Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 12:43 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
You guys are such ricers, jk

Yes the sound changed, but it's different because the symposer was also removed at same time, so that bleating intake noise which you don't realize is there until it's gone, so it is quieter while driving and louder at high rpm if that makes sense. I really appreciated that change.

You could definitely keep the symposer with the AFE box, if you wanted to, for max induction noise. You would just have to add a bulkhead fitting similar to the one below, to the plastic airbox which wouldn't be hard to do. Just drill a hole into the plastic box and screw this on, then slide the symposer hose on it and viola. No issues with unfiltered air getting past the air filters because they are sealed on the plastic Y on the inside of the box.

https://www.amazon.com/Lifegard-Aqua...s_id=700755011

I also have headers and cat-back so once the valves open, the exhaust takes over as the orchestra.

I still stand by that this thing added some power up top. I am currently working with M-Engineering on a Stage 2 Cobb pro tune for my car. Hoping to throw it on dyno to see what I make once its done.
I fully embrace(d) my youth.

Sold my Subaru STi last summer, which definitely would qualify as Fast and Furious material, although I did ditch the huge wing on the trunk for a wingless trunk.

Still have my 3rd gen RX-7 and in the process of resurrecting it back to it's late 90s glory.

The following users liked this post:
AdamSanta85 (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 12:46 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
I fully embrace(d) my youth.

Sold my Subaru STi last summer, which definitely would qualify as Fast and Furious material, although I did ditch the huge wing on the trunk for a wingless trunk.

Still have my 3rd gen RX-7 and in the process of resurrecting it back to it's late 90s glory.
We have similar taste... I had a WRX and an STI at points... one with HKS Carbon Ti exhaust and other with Blitz NUR Spec, unequal headers and catless downpipes.

I still fantasize about getting a 3rd gen RX7 and watch Rob Dahm on Youtube for my fix.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:47 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

So in summary, if you want more induction noise.... go for the airbox but make sure to keep the symposer.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:53 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm definitely a ricer, I just put a deposit on a TLX Type S to replace my Golf R, haha

Appreciate the notes on this intake, for sure. I think I'm in the camp that prefers induction noise over exhaust noise. It's why I've been hesitant to add headers or sport cats. I think this gets back to having cold air intakes on my S2000's back in the day.
edirtaynine (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 01:02 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
We have similar taste... I had a WRX and an STI at points... one with HKS Carbon Ti exhaust and other with Blitz NUR Spec, unequal headers and catless downpipes.

I still fantasize about getting a 3rd gen RX7 and watch Rob Dahm on Youtube for my fix.
My STi was obnoxious with the Greddy TiC exhaust. Similar to you UEL headers and downpipe.

My FD is a single turbo, external wastegate piped into the DP, and a resonated MP (just helped with drone, and not volume) and Apex'i N1 duals (love how they look, but they are WAY TO LOUD). Both cars shoot (shot) flames which was both entertaining and interesting. Will be swapping out the N1 Duals for Tanabe Touring Medallion which should be much quieter. Booking a rebuild, and slowly acquiring parts.

But back on topic, glad to know that you can improve the induction noise (volume) on the 991.2.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:06 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

The intake noise on Hondas is always something I have loved. Had a friend growing up who had a 94 NSX with the Comptech S/C (literally had EVERY option that CT offered), and the VTEC induction noise always made me smile.

His car had such unique tone that I could always recognize the car miles away.

edirtaynine (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 02:01 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garfunkle
This intake is for a 991.1.... Cats and downpipes will help induction sounds on a #2 car though.
Thanks for clarifying. Still interested in a sound clip
Old 05-21-2021, 02:04 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Thanks for clarifying. Still interested in a sound clip
I can try to take a clip... you can't hear it just revving really, and under load when valves open it's all exhaust....
Old 05-21-2021, 02:25 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

The drivetrain layout of the 911 is definitely contributing to his.

In a traditional layout with the engine in the front, the intake noise is on an opposite end of the exhaust.

AdamSanta85 (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 02:49 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

To keep the sound symposer, here is a pic of the bottom side of the OEM airbox. I may try this mod next time I need to remove bumper just to see how it changes things.

1. Red - Sound symposer mechanism
2. Green - this will already be hooked up to car, this is what enters into the rear cabin area.
3. Yellow, mounting bracket for OEM airbox, can be unclipped
4. Blue - Where it attaches to intake tube. Connect this to bulkhead fitting on new airbox.
5. Purple - Vaccuum line connecting to Change Over Valve. Just leave it connected, the new airbox kit comes with a vaccuum cap you won't use.

Install fitting in red area

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 05-21-2021 at 02:54 PM.
koala (05-21-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 01:31 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
Unhappy AFE intake experience not great - dyno results here

I recently purchased and installed the AFE plastic intake and an IPD plenum on my 2012 991.1 911 S.

Each vendor claims a 15 horsepower gain. I dyno'd the car at a very experienced dyno/tuning shop before and after. The anemic results are attached, showing wheel horspower by the way, not crank hp, and are after a lot of time was invested working the tuning to see if more could be achieved. Bottom line is that the gains are 6 horsepower for the two bolt-ons combined, and then only between 6,500 and 7,000 RPM. Torque gain was less, but across a wider RPM band.

I spoke with each vendor after getting the results. IPD was candid and sympathetic and is working with me. AFE was dishonest and unbending, asserting that their claimed gains are only on stock vehicles, when the dyno charts posted above clearly show the tested vehicle had headers and a muffler bypass, as mine does. AFE did not acknowledge any ethical obligation to reveal that cars with other performance parts may not get the same results. My tuner/dyno guy stated before the work ithat my exhaust and some prior tuning was the low hanging fruit, producing close to 50 more horspwer than stock, and that the plenum and intake would not get much more, if any, in addition. He was right.

To be fair, I did not expect to see 30 more horsepower, but I was expecting more than 6, and across a wider RPM range.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2021_05_11_13_39_45.pdf (273.2 KB, 76 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by Scott O'Connor:
911newbee (07-19-2021), Speed2k (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 01:37 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott O'Connor
I recently purchased and installed the AFE plastic intake and an IPD plenum on my 2012 991.1 911 S.

Each vendor claims a 15 horsepower gain. I dyno'd the car at a very experienced dyno/tuning shop before and after. The anemic results are attached, showing wheel horspower by the way, not crank hp, and are after a lot of time was invested working the tuning to see if more could be achieved. Bottom line is that the gains are 6 horsepower for the two bolt-ons combined, and then only between 6,500 and 7,000 RPM. Torque gain was less, but across a wider RPM band.

I spoke with each vendor after getting the results. IPD was candid and sympathetic and is working with me. AFE was dishonest and unbending, asserting that their claimed gains are only on stock vehicles, when the dyno charts posted above clearly show the tested vehicle had headers and a muffler bypass, as mine does. AFE did not acknowledge any ethical obligation to reveal that cars with other performance parts may not get the same results. My tuner/dyno guy stated before the work ithat my exhaust and some prior tuning was the low hanging fruit, producing close to 50 more horspwer than stock, and that the plenum and intake would not get much more, if any, in addition. He was right.

To be fair, I did not expect to see 30 more horsepower, but I was expecting more than 6, and across a wider RPM range.
Dang, thanks for posting and the effort (and expense). 373whp is pretty nice though.

You can really see the achilles heel on these 991.1S cars is that crappy intake manifold/runners when comparing to the GTS/X51 cars. They almost intentionally hindered it. The power just dies off where that wonky wave thing is.

Are you done with power mods, or would you consider the Dundon runners which supposedly fix that high end die off?

Old 06-09-2021, 01:41 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts

I think I'm done on the power side. Moving to suspension. Have a set of Ohlins coilovers and GT3 lower control arms coming. Also did sound system upgrades I am happy with. Second wheel set for track/autocross days.

Dundon doesn't spec parts for straight entry level 911's, only GT3, GT2, etc., plus the kits they do have start at almost $6,000.

Last edited by Scott O'Connor; 06-09-2021 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:46 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

I think I'm done on the power side. Moving to suspension. Have a set of Ohlins coilovers and GT3 lower control arms coming. Also did sound system upgrades I am happy with. Second wheel set for track/autocross days.
Makes sense, and 373whp is no slouch.
The following 2 users liked this post by AdamSanta85:
desmotesta (06-09-2021), Porsche_nuts (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 01:49 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,064 Likes on 976 Posts

I am not saying that the gains are better than on the Dyno sheet, but is it possible that real gains dont show up till the car is actually moving at decent speeds? The Fans used by most dyno facilities cant even truly replicate 30 MPH wind let alone 60-80 or more.

Just a thought

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake