Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 03:14 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm still intrigued by this, too. I don't care about any potential power increase, it's just about improving the induction noise for me.

Interesting that they cap off the sound symposer. That sounds counterintuitive.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:48 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
Interesting that they cap off the sound symposer. That sounds counterintuitive.
As per some Youtube reviews the GT3 Touring is louder inside than the regular GT3. I have to wonder if it is because of the different dual cone airbox? AFAIK that is the only difference engine wise. Cone filter intakes usually make a throaty sound.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...ys-124593.html

Does the Touring still have the sound symposer?

I think adding it back to the AFE would be as simple as drilling and installing a plastic bulkhead fitting onto the airbox.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 11-05-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:35 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
As per some Youtube reviews the GT3 Touring is louder inside than the regular GT3. I have to wonder if it is because of the different dual cone airbox? AFAIK that is the only difference engine wise. Cone filter intakes usually make a throaty sound.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...ys-124593.html

Does the Touring still have the sound symposer?

I think adding it back to the AFE would be as simple as drilling and installing a plastic bulkhead fitting onto the airbox.

GT cars do not have the sound symposer, we instead have a 9000RPM scream!!! I bet the duel cone BMC filters make more intake noise over the standard airbox. If you look at the AFRE instructions, I think it has a hose for the sound symposer.

Porsche engineers literally did what you are you saying they would have done if they could. They made a better performing dual cone airbox airbox to improve power for the wingless GT3 Touring that don't benefit from the ram air scoop on the winged cars.

This is totally worth noting! Porsche, in an attempt to have the same power numbers as the standard GT3, redid the airbox. That tells me, that the normal GT3 aribox is a cost compromise.
The standard 991 airbox kit goes for under $600, guess how much the GT3 touring airbox kit is? It's $1800!!

Totally agreed. I meant it more to highlight that the dual cone intake thing has potential as both Porsche and they looked to that design to increase power on cars that came with our airbox. For $850 this thing might actually be good for a few horsepower and easily reversible. Might sound cool too.

The dyno chart they post looks legit... yes the car had headers for both runs which I don’t.

I’ve had a couple AFE intakes on cars in the past and I was happy with them. Nice quality. This is a little less exotic than I would like for a Porsche but at same time you couldn’t see it if you tried.

This is the Dundon manufactured intake

https://www.dundonmotorsports.com/pr...-center-plenum
Dundon works on science. They will not do something if it does not add something. They found the stock airbox to be lacking, so they built a new one for the RS, then when they were doing testing on the normal GT cars, they found that the stock Touring airbox added power and reduced pressure drop (ie flows more air), so instead of making a new airbox, they supply the Touring airbox.

The AFE kit looks legit. It has 2 huge filters, is a totally sealed box, that appears to be much larger than stock, and uses the OEM cold air ducts. Heat soak is a real thing on the GT cars, that center muffler is right under the airbox, and that area gets real hot! I have felt the top of the ducts and they have been HOT on my car. The AFE box should have less heat soak, due to the large box, the filters being faster away from the edges.

Truly, I'm surprised that they AFE unit is not on a bunch of 991's already, it looks like one of the best aftermarket options.
The following users liked this post:
AdamSanta85 (11-05-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 02:39 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Thank you @Stealth 993 great info. Happy to hear the GT3 do not have the symposer.

If you look at the AFE instructions, I think it has a hose for the sound symposer.
AFE includes a cap for the sound hose, so they delete it as well.

I am excited... my order is placed...going to be a long wait.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:10 PM
BlueShell
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 81 Posts

I wonder if the sound will be different between the CF and plastic version.

In my E46 M3 days, a lot of people chased after the CF airbox because the sound resonates differently in the CF material to give the CSL airbox it's rumble and roar. The consensus was that a plastic version would not produce the same level of intoxicating induction noise.

With that said, if the plastic version makes the car sound better without any power loss or drivability, that's a win in my book. People paying thousands of dollars for an exhaust just for better noise, why not also for induction noise (which I believe to sound better than exhaust noise).

Count me as an interested party -- especially at $800.

Last edited by BlueShell; 11-05-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:23 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlueShell

In my E46 M3 days, a lot of people chased after the CF airbox because the sound resonates differently in the CF material to give the CSL airbox it's rumble and roar. The consensus was that a plastic version would not produce the same level of intoxicating induction noise.

With that said, if the plastic version makes the car sound better without any power loss or drivability, that's a win in my book. People paying thousands of dollars for an exhaust just for better noise, why not also for induction noise (which I believe to sound better than exhaust noise).

Dang I didn't consider that.... I ordered the all plastic with oiled filters, I felt like it was a good value. Hopefully see it before February...

I would consider doing before and after dyno to see what it does. My car is basically stock (muffler)

https://afepower.com/afe-power-54-83...-intake-system

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 11-05-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:30 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BlueShell

Oh yea! I added the DTM GRP A airbox to my E30 M3 it was a CF masterpiece, and sounded divine!

From what I was able to find out, the only real difference is the back cover is CF and the rest is the same plastic. While the CF might sound different, it will be very slight if any perceived sound.
The CF box does come with BOTH filter types, and the dust covers. To me, there is more value in that over the CF back plate.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:37 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Well, I might just do the all-plastic, too. I'd go with the dry filters just because I already have their dry filter and cleaner for my Golf R.

Now, to convince my wife.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:44 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

So now that I am looking even further, this is an old trick at Porsche... they did the same thing for the 997's. They had flat air filters, then for the 4.0 they made a better dual cone airbox (that costs a million dollars)

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/RS40AI.html

Then Dundon made their own and got some power out of it
https://www.dundonmotorsports.com/pr...n-fiber-airbox

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 11-05-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:47 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

One other thought. For those of us who have had the heat shield recall / retrofit completed - would it impede installation of this airbox?

Old 11-05-2020, 03:50 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by koala
One other thought. For those of us who have had the heat shield recall / retrofit completed - would it impede installation of this airbox?
I have the recall done, so I will let you know. My thought is the car was fine for 8 years without that shield.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:51 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

So now that I am looking even further, this is an old trick at Porsche... they did the same thing for the 997's. They had flat air filters, then for the 4.0 they made a better dual cone airbox (that costs a million dollars)

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/RS40AI.html

Then Dundon made their own and got some power out of it
https://www.dundonmotorsports.com/pr...n-fiber-airbox
But that is all for the 997, we are talking about the 991, none of that stuff will fit. Or did you just post for comparison?
$7k for an airbox is, just WOW!
Old 11-05-2020, 03:55 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
But that is all for the 997, we are talking about the 991, none of that stuff will fit. Or did you just post for comparison?
$7k for an airbox is, just WOW!
Just for comparison, and that the same logic applied, flat filter, then better cone filters

Old 11-05-2020, 03:56 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

I have the recall done, so I will let you know. My thought is the car was fine for 8 years without that shield.
Indeed. I wish I hadn't had the heat shield campaign done as it rattles like crazy. It also took 4 dealer visits and two loaner Cayenne's for them to solve all the vacuum line issues they created, lol.

The problem is the heat shield is riveted in place so I imagine it's not the easiest thing to remove now.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:01 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

someone needs needs to buy that CF RS box and make a mold so we can have a plastic version for 1/10th!
The following users liked this post:
edirtaynine (02-12-2021)

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake