02:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Hello all - "rebooting" this discussion, 2020 version.

Has anyone found a resolution other than full PCM head unit replacement?
- Software upgrades work?

My 2013 C2S is 6 months out of CPO (naturally) and just started the auto reboot feature every 2-5 minutes.
- Battery is def in need of replacement (new one in hand)
- I have an Iphone 11pro with latest software push
- PCM version is 3.43
- CD changer and maps work - most times it's tuning XM radio
- XM radio recently renewed but has been active for 4.5 years on this car

Thanks for any help here.

While I love my sports exhaust, I also dig rides with the right driving music, so...
Chris have you spoken to your dealer about having them replace the unit - it may not require "warranty" since this is a "known issue" and subject of a recall of sorts?
The following users liked this post:
Chris C. (05-31-2020)
Old 05-29-2020 | 03:04 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
you might want to talk to your dealer 1st (if you have not already), PCNA may replace the unit regardless of the state of your warranty coverage since its a known issue with a recall?
Worth a try. I'm the second owner of this GT4 and purchased it when it was well out of warranty, but if a dealership is potentially willing to do me a solid and replace the unit it's worth reaching out. Thanks for the tip 👍🏼

Quick Reply: PCM Rebooting/Map Not Loading