Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

PCM Restarting XM radio fault?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 03:40 PM
smithsor
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

i performed the Vehicle handover and it fixed the reboot issue. Now I only have XM Channel 1 Preview. Spent over an hour on chat and they couldn't get a signal to my car. I got a message on my phone (they sent me a refresh text) saying I had exceeded the maximum number of activation signals in 24 hours. The chat guy said he only had permission to send one signal to me (bizarre). Then as I was returning from my car he chatted he was leaving because I didn't respond and he assumed the problem was resolved. I'll try again tomorrow. At least it's not rebooting. The Vehicle handover does remove all your navigation favorites (bizarre), and removes your set radio stations. I work in IT, we call this a single point of failure. lol
Old 05-22-2020, 03:50 PM
Momvivant
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Can I ask for some help - I don't know why this reboot is not working for me!!

1) I hold down the Info button for 10 seconds - screen goes black so I know it's rebooting
2) I then quickly push Car button
3) I then quickly push Option button

Steps #2 and 3 do nothing for me as the Porsche insignia and car come on, followed by my radio stations.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 05-22-2020, 04:31 PM
raythecanuck
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raythecanuck
The wife's 2010 Panamera 4s with XM enabled started doing the 2+ min. reboot two days ago - figured it was a PCM issue. Car was sitting a few weeks of I charged up the battery thinking it might be low. Same issue.

We also have a 2015 Macan Turbo with XM Radio enabled and it just started happening to it today. At least it seems like an XM update issue. I'll try the hard reset and report back.
I just did both cars with the reset method and it worked:

Press and hold the PCM>>Info button for approximately 10 seconds until the PCM reboots.
Immediately select the following from the PCM CAR>>OPTION>>Set PCM System>>Reset PCM>>Vehicle Handover>>Yes>>Yes

I had to do the "CAR>>OPTION>>Set PCM System>>Reset PCM>>Vehicle Handover>>Yes>>Yes" step twice in both cars. In both cases it came up with XM Preview Station. Disaster averted.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:51 PM
Momvivant
Advanced

Originally Posted by raythecanuck
I just did both cars with the reset method and it worked:

Press and hold the PCM>>Info button for approximately 10 seconds until the PCM reboots.
Immediately select the following from the PCM CAR>>OPTION>>Set PCM System>>Reset PCM>>Vehicle Handover>>Yes>>Yes

I had to do the "CAR>>OPTION>>Set PCM System>>Reset PCM>>Vehicle Handover>>Yes>>Yes" step twice in both cars. In both cases it came up with XM Preview Station. Disaster averted.
Thank you 🙏!!! This worked. I had to do handover and factory reset.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:28 PM
Don Carter
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

I was so bummed yesterday to have my first major problem, without a warranty, after 8 weeks of ownership, and so happy today when the dealership in Houston fixed it. They fixed several others too while I was there, and they were fixing them over the phone as well. They were swamped. I video'ed the fix and am uploading it to YT now. Search "dcarter Panamera PCM" and you should find it when it's ready in an hour or so. I'll add the link here later.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:32 PM
Don Carter
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Wow, 3 views already. I guess someone found it. Here's the
The following 2 users liked this post by Don Carter:
Momvivant (05-22-2020), ptcolombo (05-23-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 09:39 PM
John Willingham
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xm

Originally Posted by small car lover
Does any one know if XM has even acknowledged the issue?
I cancelled my Sirius Subscription and yelled at them since my subscription just renewed on 20th then all of a sudden this happens.. I did total system reset.. initially it still didn’t work and would reboot but on my recent drive home it was ok for 30 min but I havent reinstalled my Bluetooth or anything other than just listen to radio.. so annoying.. dealer just said it was Sirius problem but now I’ve cancelled service I’m not sure they will fix it thru an update
Old 05-22-2020, 11:20 PM
Momvivant
Advanced

Originally Posted by Don Carter
Wow, 3 views already. I guess someone found it. Here's the YT Link
Thanks, Don! I’m going to send this link to my sister who has to do this on her Panny too.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:29 AM
PP4
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the solution to this problem. Video helps too. It's been driving me crazy all day. Thought my PCM was toast!
The following users liked this post:
Lebreeze (05-24-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 08:29 AM
pencarrow
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

I spent 4 hours yesterday at my local Porsche dealers, they fixed at least 30 cars either on-site or by phone. So they know-how, but no luck with mine. 5 different techs tried, 2 calls to PNA. My car is an early 2010 apparently it has a different version PCM. My dealer is going to "bump it up to the next step" whatever that means. Other than recalls this is the first problem I have had. Great car, I love my Pany.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:12 AM
Siberian Pepper
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So with a press of a few buttons, XM could freak out thousands of porsche owners at the same time causing a flood of traffic into dealerships across the country....Not happy with this.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:07 PM
Darien
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks for making the DIY video Don. Worked as advertised

Originally Posted by Don Carter
Wow, 3 views already. I guess someone found it. Here's the YT Link
Old 05-23-2020, 06:15 PM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Subscribed lol. I thought i was losing my mind when this started to happen! I thought it was the PCM itself going bad, but these symptoms above are spot on. Did the reset and it worked (hopefully permanently fixes it).
Old 05-23-2020, 07:26 PM
PP4
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Happy to report that this procedure worked on a 2013 Panamera 4, PCM v4.3. Had to do it twice and took pictures of radio/sat presets beforehand. Personal PCM settings were all there, restored via the key I believe.
Good luck
Old 05-23-2020, 08:30 PM
Viclovin
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pencarrow
I spent 4 hours yesterday at my local Porsche dealers, they fixed at least 30 cars either on-site or by phone. So they know-how, but no luck with mine. 5 different techs tried, 2 calls to PNA. My car is an early 2010 apparently it has a different version PCM. My dealer is going to "bump it up to the next step" whatever that means. Other than recalls this is the first problem I have had. Great car, I love my Pany.
I also have a 2010 Panamera 4s with PCM 3.1 v1.35 the Milwaukee Porsche dealer tried the procedure on mine and it didn't work, he tried telling me that I needed a new PCM I told him he was out of his mind, this just happened with the XM stupid update, my pcm was flawless before that.

Quick Reply: PCM Restarting XM radio fault?